Foreign Accent Syndrome

Talk about anything in here.

Foreign Accent Syndrome

Postby KumaruRockz » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:43 pm

GEORDIE Linda Walker woke up in hospital after a stroke — speaking with a West Indies accent.

Linda, 60, made a speedy recovery after suffering the minor seizure at her home.

But she was shocked to discover her traditional Tyneside lilt had been replaced by one which sounds like she is from Kingston, Jamaica.

Doctors diagnosed foreign accent syndrome, where a stroke or knock affects the brain’s voice control centre, producing different stresses on words.

Now despite intensive speech therapy, they think Linda, of Westerhope, Newcastle, may keep her Jamaican accent for ever...

(There's more on the website)
Click here to read the whole story.

Well it turns out this is possible. I honestly think this proves what an amazing creation by God the brain is.
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]To be honest, I don't have much to say.[/font]
KumaruRockz

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Trust me, its possible.
Hiyakawa Sayaka (my character from my writing) wrote:God has given me a gift, that I really don't know what to do with. I guess, all I can do is put it in his hands, keep my hands inside the car, and expect to end up destroying parts of Tokyo with my perfectly good guitar.

Revelation 1:10-11: I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, saying, [color="Red"]"Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches to Ephesus and to Smyrna, and to Pergamum and to Theyatira, and at Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea."[/color]
Sakaki Onsei

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:31 pm

Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Warrior4Christ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:19 am

I've heard of it before... it would amusing at first for everyone else!
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:19 am

Not heard of this before, but its very interesting. o.o
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby F.M Disciple » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:34 pm

I've heard about that before.

An american woman woke up with a brittish accent. After a stroke.
"Its very possible that I could give everything and obtain nothing, But still I have to try."
-Edward Elric.

"If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
-William Wilberforce.
F.M Disciple

Postby RandomBurrito » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:44 pm

F.M Disciple (post: 1298547) wrote:I've heard about that before.

I saw a documentary about that too a few years ago. Maybe she's the same one I saw..... I don't know.
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby Mr. Rogers » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:00 pm

I've seen a show about this before. The lady ended up speaking in a British accent. Luckily, she actually had some British decent and knew where her family came from, so when people asked her where in England she came from, she at least had something to say. xD
Mr. Rogers

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:27 pm

Now if only the same thing could cause you to speak another language... Say, Japanese...

Forget irradiating myself to get super powers, I'm going to temporarily cut off blood supply to my brain to start speaking fluent Japanese!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby KumaruRockz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:44 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1304900) wrote:Now if only the same thing could cause you to speak another language... Say, Japanese...

Forget irradiating myself to get super powers, I'm going to temporarily cut off blood supply to my brain to start speaking fluent Japanese!

Idk if that will work xD but it would be cool if it did!
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]To be honest, I don't have much to say.[/font]
KumaruRockz

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:12 pm

I think this was on 60 Min? Don't know, but the news link was on Yahoo a couple of weeks ago.

Apparently this has happened to several other people. Seems like the people affected are growing in number ...
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby Dante » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:34 pm

My mother and I have the interesting trait that whenever we talk to people with different accents, we have a tendency to start to mimic their accent (AKA, if your from britain, we'll start switching to a British Accent) without even being aware of it... in fact it probobly sounds rude, but its very unintentional, we don't even realize we're doing it until after we've started doing it... at which point the questions becomes continue or stop and start again later when it kicks in again... its really weird.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby TriezGamer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:39 am

It may be an interesting trait, but it's not unique -- I do the same thing.
Embraced by a gentle breeze, my heart breaks as I think of you.
All alone at the top of the hill, I watch as the seasons go by.
--
Wishing for courage softly, I pray.
There's no going back now, to those tender days when you held me in your arms.

MOES "I can has Sane Sig now?"
TriezGamer

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:48 am

I do it too. If I hang around with a lot of people that have strong Oklahoma accents, I'll start to pick it up myself. Also a lot of people tell me I sound like I'm from California. Well, my dad was born and raised there and doesn't have an Oklahoma accent, so that's probably why. XD

I wonder why we pick up on other people's accents like that? Is it some kind of old survival mechanism-- we try to blend in so people won't be suspicious of us, maybe?

It's also interesting that when two people with accented English have a child that is raised in the US, the child has a US accent and not the same one as their parents.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Doubleshadow » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:33 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1304900) wrote:Now if only the same thing could cause you to speak another language... Say, Japanese...

Actually, that did happen. I read a scholarly article on it a while back. A German man with severe head injuries was rescued by a squad that he had to speak to in English. After that, though he knew practically no English and had no exposure to speakers, he became fluent. Immediately, instantaneously. Doctors theorized his brain threw up emergency pathways so he could communicate and save himself.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:06 pm

Doubleshadow (post: 1305185) wrote:Actually, that did happen. I read a scholarly article on it a while back. A German man with severe head injuries was rescued by a squad that he had to speak to in English. After that, though he knew practically no English and had no exposure to speakers, he became fluent. Immediately, instantaneously. Doctors theorized his brain threw up emergency pathways so he could communicate and save himself.

Got any online sources? =) I'd like to reach this article. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby shooraijin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:08 pm

Pascal (post: 1304954) wrote:My mother and I have the interesting trait that whenever we talk to people with different accents, we have a tendency to start to mimic their accent (AKA, if your from britain, we'll start switching to a British Accent) without even being aware of it... in fact it probobly sounds rude, but its very unintentional, we don't even realize we're doing it until after we've started doing it... at which point the questions becomes continue or stop and start again later when it kicks in again... its really weird.

Although I'm a dual Australian-American citizen, I normally have a California accent. However, when I had been in Australia for around a month, I started to pick up some of the rhoticisms and vowel changes to the point where they thought I sounded vaguely Canadian. :eh: <-- "eh"
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby RandomBurrito » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:10 pm

I tend to do the same thing. It's kinda cool to me actually. I can sound French or British :D

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
RandomBurrito

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:16 pm

I don't think altering your voice to sound like you have another accent really counts for this, RandomBurrito. XD It's more like you wake up one day and your accent has totally changed.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby RandomBurrito » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:27 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1305207) wrote:I don't think altering your voice to sound like you have another accent really counts for this, RandomBurrito. XD It's more like you wake up one day and your accent has totally changed.

I know, I was talking about when I hear someone with a different accent I can mimic them like what Pascal was saying. Not the syndrome thing. ^_^

RandomBurrito

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:36 pm

Oooh. Gotcha. Okay. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby minakichan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:55 pm

I've heard about that before.

I hate to say this, but...

SEXY BRITISH ACCENT PLEASE.

My health is seriously deteriorating because of my poor eating habits and lack of sleep. Maybe one day I'll fall into a coma and wake up BRITISH SOUNDING.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Sparx00 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:45 pm

Dude! If something like that ever happens to me, I hope I get a Jamaican accent! =D
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Amzi Live » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:44 am

I want a British accent!!!!
Darn,it said you needed a stroke for that right?
Hit me!
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby That Dude » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:40 am

I heard about something like this happening but the lady woke up with a french accent...And she was from the Bronx or something like that.

Anyway on the other hand I too will unintentionally start mimicking peoples accents after hanging around them for a while.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:15 am

I have the problem of subconsciously picking up people's accents when I'm in an area or around people who have a different accent than mine. I hope I don't do this when I"m in Scotland and Ireland. Where it would be cool to have a Scottish accent, it would not be cool for some Scotsman to hear it and think I'm (being the tourist American) am making fun of them or trying to be like them. I'd make them mad, or get laughed at... and it wouldn't be on purpose. I suppose I'll have to watch that...
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby That Dude » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:21 am

Something like that happened to me when I went to Canada...But nobody got mad or anything. It was pretty amusing though.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Amzi Live » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:24 am

I always thought that Canadians sounded like regular Americans.
Then again I think it depends. Just as there are different accents throughout the US I believe that the Canadian accents varies. Interesting
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:31 am

When I worked at gamestop, my boss was an immigrant from the UK. He'd lived here for 2x as long as he lived in the UK, so his accent is nearly undetectable.

Oddly, whenever I'd work there, I'd pick up his nearly unnoticeable accent. As we talked, his accent would slowly return, and I would slowly pick it up. By closing, we would have customers asking when either one of us had moved to the US. :lol:
Cognitive Gear

Postby That Dude » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:37 am

Amzi Live (post: 1305487) wrote:I always thought that Canadians sounded like regular Americans.

Depends on what part of Canada... One main difference with the midwest at least is the way they pronounce the O's. Take the word sorry for example. Midwesterners would generally pronounce it saw-ree and Canadians generally pronounce it sow-ree.
That Dude

Next

Return to General