It's annoying when people don't think.

Talk about anything in here.

Postby animechica » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:44 am

Cognitive Gear (post: 1275486) wrote:.....

It makes a sound like "pocky" when you eat it?.....

I'm going to have to pay better attention to the sound the next time I eat it. I could have sworn it was a "crunch" like many other foods. XD

Yeah, you know what else is weird?

All those dramatic times in my life and I've never heard a single DON or ZAA or SHIIIN!
And my cat doesn't say "nyan"! I think she's broken! :O
animechica

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:44 am

Cognitive Gear (post: 1275486) wrote:.....

It does in Japanese! XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:57 pm

Lawlawlawl, this thread makes me laugh XDD

I totally get what you mean, though u_u

Others who try to push their believes onto others... FTL u_u
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby animewarrior » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:07 pm

wow... that is all I have to say... XDDDD
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby minakichan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:14 pm

It only works if your mouth is Japanese.

And my cat doesn't say "nyan"! I think she's broken! :O

It's because she's not Japanese.

When Eastern Eurasians are exposed to a certain combination of sunlight, moonlight, and atmospheric conditions based on their position on the Earth, their entire bodies are gradually transformed to become magically onomatopoeic.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Lilac#18 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:13 pm

I heard by others that Wikipedia isn't that reliable because anybody can edit what is written. (there's the word edit in the upper or lower corner.) I can't remember where the edit word is and the page won't display when I try to go there, but I know most resources on that site is reliable.
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby minakichan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:02 pm

Because my inner media studies major rages like a maniac when people diss Wikipedia, I shall now launch my righteous wall of text that no one will read:

The first systematic study of the quality of Wikipedia articles was published as this book was going to press. The journal Nature compared 42 science articles from Wikipedia to the gold standard of the Encyclopedia Britannica, and concluded that “the difference in accuracy was not particularly great.” On November 15, 2004, Robert McHenry, a former editor in chief of the Encyclopedia Britannica, published an article criticizing Wikipedia as “The Faith-Based Encyclopedia.” As an example, McHenry mocked the Wikipedia article on Alexander Hamilton. He noted that Hamilton biographers have a problem fixing his birth year—whether it is1755or1757. Wikipedia glossed over this error, fixing the date at 1755. McHenry then went on to criticize the way the dates were treated throughout the article, using it as an anchor to his general claim: Wikipedia is unreliable because it is not professionally produced. What McHenry did not note was that the other major online encyclopedias like Columbia or Encarta—similarly failed to deal with the ambiguity surrounding Hamilton’s birth date. Only the
Britannica did. However, McHenry’s critique triggered the Wikipedia distributed correction mechanism. Within hours of the publication of McHenry’s Web article, the reference was corrected. The following few days saw intensive cleanup efforts to conform all references in the biography to the newly corrected version. Within a week or so, Wikipedia had a correct, reasonably clean version. It now stood alone with the Encyclopedia Britannica as a source of accurate basic encyclopedic information. Incoming to curse it, McHenry found himself blessing Wikipedia.
Perhaps the most interesting characteristic about Wikipedia is the self-conscious social-norms-based dedication to objective writing. Unlike some of the other projects that I describe in this chapter, Wikipedia does not
include elaborate software-controlled access and editing capabilities. It is generally open for anyone to edit the materials, delete another’s change, debate the desirable contents, survey archives for prior changes, and so forth. It depends on self-conscious use of open discourse, usually aimed at consensus. While there is the possibility that a user will call for a vote of the participants on any given definition, such calls can, and usually are, ignored by the community unless a sufficiently large number of users have decided that
debate has been exhausted. While the system operators and server host—
Wales—have the practical power to block users who are systematically disruptive, this power seems to be used rarely. The project relies instead on social norms to secure the dedication of project participants to objective
writing. So, while not entirely anarchic, the project is nonetheless substantially more social, human, and intensively discourse- and trust-based than the other major projects described here.

-Yochai Benkler, Wealth of Networks chapter 3, copypasta'd and unspaced from my homework reading
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby heero yuy 95 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:59 pm

Lol, reminds me of the time some guy at my friend's work who knew next to nothing about cars told me how one little thing would add a lot of power.

*sigh* sometimes it's just not worth it. If you're right then you're right, and best left at that.

Btw, where did ramen originally come from?
'listen to me, Grel, these constant failures have been causing me to lose face, and if you keep it up i shan't spare yours!" -Khyron the Destroyer

"why throw away your life so recklessly!"
"that's a question you should be asking yourself, megatron."
-transformers the movie

http://starfoxman.deviantart.com/

^ My Manga!!! Check it out!
heero yuy 95

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:21 pm

heero yuy 95 wrote:Btw, where did ramen originally come from?

It came from China and then introduced in Japan at an unknown time.

It is believed that remen wasn't a hit in Japan untill the Meiji period.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang
[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby GeneD » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:31 am

I've been eating a confectionery consisting of "a biscuit stick coated with chocolate" (from the most unreliable wikipedia) for years before I ever heard of "pocky". Therefore it originated in South Africa and is actually our biggest export. So you see you are all wrong. :P
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby White Raven » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:54 am

I know how this is! My niece (Stella) who is one year older than me, does this to me all the time. Only she does it about event’s that happened in our lives.

Sometimes our conversations go something like this.

Me: Yeah I remember lots of stuff from when I was just little.
Her: I know, oh do you remember when your dad did an exorcism on your sister?
Me: What? Ah, No, Stella, I don’t think that happened.
Her: Oh yes it did I remember!
Me: My dad wouldn’t do something crazy like that.
Her: Well maybe you weren’t there.
Me: Even if I wasn’t my dad wouldn’t do something like that. What reason would he have to anyway?

At this point things go down hill and I usually change the subject to save my sanity. Needless to say my sister has no clue what Stella is talking about.
formerly known as ILoveArt

My Deviant Art

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

Postby Sheol777 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:05 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1274774) wrote:I hate this whole "wikipedia is not reliable" diatribe everyone jumps on to. It's "not reliable" as in it is not a canonized recognized academic resource, not "not reliable" as in dodgy bloke in trench coat who sells watches. Considering it's strict need for resourcing it's pretty danged reliable for casual information consumption.

It is now popular to say this...I blame the internets... just like it is popular to say:

Akira sucks
Evangelion sucks
"I know about [insert subject] because I work for [insert company]"
Squeee! I like cute things! LOL

etc., etc.

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1274782) wrote:Japan and Korea always copy off each other.

But Pocky is actually from Portugal. I know this because I am Korean.

Good form.
Pascal (post: 1275303) wrote:...If Pocky was a word that originated domestically (as would be expected if the product originated domestically from Japan) then the word should be spelt in Hirigana....

Am I the only one who sees the irony where someone tries to school me on Japanese grammar and uses the word "spelt"?
Sapphi (post: 1275503) wrote:And my cat doesn't say "nyan"! I think she's broken! :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8MYiIojvlQ
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:44 pm

minakichan (post: 1275560) wrote:When Eastern Eurasians are exposed to a certain combination of sunlight, moonlight, and atmospheric conditions based on their position on the Earth, their entire bodies are gradually transformed to become magically onomatopoeic.

You win. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby F.M Disciple » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:48 pm

No Kidding. LOL
F.M Disciple

Postby heero yuy 95 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:56 pm

Ah, from china, I see. I was thinking it was from japan, then I just remembered it's the cheap 15 cent brand that's from Japan. The founder died recently, but as a broke-as-a-joke college kid, I appreciate his contribution.
'listen to me, Grel, these constant failures have been causing me to lose face, and if you keep it up i shan't spare yours!" -Khyron the Destroyer

"why throw away your life so recklessly!"
"that's a question you should be asking yourself, megatron."
-transformers the movie

http://starfoxman.deviantart.com/

^ My Manga!!! Check it out!
heero yuy 95

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Sheol777 (post: 1278849) wrote:Am I the only one who sees the irony where someone tries to school me on Japanese grammar and uses the word "spelt"?

He who spelt it dealt it.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby m12specops » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:07 pm

yeah my friends are sometimes like that too... they always make statements that they believe are true with no evidence to back it up, and I can't convince them otherwise, so after a while I just stop arguing with them.
m12specops

Previous

Return to General