Christian marriage becoming more popular in Japan

Talk about anything in here.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:10 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1298869) wrote:Except that that's entirely the reason they're doing it. A pastor is little more than a novelty item to them. They're going through the motions because they think it's exotic, or modern, or Western. They aren't renting pastors for religious conversation, they're just seen as part of the complete package.

While this may be true, there's nothing wrong with holding onto the hope that these pastors do not pass up the opportunity to share Christ with these people. In fact, if they don't share Christ with them, they're not really doing their job. But that's for another thread.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Maxim » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:50 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1298559) wrote:You could say the same thing about America. Traditional American culture is considered "old" and lots of young people are doing things different.

That does have some truth to it, although I am one of those people who is unsure or skeptical of what American culture really consists of. But I don't want to go into that since it might cause offence or debate.

...Hmm. I'm not really sure where I stand anymore on this issue. If these marriages are simply a fad, then isn't that making a mockery of the Christian religion?

On the other hand, refusing outright to let people marry this way would make the religion seem very exclusive.
Maxim

Postby Stephen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:53 am

No more or less of a mockery as other countries trying "strange and new" traditions from other cultures.
Stephen

Postby Maxim » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Stephen (post: 1300275) wrote:No more or less of a mockery as other countries trying "strange and new" traditions from other cultures.

Good point!

Makes me think of people who like to buy little Bodhisattvas as souvenirs or home decor.
Maxim

Previous

Return to General