Does anyone ever feel psychologically older then they are?

Talk about anything in here.

Does anyone ever feel psychologically older then they are?

Postby Dante » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:34 pm

I've noticed this. It just seems like over the last several years that I'm psychologically (as in how I feel) feeling older and older at a VERY rapid pace. And further more, its not a positive feeling. I'm 22 going on 23 and I feel like I'm in my 40's.

I mean, when the pastor talks about dating I'm the one who might oddly feel like I'm too old to be considering "that childish stuff". When others that should be of similar age are singing or clapping, I'm unfortunately finding myself giving sharp looks to imply they should "act more mature". Or when kids "my own age" (and yeah they're my age but I still call them kids) approach me for friendship I feel I'm more likely to shun them and seek out discussion with someone who is much older. Often times when asked in exercise courses to do exercise I often find myself making the comment "I'm too old for this kind of thing."

Overall, I just feel like I'm becoming an old man in this body, even though spiritually I feel much younger. It's really weird.

Anyone else feel this way?
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby That Dude » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:20 pm

It's really funny because I've felt like that since my early teens...But as I've grown older I've started to find myself feeling younger, I think that may be because I've grown more spiritually mature and keep on finding out how pathetic I am without Christ.

Anyway I still have a problem calling people my age and sometimes older "kids." My oldest brother always says that I'm like an old man mixed with a young geek...Or something like that.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Midori » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:15 pm

I'm not quite sure whether I feel 23 or 15 right now... But yeah. It's amazing how little your feeling of age depends on your actual age as you get older. When you're 4 or 5, your age is the most important thing about you. When you're older, it matters less.
Midori

Postby Kurama » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:38 pm

I feel psychologically younger than I really am. O.O I wish I felt older but I just haven't hit that yet in my life.
Kurama

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:42 am

Only in the "Dang kids! Get off my lawn!" sort of way.

And seeking out people older than you for conversation is generally a good thing. More teens and twentysomethings shoud do it.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Robin Firedrake » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:26 am

I feel younger... And considering my age right now that isn't really a good thing.
Robin Firedrake

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:05 am

Yes. It's not quite uncommon, actually. =)

We have three different types of ages: Chronological Age, Biological Age, and Psychological Age.

Chronological: How old you really are.
Biological: The point age which your body is developed at.
Psychological Age: The age which your mind is at. Decisions on what kind of person you are as well as your maturity/immaturity level. May be tied with your biological age depending on how quickly your brain developed compared to other people.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:14 am

Every time I have to deal with some issue my teenager has created for himself and the rest of us, I feel about 47....

Oh, wait...

Seriously, it's a common thing for the well-grounded or moral conscious to look around and conclude they're surrounded by immature people, or conversely, to think they themselves must be emotionally older than their age. After all, they worked through the same issues when they were younger than this. Just don't start feeling self-righteous about it. Sometimes we don't notice our short-comings when we focus on our neighbors. Remember that bit about the mote in your brother's eye?
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby ich1990 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:19 am

I think this is fairly normal, especially for those of us who were forced to "grow up" much earlier than normal (starting college at a young age, etc.). In fact, throughout my entire life I have mainly associated with people who are decades older than me. I am simply not very comfortable around teenagers.

The trick is to remember that acting like your age does not mean that you have the maturity of that age. So, go ahead, act childish and use bad puns. It is really much more fun than acting mature, and you won't be able to get away with it forever. When a serious situation pops up, be serious. Try to achieve a healthy balance and remember that you don't have anything to prove to the world.

I hope I don't sound preachy. This is something that I have had to work through, I hope my comments help you.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:37 am

I always kinda feel younger than 19, but maybe that's because I always thought I could have boyfriends, go out parting and swear when I got older. Of course, those things never happened. I'm kinda like- "Yippie- about 1/4 of my life is over."
Shao Feng-Li

Postby The Liar XIII » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:18 am

Honestly, I do.
Especially when I write. Just this whole other side of me comes out. Kind of like a brilliant, sad, disturbed, mature kind of character.
While, this joking persona I portray on CAA and other forums is just me on an every day basis.
Most of my poetry and my short stories comes from this side. This person I love to be, this older character.
It's just weird. I just get this excellent feeling of maturity and creativity. It's hard to explaining.

This side really came out when I started listening to The Doors.
Some Assembly Required

The Liar XIII

Postby ADXC » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:47 pm

Wow, good topic. Yeah I do feel as if Im way more mature than my guy classmates. I mean I usually seem like the only one who is working when everyone else is just playing around worrying about nothing of the sort. At times I can be a little spontaneous and not feel older than I am, but when Im sober(Not hyper off of chocolate.) I usually am very serious to what I am doing and not wanting to goof-off.

Spiritually though, Im still learning. I may be a teenager at best as far as my spiritual life goes. I don't spend nearly the amount of time in the Bible that I need to and I usually only spend just 15 minutes a day in the Bible. So spiritually Im not grown up at all.
ADXC

Postby minakichan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:19 pm

I used to feel like that.

I got over it, thank goodness.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:25 pm

I think its pretty common.

In some ways I feel older, in some ways I feel right about where I'm supposed to be.

I mean, I love feeling like this young girl in her "prime". I get to party and be a seductress without feeling weird, so... I think I'm good there.

But most of my friends are older then me. I mean, I bonded really well with this 27 year old... a decade older then me. We went out for coffee a ton, but people were telling me it was unnatural for me to hang out with someone so significantly older then me.
Most of my friends are at least 2 or 3 years older then me, but I consider myself more mature then them in most respects, so I have no clue.

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Robin Firedrake » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:48 pm

Ok. Here's me.: Not accepted by other people my age, most adults like me. They tell me I'm very mature for my age, I think "I'm not old enough to drink coffee yet!"
Robin Firedrake

Postby SailorDove » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:35 pm

While growing up, I always was around & preferred the company of those older & younger than myself. We were pretty much on the same wavelength. So unlike when I was stuck in a classroom, (or other environment), with teenagers my own age. Then I'd be either quietly lost &/or socially inept.

Surprised no one mentioned that verse about "being childlike, not childish" yet.
Naruto Fanfic: Kokoro of Konoha by Sailor Dove

What is the power of the weak and the weakness of power?

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby Whitefang » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:46 pm

At the moment, I feel 2 years older in my physical age, but my mental age is about where it should be. I used to feel extremely mature for my age in high school, but looking back I would have reacted to various situations drastically differently.

I didn't smoke, didn't have sex, didn't do drugs, didn't drink, etc. (Uh, still don't, but that's irrelevant). But even still, I realize that, looking back, I wasn't as mature as I had made myself out to be. I still react poorly in social situations, but that's because it's something I have to work at to be successful. I feel as though I am definitely maturing as I age at a steady rate; but having the regrets that I have just makes me realize how far away I am from understanding much of anything, so now I feel that maturity is irrelevant and responsibility is what I should focus on as I develop now.
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:07 pm

I feel around 4 years younger than my actual age. I am still immature and have not learned to drive. XD
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:20 pm

KeybladeWarrior (post: 1286835) wrote:I feel around 4 years younger than my actual age. I am still immature and have not learned to drive. XD

XD
I lol-ed at that =P

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby PrincessZelda » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:52 pm

When I was younger, I did. Now it's kind of the reverse. I seriously can't believe I'm as old as I am.

Oh yeah, and when I was like, 13-14, people would think I was 17 or so, and now that I'm 18, people think I'm 16.... o_o
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:09 pm

Haha, me too.
I think it's just cos I'm so tall.
Well, I mean, people always think I'm older. Still. So, not a "me too" entirely =p

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:59 am

Pascal (post: 1286583) wrote:I've noticed this. It just seems like over the last several years that I'm psychologically (as in how I feel) feeling older and older at a VERY rapid pace. And further more, its not a positive feeling. I'm 22 going on 23 and I feel like I'm in my 40's.

I mean, when the pastor talks about dating I'm the one who might oddly feel like I'm too old to be considering "that childish stuff". When others that should be of similar age are singing or clapping, I'm unfortunately finding myself giving sharp looks to imply they should "act more mature". Or when kids "my own age" (and yeah they're my age but I still call them kids) approach me for friendship I feel I'm more likely to shun them and seek out discussion with someone who is much older. Often times when asked in exercise courses to do exercise I often find myself making the comment "I'm too old for this kind of thing."

Overall, I just feel like I'm becoming an old man in this body, even though spiritually I feel much younger. It's really weird.

Anyone else feel this way?

Alas, I feel the opposite---and I'm old enough to be everyone's grandparent. :p

I think, though, that when I was younger, I felt the same way you do.
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby soul alive » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:34 am

I'm the 'baby' in my class-year at school, and that's saying a lot, considering we have people who are 50+ in the major I'm in, so I've felt younger than I was for several years.

At the moment, I think I feel pretty close to my age, of course, being stressed out 24/7 from grad school tends to take things like that out of my thought process... lol
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:13 am

I've always been the youngest in my class/grade. I started college at 17 while a good number of juniors in high school are 17. I didn't skip a grade or anything, I just have a late birthday and started kindergarten when I was four (before they changed the law). Most of my friends are older than me anyway, but I generally feel like my age; however, there are times where I feel more mature/smarter than most people my age, and I've been told that by a good number of adults, so yeah, XD.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Doubleshadow » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:02 pm

I've always been mentally older than my peers. I suppose it comes from being as smart as I am from all the reading I did. Now that I'm in grad. school though, I'm around people of similar intellect, so I now longer feel like I'm surrounded by overgrown babies all the time like I did in high school.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Sailor Kenshin (post: 1286897) wrote:Alas, I feel the opposite---and I'm old enough to be everyone's grandparent. :p

I think, though, that when I was younger, I felt the same way you do.

Mind me asking how old you are? XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby minakichan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:11 pm

Alas, I feel the opposite---and I'm old enough to be everyone's grandparent. :p

Wow.

I sure wish my 93-year-old grandma could use the internet... and remember that yes, I am related to her, and no, I'm not the maid.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:55 pm

Most of my friends are older than I am and I still often feel like I'm surrounded by teenagers. XD

Sometimes I feel like an old geezer lady and sometimes I feel like a little kid. It depends on who I've been hanging around.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Popsicle » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:56 pm

I often feel older than I am. But I know in a couple years I'll probably look back at myself and be like,"wow, I was stupid."
Popsicle

Postby RandomBurrito » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:49 am

I'm sorta opposite. I feel younger than what I really am; I mean c'mon I'm 83! Ok, just joking about the 83 thing (obviously) but I do often feel younger than what I am; though, occasionally, I do feel either the age that I am or older. It all depends I guess. Did I make sense? ._.
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Next

Return to General