Driving + Cell Phone = FAIL

Talk about anything in here.

Postby PrincessZelda » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:40 pm

xblack_x_rosesx (post: 1272450) wrote:ACTUALLY. Today, I was driving and I was texting, and I looked up and I was like "DANG!" becaues I almost hit an old woman.

I used to text while driving, until I almost hit a lady one day... XD;; Now I only text at stoplights :angel:
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:54 pm

yeah. Driving and texting BAD.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:57 am

People, just drive your **** car. Please!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Kaligraphic » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:34 pm

In California, talking on the phone and texting are both illegal now.

I fully support this law.

Now, one of these days, they'll get women to stop putting on makeup while driving.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby PrincessZelda » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:38 pm

I would never put makeup on while driving. I'd probably mess up my makeup!
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:38 pm

[quote="PrincessZelda (post: 1272521)"]I used to text while driving, until I almost hit a lady one day... XD]

DEWD.
Let's start a "WE-ALMOST-HIT-OLD-PEOPLE-BECAUSE-WE'RE-YOUNG-AND-HIP-AND-TEXT-WHILE-DRIVING" club XP

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby PrincessZelda » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:45 pm

Yeah! XD

PrincessZelda

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:22 pm

Girls, this isn't funny. It's one of those things you can't joke about. It could be a matter of life and death.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Stephen » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:30 pm

Heh. Some moron smashed his car through a neighbors house a while back. Failed to negotiate the curve because he was texting his girlfriend. Thankfully everyone was upstairs sleeping. Had they been in the living room, someone could have been killed. If you're going to take the chance and text while you drive, you should be punished to the full extent of the law if someone gets hurt. I think the first time someone got a life sentence in prison for killing someone....maybe people would rethink it. Or, maybe not.
Stephen

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:36 pm

I've almost been in a front end collisions without my cellphone. I usually have a hand on the stereo instead :D They're gonna make that illegal because of me.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:18 pm

Why is it so hard to just let it ring, or pull over to the side of the road, stop and answer it? Also, if you use the cd player or radio, change it at the traffic lights or before you leave your house.
It's not that hard people and it can help keep the roads just that little bit safer.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Kaligraphic » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:19 pm

Personally, I'm of the opinion that if the call is important, the caller will leave a voicemail, and if it's not, it didn't need me to answer it in the first place.

I am a veritable rebel against our always-accessible culture.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:51 pm

So true Kaligraphic, so true.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:40 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Why is it so hard to just let it ring, or pull over to the side of the road, stop and answer it?

Because when you are calling for directions on how to get somewhere, it is very useful to take a call so you know where to take an exit. As far as why is it so hard to pull over, well, when you are in heavy traffic on an interstate where you CANNOT pull over, and you need to know "Hey do I take this exit that's coming up in thirty seconds?" then there you go.

I'm not defending ALL situations where people drive with cellphones, just saying that there are legitimate situations where you've gotta answer where you're at. For example,
Kali wrote:Personally, I'm of the opinion that if the call is important, the caller will leave a voicemail, and if it's not, it didn't need me to answer it in the first place.

Except that when somebody is calling from say, a prison, and you don't answer the phone, they can't leave a voicemail. And saying that a person doesn't need to answer that is kind of rude.

My mom gets to talk to her husband for a grand total of about 20 minutes a day. If she doesn't answer the phone when he calls, that's it. He doesn't get a chance to call her back, that's how prison works. He can't always call at the same time either, so it's kind of random. So if she's driving and the phone rings, she needs to answer it, or else she loses the chance to talk to him.

And I would only say to the people that would respond "It's not important for her to talk to her husband" with a shake of the head and say well, I won't show sympathy for you either when a loved one is in an emotionally painful situation.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Stephen » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:29 pm

Warrior4Jesus, watch the language.
Stephen

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:40 pm

Sorry, it wasn't actually all that bad but the forum censors the most mild of language. Will edit.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Kaligraphic » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:30 pm

I'll note that most of the calls that I get are not from people in prison, nor are they life-or-death situations. They are not emergencies, and they are not once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. They are just ordinary phone calls. In fact, I'd wager the same is true for the majority of calls received by the majority of people. U.S. DoJ figures give a prison population on the order of 2.3 million, while the U.S. Census Bureau gives a total population of over 300 million. Thus, if an inmate only has one call per day, the "call from an inmate" scenario applies to less than 1% of the U.S. population. Those to whom it does apply, and who cannot bear to miss even one day, must surely engage in more, and more serious, lifestyle alterations to deal with that, so a change of driving habits would be a relatively small thing in comparison with the rest of the lifestyle alterations required to completely drop everything for 20 minutes on 20 seconds notice.

Given the small population to which your scenario applies, and the low probability of a randomly-timed call coinciding with a time when one is likely to be driving, I submit that it does not outweigh the greater benefit of a ban on cell phone use in the car.

The simple fact is that most of us do not need the kind of immediate, on-demand accessibility that is expected of us. If I miss an exit, I take the next one. If somebody calls me about dinner plans, a broken computer, or some other minor matter, and leaves me a voicemail, and I get back to them five or ten minutes later, it's not the end of the world. If your server is down, it's costing you a million dollars a minute, and you need me to remote in and fix something, well, you really don't want me trying to type on the freeway, as I could well mess things up even worse due to lack of focus, and then crash into something and get myself killed. Then you'd have an even bigger problem on the server, and nobody to fix it. If it's a medical emergency, what are you doing calling me, anyway? Call 911, they'll actually be able to help you.

If you need some function to be reachable 24/7, and it is truly vital, you'll have someone on duty and paid for those hours. Anything else, and you'll just have to accept that best-effort doesn't mean drop-everything-for-every-little-problem-or-question.

I'm not a call center, I'm not a robot, and I'm not the slave of anybody who can dial my digits. If the reason that you are calling is not important enough for you to leave a voicemail so that I can call you back, then that says something about how important the call was to you. If you can't be bothered to leave me a message, why should I care about what you have to say?

Now, for my friends, and people I like to talk to, I may call back even if they don't leave a message, but I don't guarantee it. And really, how hard is it to wait for a beep and say "Hey, this is Joe, everybody's meeting at the hamburger place tonight. Call me back if you're coming."?
Kaligraphic

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:50 pm

Welll, for me I hardly get calls on my cell.
Like, if I get a call- something's up, otherwise people would text.

Not to mention I'm on a stupid cell plan where it costs more to check the messages on my phone then to actually answer the call. X.X

I don't text and drive no more though.

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:46 pm

Not to mention, get head sets people.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby bakura_fan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:14 pm

I remember one time that I had just left my mother in laws work site, and she called me 20 minutes later. I pulled over to answer in case she needed me. Then...found out I was stuck in a deep trench. Luckily a van of teenagers, and a professional (somethingerother) driver were able to get me out of the mud and back on the road. Seriously. I tried to do the right thing and got screwed over. I'm glad I have a bluetooth now.
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby chelle0227 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 pm

I put my phone in my purse while driving. I don't answer anything while i'm driving. I think it's stupid to be on the phone while driving. Really come on are you that addicted to the stupid gadget?

I know my boyfriends mom does it all the time, and i refuse to ride with her any more when she does that. because it scares me because then there is room for the risk of something going wrong.

I agree with a few other people just put your phone away for a little while and concentrate on driving. Because one time it's going to be the diference between someones life or death.

MORAL: PUT THE PHONE AWAY WHILE DRIVING! YOU WILL LIVE A FEW MINS/HOURS WITH OUT IT
Footprints in the sand by Carolyn Joyce Carty

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the lord.

Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene he noticed two sets of foot prints in the sand: one belonging to him the other to the lord.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the foot prints in the sand.

He noticed that name times along the path of his life there was only one set o footprints.

He also noticed that it was at the lowest and saddest times of his life.

This really bothered him and he questioned the lord about it:

"lord, you said once i decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But i have noticed during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of foot prints. I dont understand why when i needed you most you would leave me."

The lord replied:

"My son, my precious child, I love you and would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that i carried you."
chelle0227

Postby Stanton21 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:06 pm

As much as I find it annoying that I have to answer my friend's cellphone while we're on the road (and he's driving), I think we both agree that it's a pretty fair compromise. Not only is it illegal in my state, but driving while talking on a cellphone is plain inconsiderate to the other drivers who you share the road with.
Stanton21

Postby F.M Disciple » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:57 pm

hmm. Since I don't drive, I usualy talk while walking.
No major mishaps so far, Thank God.

Here is something interesting. In my state we established the No talking on your cell phone while driving law, or whatever you call it. But texting was not included in the law.

With in the next month they banned people from texting while driving.
Why would you not include texting while driving?.

Thats even more dangerous while driving your car than talking on your cell phone!

Leave to lawmakers to forget to add important details.
Oh well, it's a good laugh .
except for the victums that get hit by drivers when their texting. 0_0
F.M Disciple

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:51 pm

[color="DarkOrchid"]I've had quite a few fail moments whilst driving, but few of those have been while on my cell phone. The worst of those was a little drifting while I was trying to text. I won't even try that on my new phone, though. The touch screen is a little difficult to use for texting and opening it for the keyboard while driving would just be asking for trouble. I have enough issues answering that sucker still. I just got it not even a month ago, so I'm still getting used to it.[/color]

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:55 pm

Sometimes I wonder if maybe the "cellphone and driving is a bad combo" thing is a little over rated. I already drive with one hand all the time and I usually have my brothers in the back seat and they are way more distracting than a cellphone.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:10 pm

[color="DarkOrchid"]Exactly. I only drive with both hands on the wheel if I'm in a bit of a tight spot or I'm passing like a nutcase. (Cuz I'm guilty of that. Don't drive slow around me on the freeway.) Radio and CDs are frequently changed, and as I am the only one in the car most of the time, it is up to me to change them. It doesn't take any more focus to chat on my phone. [/color]

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby ADXC » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:22 pm

@ Spirit Wolf- I sure hope you only change CDs while at stop lights. I tried to change a CD while driving and it did not work out so well.
ADXC

Postby bakura_fan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:55 am

ADXC (post: 1276587) wrote:@ Spirit Wolf- I sure hope you only change CDs while at stop lights. I tried to change a CD while driving and it did not work out so well.

I miss my old car...it had a 6 cd changer and a regular cd place, and all the controlls were on the steering wheel. ;-; that was one of the things my parents didn't let me keep because they didn't approve of my marriage decision.
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby That Dude » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:49 am

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1276565) wrote:Sometimes I wonder if maybe the "cellphone and driving is a bad combo" thing is a little over rated. I already drive with one hand all the time and I usually have my brothers in the back seat and they are way more distracting than a cellphone.

I agree with you totally here, Some people have their own driving kryptonite. And while it may be extremely stupid, like say texting while driving, there are always things every bit as distracting. To outlaw something like talking on the phone while driving is totally a great example of the government totally overstepping their bounds. Things like this should be taught as common sense things, not as federal offenses.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:10 am

I don't do anything that doesn't allow me to keep both eyes on the road and full control of the car. That said, I can talk on my phone or operate my radio while doing both now.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Previous Next

Return to General