Japan Trip '09 XD

Talk about anything in here.

Japan Trip '09 XD

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Hey, I am going to Japan again this summer XD I was there for a week and half during August to take part in the Peace Ceremony in Hiroshima. That was amazing but I wished I was able to stay longer.

So I decided to (spend more money) and go with my university to Japan on another summer trip haha. However, this is the longer trip which goes from June 9th to July 10th.

We will be studying Japanese language and culture in Nagoya. However, we will also take field trips to Shirokawa-go (a restored village in the mountains), Nara, Ise, Kyoto, Himeji, and Hiroshima. We will stay with host families for a weekend in Ngaoya and then when we are in Hiroshima.

You think I would be satisfied after being a month in Japan? Knowing me, not hardly! Haha.

That is why I am staying a extra month and 4 days by myself traveling across Japan. I will then be on my own from July 10th to August 14th. I will be with friends at certain points of the trip but I will spend the majority of the time by myself.

Here is my schedule that I have came up with (still being worked on though):

Toyohashi (staying with a friend) July 10th-12th
Gifu (staying with a friend) July 12th-15 We may go to Sekigahara.
Kyoto July 15th- 20th (attending the Gion festival on the 16th)
Osaka 20th-24th (general sightseeing)
Tokyo 25th-30th (will be visiting with a friend from Tokyo)
Yokohama 30th-4th (I will be based in Yokohama but I will take day trips back to Tokyo. Also areas such as Saitama and Kamakura.)
Hiroshima 4th-8th (Peace ceremony and to see my friends)
Nagasaki 8th-11th (Peace Ceremony)
Fukuoka 11th-13th (visiting the beach!)
Nagoya (departure from the airport in Nagoya) 14th

So, I have a question. Does anyone have any suggestions or prior experience traveling across Japan?
Hitokiri

Postby Song_of_Storms » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:04 pm

[SIZE="1"]No, just unquenchable jealousy. XD
Take lots of pictures!! (so you can share them with the less-then-fortunate CAA members >8D )

Do you speak Japanese, Hitokiri? If not, would you say it is difficult to get around/do stuff otherwise?

--I'm really curious! n.n/[/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby Benn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:12 pm

If you were staying longer in August I'd say go to Comiket in Tokyo! I don't know if there's any smaller ones in late July but it'd definitely be worth going.

Dunno how the weather is in early August but when I went it was uber hot. Bring undershirts and buy hand towels when you get there. :)

Hope you have tons of fun!!!
Benn

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:26 pm

I was in Hiroshima early August and it was....very, very hot. I was very surprised.
Hitokiri

Postby agasfas » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:58 pm

Awesome- looks like you have a fairly full itinerary planned.

I too will be going back to Japan this summer for another two weeks. May 18 - Jun 1.
When you go to Osaka, try to check out the Shinsaibashi and Dotonbori area around evening time. It will be well worth the trip.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Heronwing » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Lucky! I haven't been to Japan since I was a baby.
As for advice... well, the bookstores there are LOADED with manga! If you're looking for obscure manga/anime, Japan's the place to go.
Heronwing

Postby ADXC » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Ah lucky! Man, Id love to go to Japan(It's my number one choice of places to travel to.). However I think I will first take some Japanese classes first(Ugh yeah, that will take longer than I implied. Maybe in 10 years or so.). So have fun!
ADXC

Postby Kaori » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:15 am

Looks like an amazing trip! I've been living in Japan for a while but haven't done very extensive travel--most notably from Tokyo to Kyoto and back and to Fuji-san and back--so I envy your ability to do so much travel and sightseeing.

I lived in Tokyo for a year and saw quite a bit there, and I know a little about Kyoto from a three-day trip. In Tokyo, aside from the usual well-known places, you might want to consider hitting Nakano Broadway (for everything old-school and geeky, like real cels from cel-animated films) and Miraikan (if you have any interest in science). I could make a much longer list of suggestions and favorite places to visit--gardens, temples, museums, shopping, etc.--and I could probably help if you have questions about Tokyo, but since you already have a friend there, いらないでしょう。 But if you do want the long list, or want to talk about Tokyo (or Kyoto), just let me know.

Oh, and by the way, June is typically rainy, but it's also the best month for iris.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby kaji » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:45 pm

Wow, thats sounds like a great opportunity Hitokiri. My wife and I were hoping to get to Japan again this summer to help with HI-BA, but the money wont be possible.

However, in a couple years we hope to be living there, so I can wait a bit longer. ^_^

I hope your trip goes well.
Depend on it. God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply. He is too wise a God to frustrate His purposes for lack of funds, and He can just as easily supply them ahead of time as afterwards, and He much prefers doing so.
- J. Hudson Taylor
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Postby ClosetOtaku » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:41 pm

Hitokiri (post: 1293678) wrote:So, I have a question. Does anyone have any suggestions or prior experience traveling across Japan?

Been there four times, going back a fifth time this summer.

You probably know all about the Rail Pass...

Osaka: if you haven't already, go to see Bunraku at the National Bunraku Theater there. A dying art form...

Have you been to the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka? Easy trip from Tokyo...

Himeji Castle is definitely worth the trip. Be prepared to walk...

Are you going to try to scale Mt Fuji? July-August are the prime months...

Just some quick thoughts. Sounds like a wonderful trip!
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:51 pm

agasfas (post: 1293798) wrote:Awesome- looks like you have a fairly full itinerary planned.

I too will be going back to Japan this summer for another two weeks. May 18 - Jun 1.
When you go to Osaka, try to check out the Shinsaibashi and Dotonbori area around evening time. It will be well worth the trip.

Well, I am staying in a hostel in Umeda. I know a little bit of Osaka but I haven't researched it thoroughly yet.

Kaori (post: 1294090) wrote:Looks like an amazing trip! I've been living in Japan for a while but haven't done very extensive travel--most notably from Tokyo to Kyoto and back and to Fuji-san and back--so I envy your ability to do so much travel and sightseeing.

I will be back (Maybe with JET or Grad programs) but I will graduate in December so this will be my last horrah for a while. It is draining every single area that I have money in haha.

I lived in Tokyo for a year and saw quite a bit there, and I know a little about Kyoto from a three-day trip. In Tokyo, aside from the usual well-known places, you might want to consider hitting Nakano Broadway (for everything old-school and geeky, like real cels from cel-animated films) and Miraikan (if you have any interest in science). I could make a much longer list of suggestions and favorite places to visit--gardens, temples, museums, shopping, etc.--and I could probably help if you have questions about Tokyo, but since you already have a friend there, い]

Yeah, I was originally going to be by myself but my adviser introduced me to this guy from Tokyo. We hung out the entire day and became fast friends. I know he goes to Shinjuku and Shibuya and he's gonna introduce me to his friends (karaoke, go out drinking maybe, etc).

ClosetOtaku (post: 1294325) wrote:Been there four times, going back a fifth time this summer.

You probably know all about the Rail Pass...

Osaka: if you haven't already, go to see Bunraku at the National Bunraku Theater there. A dying art form...

Have you been to the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka? Easy trip from Tokyo...

Himeji Castle is definitely worth the trip. Be prepared to walk...

Are you going to try to scale Mt Fuji? July-August are the prime months...

Just some quick thoughts. Sounds like a wonderful trip!

Yeah, I know about the Rail Passes. I figure from Tokyo to Hiroshima and later, Fukuoka to Nagoya I will take the Shinkansen. However, the rest will be cheaper trains or overnight buses.

I plan on going to a Bunraku theater. In fact, I think we do as part of the university summer trip which is the first part of my trip. I plan on scaling Mt. Fuji but who knows time wise.

I know our group is stopping by Himeji after we leave from Hiroshima.
Hitokiri

Return to General