Who's turning off their lights tonight? Earth Hour

Talk about anything in here.

Who's turning off their lights tonight? Earth Hour

Postby Amzi Live » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:39 pm

So yeah,I have a friend who's really into this,and she keeps telling everyone about it. XP
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7319929.stm
Anyone planning on turning their lights at 8:30?
Heh,I'm turning mines off,but I'll be using my phone to brows online meanwhile.
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:48 pm

Nope.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Um...no. No I will not be taking part in this. Doing it for only one hour isn't really going to save much except maybe a few dollars on my next electric bill.

Also at least those Australians can go play games on the beach while their lights are out. In Oklahoma it's 30 degrees today. :|
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Amzi Live » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:06 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1301709) wrote:Um...no. No I will not be taking part in this. Doing it for only one hour isn't really going to save much except maybe a few dollars on my next electric bill.

Also at least those Australians can go play games on the beach while their lights are out. In Oklahoma it's 30 degrees today. :|

Oh yeah,totally! SOmething like this won't change a thing. Anyone can turn their lights off,but just keep living in a way that shows they neglect the environment. LOL,and yeah I think you're right about Australia. XP Since I live in PR I get to play games on the beach too. lol it's like 76 F right now.
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:07 pm

I will be.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Lady Kenshin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Probably not, but it sounds cool!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:24 pm

All my lights where out 8:30 this morning while I was sleeping so I'm covered...

Really I think it's corny but whatever makes people feel good. If they really meant it and wanted to do any good, they'll switch to candles and lanterns permanently...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:27 pm

IF I remember :)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Nate » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:20 pm

Whoops guess I didn't.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:17 pm

I got a phone call, and forgot ^^; whoops

well when you only find out about something like five hours ago its kinda hard to keep that in mind XD
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Kaligraphic » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:24 pm

I will not.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Midori » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:57 pm

Is it okay if I do it tomorrow instead? :P
Midori

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:59 pm

I did not. Meh... If everyone turned off their lights and TVs and computers and such in the same area at the same time, it probably wouldn't be very good for the producers of electricity, and not just because they'd have to charge less on bills... Of course, JUST turning lights off shouldn't be an issue, though. One way or another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:20 pm

I'm pretty sure during daylight hours, most folks don't run every last light in their home anyways. (Though, being in a basement, I kinda haveta keep a few lamps one xD )
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Ah, so that's why the lights across the street or somwhere like that were all off o.o There was some slight storming, so I thought the power may have went out on them xD;

(Not exactly across the street, but the street behind them)
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:51 am

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1301799) wrote:I'm pretty sure during daylight hours, most folks don't run every last light in their home anyways. (Though, being in a basement, I kinda haveta keep a few lamps one xD )

I only turn the lights on in the daytime if it's really cloudy and dark outside. And even then, usually just a lamp or something.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby minakichan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:36 am

I was asleep from 8PM yesterday to 11 AM today (except I woke up once around 6AM to check the time).

...Yay me?
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:25 pm

I question the validity of these type of "mass group projects" that people convince others to take part in. Conforming to a group ideal and at the same time feeling good for doing something which is supposedly helpful for the environment? Really, how does partaking this make one more "conscientious" for the environment?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was all just one big social experiment.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby bakura_fan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:53 pm

XD my parents did the exact opposite. They turned on every light and electronic thing they could think of.
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1301959) wrote:I question the validity of these type of "mass group projects" that people convince others to take part in. Conforming to a group ideal and at the same time feeling good for doing something which is supposedly helpful for the environment? Really, how does partaking this make one more "conscientious" for the environment?

I personally think recycling is a much more responsible and effective thing to do, which is why I try to do it as much as I can.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:23 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1301984) wrote:I personally think recycling is a much more responsible and effective thing to do, which is why I try to do it as much as I can.

Trufax, Nette.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:52 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]So, if I was driving down the street around this time, was I supposed to turn my headlights off? (J/K!)

I forgot all about it, truth be told. I think Baton Rouge was just as lit as it normally was.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:00 pm

I did that with a friend on my dorm floor. We sat in her dark room and listened to Earth Songs (Captain Planet end song) on her laptop (on battery power) while drinking hot cocoa.

The sad thing is, we had no batteries for our flashlights and had to keep the door open, to shed in some hallway light! o_o
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:24 am

So was this one of those things where you just turned the lights out, or were you supposed to turn off every electric thing in your house? Because I don't think I could justify unplugging my fridge for an hour. Besides, I can't get back there to unplug it anyways. >_>

[SIZE="1"]I am just being obnoxious; ignore me XD[/SIZE]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Sparx00 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:09 am

I forget to turn mine on so, I've been doing this for I don't know how long. XD

I like natural light better anyways. :)
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:38 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1302293) wrote:So was this one of those things where you just turned the lights out, or were you supposed to turn off every electric thing in your house? Because I don't think I could justify unplugging my fridge for an hour. Besides, I can't get back there to unplug it anyways. >_>

[size=75]I am just being obnoxious]

:D I think it was just lights, digital clocks, computers--stuff that you can turn off easily without any harsh or smelly consequences.
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Return to General