Valentine's Day tomorrow

Talk about anything in here.

Valentine's Day tomorrow

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:38 am

EDIT: I forgot today is THURSDAY, not Friday. Good job, me. This is what working long hours gets me I suppose. Maybe a mod can take care of this.

Yes, I, of all people, am starting a thread about this. Why not? I'm tired of being mopey and depressed and whiny about the holiday. It's best to take it in stride and not ruin it for those fortunate enough to celebrate it.

Despite there being no real connections between any of the Saint Valentines and romantic love, many myths and legends have been created to make just such a link. One of the most famous stories has a man named Valentine marrying soldiers in secret in spite of a law ordering them to remain single. In some versions of the fairy tale, Valentine has a relationship with a young woman and writes her the first "valentine" before his death. Some versions also have his beloved being the jailer's daughter.

Whatever the reason for the holiday, it's coming up soon. You guys who have girlfriends, you'd better have your stuff straight. :p

In that vein, does anyone have something unique or interesting planned to spring on their special someone tomorrow? Variety is the spice of life ya know. Candy and roses and candlelight dinners are all well and good, but find a way to give it a personal touch to make it special. *nodnod*

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:22 am

It's VALIUM-TIMES DAAAAY!

Or Singles Awareness Day. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:28 am

Because the Texas Music Educators Association is run by a pack of idiots, Number One Son's All-State Orchestra concert is on Feb 14 in San Antonio (a very long drive from Dallas indeed. In the Northeast, it is possible to drive the same distance and be four or five states away from where you started.)

So our romantic holiday shall consist of driving 5+ hours, seeing our son perform in All-State for the last time (he's a senior) and driving 5+ hours back. Somewhere in there, I imagine we will hit a restaurant, probably down on the Riverwalk. That's about it.

Fortunately, today, February 12, is mine and my lovely bride's twenty-second wedding anniversary. So gifts, flowers, etc. are tonight rather than Saturday. It's all good.

Our first five St. Valentine's Day dinners were all at Wendy's. An interesting story behind that, which I will write up and post one of these years on SVDay. (Maybe this year. I don't know.)
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:40 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1288086) wrote:It's VALIUM-TIMES DAAAAY!

This.

My friends and I are going to try to find something awesome to do that day to distract ourselves, XD.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:54 am

LadyRushia (post: 1288089) wrote:This.

My friends and I are going to try to find something awesome to do that day to distract ourselves, XD.

With a little more advanced planning, you could have done a SVDay party at a retirement home or something. Probably a little late to start at this point, but it's a thought for next year.

Why not do something for Christ, like going down to work in the homeless shelter or something? They get extra help on Turkey Day and Christmas, but not a lot the rest of the year.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby goldenspines » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:59 am

Is it? I hadn't noticed. >_>

No, really, I don't have much of anything planned, besides theater class homework; reading Hamlet.
Nothing like reading a good tragedy on Valentine's day. :D
goldenspines

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:14 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1288086) wrote:It's VALIUM-TIMES DAAAAY!

Singles Awareness Day is right. And in my school's cafeteria on V-Day night you get to see who all is single, because the single people are the only ones there. XD

[quote="goldenspines (post: 1288092)"]Is it? I hadn't noticed. >_>

No, really, I don't have much of anything planned, besides theater class homework]

Why not? Especially if its a love tragedy! When you're single you have to celebrate something on Valentine's Day, why not the tragic end to some fictional character's romance or something of the like? ^_^;

So, I am single and proud of it. But for the record, I hate Valentine's day and will do so until I find my special someone. And I have friends wishing me a Happy V-day. They're single as well, but still... -.-

Anyway, for those of us who do have a special someone... Happy Valentine's Day!! :D <3
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:14 am

EricTheFred (post: 1288091) wrote:With a little more advanced planning, you could have done a SVDay party at a retirement home or something. Probably a little late to start at this point, but it's a thought for next year.

Why not do something for Christ, like going down to work in the homeless shelter or something? They get extra help on Turkey Day and Christmas, but not a lot the rest of the year.

I'm actually probably going to do YACHT like I try to do usually, so I'd be hanging out with homeless people anyway, XD.

We might watch movies or walk around somewhere if the weather is still as nice as it has been this past week.

Fantasy Dreamer wrote:Singles Awareness Day is right. And in my school's cafeteria on V-Day night you get to see who all is single, because the single people are the only ones there. XD

My school's cafeteria is having chocolate dinner tomorrow night. I'm not really sure what that means, but as a girl I am very excited for it anyway, XD.
So, I am single and proud of it. But for the record, I hate Valentine's day and will do so until I find my special someone. And I have friends wishing me a Happy V-day. They're single as well, but still... -.-

I pretty much feel the same way, though I like someone so that might make it a little worse, XD.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:32 am

This will be my first Valentine's as an un-single person! ^_^ Unfortunately we both have to work that day Puuu...

But yeah! I also celebrate Purity Day on February 14th! ^^

Happy Valentine's everyone!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:57 am

Forgot all about it...

Anyway, the 14th means little to me. Just another day.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:49 am

/chatbot Time

Errr, that probably doesn't work out here XDDD

Either way, it should be a good day 8D

Happy (early) V-Day, guys <333
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:54 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1288118) wrote:I'm actually probably going to do YACHT like I try to do usually, so I'd be hanging out with homeless people anyway, XD.

We might watch movies or walk around somewhere if the weather is still as nice as it has been this past week.

My school's cafeteria is having chocolate dinner tomorrow night. I'm not really sure what that means, but as a girl I am very excited for it anyway, XD.

I pretty much feel the same way, though I like someone so that might make it a little worse, XD.

Yeah, but the chocolate sounds good! XD
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Fantasy Dreamer (post: 1288157) wrote:Yeah, but the chocolate sounds good! XD

And it will be! XD Though hopefully I won't gain over 9000 pounds.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:56 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]Yay, Single Awareness Day!! \o.o/

xDDDDDD
Nah, happy early V-Day ev'ryone!
Hope you get much loves!! 8D[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby The Liar XIII » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Tomorrow is not Valentines day, but it is Friday the 13th, and the release of the new movie!
And Friday the 13th, 3rd favourite day of the year.
Some Assembly Required

The Liar XIII

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:02 pm

I'm going to hate Saturday...
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby minakichan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:35 pm

I'm actually REALLY excited for V-Day because my last Saturday was totally booked, but this week I don't have anything going on and I have more time to catch up AND I'm ahead of my work curve (0w0) So my plans are something as follows:

1) Finish my linear algebra p-set
2) Work on Communications presentation
3) Get ahead on reading for Media in Cultural Context and Game Design
4) Make Hetalia character papercrafts (>u<)
5) Read some of the manga I bought from Taiwan that I STILL haven't gotten around to
6) Chinese practice
7) Paint

I'm hoping I also have time for sewing, but I won't push it.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby bakura_fan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:51 pm

uhm, I drew a valentines card for my husband. It has a song of songs verse and it has him and I hugging. Inside it just has a short message with our sillouettes against the sunset. :)

uhm...he's working on valentines...and he doesn't have the extra funds to get me anything, so I'm not expecting to get anything except a happy valentines day greeting and an "I love you" before he goes to work.
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:12 pm

bakura_fan (post: 1288228) wrote:uhm, I drew a valentines card for my husband. It has a song of songs verse and it has him and I hugging. Inside it just has a short message with our sillouettes against the sunset. :)

uhm...he's working on valentines...and he doesn't have the extra funds to get me anything, so I'm not expecting to get anything except a happy valentines day greeting and an "I love you" before he goes to work.

Aww, that's sweet! That would be enough for me! :)

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby KagayakiWashi » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:13 pm

I'm going to go around dressed as the Burger King and terrorize people in the park who are on mushy dates by shooting silly string at them.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Puguni » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:33 pm

Eat chocolate and go shopping with my single self. Best Valentine's day ever.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Kkun » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:36 pm

My plan is to get really wasted and make out with a couple of random girls.

[spoiler]
No, I'm just kidding, I'm going to be studying Canadian history with my friend who has a girlfriend, but she has to work.[/spoiler]
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Sparx00 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:57 pm

*sigh* Valentines Day again... I don't have a girlfriend (or anybody for that matter) to spend it with. Ah well, good things come to those who wait I guess. (Plus I have Valentines Night to look forward to! Root Beer EVERYWHERE! WE'RE GONNA PARTY!!!)
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:09 pm

Sparx00 (post: 1288306) wrote:*sigh* Valentines Day again... I don't have a girlfriend (or anybody for that matter) to spend it with. Ah well, good things come to those who wait I guess. (Plus I have Valentines Night to look forward to! Root Beer EVERYWHERE! WE'RE GONNA PARTY!!!)

Amen!

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby goldenspines » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:53 pm

[quote="Fantasy Dreamer (post: 1288094)"]
Why not? Especially if its a love tragedy! When you're single you have to celebrate something on Valentine's Day, why not the tragic end to some fictional character's romance or something of the like? ^_^]

This is quite true. Romeo and Juliet would be more fitting towards the holiday spirit, but I can't have everything. :p
goldenspines

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:58 pm

goldenspines (post: 1288315) wrote:This is quite true. Romeo and Juliet would be more fitting towards the holiday spirit, but I can't have everything. :p

No, I like not reading something sappy. If I had a special someone of my own, I might enjoy to read a good, sappy romance where everything works out in the end love story. But being single, on V-day, I'd prefer to read a tragic love story. Call it cynical if you want, but that's just how I think. XD

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby KagayakiWashi » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:08 pm

Fantasy Dreamer (post: 1288316) wrote:No, I like not reading something sappy. If I had a special someone of my own, I might enjoy to read a good, sappy romance where everything works out in the end love story. But being single, on V-day, I'd prefer to read a tragic love story. Call it cynical if you want, but that's just how I think. XD

Listen to Wagner's "Tristan und Isolde".
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby sharien chan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:16 pm

w00t I get to work. Thank you Starbucks. Then again that's what I get for asking for only the morning off for my premarital counseling session with my priest and fiance. However I am looking forward to the card my fiance supposedly got me. ^______^ I like cards.
sharien chan

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:28 pm

Kkun (post: 1288303) wrote:My plan is to get really wasted and make out with a couple of random girls.

Jamie this is why we keep you around here at CAA. LOLOL

Anyways I don't believe in Valentine's Day, because I think it's all a ploy to make the Hallmark people richer than they need to be. XD Regardless, I do actually have something of a significant other this year, but I'm not really expecting anything. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:49 pm

well, whether you get anything in return or not, I'm sure this 'significant other' will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Next

Return to General