Need a mechanic

Talk about anything in here.

Need a mechanic

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:35 pm

Ok, we have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe LT (4 door and 4 wheel drive auto transfer case). We've had brake work done- replaced pads and master cylinder and emergency brake lines, had new seals put on the transfer case and transmission, replaced the lower steering arm and CV joint and had it aligned (Normally 4WDs don't need such things, but it did because of the steering arm) and had the fuel sending unit replaced. This was all done last summer

Just yesterday, we drove about town and everything was fine. We tried starting it up today and it won't start. When you turn the key, the sites will come on but the windows won't roll down. There's a single "click" noise in the engine compartment. That's the only noise we get out of the thing, except for the fuel pump. Also, when I have the key turned all the way, I can shift gears and turn the key both ways.

Anyway, my brother said that this happened a few days ago, but he tried starting it a few times and then it started right up.

Prior to all this, we've never had a problem starting the vehicle. One turn and it came right to life.

Help?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Esoteric » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:23 pm

I'm not a mechanic, but it sounds like an electrical problem. Could be a bad ignition coil, distributor, loose wire or any number of things. But the fact that you don't even hear the engine 'turn over' when you turn the key suggests that the ignition system is a good place to start your investigation.
Good luck.
Esoteric

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:02 pm

Also, check your battery. It could very likely be a low battery. Do you have another, properly functioning vehicle and some jumper cables? If you can successfully jump-start the Tahoe, it would seem to me to be a battery problem.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:23 pm

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1283170) wrote:Also, check your battery. It could very likely be a low battery. Do you have another, properly functioning vehicle and some jumper cables? If you can successfully jump-start the Tahoe, it would seem to me to be a battery problem.

.rai//

this is what I was thinking too... batteries sometimes need to be changed ever 4-5 years, so i've heard...and the click is a standard clue. ^^;

Also check the alternator...sometimes this can go out.

maybe you left the accessory light on or something xD

have you tried jumping it?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:02 pm

I don't believe it to be the battery. All the light come one, head lights, and nothing ever dims. Radio comes one, fuel pump hums, etc.

It just won't crank/even try to turn over.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:20 pm

If my memory of my own experiences serves, this can happen with a low battery. You just don't have enough "juice" to make the engine turn over. Other things may run, but not the engine. I'd still try jumping it when you have the time. At worst, you will eliminate a possible cause and be a step closer to your solution.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby Warrior4Christ » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:54 am

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1283188) wrote:If my memory of my own experiences serves, this can happen with a low battery. You just don't have enough "juice" to make the engine turn over. Other things may run, but not the engine. I'd still try jumping it when you have the time. At worst, you will eliminate a possible cause and be a step closer to your solution.

.rai//

When mine is flat, it doesn't even try turning over - it just goes click. And the stereo/lights/whatever can still appear to work fine. When it's not flat, it starts fine - it's never halfway attempting to turn over.

So it could be the battery. Or it might not be. But it's the easiest thing to start with.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:07 am

Warrior4Christ (post: 1283226) wrote:When mine is flat, it doesn't even try turning over - it just goes click. And the stereo/lights/whatever can still appear to work fine. When it's not flat, it starts fine - it's never halfway attempting to turn over.

So it could be the battery. Or it might not be. But it's the easiest thing to start with.

Precisely.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby Esoteric » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:30 am

If my memory of my own experiences serves, this can happen with a low battery. You just don't have enough "juice" to make the engine turn over. Other things may run, but not the engine. I'd still try jumping it when you have the time. At worst, you will eliminate a possible cause and be a step closer to your solution.

Yes, and on that note, if you try a new battery and it dies quickly too, then the problem is likely your alternator. The alternator is responsible for recharging your battery while your drive. If it doesn't, your battery will die fast (even though it's still a good battery).
Esoteric

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:59 am

It just seems odd that the battery would go out like that. One reason I think that it's not that battery is that the same thing happened a few days ago, only it started after a few tries. And everything but the windows work.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:44 am

lol, battery cables weren't making contact. Need a lock washer :B
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Ingemar » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:41 pm

It's also possible that there's a ground in your car's wiring. That can drain the battery even if the alternator is fine.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Nope, nothing drained from the battery.

Loose cable was all the problem, lol
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:45 pm

Ingemar (post: 1283399) wrote:It's also possible that there's a ground in your car's wiring. That can drain the battery even if the alternator is fine.

Wouldn't that create pretty sparks?
Where would be a high impedence (unwanted) ground connection?
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby ich1990 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:58 pm

I am glad you got it fixed.

In about 90% percent of all vehicles I have worked on, that "click" noise when you turn the key means that the battery isn't getting a good enough connection. To fix that, try cleaning or scraping the battery terminals (they are usually made out of lead, and therefore corrode easily). If you can't do that, try wiggling the wires coming out of the battery.

Just something to keep as a reference for the future. I have "fixed" several vehicles and my dad has "fixed" many more by simply cleaning battery terminals.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Return to General