Peacemaker Kurogane

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Peacemaker Kurogane

Postby rocklobster » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:01 pm

I saw this on Crunchyroll. I was wondering if anyone here has seen it. From what I've heard, it's a historical story set during the Feudal era of Japanese history about a kid joining the Shinsengumi.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:48 pm

I am trying to watch it right now. I say trying because.....it's just not that easy for me to get into.....but....maybe if I give it a little more time. I think it is interesting, though, that both Peacemaker and Rurouni Kenshin use the same historical figure, Saito Hajime, in their stories. How accurate either of these animes portray him.....I don't know.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Debitt » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:28 pm

I actually watched this for a...history paper. It's a long story.

In some ways, I found the show really really interesting -- while it's not particularly historically accurate by any stretch, it uses a lot of the folklore and historical trivia in an amusing sort of way, though the effect would probably be lost if you're not pretty thoroughly versed in Shinsengumi history/popular lore.

As a show itself though, I found it a bit lacking. Tetsu is a really annoying protagonist, and while he grows as a character during the course of the series he really just spends a lot of it either being irritating or traumatized/emo -- the latter I could have empathized with if he hadn't made me want to punt him into a river beforehand. Most of the other characters sort of fall neatly into "nice guy" "goofy guy" "grumpy guy" "worried older brother" stereotypes, which doesn't make them much more than entertaining on a superficial level.

The plot of the anime feels a little disjointed as well -- the plot comes in bursts, and until the end is kind of sprinkled in with episodes that feel a lot like filler. I'm not sure if they really ARE filler since I haven't read the manga series, but there you go.

The manga had a longer run than the anime, so I'd imagine it's better fleshed out than the anime, so maybe give that a go? Because I found the anime to be "not bad" at best and "oh gosh when is it over? When will things start happening?" at worst.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews