Colbert wins NASA space station name contest

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:52 pm

Yahoo wrote:WASHINGTON – NASA's online contest to name a new room at the international space station went awry. Comedian Stephen Colbert won.

The name "Colbert" beat out NASA's four suggested options in the space agency's effort to have the public help name the addition. The new room will be launched later this year.

NASA's mistake was allowing write-ins. Colbert urged viewers of his Comedy Central show, "The Colbert Report" to write in his name. And they complied, with 230,539 votes. That clobbered Serenity, one of the NASA choices, by more than 40,000 votes. Nearly 1.2 million votes were cast by the time the contest ended Friday.

NASA reserves the right to choose an appropriate name. Agency spokesman John Yembrick said NASA will decide in April, but will give top vote-getters "the most consideration."

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby minakichan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:07 pm

\o/.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:23 pm

Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:23 pm

Epic.

Sadly, it probably won't actually be named that. NASA still holds the ultimate naming rights.

This is still a victory for Colbert, though. Now he goes down in history as the man to almost have a space station named after him.

Which is really what matters, making college students learn his name.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:06 pm

That is the coolest :D
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ADXC » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:12 pm

THIS IS EPIC! Actually I was watching the episode that he was saying for his viewers to vote for him. Doesn't Colbert already have a lot of stuff named after him?

But regardless of whether the NASA space station will be called Colbert, it will still go down as one of the greatest achievements of Colbert and will be remembered. "Don't you forget about me!"
ADXC

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:41 am

Yeah...

Not liking it so much.

Hope NASA overrides and calls it Serenity.
Hiyakawa Sayaka (my character from my writing) wrote:God has given me a gift, that I really don't know what to do with. I guess, all I can do is put it in his hands, keep my hands inside the car, and expect to end up destroying parts of Tokyo with my perfectly good guitar.

Revelation 1:10-11: I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, saying, [color="Red"]"Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches to Ephesus and to Smyrna, and to Pergamum and to Theyatira, and at Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea."[/color]
Sakaki Onsei

Postby RobinSena » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:36 am

Sakaki Onsei (post: 1300234) wrote:Yeah...

Not liking it so much.

Why don't you like it? It's not like he did anything wrong.. It would be rather lame to give people an option to write-in, and then to just say screw you to the winner. :P
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Maxim » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:55 am

I'm a big fan of Stephen Colbert. The last episode I was able to watch was the one where he first brought up the issue.

I really don't think NASA will go for it though. D:
Maxim

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:29 am

Sakaki Onsei (post: 1300234) wrote:Yeah...

Not liking it so much.

Yeah, they shouldn't sully the prestige of the international space station by naming it after American pop culture.

...Oh wait-
Fish and Chips

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:00 am

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:09 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1300259) wrote:Yeah, they shouldn't sully the prestige of the international space station by naming it after American pop culture.

...Oh wait-

BAHAHAHAHA. This post has my stamp of approval.

Also, Colbert FTW. I hope they do name it after him; that'd be so hilarious. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tarnish » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:13 pm

If this actually happens I will be SO PROUD TO BE A FRIGGIN' AMERICAN.
Tarnish

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:42 pm

Somehow I doubt that NASA's really going to go for this. But I have to admit it would be pretty funny if they did.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:28 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]I think NASA will go for this if for no other reason than to prove that they're "hip" and "happening"[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:32 pm

Someone asked me why I do not like it. There's a simple reason: When it comes down to NASA, I am an old schooler. Names like Discovery, Columbia, Challenger, Apollo. All of these names bring out and evoke images of the final frontier. When something is named at NASA, it should be carefully thought out and evoke a final frontier image. When I hear the name "Colbert", I think of a bunch of mindless people watching a comedian who goofs off on a talking head. Nothing final frontier about it.

Again, I may be an old fogie when it comes to stuff like that, but when I see something like "Serenity", I do see final frontier status.

Please also note: This is my opinion, it will not change, and any argument in an attempt to change my mind will fail. I'm old school, that way.
Hiyakawa Sayaka (my character from my writing) wrote:God has given me a gift, that I really don't know what to do with. I guess, all I can do is put it in his hands, keep my hands inside the car, and expect to end up destroying parts of Tokyo with my perfectly good guitar.

Revelation 1:10-11: I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, saying, [color="Red"]"Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches to Ephesus and to Smyrna, and to Pergamum and to Theyatira, and at Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea."[/color]
Sakaki Onsei

Postby Tarnish » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:35 pm

When I hear the name "Colbert", I think of a bunch of mindless people watching a comedian who goofs off on a talking head.

I don't think you're winning anybody over here with that statement.

And I thought I was a thoughtless jerk.
Tarnish

Postby minakichan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Again, I may be an old fogie when it comes to stuff like that, but when I see something like "Serenity", I do see final frontier status.

You do realize, as Fish pointed out, that most people voting for Serenity are thinking of the Joss Whedon property. Also, what's "final frontier"-y about Serenity? Other than the fact that it's Sailor Moon's princess name? Serenity is like CALM COMPLACENCY. Like "ho hum, we landed on the moon a couple decades ago, there's nothing else to do, let's just sit back and have some tea."

That, and Columbia is hardly space-y. Columbia is about America. A synonym of America is Colbert.

That, and if NASA decides to override Colbert, MAYBE WE SHOULD CALL IT THE COMMUNIST AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:02 pm

Tarnish (post: 1300306) wrote:I don't think you're winning anybody over here with that statement.

And I thought I was a thoughtless jerk.

I'm not interested in winning over people to my argument. I am putting forth my own opinion. I do not expect anyone to switch over to my position, precisely because it is my own.

You do realize, as Fish pointed out, that most people voting for Serenity are thinking of the Joss Whedon property. Also, what's "final frontier"-y about Serenity? Other than the fact that it's Sailor Moon's princess name? Serenity is like CALM COMPLACENCY. Like "ho hum, we landed on the moon a couple decades ago, there's nothing else to do, let's just sit back and have some tea."

That's fine for you to think that. When I hear the word "Serenity", I think of the calmness of space, the vast openness that is experienced when travelling through the "great blackness". That is where the "final frontier" idea falls in.

Again, my opinion.

Sakaki Onsei

Postby RobinSena » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:47 pm

Sakaki Onsei (post: 1300305) wrote:Someone asked me why I do not like it. There's a simple reason: When it comes down to NASA, I am an old schooler. Names like Discovery, Columbia, Challenger, Apollo. All of these names bring out and evoke images of the final frontier. When something is named at NASA, it should be carefully thought out and evoke a final frontier image. When I hear the name "Colbert", I think of a bunch of mindless people watching a comedian who goofs off on a talking head. Nothing final frontier about it.

Please also note: This is my opinion, it will not change, and any argument in an attempt to change my mind will fail. I'm old school, that way.

Odd, when I think of Columbia, I think drugs, Challenger - Aggression, Apollo - Greek Gods. XD
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:35 pm

minakichan (post: 1300310) wrote:You do realize, as Fish pointed out, that most people voting for Serenity are thinking of the Joss Whedon property. Also, what's "final frontier"-y about Serenity? Other than the fact that it's Sailor Moon's princess name? Serenity is like CALM COMPLACENCY. Like "ho hum, we landed on the moon a couple decades ago, there's nothing else to do, let's just sit back and have some tea."

That, and Columbia is hardly space-y. Columbia is about America. A synonym of America is Colbert.

That, and if NASA decides to override Colbert, MAYBE WE SHOULD CALL IT THE COMMUNIST AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION.

I just like the progression of this post, XD. Also, CASA!

The only thing I'll say is that calling Colbert fans "mindless" is a bit uncalled for. There's a way to state your opinion without attacking the other side like that. That being said, I wouldn't be upset with NASA if they went with a different name even though it would be cool if the actually used Colbert.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Whitefang » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:46 pm

I agree with Sakaki.

NASA is an institution that represents the progress of man and the discovery of just how vast and deep God made our universe. In efforts to study it, therefore, we should maintain this solemnity in part with appropriate naming conventions and an appropriate attitude in regard to the gravity of that which we pursue.
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby ich1990 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:56 pm

When I hear the name Serenity, I think of revolver wielding space cowboys who speak with an accent that sounds like it came from my back yard. I think of explosions and spaceships hauling around herds of cattle.

Colbert is cool, but I vote Serenity.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]Guys...aren't we overreacting a bit? After all, it's just a space module for a station. Who cares what it's called? As long as it's keeping the astronauts safe and sound, and as long as you can say it without having your mouth washed out with soap, they can call it whatever they want.[/color][/SIZE][/font]

When I hear the name "Colbert", I think of a bunch of mindless people watching a comedian who goofs off on a talking head. Nothing final frontier about it.

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]With all due respect, need I remind you that NASA named a test Shuttle "Enterprise" after asking for suggestions from the public? It's a sign of the times we live in. [/color][/SIZE][/font]

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby minakichan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:36 pm

ALSO SPACE IS NOT THE FINAL FRONTIER we still haven't mastered time or interdimensional travel.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:05 pm

minakichan (post: 1300490) wrote:ALSO SPACE IS NOT THE FINAL FRONTIER we still haven't mastered time or interdimensional travel.

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]At least until I get that stupid Flux Capacitor hooked into my Jeep....
[/color][/SIZE][/font]

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:29 pm

I want Serenity to lose simply so that all the Joss Whedon slaves will whine.

Also, I like how they hold a democratic election and when they get a result they don't like they say "Well maybe we'll just ignore it." The Founding Fathers would be proud.
NASA is an institution that represents the progress of man and the discovery of just how vast and deep God made our universe. In efforts to study it, therefore, we should maintain this solemnity in part with appropriate naming conventions and an appropriate attitude in regard to the gravity of that which we pursue.

So then why aren't you mad that they named a space shuttle after Star Trek? Why aren't you mad that we drive cars named Ford, Chevrolet, and Lincoln?

Naming things after themselves or famous people is common, just because you don't like the name doesn't mean you can ignore democracy.

Unless you're a Communist.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:35 am

Nate (post: 1300508) wrote:I want Colbert to lose simply so that all the Colbert slaves will whine.

Here, I fixed it for you!

>_>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby RobinSena » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:48 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1300520) wrote:Here, I fixed it for you!

>_>

No, I'm pretty sure you just messed it up. =P
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:15 am

First Post wrote:NASA's online contest to name a new room at the international space station went awry.

It's just a new room, not an entire space station. I see no issue with them giving it a comical name.

Space exploration is srs bzns, yo.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Next

Return to General