Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby minakichan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:24 am

Shugo Chara-- adorable art, charming characters, saccharine doki-doki lovely elements. It appeals best to younger girls or older folks with kind of a nostalgic love of cute. I personally think it's better than most anime for younger girls because the main character's personality isn't the same old nice sweet girl.

@Tsukkie: It's not licensed and therefore not dubbed, but Itazura na Kiss is like, not only a totally classic series that tons of others borrow from, it's got that doki doki factor like no other, really elicits a reaction. Kind of like Peach Girl in that respect, but it's not as infuriating in that sense hahaha.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby RandomBurrito » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:13 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1281914) wrote:CAA ni irrashaimase! I'm replying in the Recommendations Thread because your very first post at CAA got shut down practically before you hit the 'submit' button. Ouch.

Shugo Chara is a popular offering from a very popular team of manga artists, so I did check out a few episodes. It didn't have anything to hold me, but I'm not the right demographic. I just had to check into it because CrunchyRoll and TV Tokyo have used it as a vehicle to explore legal online streaming Anime, so it's kind of a history maker. Good artwork, but someone else will have to comment on the story.

Clannad, on the other hand, is typical Dating-Sim-Converted-To-Anime fare, and not one of the better ones, in my opinion.

Any idea on what really interests you? If you're new to anime, you can talk about what American TV shows, films or books entertain you. Anime has a very wide range of genres, and we have lots of different tastes represented here at CAA.

I realized that right after I posted it... sorry.

A friend of mine had told me about them, but I wasn't to sure about watching them because of what type of content they may have.

Umm... well I've been watching anime since I was little, but that was more of the younger genre type; Sonic X and Tokyo Mew Mew for example.
Things that interest me in an anime are romance and comedy, action is good to. I like some character driven animes as well like Beyond the Clouds (I'm halfway through that one).
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby blkmage » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:33 am

I enjoyed Clannad and am enjoying Clannad After Story. Out of the dating-sim anime conversions that I've seen, I'd put Clannad near the top. It could be that I've watched some really bad ones. But, Clannad appeals to me because even though the characters fall into archtypes, they manage to be likable, entertaining, and not annoying or aggravatingly stupid. Another nice thing is that the scope seems to be larger than others in the genre: it goes on beyond high school.
blkmage

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:14 pm

All right, so I'm looking for a bit more anime to add to my list. ^^ I like villain-fighting-pwning-with-superpower action. I've seen Sailor Moon, Princess Tutu, and Cardcaptor Sakura and like all three of these. I've also seen a few episodes of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and didn't really care for it at first but it's getting better as I go along. I plan on watching Tokyo Mew Mew once I finish a series I'm already watching.

However... I'm a boy, so I kind of want some stuff that's a bit more masculine to balance it all out. ^^ Can anybody think of some good shonen that has just as much crime-fighting with cool powers that those shows have?
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Shiningmonk_e » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:21 pm

One of my favorites right now is Soul Eater. It has a unique art style and setting and is very funny. It starts out good but once you get to like 15 or something it gets really good. I would probably recommend it to Bleach lovers or action lovers in general. It's not dubbed yet so I'm not sure of the legality of watching it.:sweat:
Shiningmonk_e

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:44 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1282164) wrote:All right, so I'm looking for a bit more anime to add to my list. ^^ I like villain-fighting-pwning-with-superpower action. I've seen Sailor Moon, Princess Tutu, and Cardcaptor Sakura and like all three of these. I've also seen a few episodes of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and didn't really care for it at first but it's getting better as I go along. I plan on watching Tokyo Mew Mew once I finish a series I'm already watching.

However... I'm a boy, so I kind of want some stuff that's a bit more masculine to balance it all out. ^^ Can anybody think of some good shonen that has just as much crime-fighting with cool powers that those shows have?

Soul Eater
D.Gray-Man
One Piece
Busou Renkin
Rurouni Kenshin
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hunter X Hunter
Bleach

I'm not sure about the "crime-fighting" bit, but action series like these are going to be (roughly) the guy-oriented equivalent to what you are describing.
If you find cool/unique powers to be especially important, One Piece might be particularly interesting to you. Hunter X Hunter also has some unique scenarios.
If length is an issue to you, Busou Renkin and Soul Eater are the shortest of those I listed. Series like this can usually get to be pretty long.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:56 pm

Length is no big deal to me. ^^ I like some good long stories, but sometimes shortness is good as well. Thanks. I'll have to keep an eye out for all of those. If anybody has more suggestions feel free to keep 'em coming.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby RandomBurrito » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:11 pm

[quote="RandomBurrito (post: 1281980)"]I realized that right after I posted it... sorry.

A friend of mine had told me about them, but I wasn't to sure about watching them because of what type of content they may have.

Umm... well I've been watching anime since I was little, but that was more of the younger genre type]

I forgot to mention "Please nothing with nudity". Something clean.
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby yukoxholic » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:48 am

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1281416) wrote:Thanks for confirming it for me too. ^^ I think I'll have to watch it dubbed when I re-watch it. When compared to the sub and the dub, which do you prefer? So far the only dub I've necessarily liked much more than the sub was Fruits Basket, but I'm curious about this one too.

I prefer the dub for Princess Tutu. On many occasions I'll prefer dubbed over subbed because it can sometimes be tedious to read while watching what's happening in the scene. I feel as if I miss something but if the dub is just horrendous I love subs! :D Though certain animes I have watched which only have subtitles are in depserate need of a dub much like Emma: A Victorian Romance. There's something so wrong about English people who live in London speaking Japanese with a Japanese rather then English accent... >_>

Just typing that out is confusing. XD

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1282164) wrote:All right, so I'm looking for a bit more anime to add to my list. ^^ I like villain-fighting-pwning-with-superpower action. I've seen Sailor Moon, Princess Tutu, and Cardcaptor Sakura and like all three of these. I've also seen a few episodes of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and didn't really care for it at first but it's getting better as I go along. I plan on watching Tokyo Mew Mew once I finish a series I'm already watching.

You should try Cat's Eye. It's a nice, action-y crime-fighting anime. It's subbed only though. Cat's Eye is about three sisters who lead double lives. By day they're ordinary women and by night they're crime-solving vigilantes. I liked the pacing of the show and I loved all the characters. For me it didn't "drag along" as some animes tend to do but kept with the flow of the story without too many fillers of "girls kick bad guys butts and the day is saved". XD I should probably note there are no "magical" elements" to this show. Also, it's been a while but I do not believe there is anything questionable aside from some violence and cursing but there wasn't really alot of that either if I do recall.

R.O.D the TV is another great show ironically again about three sisters who have the power to manipulate paper. They are employed by Dokusensha (a fishy publishing company who seeks out rare documents as well as serves as a type of "underground organization") in efforts to help protect author Nenene Sumiregawa. Through a series of events that follow they all come to learn more about their past and what the future holds for them as well as the fate of the entire world.

You don't really have to watch the Read or Die OVA in order to enjoy this series. Aside from a few characters crossing over from the OVA into this series the stories do differ. Probably the only part of this show that may be confusing for those who haven't seen the OVA is the disappearance of Yomiko Reedman.

This series is packed full of action, suspense, comedy, and mystery. I love this anime. There is minor cursing as well as some very mild fan service. There is also one instance of brief nudity in 2 episodes. One of those episodes was just a flashback of the nudity seen in the prior episode. It is detailed but it's not meant in a sexual way. The nudity is a result of a character changing to go swimming. That episode you see it for a few moments. In the flashback episode if you blink you miss it and if you like you could always just skip those episodes as the flashback was more a filler trying to recap the viewer on what's going on and the Explorer episode could also be skipped without missing much.

Oh, I second One Piece! ^_^ But you're in for a long-haul if you do like that show, lots and lots and lots of episodes.

Hope this helps!
yukoxholic

Postby Roz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:33 pm

I second Busou Renkin, one of my favs!
Roz

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:09 pm

Thanks everybody! ^^ I'll have to look those up on MAL.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Gabriel 9.0 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:10 pm

I also recommend Kiddy Grade, Please Teacher, Silent Mobius. And will list more once they come to mind, lol.
Some of my favorite scriptures.

Psalm91
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

Hebrews 4-4
1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

James 4
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Gabriel 9.0

Postby Robin Firedrake » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:06 pm

k. I'm back. I mostly just want anything that my mother wouldn't object to (No language or sexual content). I'm fine with super action shows or ones where the plot is king. Oh... And I really would like it if you could actually get one with dragons in it ^_^
Robin Firedrake

Postby That Dude » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:20 am

Robin Firedrake (post: 1284349) wrote:k. I'm back. I mostly just want anything that my mother wouldn't object to (No language or sexual content). I'm fine with super action shows or ones where the plot is king. Oh... And I really would like it if you could actually get one with dragons in it ^_^

Try looking at Dragon Drive, it's pretty clean (I think it was rated 10+) and though I haven't seen the anime the manga is actually pretty decent.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Robin Firedrake » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:08 am

Hmm... I dun see a review for that. Know of anywhere there is a review?
Robin Firedrake

Postby That Dude » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:50 pm

Sorry I don't know, if I find one I'll let you know.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Robin Firedrake » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Are there any little bits of the title you left off? I might be able to search for a review if there are.

Edit: Never mind. I found a review. Looks pretty good. I'll look into it.
Robin Firedrake

Postby That Dude » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Well I was just looking for a review but just found your edit. Have you seen the movie Castle In The Sky? Because if you haven't you really should add it to your list, it's PG and one of the most fun movies that I've seen.
That Dude

Postby Robin Firedrake » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:01 pm

Never seen it. I'll check that one out too.
Robin Firedrake

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:05 pm

Robin Firedrake (post: 1284349) wrote:k. I'm back. I mostly just want anything that my mother wouldn't object to (No language or sexual content). I'm fine with super action shows or ones where the plot is king. Oh... And I really would like it if you could actually get one with dragons in it ^_^

Two questions:

1. How flexible is your mother on "No language?" While finding something to recommend without any sexual content is possible, finding much with absolutely no profanity (and, in addition, something that you would probably be interested in) would be fairly difficult. Most anime would at least be roughly a PG-13 rating or so and likely will have at least mild swears.

2. Can you give any examples of anime you have seen and liked, and that your parents approve of?

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Sheol777 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:35 pm

Spirited Away

No language
No sexuality
Great plot

...also a couple of dragon sightings.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Pettos » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:05 pm

Trigun, Metropolis, Chaos head, Honey and Clover, Chrono Crusade, Maria sama ga miteru, Maria holic (lol), Ef: at tale of memories, Casshern Sins, Bleach, Junjou romantica 2 (just kidding haha!), Michiko to Hatchin (worth seeing!), Toradora, Hyakko, Soul eater, Bonen no Xamdou, Gundam, Gurren lagann, Afro samurai, Samurai Champloo (great!), lucky star, Hellsing, Midori days, Monster, D. gray man, Paranoia agent, Eureka 7, Elfen lied (not for kids), Ruroini Kenshin, Ghost in the shell, Kannagi(too bad its so short), Ninja resurrection (not for kids either), Gungrave, Trinity blood (yay for the catholics!), Gash bell (worst thing i ever seen, but hey its funneh!)

Ive copied this text from...both my gaia, myspace and youtube list. :lol: Look em up, I recommend them! Btw im looking for something like...an anime series that is similar to Trinity blood. Any suggestions?

Yea...
Pettos

Postby Robin Firedrake » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:31 pm

MasterDias (post: 1285515) wrote:Two questions:

1. How flexible is your mother on "No language?" While finding something to recommend without any sexual content is possible, finding much with absolutely no profanity (and, in addition, something that you would probably be interested in) would be fairly difficult. Most anime would at least be roughly a PG-13 rating or so and likely will have at least mild swears.

2. Can you give any examples of anime you have seen and liked, and that your parents approve of?

1: Not very. She can take a D word or something like that every now and then when there aren't any kids watching with me.

2: Sorry but no, never seen an anime before... well at least that I can remember. I was 5 last time I saw one sooooooooooo... yeah.
Robin Firedrake

Postby minakichan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:06 am

How flexible is your mother on "No language?"

You could always pull the "OK, Mom, just to tell you, in the Japanese version there actually aren't any swear words and these were all put in because R1 companies think it's classy to turn "darnits" into "OH MY ****ING CHEESEBALLS" so if they swear just ignore it" line.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Robin Firedrake » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:35 pm

Aha! Ha ha! Yeah. No, that doesn't work. "Just ignore it" won't get me anywhere... it has to be non existant. She doesn't trust me not to repeat it (Even though I've never sworn before and don't plan to.)
Robin Firedrake

Postby Roz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:11 pm

Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind might be a fun one, sorta the same caliber as Castle In The Sky. They're done by the same director. If you watch them in English it eliminates the swear words.
Roz

Postby S.M.O.G. » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:28 am

Is Dragon ball any good? I know a couple people at church who have recomended it, but I'm reading manga scans online and so far there is quite a bit of the nudity and inapropriate jokes, but is the anime any different? Or is the U.S. release toned down?
S.M.O.G.

Postby MasterDias » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:50 am

We have a review of it.

I think a few scenes were slightly toned down, but for the most part, they didn't really tone down series back then as much as they tend to do today.

Once Dragonball gets more serious and the series title changes to Dragonball Z, the nudity and crude humor basically disappears ( or is, at least, really rare).

MasterDias

Postby S.M.O.G. » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:56 am

How far into the series is that? (as in
Manga chapters, since I'm trying to read some of it before I start the anime).
S.M.O.G.

Postby MasterDias » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:08 pm

Wikipedia is your friend.
Dragonball ran for 16 volumes/194 chapters before it changed into Dragonball Z.

MasterDias

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews