Colbert wins NASA space station name contest

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Whitefang » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:40 am

Nate, I can't tell if you are serious or not. I'll pretend you are serious.

Nate (post: 1300508) wrote:I want Serenity to lose simply so that all the Joss Whedon slaves will whine.

I have watched neither Firefly nor Serenity. The word serenity, however, at least has a more general meaning.

Also, I like how they hold a democratic election and when they get a result they don't like they say "Well maybe we'll just ignore it." The Founding Fathers would be proud.

A person is smart but people are stupid.
Look at the all-star starting line selection in hockey this year. Not a single Red Wing. Not a single one on a team that could be the West All Star team.
I believe the person most at fault here is Colbert, for turning what should have been a cool "democratic" process into a farce.

So then why aren't you mad that they named a space shuttle after Star Trek? Why aren't you mad that we drive cars named Ford, Chevrolet, and Lincoln?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Enterprise
wikipedia wrote:The name Enterprise comes from a long series of ships. The first was the French frigate L'Entreprise, captured by the British in 1705. The British rechristened the ship HMS Enterprise for use by the Royal Navy. A further nine Royal Navy commissioned warships carried the name "Enterprise". The first United States ship to use the name USS Enterprise was a Revolutionary War-era sloop-of-war. The eighth American ship to bear this name was the world's first nuclear aircraft carrier. The term USS is used in the United States Navy to designate its sea-going vessels and is an acronym for "United States Ship".

Naming things after themselves or famous people is common, just because you don't like the name doesn't mean you can ignore democracy.

Unless you're a Communist.

Famous people, yes. But the reason we drive Ford cars is because he named the company after his surname. Same with Chevrolet (which is now owned by GM). Lincoln is not popular by way of pop culture, but was a man whose respect is garnered by many. I have no qualms about naming things after successful presidents or other world leaders (Or people who have had generally positive influences and lend inspiration on the progress of man, as discussed earlier).

Radical Dreamer (post: 1300549) wrote:Space exploration is srs bzns, yo.

Yes. Yes it is. The cool thing about science, though, is that if you actually make an important discovery, you can name it whatever you want. Take this for example. As you can see, even then it is criticised
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:51 am

Whitefang (post: 1300554) wrote:A person is smart but people are stupid.

Followed by:

I believe the person most at fault here is Colbert, for turning what should have been a cool "democratic" process into a farce.

Does not compute.

Famous people, yes. But the reason we drive Ford cars is because he named the company after his surname. Same with Chevrolet (which is now owned by GM). Lincoln is not popular by way of pop culture, but was a man whose respect is garnered by many. I have no qualms about naming things after successful presidents or other world leaders (Or people who have had generally positive influences and lend inspiration on the progress of man, as discussed earlier).

I'm glad that we agree on this. Colbert is just the man to name this after!
Cognitive Gear

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:05 am

NASA is an entirely irrelevant branch of government. It's full of Pork (SPACE PEN!) and everything they do can be done 10x cheaper by private companies. Name the spacestation "Mama luigi"

</rant>

Colbert's is as good as any other name for the thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:34 am

Radical Dreamer wrote:Space exploration is srs bzns, yo.

It is, when the words Colbert, NASA, space station and space are all used in one thread. :eyeroll:

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang
[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:46 am

Whitefang wrote:Look at the all-star starting line selection in hockey this year. Not a single Red Wing. Not a single one on a team that could be the West All Star team.

Don't care about hockey. Also, hockey players are probably chosen by the team manager or team coach or whatever, not by people voting who they want on the team, so your comparison doesn't work at even a rudimentary level.

I was going to say something about you putting the word democratic in quotes, but now that I think about it, it's good that you put the word democratic in quotes.

Because any process where the overseeing body believes it can ignore the winner of a popular election certainly isn't democratic. It'd be the equivalent of if, in the past election, Congress had said "You know, Obama got more votes than McCain, but we'll make McCain the President anyway!" What a terrible insult to democracy that would be.

Any time the results of a democratic election are ignored, Stalin smiles. NASA must love Stalin.
Lincoln is not popular by way of pop culture, but was a man whose respect is garnered by many.

But they're still using his name to sell a car, and not even a basic car, LUXURY cars. Luxury cars named after a man who grew up in a log cabin? They're not doing out of "respect" for Lincoln, they're doing it because they said "Hey what's a name people will like that will get them to buy our cars?" You must have a very innocent view of the world if you think a marketing team named something for any other reason than to make money.
The cool thing about science, though, is that if you actually make an important discovery, you can name it whatever you want. Take this for example. As you can see, even then it is criticised

Wait, so you tell me it's wrong to name a space station (or a room of it) after a famous comedian who has had a profound impact on American culture, yet you have absolutely zero problems with naming a protein after a blue video game mascot?

Hypocrisy much?

Unless your counter is "Well, he named it himself, he didn't hold a vote to choose the name!" So then would you have had no problems if NASA decided, without a vote, to name it Colbert? Or would you still be complaining?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Momo-P » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:17 pm

I think naming it Colbert would be hilarious and awesome. One of the reports said the name was suppose to represent people working together--well isn't a whole bunch of people agreeing and voting on a name "working together"? I mean sure it's not some "deep and meaningful" word, but who cares? People had fun voting for it and hearing this information makes people smile. I think that's much more important than trying to look sophisticated.

Plus imagine if they change it. From then on out, everyone will only regard Serenity as "the crappy room that should've been named Colbert".
Momo-P

Postby Whitefang » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:31 pm

Nate (post: 1300599) wrote:Don't care about hockey. Also, hockey players are probably chosen by the team manager or team coach or whatever, not by people voting who they want on the team, so your comparison doesn't work at even a rudimentary level.

They had the fans vote on the starting lineup. Guess who was in the starting lineup? Only two teams were represented in that line, the Anaheim Ducks (California) and the Chicago Blackhawks (Illinois). Gee, what are the most populous states again? As for the East, it was 2 teams again: Pittsburgh and Montreal. That's what happens when you let people vote for things. They don't look at it objectively, they vote for whatever is popular. It was a popularity contest, and that's what Colbert turned this into. I don't mind if he makes a suggestion and tells his viewers to vote for his suggestion, but to suggest his own name? How narcissistic can you get? It is an insult to what NASA attempted to do, and I do not respect or appreciate his actions.

Whitefang

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:45 pm

The funny thing about all of this is that it became serious business when my opinion was questioned instead of just taken at face value and left alone.

Sometimes, it's better for a person not to go down a rabbit hole.
Hiyakawa Sayaka (my character from my writing) wrote:God has given me a gift, that I really don't know what to do with. I guess, all I can do is put it in his hands, keep my hands inside the car, and expect to end up destroying parts of Tokyo with my perfectly good guitar.

Revelation 1:10-11: I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, saying, [color="Red"]"Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches to Ephesus and to Smyrna, and to Pergamum and to Theyatira, and at Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea."[/color]
Sakaki Onsei

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:51 pm

Whitefang wrote:Foot. Meet mouth. They had the fans vote on the starting lineup.

As I said, I don't watch hockey.
Gee, what are the most populous states again?

California and Texas. And New York. And Florida.

Illinois is fifth.
They don't look at it objectively, they vote for whatever is popular.

I don't know if you watch football, but let me tell you something. The Dallas Cowboys this past season. If you look at them from a statistics, PURE statistics, they were a fantastic team. They should have won pretty easily. But what was their season like? 9-7. They didn't even make it to the playoffs.

You can't look at everything from pure statistics. There were injuries, and there was a lot of in-fighting. The Cowboys this past season did NOT work well together as a team, which mean their stats meant squat, since they couldn't get their teamwork together.

Meaning that just because fans of hockey didn't vote for guys with the best stats doesn't make them idiots. The 2008 Cowboys prove pretty definitively that best stats does not make the best team.
It was a popularity contest, and that's what Colbert turned this into.

The Presidential elections are popularity contests.

Congressional elections are popularity contests.

Mayoral elections are popularity contests.

GUESS WHAT? EVERY election is a popularity contest. So if you have a problem with what Colbert did, you have a problem with AMERICA. If you don't like my country, feel free to move to China.
It is an insult to what NASA attempted to do, and I do not respect or appreciate his actions.

Suggesting your own name for a naming contest is insulting? Logic does not follow your statement.

Geez, just because you have no sense of humor doesn't make the name an insult to NASA.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Whitefang » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:57 pm

Nate (post: 1300614) wrote:As I said, I don't watch hockey.

California and Texas. And New York. And Florida.

Illinois is fifth.

So after we think about this for a second, we realize that the Dallas Stars are not doing very well this year and hockey is not as popular in Texas as it is in Illinois and California. We then realize that teams from New York and Florida are in the Eastern Conference, and voila.

I don't know if you watch football, but let me tell you something. The Dallas Cowboys this past season. If you look at them from a statistics, PURE statistics, they were a fantastic team. They should have won pretty easily. But what was their season like? 9-7. They didn't even make it to the playoffs.

You can't look at everything from pure statistics. There were injuries, and there was a lot of in-fighting. The Cowboys this past season did NOT work well together as a team, which mean their stats meant squat, since they couldn't get their teamwork together.

Meaning that just because fans of hockey didn't vote for guys with the best stats doesn't make them idiots. The 2008 Cowboys prove pretty definitively that best stats does not make the best team.

Oh, I watch it. The Patriots had an 11-5 record, but because of the rules, which are objective in nature, the 9-7 Cardinals made it into the playoffs instead.

The Presidential elections are popularity contests.

Congressional elections are popularity contests.

Mayoral elections are popularity contests.

GUESS WHAT? EVERY election is a popularity contest. So if you have a problem with what Colbert did, you have a problem with AMERICA. If you don't like my country, feel free to move to China.

Suggesting your own name for a naming contest is insulting? Logic does not follow your statement.

Geez, just because you have no sense of humor doesn't make the name an insult to NASA.

I have a sense of humor. I use it when appropriate. Colbert took advantage of NASA trying to increase its PR, got a couple of yucks, and now we may have to live with the "Colbert Toilet" for a very long time. This does not sit well with me. That is my opinion. I feel that we have now reached the point where we cannot discuss this further, and I will leave my argument as it is. Feel free to take the final word.

Whitefang

Postby Kaligraphic » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:02 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1300590) wrote:NASA is an entirely irrelevant branch of government. It's full of Pork (SPACE PEN!) and everything they do can be done 10x cheaper by private companies. Name the spacestation "Mama luigi"

</rant>

Actually, the space pen was entirely developed by Fisher. NASA didn't chip in anything. They used grease pencils just like the Russians until Fisher asked them to give it a try.

And, just to annoy Stephen Colbert, I say name it the Colbert Module, but define the official pronounciation as COAL-bert, not coal-BEAR.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:15 pm

As Abraham Lincoln has been mentioned in this thread, I feel the following is now appropriate:

Seriously guys. It is the name of a room. A room that none of you will be living in! It is not a big deal, and if this kind of ridiculous bickering keeps up I might just have to lock this thread. Final warning.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Whitefang » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1300622) wrote:Seriously guys. It is the name of a room. A room that none of you will be living in! It is not a big deal

You make an intriguing point, and it is well taken. Sorry for making a big deal out of it.

Whitefang

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:18 pm

Sakaki Onsei (post: 1300610) wrote:The funny thing about all of this is that it became serious business when my opinion was questioned instead of just taken at face value and left alone.

Sometimes, it's better for a person not to go down a rabbit hole.
Sakaki, I understand where you're coming from completely. Insulting generalization should not be challenged whatsoever. Especially not over something as Significantly Vital to Society as the naming of a room in a cardboard space fort.
Fish and Chips

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:36 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1300625) wrote:Sakaki, I understand where you're coming from completely. Insulting generalization should not be challenged whatsoever. Especially not over something as Significantly Vital to Society as the naming of a room in a cardboard space fort.

I was referring to my earliest post, saying that I don't like it and leaving it at that. If people hadn't decided to ask me more, none of this would have come forth.

Again, sometimes it is better to not go down the rabbit hole because otherwise you get stuck.

And I stick by my generalization, and think it rings more true now than ever before.
Hiyakawa Sayaka (my character from my writing) wrote:God has given me a gift, that I really don't know what to do with. I guess, all I can do is put it in his hands, keep my hands inside the car, and expect to end up destroying parts of Tokyo with my perfectly good guitar.

Revelation 1:10-11: I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, saying, [color="Red"]"Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches to Ephesus and to Smyrna, and to Pergamum and to Theyatira, and at Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea."[/color]
Sakaki Onsei

Postby minakichan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:09 pm

Only on CAA, only on CAA.

And maybe a chanboard.

That said, no matter what your opinion, please realize that, as usual, Colbert is doing this for the lulz, not because he thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread or he wants to make a fool out of NASA. It's the character, not him. I mean come on, he's a freaking Sunday School teacher.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Tarnish » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:22 pm

Sakaki, are you going to keep hiding behind insults, or do you plan on actually posting something substancial?
Tarnish

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:26 pm

Kaligraphic (post: 1300619) wrote:Actually, the space pen was entirely developed by Fisher. NASA didn't chip in anything. They used grease pencils just like the Russians until Fisher asked them to give it a try.

Ah, I stand corrected on that issue, then. I still think NASA is an unnecessary and wasteful organization. Even if the money spent on it wouldn't boost things if spread evenly over every government program, perhaps putting that money into a DIFFERENT single project may prove fruitful. Maybe taking the state with the lowest literacy rate and attempting to boost it for a few years at a time?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:57 pm

Tarnish (post: 1300643) wrote:Sakaki, are you going to keep hiding behind insults, or do you plan on actually posting something substancial?

Tarnish, is there a reason you are not letting this issue die? I have explained my opinion, which is just that: an opinion. I believe my statements have been substantial up to the point where I've had to refer people to my original post where I merely gave a non-chalant opinion that, had it not been challenged in as virulent a way as it was, would have gone into the ethers.

It is an object lesson for people. When someone disagrees, sometimes it is better to let it be than to be hostile.

Now, for the last time. Drop. It.

Sakaki Onsei

Postby Tarnish » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:07 pm

You can't just insult the majority of people on a thread and tell everybody to ignore it. That's just something you don't do. You didn't even apologize, or attempt to rationalize your behavior. You just told people to ignore it.

If you didn't want people to challenge your opinion, why did you post it at all?
Tarnish

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:16 pm

You can't just insult the majority of people on a thread and tell everybody to ignore it.

Had it not been brought up in the first place, specifically by ChurchPunk, things would have been fine. Post #7 has my opinion, and Post #8 has the statement that "Why don't you like it? It's not like he did anything wrong.." That has an accusatory tone, a demeaning tone that was quite insulting to someone like myself.

Then it exploded from there with Fish and Chips's #10 statement that "Yeah, they shouldn't sully the prestige of the international space station by naming it after American pop culture... oh wait". Fish and Chips assumes that I am a fan of the show Firefly, to which I cannot be since I have never seen the show and do not plan to see it. Fish and Chips made an incorrect assumption and attempted to use sarcasm to belittle.

Had there been no response at all, despite the assumption that I do not like Colbert (despite how accurate it may be), things would not have escalated to it's current position where you continue to pursue this topic like that detective in Les Miserables.

That's just something you don't do. You didn't even apologize, or attempt to rationalize your behavior. You just told people to ignore it.

I do not need to rationalize my behavior. I stated a non-chalant opinion, others made assumptions about it, and it escalated to a point that has pitted myself against many of the people on this board who seem to be interested in censoring every contrary opinion besides the one they like.

If you didn't want people to challenge your opinion, why did you post it at all?

I posted my original, non-chalant opinion in post #7 because I was in the minority. I did not like it. Had it been challenged a little differently, we may not be in this current state where you're continuing a dialogue that has removed the topic of conversation away from the naming of a room on a space station to attacking someone with a differing viewpoint.

You are, pretty much, validating my viewpoint.

Sakaki Onsei

Postby Tarnish » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:22 pm

OH FOR GODS SAKE WE DONT CARE ABOUT THE NAME, ALRIGHT?

We DO care, however, that you blatantly insulted a large group of people because they have a different opinion than you.

But this is just going to keep going around and around, so I give up. Happy? All I wanted was a "Maybe that was uncalled for", or anything, but no. You are so proud you won't even suck it up and give me that. So yeah, nice going, I quit.
Tarnish

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:28 pm

Yeah, this thread is going to last through the night.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Whitefang » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:29 pm

Tarnish (post: 1300684) wrote:OH FOR GODS SAKE WE DONT CARE ABOUT THE NAME, ALRIGHT?

We DO care, however, that you blatantly insulted a large group of people because they have a different opinion than you.

But this is just going to keep going around and around, so I give up. Happy? All I wanted was a "Maybe that was uncalled for", or anything, but no. You are so proud you won't even suck it up and give me that. So yeah, nice going, I quit.

Woah, settle down.

I'm not sure why you took offense at any of Sakaki's comments. Did you assume that he is calling you mindless because you like Colbert? That's the only thing I can see occurring here. Sakaki stated his opinion. He doesn't have to necessarily believe that everyone who likes Colbert is mindless, it's just the image he associates with Colbert. Why should he apologize for his opinion? It's not derogatory as far as I can see. I'm sure a lot of people would say stupid things about what I like, too, but it's not a big deal, I enjoy my hobbies. As far as I know, most people have pursuits that even they themselves would consider mindless. It's not a bad thing!

I'm sorry you feel owed an apology. I'm not sure why you do. You have to realize that even if an apology is warranted here, you're not always going to get it, and you'll have to move on with life.

Whitefang

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:30 pm

-removed original post-

And now that this cycle has been completed, we can get back to the topic at hand.

And thank you, Whitefang.

Sakaki Onsei

Postby RobinSena » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:33 pm

Sakaki Onsei (post: 1300679) wrote:Had it not been brought up in the first place, specifically by ChurchPunk, things would have been fine. Post #7 has my opinion, and Post #8 has the statement that "Why don't you like it? It's not like he did anything wrong.." That has an accusatory tone, a demeaning tone that was quite insulting to someone like myself.

Wow, I didn't know that stating the fact that he didn't do anything wrong, and to ask why you dislike it(seeing as you didn't explain, all you said was that you didn't like it, and that you hope NASA overrides it), is such a sin. Please accept my apologies, oh great one.
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:36 pm

ChurchPunk (post: 1300693) wrote:Wow, I didn't know that stating the fact that he didn't do anything wrong, and to ask why you dislike it(seeing as you didn't explain, all you said was that you didn't like it, and that you hope NASA overrides it), is such a sin. Please accept my apologies, oh great one.

Apology accepted, however sarcastic it may be.

Sakaki Onsei

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:52 pm

You all don't get it.

Words are completely relative to begin with.

Anyway, I personally find that the word "Colbert" is synonymous with America and/or Calmness because it's in accordance with my own subjective understanding. Therefore, "Colbert" is just as valid as "Serenity". Post-Modernity comes to save the day!

And I'm sad that you think I'm mindless. D:
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby minakichan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:55 pm

Let's do something with this thread before Corrie comes back to lock it.

I propose playing a game. How about the "Guess what time she'll get online and lock the thread" game?

I'll start: 8PM EST, today.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:56 pm

I thank you all for amusing me so much. This thread is comedy gold.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Previous Next

Return to General