What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Danderson » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:37 pm

Just finished Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insders on Faith, Film, and Culture...

As both a believer and a filmmaker it really convicted me about things I didn't think I'd ever feel convicted about...
Would recommend to anyone interested in filmmaking, hollywood, or movies in general, as it gives the perspective of Christians working in the industry, revealing how it works and why when we as Christians "war" against hollowood we are only pushing ourselves farther away from them instead of showing them the true light of Jesus.....

...Honestly, it finally makes sense why hollywood often portrays their Christian Characters as either complete lunatics or mad men who are always angry all the time....
Danderson

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:38 pm

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore

Finally managed to acquire and read the original graphic novel. An enjoyable read overall, though fascism doesn't have the same relevance today that it did at the time of writing. I found V's apparently limitless personal resources curious, but otherwise it did a good job of making the complete collapse of a government seem realistic. Furthermore, the philosophy of anarchy having creation/destruction sides of a coin was a development I did not necessarily expect and significantly changes V's character.
uc pseudonym

Postby Maledicte » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:24 pm

*just read ich's review on Sinner* Aww. I was hoping that it would be good. Oh well, at least Black is in it.

Currently reading the Poetic Edda for class, concurrently reading The Vampire Shrink and Oscar Wilde and a Game Called Murder for fun. I'm really enjoying both; both books have fun and quirky antagonists. Yes, Oscar Wilde solves mysteries. How fun.
Maledicte

Postby ich1990 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:39 pm

Just Read:

The Hole by Guy Burt

This is an intelligent book disguising itself as a mediocre one. Unfortunately, it disguises itself so well, that you are forced to read through many chapters of the mediocre to get to the good part. In fact, if I didn't know ahead of time that this book had a redeeming ending, I wouldn't have been able to stomach the bland first part of the book.

Unfortunately, any literary merit this book does have is drowned out by the near constant heavy swearing and the sexual situations. This book isn't worth reading. Quality: 7/10. My enjoyment 4/10.

The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller

As a child I read, oh, three comics. As an attempt to fill in this gaping hole in my education, I picked up this 5 issue book from the store. In this series, Batman is just as messed up and psychotic as the bad guys are. He snaps limbs, shoots people, breaks necks, slices arteries with shards of glass, and pretty much gives the bad guys a hard time. He still keeps his pledge to not kill anybody, but, frankly (haha) I am not sure why. Batman is a destructive madman who uses the word justice as a synonym for vengeance, and he looks darn cool while doing it.

With Christopher Nolan putting out batman films featuring the “honest, tragic hero”, this was a bucket of cold water in the face. Nolan's batman is easy to sympathize with. His actions are easy to justify. You can cheer for batman while feeling morally justified in doing so. Miller's batman on the other hand, brings up all sorts of moral and ethical quandaries. You find yourself rooting for batman, then asking what makes him different than all the rest of the criminal population.

This is a dark, violent (but not gory), disturbingly philosophical work that reminds me of Nolan's “The Dark Knight”. If you liked that movie, you will probably like this comic. One minor caveat: the last two issues in the series are slightly confusing and fast paced. I had to re-read parts to get the whole picture. Also, the art occasionally comes off as goofy when it is trying to be serious. On a whole it is an excellent comic. 9/10
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Maledicte » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:34 pm

Ich, do not read the sequel! I repeat, DO NOT READ THE SEQUEL! Or anything Miller has to do with Batman for that matter.
Maledicte

Postby ich1990 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:05 am

SirThinks2Much (post: 1272153) wrote:Ich, do not read the sequel! I repeat, DO NOT READ THE SEQUEL! Or anything Miller has to do with Batman for that matter.

Ok. Care to elaborate?
ich1990

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:09 pm

I'm currently working on re-reading Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense by N.T. Wright.
GhostontheNet

Postby Maledicte » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:56 pm

ich1990 (post: 1272176) wrote:Ok. Care to elaborate?

Everyone acts completely out of character in regards to the previous book and the entire comics continuum. (I'm sorry, but...Robin!?) The whole thing is just silly and lackluster at best. His "Batman: Year One" is also lame, and his "Selina Kyle Was Originally A Prostitute" swipe at the character has largely been swept under the rug by comic writers. In fact, Miller seems to like turning all his female characters into prostitutes. What happened to the spunky Robin from TDKR, I don't know.

And his "All-Star Batman and Robin" series is notable only for the phrase "I'm the g--d---- Batman", but is otherwise mostly a joke. Only one issue comes out a year anyway, so you're not missing much.

Oh, I read all the Marsuvees Black parts from Sinner. If only Dekker could come up with more interesting protagonists.
Maledicte

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:30 am

I read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury not too long ago. Awesome book, incredible writing. It made me want to buy it and read it again ten thousand times just so Bradbury's amazing writing would hopefully osmose over into me. The descriptions, the similes...wow.

Now I'm reading Drowned Wednesday by Garth Nix. An easy, yet exciting read, as are all of his Keys to the Kingdom books. It's nice to read a Garth Nix book in between weightier tomes, just as a break.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:54 pm

Reading The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum. There are a few scenes I'm not particular happy about, but I'm liking it so far.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ich1990 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:59 pm

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

My first Gaiman book. I had heard many great things about this author, and, on a recent trip to the library, decided that it was high time to verify this cyber-gossip. The first thing that stuck out to me in this story was the juxtaposition of comedic one liners and serious plot . It is a little unsettling to have a pair of assassins attacking one minute and then have the protagonists cracking jokes the next. In this aspect, it reminds me of FullMetal Alchemist.

Speaking of assassins, the book has the best pair of villains that I have ever come across. Whenever they popped up in the story, I ceased caring about the plot, other characters, etc. They embodied everything that I have ever admired in an insane antagonist. This was a great boon considering how character driven the book is. The plot is unoriginal, there is little fighting, and less character development. The emphasis is squarely on the caricature-like characters and the unique locale and, for the most part, it works.

Aside from the unsettling intermingle of light-heartedness and dark fantasy, the content was the biggest enjoyment detractor for me. Not so much because the “bad content” was gratuitous, (there were a handful of “F” words and some sexual dialog) but because it didn't fit with the rest of the book. I got the feeling that it was placed in as a half-hearted attempt to make the book seem more “mature”.

“Neverwhere” has a few hiccups and is interesting, if not deep. My disposition towards Gaiman remains undecided at this point. 7/10 (or, if you have a special appreciation for insanity, 8/10).

SirThinks2Much (post: 1272648) wrote:Everyone acts completely out of character in regards to the previous book and the entire comics continuum.....
And his "All-Star Batman and Robin" series is notable only for the phrase "I'm the g--d---- Batman", but is otherwise mostly a joke. Only one issue comes out a year anyway, so you're not missing much.

Thanks for the heads up. It is unfortunate to hear that his other Batman works are not at the same level as "TDKR".

SirThinks2Much wrote:Oh, I read all the Marsuvees Black parts from Sinner. If only Dekker could come up with more interesting protagonists.

Agreed. His bad guys are not deep, but they are quite interesting. His protagonists are generally neither.

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1272741) wrote:I read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury not too long ago. Awesome book, incredible writing. It made me want to buy it and read it again ten thousand times just so Bradbury's amazing writing would hopefully osmose over into me. The descriptions, the similes...wow.

You have made up my mind. I will definitely read this book instead of "Animal Farm" when I get around to reading another Dystopian novel.
ich1990

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:24 pm

I am now on the next Discworld book, Men at Arms. Fifteen consectutive Discworld novels back to back (alongside other books) for a year straight. You'd think I'd be bored of them. I'm not.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Technomancer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:18 am

TMS3206713 Floating Point Digital Signal Processor Manual

TMS320DM646x DMSoC Multichannel Serial Audio Port User's Guide

:drool:
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby animeantics » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:26 pm

How To Steal A Dog-Barbara O'Connor.]

Just got done with "Starting With Alice"-Phyllis Reynolds Naylor.
animeantics

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:17 pm

"The Real Frank Zappa" by Frank Zappa
This book.......so far, is about the funniest thing I've ever read.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:32 pm

Sport, Men, and the Gender Order: Critical Feminist Perspectives (edited by Michael Messner and Donald Sabo)
Against the Tide: Pro-Feminist Men in the United States (edited by Michael Kimmel and Thomas Mosmiller)

Finishing up a research project. I entered with only a mild amount of interest, but I have actually become involved in this thanks to the fact that Billy Sunday is completely insane.
uc pseudonym

Postby ich1990 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:57 pm

Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky and Translated by Richard Pevear

I chose to read this books for several reasons. First, it is the shortest Dostoevsky book that I could find. Second, it has been highly recommended both here and elsewhere. Third, the cover art. Fourth, the opening sentences, which read “I am a sick man. . . a wicked man. An unattractive man. I think my liver hurts.”

At first, my greatest fear was that it would be difficult to read. Russian books have a certain notoriety for being incredibly dense. Thankfully this was not the case, at least with the translation I chose. In fact, if I did not know any better I would have guessed the book had been originally written in English, albeit very clear and poignant English. Pevear's translation is highly recommended.

I found the book to be very well written. The insanity was easily apparent. It was not the prototypical “crazy” insanity, however. It is instead the “unbalanced” form of insanity. The difference being that the latter is very easy to relate to. The narrator is, in fact, not unlike myself. If I had not found Christianity to anchor myself around, it would have been very easy to unbalance myself and become like the unnamed narrator, with my own wretchedness and self hatred leading me to do the ever more despicable. Obviously not everyone will identify with (or even enjoy) this atypical book, but those who do will find it genius. 10/10
ich1990

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:34 pm

Yes, Notes from the Underground is a great book. 9/10
I'm still reading Stephen King's IT (it's very long).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:44 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Yes, Notes from the Underground is a great book. 9/10
I'm still reading Stephen King's IT (it's very long).

I tried reading It. But every time I picked that book up I saw how much farther I had to go and I finally just stopped reading.

At the moment though, Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I'd like to read Great Expectations sometime in the future.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:31 pm

[color="DarkOrchid"]At work, I'm currently reading Animorphs: Megamorphs 2: In the Time of Dinosaurs, but I'll be done that tomorrow hopefully, so I've got two more Animorphs books waiting in the drawer. At home, I'm going to be starting The Black Jewels trilogy that my friend Kelly reccommended. [/color]

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby Sae-chan » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:18 pm

I just finished Brisingr, which was, to my surprise, better than the previous two books of the series. I think Christopher Paolini's writing has definitely improved, and the plot is much better. :) That was a good book.

The other book I finished reading was Saint, by Ted Dekker. Not sure if you've heard of it, but Ted Dekker's books are very good. I've read Blink, Thr3e, and Saint - with more on the hold list in the library. I enjoy his fast-paced action/thriller novels, which are better yet Christian. :) I don't think there's as much Christianity in his novels as I'd like, but there's definitely more than a fair share of dealing with the supernatural. Humans with paranormal abilities are frequent in his books (I don't know a single one without them)... such as being able to glimpse multiple futures or moving items mentally. I love the books... but people who wish for romance will find little of it in his books. They are mainly action/supernatural, though sometimes action/psychological.
Sae-chan

Postby Yuuenchi » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:56 pm

Hello all!

Ah yes, one of my favorite kinds of threads, the "what's in your pile" question.

As for myself, I am currently reading:

Zen in the art of writing: essays on creativity by Ray Bradbury
The scandalous gospel of Jesus: what's so good about the good news? by Rev. Peter J Gomes
A history of philosophy in the twentieth century by Christian Delacampagne, translated by M.B. DeBevoise
and I'll shortly be starting on The language of God: a scientist presents eveidence for belief by Francs S. Collins, for an upcoming parish newsletter book review. I've got another whole stack (or two) from the library on my plate as well.

I've just finished American creation: triumphs and tragedies of the founding Joseph Ellis; Sister Wendy on prayer by Sr. Wendy Becket (which also made it into my parish newsletter as a book review); and A guidebook to learning : for a lifelong pursuit of wisdom by Mortimer J Adler.

Online, I am perusing The Grace and Duty of Being Spiritually Minded - Declared and Practically Improved, from, The Works of John Owen Vol. 7, accessed from The Center For Reformed Theology and Apologetics website.

On the fiction side: I'm re-reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyers right now, and that's about it. Most of the rest of my energy not given over to work and daily living is going into either conversing here or (more likely) AnimeAngels, and writing.

So, on to the next person.
"The beauty of Jesus is inexhasutible. ... He is beautiful everywhere, in the disfigurement of the Passion as well as in the splendors of the Resurrection, amid the horrors of the scourging as well as amid the indescribable attractions of Bethlehem. But above all things our Blessed Lord is beautiful in His Mother." Fr. Faber
Yuuenchi

Postby Kkun » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:18 pm

I just finished Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. I greatly enjoyed it. For the most part, Sanderson did a great job avoiding certain fantasy novel cliches. In the end, however, he did suffer from a need to tie EVERYTHING together, sometimes in ways that didn't feel particularly natural. However, I have to give him kudos for writing a very enjoyable debut novel. His characters are mostly likable and it has quite a few twists and turns that were not entirely predictable. I look forward to reading his Mistborn trilogy, as well as seeing how he decides to handle the massive responsibility of finishing The Wheel of Time for Robert Jordan.

I also just started The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford by Ron Hansen. I love the movie, the book is fantastic so far. I should have it finished in a few days as it's just over 300 pages in length.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:14 pm

I'm currently reading Urth of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. Can't comment on my thoughts so far. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby ich1990 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:41 pm

Whistling in the Dark: A Doubter's Dictionary by Frederick Buechner

A few months ago, I read “Telling the Truthâ€
ich1990

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:01 pm

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born by Stephen King

The graphic novel, just to clarify. While some elements were interesting, as a whole I found it lacking. Perhaps because King is a novelist by trade, the narration is overbearing and the wonderfully dark artwork is rarely given a chance to tell the story on its own.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fio » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:28 pm

Just finished reading New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn (sequels to the Twilight).
The story was awesome! I couldn't put the book aside and read the nearly two thousand pages of text in four days! Lucky me there's no school now...
One thing that kept bugging me through the whole book three was the love-triangle that evolved too far. Good thing nobody saw how I let out my frustration by beating the poor book against the sofa...
But no matter the triangle reading this series was a capturing experience that I would highly recommend.
Fio

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:46 pm

Well, I just recently finished reading The Courage To Be by Paul Tillich. Tillich's ontology of anxiety, nonbeing, and courage is bar none. His historical analysis of the thought-history of these concepts is very well done. However, his theology gives up too many essentials of the faith and is practically indistinguishable from atheism, which is disappointing for one of the 20th century's greatest and most influential systematic theologians. Having given up on the doctrines of providence, immortality and resurrection, and even the personal existence of God, the work basically reads like a description of a despairing world in which Jesus never removed the sting of sin and death. Overall, then, I cautiously recommend this work to mature Christians who can take the good and discard the bad.
GhostontheNet

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:12 pm

Still reading an overload of things I have yet to finish (currently working the hardest on The Prestige by Christopher Priest where novels are concerned), but otherwise, I've recently read and completed the following graphic novels:

Batman: Year One (Frank Miller) -- Loved it. I really enjoy Gordon's character, and I liked getting an extra insight into his perspective.

Batman: Hush (vols. 1 & 2; Jeph Loeb) -- Loved the art style, not as big a fan of the story. It was by no means bad; I just felt like the ending was a bit fast-paced, and it didn't really tie everything together for me in the end. I didn't read it all at once, though, so perhaps I just need to read it again.

The Dark Knight Returns (Frank Miller) -- Amazing. I really loved seeing all of the characters in such an aged state. Bruce Wayne's inner turmoil was also intriguing, and I loved Carrie as Robin. XD I thought Superman's inclusion was also well done (I wasn't a huge fan of his addition to Hush), and the story overall was well-executed. I was especially pleased to recognize the first fight against the Mutants from that one episode of Batman: The Animated Series. "Rubber bullets. Honest." Awesome. XD

V for Vendetta (Alan Moore) -- Just started reading this one last night; I enjoyed the movie but I've heard the graphic novel is pretty different. I'm eager to find out how! I love the art so far, though. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:17 pm

A Christmas Carol and Other Tales by Charles Dickens

I have always found it odd that Dickens (whose writing I generally dislike) produced such a simple and effective tale as A Christmas Carol. Today seemed a timely occasion to read this remarkably short collection, as a family member brought it to our gathering. This book demonstrated that it took Dickens a number of tries to get the formula right, as there are multiple Christmas transformation stories that are rather underwhelming.

For once, however, I find myself preferring a film over the original book. The 1984 version of A Christmas Carol (starring George Scott) remains close to the original, even in language, yet prunes the dialogue very effectively and adds scenes that are better than some of the writing in the original. If anyone feels the urge to see this oft-repeated story yet again, this is the version I recommend.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner