Did anyone know about this?!

Talk about anything in here.

Postby animechica » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:10 am

Whitefang (post: 1274350) wrote:Ah, I like how Shin Chan comes on as I read the article...

AND LOL!

In the show, there's a
Sports Illistrated
Women are objects, not athletes edition.

So we have Japanese media (this particular one is quite offensive) pointing out American faults in our own media.

Today is full of ironies.

Haha, nice. I've been going through a really angsty thought process recently where I look at women on TV, in magazines, etc. and just note all the airbrushing and body-flaunting. My hatred of sexualized media and images is mounting. It makes me really sad and jealous inside. Anyway, when I hear satire like that in entertainment it makes me have hope that at least someone out there understands and is talking about it. ><
animechica

Postby goldenspines » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:45 am

Mithrandir (post: 1274325) wrote:Somewhat along the lines of what's being said recently, I'm quite a bit more apprehensive about kids who are only involved in christian school and church activities than I am about ones who are into anime/manga. As a parent, it's kinda your responsibility to continue to expose the kids to new ideas/things and show them how God fits into LIFE, not just CHURCH.

Quoted again for truth.
goldenspines

Postby minakichan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:46 am

So we have Japanese media (this particular one is quite offensive) pointing out American faults in our own media.

Of course, Shin Chan is VASTLY rewritten from Crayon Shin-chan, so that tidbit probably qualifies as AMERICAN media than Japanese media. The real Crayon Shin-chan is crude, <s>but not nearly as profound</s>.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Lady Kenshin » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:52 am

animeantics (post: 1274215) wrote:I also dealt with a bit of guilt after reading the article...but I've been thinking about it, and like I said earlier. I'm being careful, so it's okay.

But, anime is not ALL bad, and the author seems to think that it is. I also agree that the author should've done a bit more research.

Yeah. I remember being offended when I first read this article. I do think PluggedIn can be too judgmental.

Sapphi (post: 1274316) wrote:My boyfriend and I thought the same on that, too.

As a general observation of others and even of myself sometimes, it seems like people can be quick to blame your hobbies on the fact that you're not as interested in church-related things. I'm of the opinion that we ourselves choose our distractions and allow them to become more important than our Christian fellowship and lessons. It's not necessarily the fault of the hobby, it's ourselves and our priorities that are to blame...

Exactly.

Mithrandir (post: 1274325) wrote:Somewhat along the lines of what's being said recently, I'm quite a bit more apprehensive about kids who are only involved in christian school and church activities than I am about ones who are into anime/manga. As a parent, it's kinda your responsibility to continue to expose the kids to new ideas/things and show them how God fits into LIFE, not just CHURCH.

Thank you, Mith! You rock!

EDIT: In addition, I don't see what's wrong with girl power.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby Lady Kenshin » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:53 am

In addition, I don't see what's wrong with girl power.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby animeantics » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:19 pm

WOOHOOO FOR THAT QUOTE!!!!! :dance:

You people are very smart. :thumb:

Like another user said, the author could've offered some clean alternitives for parents and fans to look into, instead of projecting some somewhat negative ideas. But, then again. The author had some good points. Anime CAN be very very very bad and immoral. BUT, not all of it. I think that if ALL anime and manga was immoral, we wouldn't be here, right?! *Points to CAA members*
animeantics

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:22 pm

Since I am posting, my only on topic comment is that we have had far too many threads about this article.

Lady Kenshin wrote:In addition, I don't see what's wrong with girl power.

I merged this into your other one. Please edit instead of double posting. That having been said, thanks for mentioning this. I thought I was the only person who found that line more than a little troubling.
uc pseudonym

Postby minakichan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:59 pm

Like another user said, the author could've offered some clean alternitives for parents and fans to look into, instead of basically giving off that "Anime is BAD. STAY AWAY." message. But, then again. The author had some good points. Anime CAN be very very very bad and immoral. BUT, not all of it. I think that if ALL anime and manga was immoral, we wouldn't be here, right?! *Points to CAA members*

I find this statement extremely ironic given the content of the article.

Yeah, OK, I really don't get why people are interpreting the article to say "Anime is BAD. STAY AWAY." at all. Come on, they even talk about "evangelizing the subculture" and point to CAA. Clearly they AREN'T saying that anime is devil worship. It's not like they're pointing to a Satanic cult and then saying "Well, there are some Christians who also like Satanism, so you should tell your kids to hang out with them."

orz
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby animeantics » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:16 pm

minakichan (post: 1274489) wrote:I find this statement extremely ironic given the content of the article.

Yeah, OK, I really don't get why people are interpreting the article to say "Anime is BAD. STAY AWAY." at all. Come on, they even talk about "evangelizing the subculture" and point to CAA. Clearly they AREN'T saying that anime is devil worship. It's not like they're pointing to a Satanic cult and then saying "Well, there are some Christians who also like Satanism, so you should tell your kids to hang out with them."

orz

Good point. :) I re-phrased my other post because after re-reading it I felt like I was bashing, and I didn't want to do that.

And uc pseudonym, I'm sorry. I didn't know that there were other threads about this :(
animeantics

Previous

Return to General