Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby animeantics » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:25 pm

Exactly. It went straight back to the store.
I wish it wasn't like that though...it could be very interesting.

And I heard the anime is just as bad....

Has anyone seen Eureka Seven? I want to see it! But is it clean?
animeantics

Postby blkmage » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:08 pm

KeybladeWarrior (post: 1272497) wrote:Hmmm...would anyone here recommend Tentai Senshi Sunred anime? I heard it is interesting and wonder if anyone has seen it.

I just watched the first episode. It's really campy. It's a short show, probably about ten minutes. Sunred, the hero, is a lazy jerk. The villains are decent monster-people. The ED is about hot pot. What's not to like?
blkmage

Postby animeantics » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:00 pm

Another one I would like to ask about is Lucky Star.

Has anyone seen it and is it any good?
animeantics

Postby blkmage » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:59 pm

I am here to ask about Kara no Kyoukai. I know that it's a series of seven movies based on a novel. I see the posters and they give me a sort of Higurashi vibe. Is this accurate? What is Kara no Kyoukai about? What's the mood/atmosphere and the setting like? How compelling is the story? What are the general impressions of it?
blkmage

Postby Ingemar » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:16 pm

I've seen the first two Kara no Kyoukai movies. What irritates me is that they are in an anachronic order a la Suzumiya Haruhi; what makes that tolerable in Haruhi is that those were relatively short pieces shown periodically; the movies are MOVIES, albeit short ones. If I didn't know anything about KnK before watching the first movie I would have been turned off; as it stands, or rather stood, I was still confused as heck watching the first movie.

If you are interested, the chronological beginning is the SECOND movie. Basically all I can tell you is that the movie is about some schizophrenic chick from a demon-hunter family (And who happens to like strawberry ice cream and resides in my current signature pic). And there's some magicians and magic and ghosts and other paranormal crap. If you know the main character of Tsukihime and his ability (that is, to "see" death as lines and kill by tracing those lines with any sharp object), that is basically her ability, only much more powerful.

There are fansubs out for some of the other movies but I haven't bothered to check them out. Also, there are translations for the original novel and I do believe the book will have an english localization (as The Garden of Sinners). Unfortunately, I don't think reading the books will solve the anachronological problem since apparently the movies follow the books closely. I've heard the prose is thick and dense with philosophical meanderings.

On the bright side, the score is VERY good.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby animechica » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:29 pm

animeantics (post: 1272641) wrote:Yeah...that makes alot of sense.

Like the FLCL manga, it's had that several times, so it went back to the store.

White-out is your friend. ^_^
animechica

Postby Gabriel 9.0 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:48 pm

Here are my recommendations for now

Fist of the North Star the ones from the 80's
The current, only can watched at youtube atm
Transformers G1
Transformers Masterforce
Transformers Victory
Transformers Cybertron
Beat Wars
Full Metal Panic!
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu?
Full Metal Panic the Second Raid
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta
ZZ Gundam
Gundam the 8th MS Team
Bubble Gum Crisis 2040
Sorcerer Hunters
Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade( one of the greatest Special Forces anime films out there.
Karas the Prophecy
Karas the Revalation
Perfect Blue( good thriller)
Patlabor the Movie 1,2,3
Sailor Moon( j/k, stay away from that one, it shall kill you:bulb)
Martian Sucessor Nadesico
Dominion Tank Police
Ghost in The Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2nd GiG( or whatever its called)
Vandread
Hack Roots
Galaxy Angels and its sequel
Tenchi Muyo
Tenchi Universe
Tenchi In Tokyo
The latest Tenchi
Big O
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Case Closed
Yu-Yu Hakisho
Astro Boy
Blue Submarine no 6
SD Gundam
Gundam SEED
Texhnolyze
Gunslinger Girl
Appleseed( 2004 film, I hate the old one but you might like it)
Black Magic M-66( great film, short though)
Macross 2 Lovers again( good Macross/Robotech film)
Most of the Robotech shows
FF 7 Advent Children( a good cgi film)
Ark( good cgi film)
Tokyo Babylon( good film)
Fatal Fury the Motion Picture( great film)
Some of my favorite scriptures.

Psalm91
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

Hebrews 4-4
1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

James 4
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Gabriel 9.0

Postby blkmage » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:59 pm

I have recently finished Kure-nai. It was too short. I seek more like it.
blkmage

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:23 pm

FLCL is my favorite. Anyone interested in watching six half-hour episodes a few times trying to decipher the story is welcome to it.
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby initialdfreak » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:17 am

its great yet so mysterious. I wish the writer / director would make another series. anyways as for my request, does anyone have an idea for something clean, yet similar to aumanga daioh? something light, comedic, but not vulgar or sexual.
initialdfreak

Postby initialdfreak » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:19 am

sorry about the double post here, but I wasnt able to delete it:bang:
initialdfreak

Postby blkmage » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:16 am

initialdfreak (post: 1278337) wrote:its great yet so mysterious. I wish the writer / director would make another series. anyways as for my request, does anyone have an idea for something clean, yet similar to aumanga daioh? something light, comedic, but not vulgar or sexual.

Hidamari Sketch and Hidamari Sketch x365
Minami-ke and maybe Minami-ke ~Okawari~
Lucky Star
Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!
Bamboo Blade
Sketchbook ~full color'S~
blkmage

Postby ilikegir33 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:25 pm

I need a good action-comedy series. Blood, suggestive content, and magic are OK, but long scenes of nudity (>10 seconds in duration) are definitely not what I'm looking for. Here are action comedies I've seen and still enjoy:

Excel Saga
Gurren Lagann
Full Metal Panic, Fumoffu?, The Second Raid
FMA
Trigun
Blue Seed
Black Cat
Bleach
Dragon Half

Oh, and I just want to say, I really hate Naruto, so please don't recommend it. Thanks.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:29 pm

ilikegir33 (post: 1280240) wrote:I need a good action-comedy series. Blood, suggestive content, and magic are OK, but long scenes of nudity (>10 seconds in duration) are definitely not what I'm looking for. Here are action comedies I've seen and still enjoy:

Excel Saga
Gurren Lagann
FMA
Trigun
Blue Seed
Black Cat
Bleach
Dragon Half

Oh, and I just want to say, I really hate Naruto, so please don't recommend it. Thanks.

If you haven't seen Rurouni Kenshin or Cowboy Bebop, they're both must-sees and two of my long-time favorites. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Sheol777 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:03 pm

ilikegir33 (post: 1280240) wrote:I need a good action-comedy series. Blood, suggestive content, and magic are OK, but long scenes of nudity (>10 seconds in duration) are definitely not what I'm looking for. Here are action comedies I've seen and still enjoy:

Excel Saga
Gurren Lagann
FMA
Trigun
Blue Seed
Black Cat
Bleach
Dragon Half

Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
FLCL
Pumpkin Scissors
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:51 pm

Excel Saga
Gurren Lagann
FMA
Trigun
Blue Seed
Black Cat
Bleach
Dragon Half

Someone who likes Dragon Half... that makes you a member of a special elite underground brotherhood. As a fellow secret society member, I am absolutely obligated to come up with suggestions for you.

First and foremost, let me say that most of the first suggestions that popped to mind turned out to be other items on your list! I also second RadicalDreamer's suggestions (but more Cowboy Bebop).

I think when they get the English-speaking release of the Princess Resurrection anime up to speed, you will definitely enjoy it. In the meantime, check out the manga.

Two more relatively recent series not yet in English: Seto no Hanayome and Oh, Edo Rocket! both easily fit your bill.

Also, I suspect Pani Poni Dash might appeal to you.

Other items you would probably enjoy:
Slayers
Orphen
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Haruhiko » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:52 am

I want an action anime with a strong, deep plot. Here's what I've seen and enjoyed...

Fullmetal Alchemist
Trigun
Saint Seiya
.hack//SIGN

I've tried things along the lines of Bleach and Rurouni Kenshin, but couldn't get into it. Anything you guys could recommend?
[SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrange"]Haruhiko, CAA's resident lurker.[/color][/SIZE]

Haruhiko

Postby ilikegir33 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:21 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1280292) wrote:Someone who likes Dragon Half... that makes you a member of a special elite underground brotherhood. As a fellow secret society member, I am absolutely obligated to come up with suggestions for you.

First and foremost, let me say that most of the first suggestions that popped to mind turned out to be other items on your list! I also second RadicalDreamer's suggestions (but more Cowboy Bebop).

I think when they get the English-speaking release of the Princess Resurrection anime up to speed, you will definitely enjoy it. In the meantime, check out the manga.

Two more relatively recent series not yet in English: Seto no Hanayome and Oh, Edo Rocket! both easily fit your bill.

Also, I suspect Pani Poni Dash might appeal to you.

Other items you would probably enjoy:
Slayers
Orphen

Thanks for the suggestions! Also, I love Pani Poni Dash and Cowboy Bebop! I'll check out Oh Edo Rocket, Slayers and Princess Resurrection. I've wanted to see Slayers for quite some time, but I've never gotten around to seeing it.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby ilikegir33 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:36 pm

Haruhiko (post: 1280372) wrote:I want an action anime with a strong, deep plot. Here's what I've seen and enjoyed...

Fullmetal Alchemist
Trigun
Saint Seiya
.hack//SIGN

I've tried things along the lines of Bleach and Rurouni Kenshin, but couldn't get into it. Anything you guys could recommend?

I've got some good recommendations:

Fate/Stay Night
Utawarerumono (good war action series)
Noir (if you like a lot of style)
Kiba (although it's a TCG-based anime, it's certainly more complex and violent than Yu-Gi-Oh or Chaotic. The director himself said Kiba "absolutely will not have any plot elements that carry favor to children." Enough said!)

Hope you like! :P
ilikegir33

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:42 pm

ilikegir33 (post: 1280829) wrote:I've wanted to see Slayers for quite some time, but I've never gotten around to seeing it.

I'm not sure if it will be of any use to you, but I found the first season to be quite a bit more entertaining than the second.
Mithrandir

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:34 pm

I'm looking for an anime to watch with shojy-goodness ^^ Preferably english dubbed, becasue I'm weird like that u_u/

Thank yous 8D
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby yukoxholic » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:14 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1281141) wrote:I'm looking for an anime to watch with shojy-goodness ^^ Preferably english dubbed, becasue I'm weird like that u_u/

Thank yous 8D

You could try Peach Girl. It's dubbed and it has the perfect mix of comedy, drama, and love triangles or you could try Paradise Kiss, Someday's Dreamers (light anime), Piano: The Melody of a Young Girl's Heart (even lighter then Someday's Dreamers), or Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle.

I'd go with Peach Girl though because you'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll want to kill Sae. :D
yukoxholic

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Tsubasa Chronicle is more like shonen because it has lots of action and fighting, but it has the romance elements of shojo too. I think it's listed as shonen (or at least it is on wikipedia) but I can see it going either way. I totally second that recommendation. :D

Hmm I can think of a few more but the English dubs of any I can think of I remember you've already seen or the dubs are of poor quality (in my opinion, anyway). I'm over halfway through Princess Tutu and it's pretty good (there's a review for it here too). I can't be sure because I've only seen the dub in bits and pieces, but what I've seen seems like the story remains unbutchered.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby yukoxholic » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:18 am

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1281204) wrote:Hmm I can think of a few more but the English dubs of any I can think of I remember you've already seen or the dubs are of poor quality (in my opinion, anyway). I'm over halfway through Princess Tutu and it's pretty good (there's a review for it here too). I can't be sure because I've only seen the dub in bits and pieces, but what I've seen seems like the story remains unbutchered.

The dubbed version of Princess Tutu is wonderful. If it were between all the ones listed I'd start with that one. I've already watched and rewatched that anime more then 4 times.
yukoxholic

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:06 pm

yukoxholic (post: 1281155) wrote:You could try Peach Girl. It's dubbed and it has the perfect mix of comedy, drama, and love triangles or you could try Paradise Kiss, Someday's Dreamers (light anime), Piano: The Melody of a Young Girl's Heart (even lighter then Someday's Dreamers), or Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle.

I'd go with Peach Girl though because you'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll want to kill Sae. :D

Haha, I wanted to kill Sae back when I read the manga D:< She reminds me soooo much of middle school and high school D:< Sh-she made me want to trhow things XD!

Thank you for the suggestions ^^ I'll look into them :)

Thank you as well, MySNGoesHere ^_^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby That Dude » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:39 pm

Lucky, have you checked out Preatar? I haven't seen it personally but I've only heard good things about it.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:12 pm

yukoxholic (post: 1281358) wrote:The dubbed version of Princess Tutu is wonderful. If it were between all the ones listed I'd start with that one. I've already watched and rewatched that anime more then 4 times.

Thanks for confirming it for me too. ^^ I think I'll have to watch it dubbed when I re-watch it. When compared to the sub and the dub, which do you prefer? So far the only dub I've necessarily liked much more than the sub was Fruits Basket, but I'm curious about this one too.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1280839) wrote:I'm not sure if it will be of any use to you, but I found the first season to be quite a bit more entertaining than the second.

I second this; although I did enjoy both, the first is the better season.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby RandomBurrito » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:31 pm

:red: I'm so sorry, I posted a thread about two animes... again... sorry.

Umm... well, I'm looking for something that's entertaining yet clean. Romance and comedy are two favorites and action I like too. Umm... any recommendations?
RandomBurrito

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:16 am

RandomBurrito wrote:I Hi... well I have been suggested some animes to watch but I'm not sure if they are good to watch. Two titles that I have been told about are Shugo Chara and Clannad. If anyone has seen these titles please let me know if they are good. Thank you

(I'm new here... )

CAA ni irrashaimase! I'm replying in the Recommendations Thread because your very first post at CAA got shut down practically before you hit the 'submit' button. Ouch.

Shugo Chara is a popular offering from a very popular team of manga artists, so I did check out a few episodes. It didn't have anything to hold me, but I'm not the right demographic. I just had to check into it because CrunchyRoll and TV Tokyo have used it as a vehicle to explore legal online streaming Anime, so it's kind of a history maker. Good artwork, but someone else will have to comment on the story.

Clannad, on the other hand, is typical Dating-Sim-Converted-To-Anime fare, and not one of the better ones, in my opinion.

Any idea on what really interests you? If you're new to anime, you can talk about what American TV shows, films or books entertain you. Anime has a very wide range of genres, and we have lots of different tastes represented here at CAA.

EricTheFred

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews