What are you going give up for Lent?

Talk about anything in here.

What are you going give up for Lent?

Postby F.M Disciple » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:49 pm

Ash Wednesday this year will fall on Feburary 25th, since Ash wednesday kicks Lent, what will you give up for forty days? if you practice lent

for me after much consideration. I will give up coffee.
I'm a huge coffee nut, it will be a challange but it will be a meaningful enough of a sacrafice. from me anyway.

So just post what you want to give up for lent.
"Its very possible that I could give everything and obtain nothing, But still I have to try."
-Edward Elric.

"If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
-William Wilberforce.
F.M Disciple

Postby Song_of_Storms » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:19 pm

[SIZE="1"]I'll be giving up all forms of sweets. (candy, soda... blah blah)

I may also give up video games.[/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:36 pm

I'm still trying to decide what to give up. I may not reach a decisions until the very last minute. Maybe I'll give up buying lunch (and bring it instead).
Mithrandir

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:37 pm

I'm going to give up work.

Nah just kidding. I don't celebrate Lent so nothing, really. Also I have extremely, extremely weak willpower so I certainly wouldn't make it forty days without something I like. So I admire all of you who are giving up something, and wish you the best! :3

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Song_of_Storms » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:46 am

[SIZE="1"]You should try it. n.n

It's a great way to shake off something that you continual do or think you need. A friend of mine wanted to stop cursing, so he gave it up for lent. Now he doesn't swear anymore.

Sweets are my weakness... so these forty days should prove difficult. @~@[/SIZE]
Song_of_Storms

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:39 am

Nate (post: 1288638) wrote:I'm going to give up work.

Nah just kidding. I don't celebrate Lent so nothing, really. Also I have extremely, extremely weak willpower so I certainly wouldn't make it forty days without something I like. So I admire all of you who are giving up something, and wish you the best! :3

Give up the internet and video games. =p

IF YOU CAN DO THIS... then holy crap... that would be so WEIRD. XD I'd pay good money to see this. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:53 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1288709) wrote:Give up the internet and video games. =p

IF YOU CAN DO THIS... then holy crap... that would be so WEIRD. XD I'd pay good money to see this. XD

Seconded.

I don't come from a background that observes Lent, but I may give it a try. I think if I do I'll give up recreational Internet use (not for classes or music instruction) and junk food (fruits and veggies for Rai, with a little bread and meat so I don't go into withdrawal ;D). Forty days of that should help be increase my guitar skill and decrease my gut, both of which I desperately need. XD

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby The Liar XIII » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:57 am

I don't celebrate it, but just for the lulz, I'll try to keep clean shaven for 40 days.. No facial hair on me. ;)

Starting to get that thick goatee again.
Some Assembly Required

The Liar XIII

Postby Nate » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:32 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Give up the internet and video games. =p

RYAN YOU FOOL I WOULD DIE.

Actually I probably WOULD, given that I have absolutely no offline friends, so the only social interaction I have is with people online. I wouldn't be able to go out and meet people because there's nobody my age here, unless I hung around the high school during the day...but that would be creepy and I'd probably go to jail.

Nate

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:40 pm

What if you... simply decreased the amount of time spent on such things? Like cut in half. Bwahaha.

Besides, you can still read books and text people. =p
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Robin Firedrake » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:57 pm

RYAN YOU FOOL I WOULD DIE.

Actually I probably WOULD, given that I have absolutely no offline friends, so the only social interaction I have is with people online. I wouldn't be able to go out and meet people because there's nobody my age here, unless I hung around the high school during the day...but that would be creepy and I'd probably go to jail.

This. Cept for the part about hanging around the high school...
Robin Firedrake

Postby Sapphire225 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:06 pm

I'm going to give up all caffeine whatsoever (which will be kinda tough b/c I drink cappuccino at least 2x a day) and chips (which I eat up 2x to 3x times a day at school or when we have them at home from time to time) Hope going cold turkey won't make me show my withdrawal effects from being a druggie. (AKA. Need...soda...need...cappucino...gah!)
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby rocklobster » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:27 pm

wrestling on TV
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Song_of_Storms » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:49 pm

rocklobster (post: 1288776) wrote:wrestling on TV

[SIZE="1"]
What in the world was I thinking? Why didn't I plan to give THIS up? Silly Erin! X3
...Since ya just can't keep me away from it. [/sarcasm][/SIZE]
Song_of_Storms

Postby Nate » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:12 pm

I didn't know Rocklobster wrestled on TV.

Nate

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:56 pm

Nate (post: 1288812) wrote:I didn't know Rocklobster wrestled on TV.

This made me laugh out loud.

Thank you, Nate. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:02 pm

If we did Lent, probably StumbleUpon.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby termyt » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:30 am

The churches I've attended have never officially recognized the Lenten season - perhaps an Ash Wednesday service here or there, but no pressure to give something up.

I've observed a sacrifice a couple of times. I wasn't planning on giving anything up this year, but there are still two days for the Spirit to move me.

Say you can't give something up is a pretty good indication that you should, in my book. Even trying and failing is an excellent learning experience.

On another note: Sundays are not included in the 40 days of Lent.
Ash Wednesday is Feb 25 - so the last 4 days of February are in.
Easter is April 12 - so the first 11 days of April end Lent.
March has 31 days.

4+11+31 = 46 Those six days are the Sundays during Lent. This is because we honor the resurrection of our Lord every Sunday making every Sunday a celebration in honor of Him. Therefore, we do not fast on those days.

So, if you give up soda, you may have some on Sunday – giving thanks to the Lord for providing you with something you enjoy so much. See, giving up something for Lent is about acknowledging that all you need is in God, but it His pleasure to provide you with things you enjoy.

Of course, if you are giving up something that is not healthy or out-right bad, then give that up on the Sundays, too, and never return to it. :sweat:
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby ST. Attidude » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:15 am

If anything, I would give up YouTube.

I guess for animes, I'll assault my library then...
ST. Attidude

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:16 am

F.M Disciple (post: 1288575) wrote:Ash Wednesday this year will fall on Feburary 25th, since Ash wednesday kicks Lent, what will you give up for forty days? if you practice lent

for me after much consideration. I will give up coffee.
I'm a huge coffee nut, it will be a challange but it will be a meaningful enough of a sacrafice. from me anyway.

So just post what you want to give up for lent.

I'm thinking about it quite seriously. Under consideration:

TV, innerwebz, ice cream, chocolate.

Also thinking of fasting each Friday, not just abstaining.

It has to be something I know I will not automatically fail at, but something that is difficult nonetheless.

I appreciate ideas and suggestions.
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby ST. Attidude » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 am

Sapphire225 (post: 1288742) wrote:I'm going to give up all caffeine whatsoever (which will be kinda tough b/c I drink cappuccino at least 2x a day) and chips (which I eat up 2x to 3x times a day at school or when we have them at home from time to time) Hope going cold turkey won't make me show my withdrawal effects from being a druggie. (AKA. Need...soda...need...cappucino...gah!)

Oh yeah, that would be tough. Because you could be drinking something with caffeine (not labeled) and you would'nt know it...

I wish you the best on that. :)
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby ST. Attidude » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:20 am

Sailor Kenshin (post: 1289022) wrote:

It has to be something I know I will not automatically fail at, but something that is difficult nonetheless.

I appreciate ideas and suggestions.

Ummm...YouTube?...X)
ST. Attidude

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:24 am

ST. Attidude (post: 1289023) wrote:Oh yeah, that would be tough. Because you could be drinking something with caffeine (not labeled) and you would'nt know it...

I wish you the best on that. :)

Hmm...you pointed out a something very important. I'm just going to have to tone it done to juices and water. I hope Swich (a carbonated drink which I oh-so-love doesn't have caffeine in it. Or it'll be a loooooooong 40 days; although I choose to do Lent on my own volition)

Thank you for the support! :thumb:
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:35 am

Don't celebrat Lent, but like Nate said, its hard to give up something you like especially for any length of time! More power to y'all who are, I guess...
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:58 am

Strange that on a Christian anime board there are so many who don't celebrate Lent.
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby FnlFntsyYuna » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:26 pm

Sailor Kenshin (post: 1289269) wrote:Strange that on a Christian anime board there are so many who don't celebrate Lent.

I never heard of it untill I read this. If I could give up some thing I like and do alot it would be youtube, for watching 1000 of DBSK Videos and korean game shows. DBSK are so Hot lolz~ and the korean show we got married is so addicting >__< that I don't think I can stop from watching them lol. LOVE DBSK!!!:dizzy::jump:
FnlFntsyYuna

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:47 pm

Sailor Kenshin (post: 1289269) wrote:Strange that on a Christian anime board there are so many who don't celebrate Lent.

Lent is hardly a universal tradition. I myself only heard of it through some lutheran friends in high school.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:26 am

One of the things I really like about CAA is the diversity displayed in the body of Christ; it's clearly visible on the board here. My tradition does not practice lent, per se, but we do teach fasting and praying. If a particular spiritual discipline from another tradition has merrit, I'm certainly not going to throw it out entirely, just because it's not something I've seen or done before. At least, not without a lot of soul searching. ;)

:thumb:
Mithrandir

Postby That Dude » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:08 am

I'm giving up lent for lent.

Though for real, Mith said exactly what I wanted to say, I wasn't raised in a denomination that celebrated lent but did stress fasting and praying. In fact I wasn't really raised in one certain denomination.

I have been going to two different Berean churches for the last ten years or so though...
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby minakichan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:14 am

Huh. Lent.

Actually, I think I WILL try it this year. I know what I would give up.... but I probably shouldn't repeat it here ^^;

Would like to ask those who possibly might know what it is to help keep me accountable.
ImageImage
minakichan

Next

Return to General