So the Japanese are building a Gundam...

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:00 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1296224) wrote:Actually it was an anime first, but I hear the manga version is pretty good too.

Edit: Uhhh, unless you were talking about 20th Century Boys, in which case I retract my statement. XD

The latter.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Back on topic...

Not sure what to think about this really. It's a giant robot statue, which is awesome in and of itself, and for a long standing staple of Japanese culture no less. This is Gundam, it's practically the Japanese equivalent of Star Wars. Leaving it up for only a couple months though, doesn't seem terribly useful; especially if you prefer the possibility of them combining the funds for the statue with the budget for the current Gundam series planned (arguably a much more fitting tribute). However, knowing how the Japanese Anime market works, I doubt they'd get sufficient return on their expenses, since the main financial draw for most Anime is the merchandise, not DVDs.

Though all things considered, the Japanese do love their limited printings and brief windows, so perhaps the short two month time span is just exclusive and prestigious enough to draw enough traffic to Odaiba to justify the cost.
Fish and Chips

Postby ich1990 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:13 pm

KagayakiWashi (post: 1296158) wrote:Maybe we can have The Statue of Liberty fight against it.

I would pay money to see that.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:38 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1296360) wrote:Though all things considered, the Japanese do love their limited printings and brief windows, so perhaps the short two month time span is just exclusive and prestigious enough to draw enough traffic to Odaiba to justify the cost.

Most likely.

And honestly, building a full-scale statue is probably cheaper than making a new TV series, and you're absolutely right about anime in and of itself not being profitable in the first place. Merchandising, merchandising, merchandising.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby minakichan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1296060) wrote:Image

Thankfully, the Gundam is only 18 meters tall.

IT WILL WORK.

Also: totally got a nosebleed when I heard about this. Anyone else?
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Sae-chan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:24 pm

XD That is awesome. Too bad I'm not going to be going to Japan anytime soon. >.>
Sae-chan

Postby Paul » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:38 pm

Well, I read in the Magazine "Anime Insider" that the Japanese are crazy! (They said it, not me.) They said that in the reflection they Japanese do really weird things. In reality, I like to believe the Japanese are actually trying be influenced by Westerners, like an article I read suggested.

Can building the Gundam increase revenue? You betcha! They may be crazy, but they are smart people. I would say the statue stays up longer than two months, and I would predict a flood of Americans and other foreigners with $$$$ will go to see this thing because people are people and they like to participate. It may be the very shot in the arm for Japan during a world recession too.

As for Gundam Vs. Statue of Liberty.... no disrespect to either country but bring it on! I would love to see it.
"You heart is free. Have the courage to follow it." -Malcom Wallace. (Braveheart)
Paul

Postby minakichan » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:35 am

Again.

The RX-78 is 18 meters tall.

Lady Liberty is nearly double that height at 34 meters from heel to top of head.

A fight between the two would be like a six year old kid fighting a grown adult.

Granted, the six year old kid has guns and swords and stuff, but still...
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Kaori » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:44 am

That's amazing; I love the Japanese. It would be nice to take a trip up to Tokyo to see this, but it seems unlikely that I will be able to.

On the Statue of Liberty: actually, there's already a small one conveniently located in Odaiba, modeled after the French Statue of Liberty. But since it's rather small, having that one fight the Gundam would be like a two-year-old fighting an adult, the adult being the Gundam.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:43 pm

KagayakiWashi (post: 1296158) wrote:Maybe we can have The Statue of Liberty fight against it.

Or even better: LIBERTY PRIME.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:53 pm

Ok, howabout the Lincoln Memorial?
I mean....the statue in the Memorial. The Memorial is a UFO.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:04 am

Heh. The only thing I ever liked about the old 'We built this city' music video (Jefferson Starship) is when the memorial-sized Lincoln stands up out of his chair and sings 'Rock and Roll!' (with a fist pump, if I remember correctly.)
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby rocklobster » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:24 am

Any ansgst ridden teen boy pilots around to control that thing? Cause we know how good they are at Gundams!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby KagayakiWashi » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:17 am

rocklobster (post: 1297318) wrote:Any ansgst ridden teen boy pilots around to control that thing? Cause we know how good they are at Gundams!

I've played enough Tech Romancer and Virtual On to know the basics of piloting a mech, and while I'm not a teenager, I've got a "sorta good guy-sorta bad guy" mask. I'm qualified. My insurance is low too.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:04 pm

rocklobster (post: 1297318) wrote:Any ansgst ridden teen boy pilots around to control that thing? Cause we know how good they are at Gundams!

Bah! You and your ansgst ridden teenage boys! What we really need here is a "reluctant hero" pilot--someone who doesn't really wanna do it, but will do it anyway "if he gotta"...
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:18 pm

Nonononononono, the latest thing is troubled moe-female pilots who somehow demonstrate an unbelievable aptitude for combat.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:04 pm

How do you pilot a statue.
Fish and Chips

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:37 pm

Hey McFly, you can't pilot a statue...unless you've got POWER!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:50 pm

Nate (post: 1298107) wrote:Hey McFly, you can't pilot a statue...unless you've got POWER!

XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:43 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1297898) wrote:How do you pilot a statue.

Hey, they did it in Ghostbusters II with an NES controler, the song "Higher and Higher" (The Howard Huntsberry version, not the original Jackie Wilson version), and buckets upon buckets of positively charged Mood Slime!
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Previous

Return to General