Recipe Trade-offss! Yeyey!!!

Talk about anything in here.

Recipe Trade-offss! Yeyey!!!

Postby NnySacci » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:10 am

To all of you Chefs out there!

I thought we could start a recipe trading thread. I love to experiment with food. If you guys ever saw me in real life, you'd know that! ^_^

There's nothing more awesome than trading recipes! They don't have to be original recipes, maybe a recipe you read in a magazine, tried, and loved it!
If they are original recipes, please so say! So we can praise you! YAAYZZ!!

Here's one for you guys. This something I came up with myself.

Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches! YUMMERZZZ!!!

Things you need to succeed!
French Bread (the wider less crunchy kind)
melted butter
Chopped chicken (breaded or non-breaded)
Spaghetti sauce
Italian herbs (you can experiment here)
and grated Parmesan cheese!

Start to heat up your sauce in a separate sauce pan. While that is heating up, start to cook your chicken.

You have many options for chicken, you can either get your own chicken breasts, pound them out, and cook them. or you can just buy chicken breasts that has already been cooked and stripped, you just have to heat them up. How you prepare chicken is up to you. Whichever way you get your chicken cook it on a skillet on top of your stove.

In the skillet you're preparing your chicken with melt some butter in there (be sure to spread it around!) and throw some minced garlic in there. Throw your chicken in there, and cook all the way through. Be sure and not to over cook, for it will become dry when you bake the sandwiches.

When you chicken is just right, throw it into your sauce, be sure to stir every once and a while. Turn the heat for the sauce on about med-low.

Get your french bread, and cut it to where it's not fully in half, but you kind of have a pouch.

Get a bowl, throw some butter in there, put in the microwave until butter is melted.

Paste the butter on the bottom layer on the inside of the bread. Then, sprinkle just a little bit of Parmesan (or however much you like) and sprinkle your herbs on top of the cheese.

Then, take your chicken and sauce, and put in the bread. Out however much you'd like. Close the pieces together. And paste some butter on top, sprinkle of the herbs, then sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top. Then, bake in the oven at about 325-350 degrees.

Now, I forgot to time it. I would roughly around 5-7 minutes. But, mainly until the cheese is melted and the bread looks crunchy.

There you go! ENJOY!

I hope this thread survives! EPIC WIN!
Imagination[font="Impact"][/font] is just a taste of [SIZE="4"][color="red"]God's[/SIZE][/color] creativity
NnySacci

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:26 pm

Well, your recipe has way too many things I'm not allowed to eat, but I'll contribute my WORLD'S FASTEST PEAR recipe.

One Cooking Pear (I like Comice, but you can almost always find Bosc)(My comments of this nature always apply to U.S.! I have no idea what sort of pears are found in Burundian supermarkets!)
Honey to taste
Ground cinnamon to taste

Peel, halve and core the pear.

* Don't worry about fancy gadgets: a vegetable peeler will work fine (and is safer if you don't know how to use a paring knife.) (Also, if you use a pear with firm skin, you can skip peeling and just scoop the cooked pear out with a spoon while eating.) A melon baller is a great gadget for coring an halved pear or apple.

Coat halves with a light dusting of cinnamon. If you don't like cinnamon, there are a few other spices that can go nicely with pears. I've enjoyed this both with ground clove and ground allspice.

Place core side down on a microwave safe bowl. Don't do this on paper towel or paper plate, because pear juice is going to come out, and you want to save every drop of yummy.

Microwave on high for a couple minutes. How long is going to depend on your microwave and the variety of pear. Comice in my microwave take about three minutes. You're shooting for roughly the consistency of a canned pear half. Nuke it too long and it will start getting tough on the surface, so check often.

Turn over and put a dab of honey in each core hole. Or (if it's peeled) leave upside down and put the dab on top.

Serve. Enjoy. Praise the Almighty for the gift of pears. Repeat.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby minakichan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:44 pm

@EricTheFred: I HAVE TO TRY THIS. Except I have no pears so I'll use a peach, and I have no knives but a butter knife, so I'll probably pass on peeling it, and I don't have any cinnamon so I'll use something I have in my room that IS NOT PEPPER.

BUT YAH.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Song_of_Storms » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:46 pm

I make this recipe for my family all the time. Instant love~ It's really good and very simple. But, I have a large family (six) so I double the recipe. This is the original, so it's the perfect amount. n.n

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup whipping cream

1 pound farfalle (bow-tie pasta)
1/2 cup (packed) chopped fresh basil

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and crushed red pepper. Sauté until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up with back of fork, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is tender and sausage is browned, about 3 minutes longer. Add tomatoes and cream. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sausage mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Return pasta to same pot. Add sausage mixture and toss over medium-low heat until sauce coats pasta, adding reserved cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture is dry. Transfer pasta to serving dish. Sprinkle with basil. Serve, passing cheese separately.
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby Sheenar » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:00 am

I have a ton of recipes (96 to be exact) saved in my email account. Here are three of them:

Thai-style Chicken Skillet

3/4 pound bonless, skinless, chicken breast halves, cut into thin slices
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 package (4.9 oz.) RICE-A-RONI Chicken and Broccoli Flavor
2 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 1/2 cups frozen pea pods
1/2 cup red pepper strips, cut into 2-inch pieces
Peanuts (optional)

1. Toss chicken with soy sauce; set aside. In large skillet over medium heat, saute rice-vermicelli mix according to package directions.

2. Slowly stir in 1 3/4 CUPS WATER, seasonings, peanut butter and garlic. Stir in chicken; bring to a boal. Cover; reduce heat to low. Simmer 12 minutes.

3. Stir in pea pods and bell pepper; return to a simmer. Cover; simmer 3 to 5 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir; let stand 3 minutes. Top with peanuts, if desired.

Serves 4.

Caramel-Filled Brownies

This recipe was taken from Historic Texas: A Restaurant Guide and Cookbook. It was featured in the November 2004 issue of Texas Monthly

1 1/2 cups pecan halves
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 package (14 ounces) individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange pecans on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast until a rich brown, 7 to 9 minutes. Coarsely chop nuts and set aside. Line bottom and sides of a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving several inches hanging over short ends of pan. Grease foil with butter or cooking spray; be sure to coat sides thoroughly or caramel will stick.

Put butter and chocolate in a medium-sized heavy saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. (Watch carefully so it does not burn.) Transfer chocolate to a large bowl, add sugar, eggs, and vanilla, and mix until thick and glossy. (This takes 1 to 2 minutes using a wire whisk or about 1 minute using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium-high speed.) Whisk or stir in flour and salt. Transfer half of batter (about 2 1/2 cups) to baking pan and spread evenly; bake for 20 minutes. Let cool for about 20 minutes.

Put caramels and cream in a medium-sized heavy saucepan and stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in half of pecans. Immediately spread caramel mixture over baked brownies (if you let it sit, it will harden). Pour remaining brownie batter evenly over caramel mixture and spread gently to cover (do not pour either the caramel or the brownie batter all in one place or it will be difficult to spread without messing up the layers). Sprinkle chocolate chips and remaining pecans on top and bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely in pan (for quicker cooling, put pan in the freezer for 30 minutes).

To remove from pan, grasp overhanging foil and lift up. Cut brownies into squares. Individually wrapped in plastic, they will keep for 1 week unrefrigerated or for 1 month in the freezer. Makes 2 dozen bars.

Casa Ole Green Sauce (Casa Ole is a restaurant chain in my area --they have AMAZING green sauce!)
Ingredients:
• 4 Avocados
• 1 (16 oz.) container Sour Cream
• 1 can Rotel tomatoes
• 1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
• 1 (4 oz.) can Green Chili Peppers
• 2 tsp. Salt
• 1 tsp. Lemon juice
• 3 oz. Cream Cheese
Preparation Instructions:
Mix and blend all ingredients until smooth.

Here is another one…
4 ripe avocados
1 tsp lemon juice
1 8oz container sour cream
1 3oz Philadelphia cream cheese
1 small can diced green chili's
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1 tsp garlic powder

Optional: green food coloring

Hope you guys enjoy!
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:46 am

I got this fantastic recipe for an Asian-style coleslaw from AllRecipes, so I'll share my modified version with you guys. It's easy to make and tastes AWESOME.

1 bag broccoli slaw
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons honey

Put the slaw in a large bowl. Whisk together the mayo, vinegar, sesame oil and honey until smooth. Drizzle over the slaw and toss well, then chill for about an hour (if desired).

The original calls for you to cut up your own cabbage and carrots and stuff, but what I do is buy one of those little bags of pre-cut slaw. You can get the traditional kind with cabbage too, but I think the broccoli slaw is much better for this. You could also use that dressing on a salad if you don't like slaw. :3

The recipe also calls for black sesame seeds, but those are uncommon in the stores here so I didn't bother. You can use the regular kind, but they do kind of blend in with the dish a little too much. I personally just toasted some sliced almonds and put those on top just before serving it. However, I don't recommend tossing them in from the beginning; they kinda lose their crunchiness after soaking in the dressing. Also, I tossed in some dried cranberries and that was really good too!

Sorry for blathering on so much. XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Kunoichi » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:39 am

Can anyone PM me a recipe for Banana Foster? Something easy lol Thanks ^_^
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:05 pm

I know a tasty recipie for Beer Battered Crag Boar ribs. Just bring me Five Crag Boar ribs and 5 Rhapsody Malts and I'll teach you!
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:15 pm

Today's contribution: WORLD'S FASTEST MISO SOUP.

Actually, you could do it slightly faster using dashi powder (a sort of Japanese instant bouillion) but I can't have either MSG or seaweed, and pretty much every dashi powder under the sun has MSG and/or seaweed in it.

Required ingredients:

Two cups of water

A generous handful of bonito flakes (katsuobushi) - bought in bags from Asian grocery.

1 to 2 TBSP Miso paste. Shiromiso or 'White miso' gives the typical restaurant style. Red or Black miso give heartier helpings. - you can sometimes find shiromiso in regular groceries now.

Optional ingredients. See below.

Procedure. In a microwave safe bowl (I use my 1 quart corningware measuring cup, actually) put water and katsuobushi. Nuke three minutes on high.

Pour a small amount through a strainer into your serving bowl. Put miso paste into bowl and mix until it dissolves. This will take less time if you keep the amount of broth less than the amount of miso.

Once dissolved, pour rest of broth through strainer. Dispose of used bonito flakes. THEY WILL MAKE YOUR DISPOSAL OR YOUR COMPOST PILE SMELL LIKE A FISH. Throw them in the garbage.

Now, the extras:
There are many optional items that can be tossed into the miso. Almost always, these are things you add after it has cooked. Take it easy though! Too many extras spoil the flavor. Here are the most often used:

Soy sauce - Restaurants use 'white' soy sauce, which is hard to find. I use Tamari Wheat-free, because pretty much everything else on the market has wheat in it . Use a very small amount (~1 tsp.)

Tofu - I can't have this, but little cubes of tofu are a very common add.
Wakame - a kind of seaweed. Also from Asian grocery. I can't have this either.
Negi - Slice very thin. The real Negi is bigger than our green onions, but the taste is similar. If you can't find Negi, regular green onions are fine.
Mushroom - fully cooked, sliced thin. Shiitake are best, but standard white mushrooms are fine.

I usually just have negi in mine.

Takes me a max of five minutes to have my miso ready for breakfast. Enjoy.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Song_of_Storms » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:13 pm

Carmel filled Brownies? Where have you BEEN all my life?!

Sounds yummers.
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby EricTheFred » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:47 pm

An easy one, today. At any good supermarket in the US, one can find completely acceptable battered shrimp, battered fish fillets, fish sticks, cooked shrimp for shrimp cocktails, even battered calamari... but for some reason every store-bought cocktail sauce I ever found just sucks. So, here's my favorite home-made cocktail sauce. Try this on your fish sticks some time soon!

The first ingredient is a tough one to find, the way I really make it (1 1/2 cups Italian Tomato Puree) but it's an ingredient I always have around since I'm a nut about Italian cooking. So, I've inserted a completely acceptable alternative using two more-commonly-available US ingredients, tomato sauce and tomato paste (this is my standard substitute when I run out of the high-falutin' imported stuff.) (To my British friends: what you call 'tomato puree' isn't puree, it's tomato paste, i.e. boiled down tomato juice. Real puree is called something else in your supermarkets, and has a much more liquid consistency.)

COCKTAIL SAUCE
8-oz can Tomato Sauce
6-oz can Tomato Paste
Between 1 tsp and 1 Tbsp prepared wasabi (1 Tbsp = VERY HOT)
1/2 Tbsp olive oil or cooking oil.
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Old Bay

If you don't have Old Bay in your cupboard, throw in some black pepper instead.
If you can't find prepared wasabi, then use prepared horseradish. It's more traditional anyhow, but I'm a wasabi freak. Prepared horseradish is a little less hot, typically, so to get the same heat, you'll need to adjust upward a bit. Maybe 1/2 Tbsp for mild.

Blend thoroughly. You now have cocktail sauce, better than the best on the supermarket shelf.

EricTheFred

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:59 pm

I've been getting recipes out of "Addicted to Curry" and I want to try some, but my parents aren't too eager about the idea... I really wanted to make Pumkin Curry (since pumkin is in season) and Curry ramen, and bring them to Japanese fellowship, so I'd actually have something to share with them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby sharien chan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:38 am

Amazing enchiladas though not spicy since I can't do spice.

Brown 2lbs of meat and an onion in a pan....then you have to fry tortillas (12 of them). I'm not sure what this means exactly so I just put them in oil in a frying pan until they crisp a little.

Then you put the meat and some cheese in each one and roll them up. Once you put them all in a pan then you pour enchilada sauce on top and more cheese, and then put them in the oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes. They're amazing! stole the recipe from allrecipes.com
sharien chan

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Hmmm, I don't think getting it from allrecipes.com qualifies as 'stealing'. You'll have to work harder than that to get into the Culinary Thieves Guild, my friend!

And, yea, crisping the tortillas up a little (staying under the point where they harden) in a fry pan is exactly what they mean. It's pretty much a required step in at least 1/3 of the Mexican recipes I've ever encountered.

I recommend adding a touch of ground cumin to the ground beef to complete that 'taco meat' flavor (and maybe a bit of ground chile for those who want some spice.)

Now here's a challenge for the board: someone gimme an authentic Mexican enchilada sauce recipe!

Bobtheduck (post: 1262602) wrote:I've been getting recipes out of "Addicted to Curry" and I want to try some, but my parents aren't too eager about the idea... I really wanted to make Pumkin Curry (since pumkin is in season) and Curry ramen, and bring them to Japanese fellowship, so I'd actually have something to share with them.

Mmm.... Curry....

EricTheFred

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:13 am

Hey everyone, I thought of sharing recipes and since I found this thread I decided to use it instead of starting a new one. I have only been learning to cook recently, but am finding it quite interesting.

The other day I made a simple fried rice dish, the flavour wasn't that great (was told it was a bit bland), but I think with more practice I'll get better.

So here's the recipe I used:

Shrimp Fried Rice

Ingredients:
- Leftover rice (overnight). If you do not have leftover rice you can make some on the spot, however you must cook the rice before you stir them in the wok, since cooking the rice directly in the wok will make them really hard (and that doesn't taste very good).
- Cooking oil
- Asparagus (6 - 7)
- Green onion (shallot) x 2
- 1 egg for every cup of rice (e.g. 2 eggs for 2 cups of rice)
- Shrimps (small prawns, 1.5 inches in length approx., around 20 pieces)

Preparation:
1. First take out the leftover rice from the fridge.
2. Beat the eggs.
Note: You don't have to use an equal ratio of eggs to rice. I only used 3 eggs with 4 bowls of rice.
3. Chop the bunch of arapagus into fine pieces. Place in small bowl.
4. Slice green onions finely. Place in small bowl.
5. For shrimps:

You may wish to clean the shrimps first. To do so, remove any shell from them (either by hand or with a small knife). Then take a small knife and run the blade along each shrimp's "spine" so the flesh splits open slightly. Now clean the part of the flesh that is exposed (usually there will be some dark coloured gunk you can remove).

Note: If you only have large shrimps you can cut them into small pieces around 1 inch each piece, as this makes them easier to cook.

Cooking:
1. Add cooking oil to the wok. The amount depends on how much rice you are using.
2. Pour beaten eggs in wok and use spatula to stir it around until they become like small pancakes. Keep stirring them so they do not get stuck to the wok.
3. Add the shrimps. Mix eggs and shrimps well. Make sure shrimps are cooked.
4. Add asparagus. Mix everything well.
5. Add the rice in. Stir and mix everything well.
6. Add fish sauce. If you do not have fish sauce you can use soy sauce. The amount depends on how much rice you are using.
7. Add a dash of salt (optional).
8. Add green onions. Stir and mix everything.

Note: If at any point you find that the ingredients are getting stuck to the wok faster than you can stir them around, take a small bowl, fill it with some water, and pour into the wok. This will help you stir the ingredients again, however do not add too much water (only half a bowl at most at any time), otherwise the rice will get soggy and won't retain a good texture.

I think with practice you will find it's very quick and easy to make this dish (cooking the rice will probably take the longest, even with a rice cooker). Anyway, I hope this recipe interests you. :)
Sammy Boy

Return to General