Lelouch Lamprouge: Hero or Villain

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Lelouch Lamprouge: Hero or Villain

Postby rocklobster » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:32 pm

OK, I'm a big fan of Code Geass. So I was wondering what you people think of Lelouch. Is he hero or villain? I say villain because even though he's fighting for a good cause, he certainly doesn't go above putting innocent lives in danger. And he can manipulate people even without using the Geass power. So, let's open the floor for discussion.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Lelouch is a jerk.

Bad guy or not, he is still a jerk.
Fish and Chips

Postby Benn » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:13 pm

I just started watching Code Geass yesterday. I think he's pretty self-centered from what I've seen in the first three eps... but he can be considered a hero.
Benn

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:20 pm

Villain. No bad guy thinks of himself as a bad guy, they always try to justify themselves. Intentions don't make a person good or evil, actions do. And Lelouch's actions are NASTY evil.

Granted, that's purely an ETHICAL evaluation. In DRAMATIC terms, you can still call him a sort of tragic hero. I mean, the show IS about him, after all.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby MasterDias » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:30 pm

I've always considered him more of an anti-hero honestly, or perhaps an anti-villain... if you prefer to take that route.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Lelouch is a jerk.

Bad guy or not, he is still a jerk.

Agreed. Leluch is a jerk and a bad dresser as well.

Who would fear a person that wears a mask that makes him look like a dim lightblub is beyond me.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:12 pm

Blitzkrieg1701 (post: 1295882) wrote:Villain. No bad guy thinks of himself as a bad guy, they always try to justify themselves. Intentions don't make a person good or evil, actions do. And Lelouch's actions are NASTY evil.

Wrong. Kefka is an example.

Edit: Okay maybe not.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby animaniac » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:28 pm

it depends on how you look at it. he trys to do good but is known as a terrorist but i say hero
animaniac

Postby minakichan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:08 pm

I REJECT THIS DICHOTOMY.

FOR ITS DICHOTOMY-NESS.

Lelouch kills people. That's bad. He does it for his sister. Some would say that's good, but I think that's bad. An effect of his killing is that he's working to free an oppressed people. That's probably good.

Conclusion: Lelouch is really hot, but only in his school uniform; as Zero, he's totally undesirable. Also, the girls he surrounds himself with are hot.

Also, he's hotter than Suzaku.

This conclusion is highly relevant to the topic at hand.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:26 pm

minakichan wrote:Also, the girls he surrounds himself with are hot.

I agree with this statement. The women that surrounds him is the only reason why I kept watching the first season.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby GeneD » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:39 am

minakichan (post: 1296177) wrote:Conclusion: Lelouch is really hot.
Because that's all that counts anyway. XD
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:51 am

I think there should be a third option:

Hero
Villain
Malnurished.

Seriously, dude is pencil-thin. Would it HURT to have some meat on your bones?
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:17 am

Question: Hero or Villain? Answer: Bishie.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby minakichan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:03 pm

Would it HURT to have some meat on your bones?

In a word?

Yes.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:10 pm

[quote="minakichan (post: 1296177)"]I REJECT THIS DICHOTOMY.

FOR ITS DICHOTOMY-NESS.

Lelouch kills people. That's bad. He does it for his sister. Some would say that's good, but I think that's bad. An effect of his killing is that he's working to free an oppressed people. That's probably good.

Conclusion: Lelouch is really hot, but only in his school uniform]

Having never watched this series, I feel that I can say with full confidence that this is the best post in this thread. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:40 pm

Blitzkrieg1701 (post: 1297138) wrote:Question: Hero or Villain? Answer: Bishie.

The textbook definition of Bishie. I forgot who I mentioned it to, but the animation style is both beautiful and hillarious:

Beautiful because of the colors and the sharp lines.

Hillarious because of the character designs--especially the guys. Lelouch looks like a scarecrow with a big lightbulb for a head.
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Ingemar » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:58 pm

[quote="minakichan (post: 1296177)"]

Conclusion: Lelouch is really hot, but only in his school uniform]

This reminds me of the 80's action movie, Commando.

[quote="Ingemar mangles minakichan's monologue"]Arnold Schwarzeneggar kills people. That's bad. He does it for his daughter. Some would say that's good, but I think that's bad. An effect of his killing is that he's working to prevent a coup by a stereotypical Latin American dictator. That's probably good.

Conclusion: Arnie is really hot, but only whilst almost naked]

My two cents--if you believe all killing is bad, it's hard to consider Lelouch or Col. John Matrix as heroes.

[SIZE="1"]btw I haven't watched code geass[/SIZE]
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby GeneD » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:41 am

I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby minakichan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:15 am

This thread is now dedicated to spamming pictures of Lelouch's fabulousness.

Ohhhh yeah.
(Interesting how everyone else looks radically different from the original except Lulu-chan.)
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby MasterDias » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:56 pm

I'm...not sure what I find more disturbing. Female versions of Lelouch and Suzaku, or bishounen versions of the female cast. Probably the latter.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:10 pm

About 90% of the time, a Bishie=Villain.

Girls just love those bad boys of anime.

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:17 pm

...Can I just say that the guy in the bottom-left of that picture has utterly frightening proportions? Because he does. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby minakichan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:22 pm

About 90% of the time, a Bishie=Villain.

Girls just love those bad boys of anime.

Read more shoujo manga; you are WRONG, good sir XD

Because there's usually a good light-haired bishounen and a bad dark-haired bishounen (who might be the former's twin and who might just be emo due to emotional trauma rather than true villainous-ness).

...Can I just say that the guy in the bottom-left of that picture has utterly frightening proportions? Because he does. XD

FYI, EVERYONE in Code Geass has utterly frightening proportions. Because this is CLAMP and their fangirls are all over 12-head-tall guys with hands bigger than their faces.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby foolishbunny » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:30 am

lelouch is cool X3 i'm sorry he's evil sometimes but i still intend to cosplay him
foolishbunny

Postby Ingemar » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:54 am

foolishbunny (post: 1298838) wrote:lelouch is cool X3 i'm sorry he's evil sometimes but i still intend to cosplay him

Nothing wrong with that. There are a lot of cool villains worth cosplaying.

On a tangential note, the only cosplays I don't "approve" of are ones in which the cosplayer goes out of his way to look disgusting. And I use the non-neutral "he" here because it's usually a man that does it.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby AJV » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:23 am

Lelouch's ways of achieving his goals for world peace are Villainous indeed,but in the end (I've been spoiled) he becomes a real Hero...IMO.
I admit, Lulu's action's were pretty brutal,especially what he did to Euphy. I nearly stopped watching Code Geass because of it ,but I had to find out what was going to happen next,with all of it's cliffhangers,twists and turns.

Unlike Light (Kira from Death Note) I don't think Lelouch was really evil...
I thought Light was evil from the start because he said he wanted to be God and he started to kill those who were on the side of justice just to hide his tracks. Though it could be said that Lelouch did the same thing with his Geass. Hmm...

"The ends justify the means."- I believe that quote suits them.

All and all, Code Geass is definitely one of my favorite Anime series (Death Note is one of my favs too).:grin:

Hey minakichan, where did you find that picture?Link Please.^^;
[url=ajvsblog.blogspot.com]Image[/url]ImageImage
AJV

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews