Black out!

Talk about anything in here.

Black out!

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:32 am

Ok, so last night was interesting for me. There was a big wind storm here with a winter weather advisory and everything. The wind knocked out the power to the whole school! The campus and surrounding area was in pitch black save for flashlights, car lights, and Lowe's, which had generators. XD From 7:30 til about 1 AM the lights were out. It was exciting for a while, but then it got old and I was ready for the lights to come back on. We played games in the hall on our respective floors of the dorms. It was fun. The only complain I have is my room mate went wondering off in the storm without being very clear where she was going because she was excited (ugh!) and I was worried. I couldn't get her on her phone either, probably because of the storm, so some friends and I went looking for her. We finally got her on her phone and found out she was in the chapel hanging out with the theater department crew because they'd been practicing for the play that opens tonight and ended up having to do a read through instead.

So anyway, the science building's doors cracked... er, the glass in them that is. The glass was cracked (spider vein style) by the wind. I believe the wind blew them open and when they hit the cinder block walls well, yeah. I'll take pictures later I guess, if they haven't fixed it by then. But boy, was it an interesting night!
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:00 am

Man, that sounds like fun XD I take it you live at college?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:08 am

I have yet to experience a power outage at my school, though I hear that they can be fun for awhile, XD. We've had one snow day and a delay so far, though.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:56 am

We also had high winds last night. I think they were between 40-60 MPH :-? Last time we had winds that high. Something outside got blown around and it the house XDD It about gave me a heart attack -_- It was really warm too (thunder and all of that), and we all know what warm front plus cold front equals, right? It wax kinda funny (but scary). Just as the wind really picked up.. A train passes by >_>

(They say it sounds like a train when a tornado hits)
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:50 pm

A few weeks ago we had a small power outage. It occurred when one of my roommates was watching a very climactic scene in the newest episode of Battlestar Galactica...

He stormed out of his room shouting "THERE IS NO GOD!" or "GOD DOESN'T LOVE ME!" XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:52 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1288112) wrote:Man, that sounds like fun XD I take it you live at college?

Yes, I do. I stay in the girl's dorm during the week and end up going home on weekends (to work mainly) because I only live 45 minutes from school.

Tsukuyomi (post: 1288136) wrote:We also had high winds last night. I think they were between 40-60 MPH :-? Last time we had winds that high. Something outside got blown around and it the house XDD It about gave me a heart attack -_- It was really warm too (thunder and all of that), and we all know what warm front plus cold front equals, right? It wax kinda funny (but scary). Just as the wind really picked up.. A train passes by >_>

(They say it sounds like a train when a tornado hits)

wow, talk about timing. Yeah, it was fun, but then it got old. Fast.
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:23 am

Fantasy Dreamer (post: 1288156) wrote:Yes, I do. I stay in the girl's dorm during the week and end up going home on weekends (to work mainly) because I only live 45 minutes from school.

You only live 45 mins away!? I had to travel 60 minutes (sometimes a bit more) every day...

On topic:
In Melbourne they had chaotic blackouts two weeks ago!
We had rolling blackouts around here during the heat wave, but we didn't actually experience any....
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:07 am

Yes, only 45 minutes. And I'm sorry you had to drive so far... :/ But that is precicely why I stay on campus, so I don't have to drive that far every day.

And what's a rolling black out? XD

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby F.M Disciple » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:32 pm

As far as I know, and I could be wrong.

-A rolling blackout is when the power grids of an area go out one at a time. instead of all at once.

The west coast did something like that in the early 2000's durring an energy crisis. The power company there preformed rolling black outs trying to prevent overloading and to save power. So conservation was highley recomended then. I remembered that they recomended you to wait till 7 P.M before turning on major applainces.
"Its very possible that I could give everything and obtain nothing, But still I have to try."
-Edward Elric.

"If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
-William Wilberforce.
F.M Disciple

Return to General