D.Gray-Man (Possible Spoilers)

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

D.Gray-Man (Possible Spoilers)

Postby ClosetOtaku » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:04 pm

While at Katsucon, I got to see the first episode (dub) of D.Gray-Man.

Normally, I try to give an anime series about 6 episodes to convince me whether it is worth watching all the way through or not.

I found the first episode of D.Gray-Man to be so banal, pull the curtain so far back on the mechanisms of the series, so conceptually unbelievable (even for the fantasy genre), and so anachronistic that I could barely sit through it.

Yet I hear this is supposedly a runaway smash anime -- or maybe just a very good manga that was mangled. So, my questions:

a) Is the anime like the manga? Better? Worse? Can't compare?

b) Is the anime worth watching?

c) What do you think of the manga?

Thanking you in advance...
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby MasterDias » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:34 pm

What's your opinion of series like..oh say...Bleach? D.Gray-Man, for the most part, is going to follow general trappings of shonen action series...albeit with a mildly original setting.
It certainly has its fans, but I don't think I would call it a runaway hit, although it should do well for Funimation.

As far as anime vs. manga comparisons: The manga is more concise in plot, and moves much quicker, but has somewhat messy action scenes. The anime has a rather large number of anime original episodes in the middle portion that feel basically like stalling, but the action is probably easier to follow. For the most part, I found it a decent adaptation, so if you don't like the anime for the reasons you listed(too anachronistic, etc.), I doubt you would care for the manga either. Although, I will throw a word of caution that you shouldn't look for any sort of historical accuracy in this.

I enjoyed it generally, although I think TMS should have waited until they had more material to work with. But to their credit; the filler was, while occasionally boring, never outright terrible.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Song_of_Storms » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:52 pm

[SIZE="1"]I have yet to see the anime adaption, but D.Gray-Man is my favorite shounen title. What turned you off?

I love the manga series. Of course, I've always enjoyed the premise of such. [/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews