What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby The Liar XIII » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:39 am

I got to read Oedipus at Colonus for school.
I like it for two reasons:
It deals with one of my greatest interests, Greek Mythology.
And, it reminds me of "The End" by The Doors. You know the whole "Father, I want to kill you and Mother I want to F-...." Well, that's another story. :sweat:
Some Assembly Required

The Liar XIII

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:59 am

Finished Lady Friday by Garth Nix. Exciting, fun read, blah blah blah.

Now I'm reading Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry, apparently a companion book/sequel to The Giver (though I don't see the connection yet). It's interesting, even if it didn't have anything to do with The Giver. It's about a primitive society, and a girl with a defect who proves that she can contribute to the society.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:48 pm

I've been neglecting this thread for a while. In catching up my comments will be somewhat brief.

Automatic Kafka by Joe Casey

Extremely experimental comic - an android former superhero escapes governmental drafting by becoming a celebrity while trying to find his humanity through sex and drugs. Ends up completely shattering the fourth wall, but I'm not sure it adds anything all the important to the genre. It does, however, have the entire cast of Peanuts as bitter middle-aged adults.

Scud the Disposable Assassin by Rob Schrab

Science fiction absurdism. And it is certainly absurd - the main character's personal antagonist is a mutant with an electrical plug for a head, moustraps for hands, and a squid belted to its stomach. One of my classmates insists this is an incredible piece that serves as "an allegory for the existential despair of ordinary American life" but I remain skeptical.

Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis

Brilliant futurism from Ellis. This is the story of a journalist forced to return to the city in order to fulfill his contract, going up against many forces in his mission to declare truth.

Doktor Sleepless by Warren Ellis

A newer work; still futurism but with a Lovecraftian twist. It may be too early to judge it, but I wasn't impressed by the 12 issues released so far.

100 Bullets by Brian Azzarello

It knows it's a crime drama and it doesn't try to be anything more. Well done but not groundbreaking.

Mister X by various creators

Everything about this title utterly fails to involve me.

Batman RIP by Grant Morrison

Supposedly an example of how serial comics can produce writing every bit as good as full length graphic novels, but I actually think this storyline is hurt by the serial format. Still good, but it could have been better.

Liberality for All by Mike Mackey and Donny Lin

Superhero comic in which liberals have taken over America, and Sean Hannity in an eyepatch is trying to fight "Ambassador Bin Laden." It would all be so hilarious if the writer wasn't completely serious. Really a tragic example of a warped perspective, though I still laughed a few times.

Black Summer by Warren Ellis

In all honesty, I am getting a bit tired of Warren Ellis and his general worldview. His characters are always unyielding and utterly sure of themselves, and everything works out because Ellis controls the world in which they live. This is a comic in which practically everyone dies and it still feels this way.

It does, at least, raise the interesting question of where a superhero archetype should draw the line. If they fight crime, do they fight corrupt corporations? If corporations, would they overthrow a government? If you control one thing, what is stopping you from controlling everything?

Final Crisis by various authors

Major DC comics events. I'm only part way through and so I'm reserving judgment. Given all the hype, though, it had better be good.
uc pseudonym

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:52 pm

I am currently reading "The Essential 55" by Ron Clark.
If you have never heard of the man, google him. His story is quite powerful.
The book itself focuses on teaching strategies....
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:32 pm

Oh I love Scud! That was one of my favorite indie comics.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ich1990 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:10 pm

“Accelerated Distance Learning” by Brad Voeller

I read this book several years ago, and have just finished a reread. It was the first book that I ever read about distance learning. I credit it for opening my eyes to a whole slew of college credit alternatives. For someone looking to get their college degree as fast and as cheaply as possible, this slightly dated book remains as one of the best resources available.

Accelerated Distance Learning is divided into two parts. The first part, about distance learning, provides a quick overview of the best DL colleges, the many different ways to earn credit, how to prepare for or complete portfolio assessments, credit-by-examination tests, etc. It has a ton of excellent and applicable information. Since this book has come out, several websites have sprung up and started offering the same type of information. Still, it is handy having it all compiled, printed, and paired up with real life experiences.

The second portion of the book is the “accelerated” part. This talks you through many great memory aids, writing tips, speed reading skills, and exam taking information. It gets a bit hard to separate the snake oil from the actual fact during these sections (which come complete with advertisements for the speed reading and memory training courses). On a whole, however, these chapters have many useful tips. The small chapter on speed reading, for example, helped me bump up my reading from around 450 word per minute to about 700 words per minute (after that, reading comprehension drops to an unacceptable level).

This book is not perfect, but it still has lots of information that anyone who is considering going to college should check out before deciding to go the "traditional" way. The credit-by-examination idea is especially applicable to motivated or homeschooled students. The “accelerated” tips work somewhat, but aren't as good as they are made out to be. 8/10
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby ich1990 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:27 pm

“The Metamorphosis” by Franz Kafka

As a book of “classic” literature status, this novella is the unfortunate victim of both over interpretation (Kafka was satirizing the Pope!) and under interpretation (This book is dumb, I don't get it.). I was lucky enough to read this book before hearing any interpretations or plot spoilers. As a result, I enjoyed it immensely. I won't put any spoilers or interpretations in this review, but if you haven't read “The Metamorphosis”, you might want to read it before you read much about it.

The plot is relatively straight forward. A man wakes up one day and finds that he has been transformed into a bug. The remainder of the novella shows how the family reacts to his change, and how he goes on to live the remainder of his life. No answer, scientific or otherwise, is given as to why or how this has happened. It just did, and now the man and his family must learn to cope with the change.

The inherit difficulties in the relationship between the bug man and his family are the crux of the story. To me, it resembled a relationship gone wrong between a quadriplegic and his financially poor family. That is to say it is depressing and morose. If you are looking for a happy book, then don't read this one. If you want to read a well written and mildly disturbing tale of gloom, this is it. 9/10
ich1990

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:34 pm

I may miss a few of the last graphic novels I read, but that wouldn't be a particular disaster.

Sin City by Frank Miller

An example of a series where the artwork is much more groundbreaking and notable than the writing. Though the latter is notable for containing absolutely no women that are not naked a great deal of the time or actually prostitutes literally. Bastion of feminism Miller is not.

The Filth by Grant Morrison

It appears to be a random story, but once you have read enough to actually understand it is actually a simple (if bizarre) narrative. Not even vaguely appropriate for general audiences, for those who might be interested.

Global Frequency by Warren Ellis

Each chapter has a different artist, different story, different tone and theme. It is interesting how the art styles closely mirror the nature of the story. Ultimately, however, the story fails to build on the central characters and organization. Others may like episodic, television-like series, but it isn't for me.

Seven Soldiers by Grant Morrison

Interesting DC megaseries. A superhero team of seven characters that never meet one another. Each has their own miniseries that develops a central plot, yet they only cross paths unknowingly.

Firewalls and Internet Security by William Cheswick, Steven Bellovin, and Aviel Rubin

This isn't a graphic novel. Just in case you were wondering. It is a fascinating book on system security, however. I am enjoying it as an intermediate computer user: I know enough to understand what they write, but the information is mostly new to me.
uc pseudonym

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:45 am

Let's see. I finished Gathering Blue, and read Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones (no relation to the Miyazaki movie Castle in the Sky). It's the sequel to Howl's Moving Castle, but the main character is a guy named Abdullah from a Middle Eastern-styled country far from Ingary, where Sophie and Howl live. He gets a magic carpet and a genie, and has a very Alladin-esque adventure. This was a highly enjoyable book, very much like a fairy tale yet exciting all the same. And everything got wrapped up so completely; at first I thought it was a little unrealistic, but then I reminded myself that it's supposed to feel like a fairy tale, where everything gets wrapped up and everyone lives happily ever after.

Now I'm reading The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman, which is about a sixty-year-old lady who works with the FBI or something like that. I'm mainly reading this one because she goes to Istanbul in it, and I used to live there, so I thought I might as well. (I noticed some errors in Gilman's Turkish *snicker snicker*)

I'm also halfway through Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey. It is awesome. I haven't read any of her other Valdemar books, so I'm new to the world of Heralds (who all have a Companion, which is a mysterious sentient being that looks like a horse). This story is about Lavan Chitward, who discovers he has the Gift of Firestarting (rather violently, I might add), and is Chosen by a Companion called Kalira. I especially like the deep relationship between Lavan and Kalira; they can call each other things like "gorgeous" and "my love", but you know it's not about romance because they're completely different kinds of creatures. Anyway, Brightly Burning has earned its place on my favorites.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby That Dude » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:55 am

Let's see...

The Cost Of Discipleship: Deitrich Bonheoffor.

The Grand Weaver: Ravi Zacharias.

Royal Assassin: Robin Hobb.

Knowledge Of The Holy: A. W. Towzer.

I'm reading a few more but those are kinda the ones that I'm focusing on right now.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Technomancer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:07 am

I just finished "Shadow of the Silk Road" by Colin Thubron, which was and excellent read.

http://www.amazon.ca/Shadow-Silk-Road-Colin-Thubron/dp/0061231770/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233860675&sr=1-1

Right now, I'm starting Barry Cunliffe's new book "Europe Between the Oceans, 9000 BC-AD 1000

http://www.amazon.ca/Europe-Between-Oceans-9000-BC-AD/dp/0300119232/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233860833&sr=1-1
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby GeneD » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:04 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1286649) wrote:Let's see. I finished Gathering Blue, and read Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones (no relation to the Miyazaki movie Castle in the Sky).

Castle in the Air is a great book. :) Everything is super neat in the end, but it's still fun.

Currently reading Taliesin by Stephen Lawhead, but that's kinda on hold now while I am reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, which I am very much enjoying.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:08 am

I've been working on Feast of Crows by George R.R. Martin. I've loved the series up to this point, but this one is building up to be my favorite in the series. If nothing else, it is easily the best written of them.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:10 pm

"Emma" by Jane Austin.....and a follow-up with "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:45 pm

I can think of a certain book with zombies you might like.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:20 pm

I am currently reading "Memories and Commentaries" by Igor Stravinsky and Robert Craft.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:53 pm

Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Epic. At least as far as I am now, there are no main characters except the man and his young son. It's extremely bleak, desolate and unsettling, but the relationship between the man and the little boy ("each the other's world entire") evokes genuine emotion from the reader.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:56 am

GeneD (post: 1287080) wrote:I am reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, which I am very much enjoying.

:jump: Yay Dracula! That's the only vampire story I've ever been able to stomach.

Anyway, I finished Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey. Awesome book, lovely descriptions, engrossing storyline...man, I wish I could write like that.

Now I am reading Wild at Heart by John Eldredge. Very interesting read.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby F.M Disciple » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:31 am

I'm Reading Rurouni Kenshin. And the fullmetal alchemist series.
"Its very possible that I could give everything and obtain nothing, But still I have to try."
-Edward Elric.

"If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
-William Wilberforce.
F.M Disciple

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:19 pm

The Shack by William Young

This got a assigned for a class, so I have to read it carefully (and make study questions, no less). I am not pleased.

The Origins and Development of the English Language by Thomas Pyles and John Algeo

One of the most enjoyable textbooks I have ever had assigned.

The Fate of Meaning: Charles Peirce, Structuralism, and Literature

My professor wrote this, which makes talking about it in class a bit awkward. At least he provided it to us free of cost.

F.M Disciple wrote:I'm Reading Rurouni Kenshin. And the fullmetal alchemist series.

Unless you mean the various light novels based on those series, you may want to mention them in this thread instead:
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=8724
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:16 pm

re-reading Mere Christianity. Not reading anything else, actually. I should remedy that.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Danderson » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:07 pm

Sinner by Ted Dekker....Only started a few days ago. Considering I've read the Paradise Novels (Showdown and Saint) in chronological order, I'm already excited by what I've read so far...Though, I think it's somewhat scary how close us in America seem to be to Ted Dekkers vision of where America is in his story...with the whole "everyone's into tolerance" sorta thing....
Danderson

Postby F.M Disciple » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:32 pm

Besides stuff for school.

i'm starting to read " Three cups of tea"by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Belin.
"Its very possible that I could give everything and obtain nothing, But still I have to try."
-Edward Elric.

"If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
-William Wilberforce.
F.M Disciple

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:16 pm

bigsleepj (post: 1289592) wrote:re-reading Mere Christianity. Not reading anything else, actually. I should remedy that.

Good book.

I'm reading A Young Woman's Walk with God by Elizabeth George, and Emma by Jane Austin. Currently, that is...
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:51 pm

Finished Wild at Heart, and read Superior Saturday by Garth Nix in just a few days. Man, I'm so sad I can't read the final book yet! :waah!:

And now I'm reading Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice. Yes, a vampire book :drool: I've never been much of one for vampire stories, but I'm giving this one the at-least-a-hundred-pages treatment. We'll see.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ich1990 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:48 pm

Blumhardt's Battle: A Conflict With Satan translated by Frank Boshold

This is a narrative written by a Lutheran pastor, Johann Christoph Blumhardt, of the town of Möttlingen, Germany. He submitted this report to his superiors in the Lutheran Church over 150 years ago. It describes his dealings with the demonic possession of one of his church members.

As far as non-fiction "exorcism" stories go, this is about the least exploitative and graphic as can be found. As such, I would highly recommend it as anti-apathy medication for Christians. I found it truly inspiring (which is not something that I say lightly).

It can be read, for free, here:
http://davidkeames.googlepages.com/blumhardt'sbattle
ich1990

Postby shade of dae » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:34 am

Just finished The Tales of the Black Widowers. It was a truly enjoyable book, and made for easy reading because it was separated into short stories. Henry was by far my favorite character, and that is mostly because he reminded me of Jeeves.
I am also currently reading The Gods Themselves, also by Isaac Asimov, a writer I very much admire. The story is made doubly fascinating by the fact that the key characters are all chemists. As I am taking a chemistry class at the moment, it is interesting to be able to understand a little of what they are talking about (a very little, mind you).
After I am finished with The Gods Themselves, I have a pile of books from the library consisting of The Great Gatsby, Dracula, and a collection of Kurt Vonnegut books including: Slaughterhouse-Five, The Sirens of Titan, Player Piano, Cat's Cradle, Breakfast of champions, and Mother Night.
Then of course, I need to finish my own copies of Villette, and The Scarlet Letter. Where I will find the time to actually do school, I have no idea.
MAL

What call have I to dream of anything?
I am a wolf. Back to the world again,
And speech of fellow-brutes that once were men
Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.
-C.S. Lewis
shade of dae

Postby Kkun » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:15 am

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. His second novel and the first of a trilogy. I'm stoked on this man's career. He may not be the best WRITER (at first, anyway; it seems like his books get better as the story progresses), but he is one heck of a storyteller. His magic systems are different, his characters are engaging, fresh and varied, and his take on the fantasy genre is just more enjoyable than the typical swords and sorcery, go-find-item-x quest tale without resorting to brutal nihilism like George R.R. Martin (sorry, Etoh, heh). This one is fashioned after a heist story with the second and third books becoming more political. I don't mean to gush, but darn it if I'm not enthralled.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:50 pm

Up to Interesting Times in my Discworld addiction and I don't intend on stopping anytime soon. It's good to see Rincewind again, and I like the setting: an echo of ancient Imperialist China, in an empire comprised of five feuding kingdoms: Hong, Sung, Fang, Tang and McSweeney.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Sheenar » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:33 pm

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes --I am only a couple of chapters into it, but it has definitely given me a new view of Mr. Holmes. Brilliant detective. Cocaine addict.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner