"No Religion" a quickly growing religious identification in the US

Talk about anything in here.

"No Religion" a quickly growing religious identification in the US

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:17 pm

Link to article

Link to the study results.

I thought that this was an interesting thing to read, even if it isn't unexpected. I did, however, find it interesting that the following was said:

"It looks like the two-party system of American Protestantism--mainline versus evangelical--is collapsing," said Mark Silk, director of the Public Values Program. "A generic form of evangelicalism is emerging as the normative form of non-Catholic Christianity in the United State s."

More unity in the church sounds like a good thing to me.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Momo-P » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:31 am

Even though the Bible warned us about the future, it's still sad when you hear stuff like this happening. I know some sites I go to for pokemon are just pathetic. Since you have a large mix of older and younger members, what usually happens is that the younger members cling to the "popular" and "cool" ones...who, surprise, surprise, are all not only atheists, but are apart of those people who think being jerks is funny and awesome. Needless to say, the younger kids totally strive to act like them, praise them, and very easily listen to what they say. Looking at other sites with younger members (Naruto fansites come to mind), same crap happens...

More and more kids use the internet now, how much you wanna bet it's just going to keep spreading like wildfire? I even remember actually accepting yaoi and yuri when I was younger because people online kept saying it was "cool" and "ok" and would treat you like some evil person if you didn't (sheesh, it almost sounds as bad as a drug commercial, doesn't it? XD). Needless to say, I obviously wasn't very into it (either I supported a ship ONLY because everyone else did it or I just paired couples because I liked the boys or girls involved or just one of the characters), but still...to do something so people like you? Like I said above, it's terrible how cheesy it sounds, but how many of these kids really WON'T get out of this? That's the scary part.
Momo-P

Postby Paul » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:18 am

It is sad that religion is in a decline. It shows Satan knows the time is short and the bible warned us so.

One of the things I have always seen is Christianity is a dirty business. It is the most divided religion, has more siftings of people, and can show the deepest pains of the Christian life to the public. As a bus driver, I have kids on the bus who are Christians. They don't like me, and let me know it. Their parents don't like me and if I even stop the bus to deal with another student on the bus, my boss is sure to hear about the terrible bus driver her kids have. It's hard to image we serve the same God. Several times she has been handed the chance to reconcile. She won't do it. I've even tried to get her to talk.

Nope.

And we wonder why Christianity is going to pieces. See, Satan has the game plan. The church, one person at a time. All he has to do is get us to not follow the bible, and fight with each other, and the non christian world will see it. Who would want to join a religion like that? It's sad.

As Christians, we all come from different backgrounds and different approaches to the word of God. All of us as Christians have to stop and say "Everybody see's it a little different, it's ok." (A youth camp pastor taught me that.) That's what happened to Peter and Paul. They came together and worked a common cause, and forgot about their differences. Why can't the Christain Church World do the same. Thank God for sites like Christian Anime Alliance. Because the people you meet here have done exactly that. We have found the common thread, or language, we all understand. Anime. And we all strive together to be like Christ.

Hey Toonman! How are you. I agree with what you said about this being the final generation. We are closer than ever before. I've ran into lot's of people who have declared their belief they will witness the rapture. Now some have gone on to be with the Lord and some have not. But it is evident around us that scriptures of prophecy are being forfilled at a rapid pace.
"You heart is free. Have the courage to follow it." -Malcom Wallace. (Braveheart)
Paul

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:34 am

Hey guys, this thread is fine right now for the most part, but [SIZE="4"]please remember before anyone gets into this that we don't allow theological debates here on CAA.[/SIZE] I know that Revelation is a book full of controversy among Christians, so I just wanted to head any debating that may occur off at the pass so we don't have to lock this thread. Thanks for cooperating.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:36 am

I'd just like to point out that the early church had a lot of divisions too. I'm not saying that it isn't a bad thing, I'm just saying that there's always been divisions about things. Some of them have been resolved for the most part (like with Peter and Paul) and others haven't.

Cog, it is pretty interesting that there is now more unity in the church. This will hopefully help to create a better image of Christians and make the gospel message stronger. I like the analogy that C.S. Lewis used that compared the Church to parts of the body. Each part has a different function, but they are all needed to make the whole system run. With this understanding, we can learn to appreciate all the different ways that God is using His people.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:08 am

Personally, I think it's a little silly to assume that we know when Christ will return. The Bible says that no one knows the day or the hour except God. So why try to predict it when we can't possibly get it right?

Honestly, people with no religion are probably a lot more...how should I say this? There's probably a lot more hope for these people than there are with Atheists or people of other various faiths, because they have not devoted their faith to other ideas. That sounds ridiculous, I know, but this seems like a great ministry opportunity. I just hope we don't miss it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mave » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:12 am

I have a theory: This is nothing new.

One time ago, I suspect that there were many nominal christians (i.e. Christians by name but not by practice) due to various social factors. Today, these individuals who would have been 'christians' back then, openly regard themselves now as 'no religion' because it's becoming more acceptable in society to declare that.

If that's the case, maybe Christians around the world are getting lesser in numbers statistically but that leaves out the genuine & sincere Christians (.....depending on how you define genuine, but I hope you know what I mean). I just don't think that's a bad thing.

If non-denominational Christians have risen in numbers, that could be a good thing too. More unity, yay.

Basically, I don't put too much cents into what ppl claim themselves to be but rather how they act it out. Also, there are other factors that influence those statistics such as immigration and population demographics.

I'd say don't worry about this. Focus on how you're living *your* life as an Christ-like example to others and share the Good News. :)
Mave

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:25 am

It is sad that religion is in a decline.

It's not religion that's declining. Just the one true religion...

Too me, no one is without religion. We all believe in something, either the truth or a variety of lies.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby F.M Disciple » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:35 am

I Couldn't agree with you more mave.

though its sad to see people become harden to the gosple.

I thought the for the longest time that the statistics, saying that christianity being the largest religion in america. Something to be examined, alot of people claimed to be religious but that doesn't make it so.

Baiscly I'm vieing these numbers as non believers finaly finding the courage to say that they really don't believe verses people abandoning their faith.
"Its very possible that I could give everything and obtain nothing, But still I have to try."
-Edward Elric.

"If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
-William Wilberforce.
F.M Disciple

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:35 am

Mave wrote:One time ago, I suspect that there were many nominal christians (i.e. Christians by name but not by practice) due to various social factors. Today, these individuals who would have been 'christians' back then, openly regard themselves now as 'no religion' because it's becoming more acceptable in society to declare that.

That's a good point. If Christianity is becoming less of a "name" thing, then the image of Christians might improve because only the genuine ones would be listing themselves as "Christian." So maybe less hypocrisy will be associated with us.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:41 am

I agree with Mave on this. Like many other statistically measured things, shifts are occuring in the data, not necessarily due to true changes, but due to either changes in mindset or societal stances towards various points of view, or due to more accurate methods of polling. People feeling like they won't be assaulted for stating a point of view are more likely to be honest about said point of view.

Comfort can breed honesty in other words, and in my opinion the results of this article may be due to advances in research and polling techniques as much as a real shift in position. The advent of mobile technology and a globally (near) instant communications network result in the ability to obtain much higher sample groups and the capability to construct polling systems that feel anonymous and 'safe', resulting in more accurate or less skewed statistical readings than previously avaliable.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Never Walk In Darkness (Jn 8:12)

Postby Reon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:02 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1295701) wrote:Personally, I think it's a little silly to assume that we know when Christ will return. The Bible says that no one knows the day or the hour except God. So why try to predict it when we can't possibly get it right?

Honestly, people with no religion are probably a lot more...how should I say this? There's probably a lot more hope for these people than there are with Atheists or people of other various faiths, because they have not devoted their faith to other ideas. That sounds ridiculous, I know, but this seems like a great ministry opportunity. I just hope we don't miss it.

I had been itching to type a verse out this entire time, but before I did wanted to make sure I read everyones comments. It relates to what you said =) and the very first part of what you said I wasn't going to say but I'm glad you did. I'm not looking as it as the end times, I really want to have a mentality that I always need to be depending on God 24/7 and being that light before men.

Mave (post: 1295702) wrote:I have a theory: This is nothing new. [SIZE="4"]...[/SIZE]
Focus on how you're living *your* life as an Christ-like example to others and share the Good News. :)

Nicely put. God and I, RELATIONSHIP! Am I putting time aside for just God and I?

Just remember! With God all things are possible! (Matt 19:26)
"Don't be paralyzed with fear!" - Website Quotation

From reading your guys comments I don't remember anyone saying they were fearful directly for themselves, but heres a great little verse to have in your pocket when your scared.
[font="Book Antiqua"]John 8:12 [b] "[color="DeepSkyBlue"]I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life[/color]"
[/font]
If it is the end times (and even if it isn't):
[font="Book Antiqua"]Matthew 5:16 "[color="DeepSkyBlue"]In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.[/color]"[/font]
[color="DimGray"]
[SIZE="1"][font="Arial Narrow"]....[/font][/SIZE]
[/color]
Reon

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:04 am

mechana2015 (post: 1295707) wrote: Comfort can breed honesty in other words, and in my opinion the results of this article may be due to advances in research and polling techniques as much as a real shift in position. The advent of mobile technology and a globally (near) instant communications network result in the ability to obtain much higher sample groups and the capability to construct polling systems that feel anonymous and 'safe', resulting in more accurate or less skewed statistical readings than previously avaliable.

Right. It's kinda like how people say the world has gotten worse, when that's really not true-- it's just we hear about stuff faster now.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:03 am

toonman (post: 1295689) wrote:For the record, I DO believe this is the FINAL GENERATION before Jesus returns.

You do realize that like... EVERY generation thought the same way that you do?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:49 am

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1295703) wrote:It's not religion that's declining. Just the one true religion...

Too me, no one is without religion. We all believe in something, either the truth or a variety of lies.

Agreed. its the true religion that is 'dying'. The Church needs to be more united, but a lot of churches have corruption in them and don't even realize it. :/
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:20 pm

toonman wrote:You can think that if you want.

Don't have to think that, it's true. You do realize there is a group of Christians called "preterists" that believe all of Revelation's prophecy was fulfilled in the first century AD, culminating in the second return of Christ at the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem, right? And they can point to specific events and say "That fulfills this verse."

What does that prove? It proves Revelation is so vague that you can't tell if the prophecies are truly being fulfilled or not in the present day. If the prophecies were actually specific, it would be impossible for preterists to exist.

But that doesn't matter. You're saying this is the final generation before Christ's return. Where have I heard that? Oh yeah. 1985 is the end of the world. I remember hearing that in kindergarten. 2000 is the end of the world. I remember that one too.

People all throughout history have constantly been predicting the last days. I would like to share a verse.

"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

Wow, so not even Jesus knows when the last days are. So to say "This is the final generation before Jesus returns" is saying "I know more than Jesus does."

Might wanna check that arrogance.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:41 pm

Clearly I didn't type my words large or bold enough when I told you not to bring this into debate territory. Instead of letting this continue, here is a picture of John Locke with an orange in his mouth.

Thread Locked.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Return to General