Pharmaceutical Sales Rep

Talk about anything in here.

Pharmaceutical Sales Rep

Postby Destroyer2000 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Does anyone know anything about this? It is a very promising prospect for a job, it seems. I'm considering going into it. I'm having trouble deciding on what to declare my major as, so I've looked at a lot of different things.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Ingemar » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:51 pm

Generally Sales is a daunting job unless you 1). really know the stuff you're selling and 2). are a "good people person." If you lack one you will utterly fail at your job, even if you're excellent at the other.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:08 pm

Most of the time, Ingy is correct. If, however, you are selling to people who know LESS than you, it doesn't always matter how well you know your product.

But, yeah. Sales is an OK career path if you are good with people. In the case of Pharmaceuticals, you'll be selling to doctors, so you BETTER know your medicines! :D You might consider lurking in a forum for people in that field - it might give you a better picture what the field is like.

HIH!
Mithrandir

Postby Ingemar » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1280018) wrote:HIH!
He seems to be convulsing. You had better give him that medicine, fast!
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:04 am

You just have to do it like this guy:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=pRsE1OEtcuM
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Destroyer2000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:59 am

Well, I was reading something about it online, and it says it is 'intense, with a high tunrover rate'a nd takes a lot of time. It also says i makes it harder on your family life if you want to have one of those. However, my English teacher has a daughter that is in the sales rep, and she travels a lot, and makes like 80-90K per year, and doesn't seem to have any strain on her family life.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby RobinSena » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:18 am

Destroyer2000 (post: 1280084) wrote:Well, I was reading something about it online, and it says it is 'intense, with a high tunrover rate'a nd takes a lot of time. It also says i makes it harder on your family life if you want to have one of those. However, my English teacher has a daughter that is in the sales rep, and she travels a lot, and makes like 80-90K per year, and doesn't seem to have any strain on her family life.

Not to be a pain, but the fact that it doesn't seem like there's strain to you, doesn't mean much. People are incredibly good at keeping that type of thing private.
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:29 am

About Pharmaceutical Sales Representative from the Princeton review

Pharmaceutical Sales FAQ

Now it does sound a good job, but keep in mind that you may have to travel a lot. That is something that can be very hard on having a family life as if you have someone in your life before this starts.

These kind of fields as jobs that you have to do a lot of traveling have been better for people that want a single life. When it comes down to it, that person has to think about what they want more.

I don't know many in this field, but I know other people that have jobs that have the same kind of work load and have to travel a lot, and most of them don't have a family life or if they do have one, its not an easy one, since they are not home all the time.

This just something that you have to really look at, before you want to get into it and find out its not for you.

I did that error in college for my first major and took about three years of my time to find out that this was not what I wanted to do in life.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Destroyer2000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:07 pm

I've read the Princeton review before; but I've never seen the other. Thanks. I like the way this looks, but I don't like the problems posed with family life; that is one thing I don't want to throw out. So...yeah, that could pose a problem.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

Destroyer2000

Postby Esoteric » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:23 pm

Why pharmaceutical exactly? There are sales reps in all industries. Is it just that they get paid more on average? But for any sales rep, yeah, you've got to be a serious people person. An A-type personality. A go-getter. If you are, then maybe it's for you.

And if you want to get into anything truly pharmaceutical, you'd best love chemistry.
Esoteric

Postby Destroyer2000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Well, pharmaceutical is a good job; even with the flailing economy, people will still need medicine, so it is a rather secure field. And I'm a good people person.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

Destroyer2000

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:01 pm

Beyond that, it's a field that's likely to see some significant growth. There's more general interest in health care these days.
Mithrandir

Postby Destroyer2000 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:53 pm

Yup. Thanks guys, for all the support and advice. Some things have happened that make me wonder if perhaps the Lord is leading me in this direction, but I'm not sure yet, so I suppose time will tell. I'm working on His schedule, anyway :) Thanks.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

Destroyer2000

Return to General