Anime Insider ends publication after eight years

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime Insider ends publication after eight years

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:02 am

ANN

ANN wrote:Rob Bricken, a former editor of Anime Insider magazine, reports that Wizard Entertainment is ending publication of the monthly title. The editorial staff has been laid off. The magazine began in 2001 as a one-shot special publication under the name Anime Invasion, but soon changed its name to avoid trademark infringement with another company's brand. It was a quarterly magazine in the beginning, and it eventually turned into a monthly magazine and remained on that schedule for most of its eight-year history. The 67th issue shipped earlier this month.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby minakichan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:30 am

So, since ever-so-sensitive Zac Bertschy was threatening the banhammer on anyone who expressed even the slightest dislike of his dear little precious baby, I'll say it here instead of on ANN.

Anime Insider is a pretty terrible magazine. It's actually quite embarassing to read. Good riddance.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:38 pm

minakichan (post: 1301027) wrote:Anime Insider is a pretty terrible magazine. It's actually quite embarassing to read. Good riddance.

...[color=lime]IN YOUR OPINION. Three little words that can prevent a lot of trouble. Remember that, young blood. [/color]

Personally, I really liked Anime Insider. I got a copy of it in my desk at work, and I was tempted to look at it for nostalgia sake, but as I was moving into my new desk at the time, I thought better of it! It's a crying shame that it's going the way of NewType USA or, dare I say it, PiQ?

More proof that the economy affects everyone big or small. (Granted, I know that there was no specific reason noted in the article why they were stopping publication, but one can only assume...)
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:56 pm

KhakiBlueSocks (post: 1301067) wrote:More proof that the economy affects everyone big or small. (Granted, I know that there was no specific reason noted in the article why they were stopping publication, but one can only assume...)

Or it could just be proof that print media is a thing of the past and that most people get their info online now.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:04 pm

The thing that I feel bad about is, the people that work there. It was on of the longest running anime mag that we had and now people are out of a job.

As for Anime Insider was a good or bad magazine, I can't comment on that. I only bought one issue and that was for the girls of ADV, so that I could get autograph.

Now the only US anime magazine is Otatu USA. I only bought one issue of that as well and looks like a copy of what Newtype USA was.

Where I may not like a magazine or a company for that matter, I feel bad for anyone that has or could lost their job with any company.

Roy Mustang

Postby MasterDias » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Yeah, even mainstream magazines and newspapers have been in serious trouble for awhile now. The economy probably exacerbates the situation a bit, but isn't the direct cause.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:13 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1301075) wrote:Now the only US anime magazine is Otatu USA. I only bought one issue of that as well and looks like a copy of what Newtype USA was.

Otaku USA is a poor-man's version of NewType USA in my opinion. It's a good magazine, but I only bought maybe 1 or 2 copies. The thing I didn't like about it was that it had episodes of anime that NewType USA already put out like "Boys Be" or "Ninja Nonsense"...that kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

But yeah, it truly sucks that a bunch of guys and gals are going to loose their jobs over this. I hope they're going to be allright.

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby rocklobster » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:04 pm

Oh come on, Anime Insider was a great mag. Sure they milked a bunch of titles for more than they're worth (I won't say which ones), but I thought they were pretty good.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:14 pm

This is probably the same sort of thing that gaming magazines have been going through, with sites offering more up-to-date news and the same quality of editorial and advertising in print bringing in less and less revenue.
blkmage

Postby ashfire » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:25 pm

Animerica and Anime Insider. Now where am I going to get my info.
Now Viz prints a little info(I mean little) Animerica as Spring, Summer,Fall and Winter issue but it just not the same.
ashfire

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Anime News Network is a good source.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:49 pm

KhakiBlueSocks (post: 1301067) wrote:...[color=lime]IN YOUR OPINION. Three little words that can prevent a lot of trouble. Remember that, young blood.[/color]

Well she made a subjective assertion... hence why wouldn't it be her opinion? I think everyone is aware that what she is saying is subjective. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby minakichan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:18 pm

KhakiBlueSocks (post: 1301067) wrote:...[color=lime]IN YOUR OPINION. Three little words that can prevent a lot of trouble. Remember that, young blood.[/color]

No, actually, this is a fact. You can even find it in the Bible.

"The simulacrum is never what hides the truth-- it is truth that hides the fact that there is none. The simulacrum is true. Also, Anime Insider is a terrible magazine."
-Ecclesiastes

I did say "dislike;" I think that definitely should have tipped off the whole "subjective assertion" thing.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby ADXC » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:21 pm

NOESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
Oh no! WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO US?! FOR THE LOVE! DO THEY WANT US TO STARVE?!

KhakiBlueSocks (post: 1301080) wrote:Otaku USA is a poor-man's version of NewType USA in my opinion. It's a good magazine, but I only bought maybe 1 or 2 copies.

Yeah, OTAKU USA is the poor man's Newtype. However, sir, I am a poor man. So I'll take! JK

But seriously it's really the only anime magazine left, so Im just going to take what I can get(OK so maybe I wasn't lying about the poor man thing..)

Remember that OTAKU was $10-11, but now it's only $5-6. So it's now about the same price AI was.
ADXC

Postby Benn » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:33 pm

i feel sorry for the people that lost their jobs. :(

however, the only real anime magazine that i've liked is ann's protoculture addicts. i feel they have more meat to their reviews and their articles aren't two page advertisements such as newtype.

i think it's true that in part the web is at fault for putting magazines out of business. but glorious nippon has solved that problem! they give away exclusive freebies with some of their magazines.. such as...

Haruhi Revoltech Busts!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3191/3113080365_0949aea671.jpg

I've also seen cards, models, exclusive mini mangas, etc shrinkwrapped together with popular japanese magazines.

I wish they'd do the same in America.
Benn

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Benn (post: 1301188) wrote:i think it's true that in part the web is at fault for putting magazines out of business. but glorious nippon has solved that problem! they give away exclusive freebies with some of their magazines...

Actually, it's probably because they serialize manga and light novels, which aren't available on the internets or anywhere else until they're published as tankobon, as opposed to only containing news, editorial, and reviews which are.
blkmage

Postby Benn » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:36 pm

blkmage (post: 1301192) wrote:Actually, it's probably because they serialize manga and light novels, which aren't available on the internets or anywhere else until they're published as tankobon, as opposed to only containing news, editorial, and reviews which are.

I think the freebies help even with serialized stuff. In the Japanese bookstore near me I even see freebies given in health and beauty magazines. Like I hinted at there was a free model in a hobby magazine about gunpla and military models. There's free video DVDs sometimes in the magazines for video games. There's free light novels in other magazines.

What I believe they're doing by this in part is offering a physical asset that the web can't offer. Anyone with a scanner can rip off the latest One Piece manga and there's sources like ANN to get all the anime news one would ever want.

But it's those physical exclusives that add extra value and help persuade someone to spend the money instead of going to the internets.

They actually poked fun of this in Lucky Star in one of the episodes where Konata admits to sometimes buying up to three magazines for the exclusives.

(sorry to get off topic XD anime insider will be missed)
Benn

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:29 pm

awww that's kinda depressing XD I remember when I was younger I'd buy that mag because it was cheaper than Newtype, and I would cut out the pictures xD. (I never bought it every month though, like maybe once or twice a year...

I did like to flip through while I was waiting for my mom to finish shopping though. xD

But I'd say its the economy plus like everyone said PRinting is going out of style.. :/ People can get their info online for FREE, instead of paying 5 bucks or more for their anime news and waiting a month they can get an instantaneous news item...

kinda sad, but that's how our world is now xD.

Get used to it... I just hope that books and comics won't stop being printed on paper.

I mean there's just something to reading a good ol' fashioned tangible item XD.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:26 pm

toonman wrote:IS OTAKU USA still publishing? I've only seen one issue.

Yep, its still being publish.

They have a web site.

[font="Book Antiqua"]
[color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang
[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby ilikegir33 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:53 am

blkmage (post: 1301095) wrote:This is probably the same sort of thing that gaming magazines have been going through, with sites offering more up-to-date news and the same quality of editorial and advertising in print bringing in less and less revenue.

blkmage is right. EGM, my fave gaming magazine, died a few months ago. And the same thing happened to Anime Insider now. First Newtype, then EGM, and now...and now Anime Insider...I wonder what's next? Now I have to go online to get my info. But nothing feels better than lifting the printed pages of a magazine.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:19 am

ilikegir33 (post: 1301264) wrote:blkmage is right. EGM, my fave gaming magazine, died a few months ago. And the same thing happened to Anime Insider now. First Newtype, then EGM, and now...and now Anime Insider...I wonder what's next? Now I have to go online to get my info. But nothing feels better than lifting the printed pages of a magazine.

Wait, Newtype is no more?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby blkmage » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:01 am

Newtype USA is dead. Japan still has Newtype and continues to be useful for announcing new projects and stuff.
blkmage

Postby ADXC » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:24 am

toonman (post: 1301213) wrote:IS OTAKU USA still publishing? I've only seen one issue.

Roy Mustang (post: 1301229) wrote:Yep, its still being publish.

They have a web site.

Col. Roy Mustang

Yeah, it's still being published. I recently bought the April issue, you know the one with the "What is MOE?" article.
ADXC

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:43 am

I kind of wondering if, Newtype USA would still be around. When it folded up, they were not hurting, but doing very well.

I would like to know what the deal was with the Japan publishing company Kadokawa Shoten and ADV.

Roy Mustang

Postby ADXC » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:53 am

Yeah that is kind of perplexing. Not all places go out of business or publishing because of financial issues. Sometimes there are other things involved. I also wonder what happened. Maybe they didn't feel like shareing the information with America in that way or something, I don't know.
ADXC

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:25 am

From what little info that did come out. It sounded like Newtype USA did better then what Kadokawa Shoten thought it would. In turn, they wanted a bigger piece of the pie from the money that ADV was getting from it. ADV didn't want to do that and just drop it and started PIQ.

But no matter the reason, both ADV and Kadokawa Shoten were at fault for letting anime fans down here in the US with dropping the Newtype USA.

Roy Mustang

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:33 pm

blkmage (post: 1301281) wrote:Newtype USA is dead. Japan still has Newtype and continues to be useful for announcing new projects and stuff.

Ahh, that's crappy. I was hoping to get a subscription.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:45 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Ahh, that's crappy. I was hoping to get a subscription.

Newtype USA ceased publication in February 2008. Then ADV came out with PIQ and only last four issues, with PIQ magazine being discontinued in July of 2008.

Roy Mustang

Postby ADXC » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Uh yeah, Newtype USA has been dead for more than a year. Then they tried to pass that stupid PIQ magazine intended to piq our interest. Well sadly, it did not piq it at all.
ADXC

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:53 pm

ADXC (post: 1301422) wrote:Uh yeah, Newtype USA has been dead for more than a year. Then they tried to pass that stupid PIQ magazine intended to piq our interest. Well sadly, it did not piq it at all.

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]PiQ lost my interest with this article in it's premiere edition--especially this article (As pictured below):

"Is Anime Dead?"

Ummm...yeah...if anime is dead, then why am I buying this magazine? If anime is dead, then that means I won't have to waste my $6.99 on a...somewhat anime magazine.

I found the 50th Issue of "Anime Insider" with Rei and Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion on the cover...I think I'll put it away somewhere for safe keeping along with all my old Newtype USA magazines. [/color][/SIZE][/font]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KhakiBlueSocks

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews