It's annoying when people don't think.

Talk about anything in here.

It's annoying when people don't think.

Postby animechica » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:43 pm

A weird thing happened to me the other day.
My friend (we'll call her Friend 1) and I were talking when she happened to remark, "Oh, did you know Pocky isn't from Japan? It's Korean."
I said, "I'm pretty sure it was Japanese..."
She proceeded to tell me that it was in fact Korean because a friend of ours (Friend 2) recently met a Korean exchange student who told her so.

(As a interesting note, this student apparently also has explained that she doesn't like Japanese things because Korea and Japan don't get along, so there is an obvious bias against anything Japanese there anyway.)

So, wondering if perhaps there was some kind of history, I had my boyfriend look it up on wikipedia to refresh my memory. I've already read the Pocky article but I forgot if it happened to say anything about Korean pocky.

The article begins with this sentence. Pocky (ポッキー, pokkī?) (pronounced [pokːiː] in Japanese) listen (help·info) is a Japanese snack food produced by the Ezaki Glico Company of Japan It also mentioned that Pocky was first introduced in Japan in like year 1966.

A link in that article led us to Pepero, the Korean version of Pocky, MANUFACTURED SINCE 1983.

So when I saw Friends 1 and 2 together, I brought it up.
"You know Pocky is really from Japan, don't you? It's on Wikipedia, I looked it up."
Friend 1: Wikipedia isn't reliable!
Me: Don't give me that... it has sources!
Friend 2: No, Pocky really is Korean! Because when my friend saw that I had it, she said "Hey, we have that in Korea! Japan must have copied from us!"

So even if one wants to make the argument that Wikipedia is not reliable, I could turn right around and make the argument that the Korean exchange student appeared to have never SEEN Pocky before, and ASSUMED that it was a copy. They're weighing the assumption of a girl who has an admitted bias against Japan, against the collective mind of however many knowledgeable people wrote and edited that article on Pocky. And that girl's statement wins.

Yeah, I know, you're probably all thinking "What's the big deal? It's candy. Get over it." but it really hits a nerve when I think about how blindly people will accept what they are told and THEN attempt to convince ME that I am the one who is wrong.

Oh, and this is the same exchange student who, upon hearing the word "emo", volunteered the translation in Japanese: OTAKU.

*headdesk*

Sorry for the rant, I just need people to listen who actually understand where I'm coming from...
animechica

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:11 pm

I know what you mean; this is one of my biggest pet peeves. I used to have to deal with this all the time. It's really freaking annoying to be told you're wrong when you KNOW you're right. >_<
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby minakichan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:21 pm

Friend 2: No, Pocky really is Korean! Because when my friend saw that I had it, she said "Hey, we have that in Korea! Japan must have copied from us!"

OTL

I think everyone has moments like this at least once in their lives though. When I was little, I thought that Pokemon was all animated by one man.

Of course, when people insist that ramen is originally Japanese, the headdesking goes both ways =/
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:25 pm

I hate this whole "wikipedia is not reliable" diatribe everyone jumps on to. It's "not reliable" as in it is not a canonized recognized academic resource, not "not reliable" as in dodgy bloke in trench coat who sells watches. Considering it's strict need for resourcing it's pretty danged reliable for casual information consumption.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:27 pm

I feel the same way, Etoh. It's just "cool" to say that it's unreliable, which really fricking irritates me.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby animechica » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:28 pm

minakichan (post: 1274773) wrote:OTL

I think everyone has moments like this at least once in their lives though. When I was little, I thought that Pokemon was all animated by one man.

Of course, when people insist that ramen is originally Japanese, the headdesking goes both ways =/

Hey, that reminds me of another thing Friend 1 tried to convince me of way back when we were kids.

Her: Digimon is from Mexico.
Me: No it's not... it's anime, from Japan! (such a bright lil child I was! lol)
Her: It is too! There's a character named Gatomon, and that's Spanish! (or at least, an argument something along those lines.)

But oh, yeah, it's based on Chinese noodles, right? *just googled but would've known it if I'd thought about it*

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1274774) wrote:I hate this whole "wikipedia is not reliable" diatribe everyone jumps on to. It's "not reliable" as in it is not a canonized recognized academic resource, not "not reliable" as in dodgy bloke in trench coat who sells watches. Considering it's strict need for resourcing it's pretty danged reliable for casual information consumption.

Ugh, me too. And you know, usually the people that will give me that garbage are same bunch who will ask questions like, "Are you sure your 14-year old female friend in Dubai isn't really a faking middle-aged man?"

SOOOOO AGGRAVATING. >___<;
animechica

Postby minakichan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Her: Digimon is from Mexico.
Me: No it's not... it's anime, from Japan! (such a bright lil child I was! lol)
Her: It is too! There's a character named Gatomon, and that's Spanish! (or at least, an argument something along those lines.)

You made me laugh... and then I started choking for like 15 seconds straight. It hurtssss. D:
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby animechica » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:41 pm

minakichan (post: 1274780) wrote:....

You made me laugh... and then I started choking for like 15 seconds straight. It hurtssss. D:

D'aww, gomen ne! ^___^;;;

But yeah, that's the kind of stuff you have to deal with when you're the "authority" on another culture around your less knowledgeable friends...

and on a related but bit different note, I've been told "THIS IS AMERICA, NOT JAPAN" so many times throughout the course of my geekiness (not by friends though, usually), that I've deduced it's either some kind of phobia against anything Japanese, or people just hate the fact that I know more than them about something interesting. GRR.
animechica

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:47 pm

Japan and Korea always copy off each other.

But Pocky is actually from Portugal. I know this because I am Korean.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:48 pm

and on a related but bit different note, I've been told "THIS IS AMERICA, NOT JAPAN" so many times throughout the course of my geekiness (not by friends though, usually), that I've deduced it's either some kind of phobia against anything Japanese, or people just hate the fact that I know more than them about something interesting. GRR.

And people say that the Japanese are xenophobes. XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby animeantics » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:01 am

Yes, this is very annoying...and I know what you mean about wikipedia. I'll say something that I read from there and everyone's like "You can't trust wikipedia!!!"

WHAT? SHE CALLED "EMO" "OTAKU"?!?!??!?!?!
*headdesks with you*

First, those two are waaaay diffrent. OH! And why are people saything that anime&manga is emo?! I thought people stereotypicly called it "nerdy"?! (But I am a nerd so I never take offence to that)
animeantics

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:06 am

I dunno. Having worked in the past at a mallbound bookstore, while one is not the other they frequently intersect, and more often than not in obnoxious ways.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby animechica » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1274829) wrote:I dunno. Having worked in the past at a mallbound bookstore, while one is not the other they frequently intersect, and more often than not in obnoxious ways.

I haven't had the experience of observing too many people like that, but back in MY day an emo was just a sad person, and all the otaku were GOTH! XD

But, Newton's ORIGINAL first law:

teenager + trendy fandom = obnoxiousity in some way.
animechica

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:54 pm

Emo is otaku? I didn't know that a house had feelings.

[font="Book Antiqua"]
[color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang
[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby animeantics » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:02 pm

Doesn't Emo mean potato in Japanese?
animeantics

Postby minakichan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:21 pm

I dunno. Having worked in the past at a mallbound bookstore, while one is not the other they frequently intersect, and more often than not in obnoxious ways.

*thinks*

Building low-tech circuits and wearing them on your shirt, playing D&D obsessively, speaking in programming languages, and using 3 monitors with one's desktop computer

intersects with

Thinking vampires are sexy and original, wearing black nail polish, writing bad poetry about "MY SOUL, IT SHATTERED INTO A THOUSAND FROZEN BURNING PIECES OF DARKNESS," and idolizing screamo music

how?!

[SIZE="1"](Answer: Splattering your low-tech fashion circuits in your own blood, making your own D20 dice and writing the numbers in black nail polish, writing your bad emo poetry in C++, and using your 3 monitors to play 3 full-screen screamo MVs or concert videos all at the same time.)[/SIZE]
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:41 pm

Actually, I think that emo kids may have replaced nerds on on of the lower rungs of the social ladder, as nerds have largely taken over the world. It seems like everywhere I look, someone is making fun of emo kids. (Thereby making them more emo, which in turn gives others more to make fun of..... it's a vicious cycle, really)
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Doubleshadow » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:45 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1274782) wrote:Japan and Korea always copy off each other.

But Pocky is actually from Portugal. I know this because I am Korean.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

animeantics (post: 1274882) wrote:Doesn't Emo mean potato in Japanese?

Oh, I wish I had photoshop.

There is having knowledge about a culture, and then there is being FROM there and having people not get it. What happens when a girl from Albuquerque moves to rural West Virginia and goes to the elementary school?

"Yer uh Mex-ee-can?"
"No, my family is from here. My Dad just retired from the Air Force."
"No yer a Mex-ee-can! Yer from Mex-ee-co!"
"I'm from New Mexico! I've never been to Mexico!"
"No yer a Mex-ee-can! Ye-ou said so! Ye-ou crossed that Rye-o Grand!"
"Not Mexico! NEW Mexico!"
"Wuht's New Mex-ee-co? Yer makin' that uhp!"

Over and over, etc.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby sharien chan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:13 pm

My professor said he thinks Wikipedia is really good...specifically for things having to do with pop culture. To quote "When it comes to basic information I trust it. However when it comes the Kennedy assassination not so much" Basically when it comes to controversial topics it's a little dicey, but when it comes to general facts such as when Pocky was invented, it's pretty accurate.
sharien chan

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:20 pm

Doubleshadow wrote:There is having knowledge about a culture, and then there is being FROM there and having people not get it. What happens when a girl from Albuquerque moves to rural West Virginia and goes to the elementary school?

"Yer uh Mex-ee-can?"
"No, my family is from here. My Dad just retired from the Air Force."
"No yer a Mex-ee-can! Yer from Mex-ee-co!"
"I'm from New Mexico! I've never been to Mexico!"
"No yer a Mex-ee-can! Ye-ou said so! Ye-ou crossed that Rye-o Grand!"
"Not Mexico! NEW Mexico!"
"Wuht's New Mex-ee-co? Yer makin' that uhp!"

Over and over, etc.

That sounds like what happen in Atlanta at the time we hosted the 1996 Summer Olympics. It was a few months, before the Olympics started and a guy from New Mexico called the Olympic ticket office in Atlanta and shows you what kind of idiots that the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games had running this event.

He called in and said that he wanted to order tickets and the person doing the order ask if they live in the US, since you had to order the tickets from the country that you are from.

When he said New Mexico, the lady that work for ACOG said, you will have to call the Mexico Committee for Olympic Games to order tickets.

He was told her, but I live in New Mexico!

The lady form the ACOG: No its not!

He: Yes it is! I live in New Mexico the state not Mexico!

The lady form the ACOG: Sir, New Mexico, Old Mexico! It doesn't many any difference. You will have to order your tickets from the Mexico Committee for Olympic Games.

He: But I live in New Mexico!

The lady form the ACOG: *Hangs on the caller*

[font="Book Antiqua"]
[color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby animeantics » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:01 pm

[quote="Doubleshadow (post: 1274904)Oh, I wish I had photoshop.[/QUOTE"]

I can just imagine it....bwahahaha!

By the way, I am in no way trying to insult emo's at all.
Just to make that clear.

quote fail, sorry about that.
animeantics

Postby oro! » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:07 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1274910) wrote:That sounds like what happen in Atlanta at the time we hosted the 1996 Summer Olympics. It was a few months, before the Olympics started and a guy from New Mexico called the Olympic ticket office in Atlanta and shows you what kind of idiots that the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games had running this event.

He called in and said that he wanted to order tickets and the person doing the order ask if they live in the US, since you had to order the tickets from the country that you are from.

When he said New Mexico, the lady that work for ACOG said, you will have to call the Mexico Committee for Olympic Games to order tickets.

He was told her, but I live in New Mexico!

The lady form the ACOG: No its not!

He: Yes it is! I live in New Mexico the state not Mexico!

The lady form the ACOG: Sir, New Mexico, Old Mexico! It doesn't many any difference. You will have to order your tickets from the Mexico Committee for Olympic Games.

He: But I live in New Mexico!

The lady form the ACOG: *Hangs on the caller*

[font="Book Antiqua"]
[color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]

This is just classic. Thank you very manys!
We really need to learn our states...
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Dante » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:31 pm

Umm... While it may very well be from Japan, given the name: ポッキー, this would seem rather strange. The reason for this is that Japan has the wonderful tendency of segregating its own language into foreign and domestic words. If Pocky was a word that originated domestically (as would be expected if the product originated domestically from Japan) then the word should be spelt in Hirigana. However, its spelt in katakana, which is reserved for foreign words and names ect. (I for instance must write my name in katakana and not hirigana even though the alphebets differ only in the symbols used).

Thus, while it may be true that Pocky MAY have originated from Japan... The symbols used suggest a foreign origin.

I however, doubt that it originated in Korea, as we all know...

Pocky originated in Temuoplis, and was jointly created by Temulin and Da Rabid Ducky.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby minakichan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:50 pm

Thus, while it may be true that Pocky MAY have originated from Japan... The symbols used suggest a foreign origin.

...The name on the packaging is Pocky. In Roman letters, and then in Japanese as well.

Isn't it simply using an Englishesque/Romanesque name for a Japanese product? Like if an American product had a Frenchish name, that doesn't mean that the product has French origin.

Also, while katakana is usually used for foreignish names, sometimes it's not.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Warrior4Christ » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:51 pm

[quote="Pascal (post: 1275303)"]Umm... While it may very well be from Japan, given the name: ポ]
It seems reasonable logic, but I remember seeing something that I knew had Japanese origin being spelt in katakana. So there may the occasional exception.

Also, in this case, I'm glad I don't live in country with 50 states and some ignorant people! XD
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby animechica » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:31 am

[quote="Pascal (post: 1275303)"]Umm... While it may very well be from Japan, given the name: ポ]

I think it's because the name Pocky comes from the Japanese word "pokkin", (ポッキン) which is a sound effect for the sound it makes when you bite it. In manga, as everyone here probably knows, sound effects are written in katakana ^_^
animechica

Postby Mave » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:39 am

My initial thoughts: Why is it so important that Pocky should come from Japan or Korea? Just shut up and eat. LOL
Mave

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:12 am

You're technically right, but they don't always use katakana exclusively for foreign words. Sometimes it's used for emphasis, and like someone already mentioned, they also use it for sound words. And yes, the name "Pocky" is derived from the sound it makes when you eat it. :]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:03 am

It makes a sound like "pocky" when you eat it?.....

I'm going to have to pay better attention to the sound the next time I eat it. I could have sworn it was a "crunch" like many other foods. XD
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:12 am

Mave (post: 1275464) wrote:My initial thoughts: Why is it so important that Pocky should come from Japan or Korea? Just shut up and eat. LOL

This.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Next

Return to General