Nudity!

Talk about anything in here.

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:29 pm

I've had this planned out for a few years now- it's pretty thought out, I have it designed how I want it and such so.
It's not spur of the moment =P
It's my grad gift to myself, so yeaa.
=P

But still.

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:46 pm

Here's what I say: You have even the slightest doubt about it. Because of that, I would advise not to.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:21 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1271706) wrote:Here's what I say: You have even the slightest doubt about it. Because of that, I would advise not to.

Yeah, any type of doubt (rather big or small) may be a sign that you shouldn't do it o_o

Or, at least it give it some more thought. It's like Chibi said, it's going to be there forever.. FOREVER O__O
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby AJV » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:09 am

Hi xblack_x_rosesx,

There's not much for me to add since I agree with what others have said about praying about it and stuff like that.

A question though, What do you hope achieve by doing this?
Also if your parents are so against it, maybe you shouldn't go though with it.
Ask them why they feel that way and tell them why you want to do it.

About the tattoo.
You might like looking at pinups, but are sure you want one on your body?
I'm not a big fan of pinups myself since most of the ones I ever saw where on DA and IMO they were distasteful.
What happens if you're not into pinup girls anymore and you have a tattoo of one.
And you're in your 80's.

Anyway, God Bless. :)
[url=ajvsblog.blogspot.com]Image[/url]ImageImage
AJV

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:29 am

Dude, that's just 'cause DA is distasteful, although I gotta give props to the lady who did this. She also has a Wonderwoman one on her site. The old fashioned pinups from the 40s and 50s were sometimes some of the classiest stuff around, if just more than a little hokey or cheesey.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Stephen » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:21 am

And you're in your 80's.

I will not go into tats vs no tats, but what I will point out is how much I hate the excuse "Well when you're 80 it will look ugly" When you're 80, you're skin will be ugly looking regardless. Nobody will enjoy looking at your body lol. So the idea that tattoos will make you ugly? Peh.
Stephen

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am

Stephen (post: 1271720) wrote:I will not go into tats vs no tats, but what I will point out is how much I hate the excuse "Well when you're 80 it will look ugly" When you're 80, you're skin will be ugly looking regardless. Nobody will enjoy looking at your body lol. So the idea that tattoos will make you ugly? Peh.

this.
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:07 am

All... erm... valid?

Anyway, my question wasn't about "hey yall, should I get tattoos?". I mean, I'm set on the tatts I have and the tatts I want. Having my body inked doesn't bother me, even when I "get older". I mean, if it's something in my life that I liked enough to put it on my body, I don't think I could regret it (keep in mind these are years in advanced planning, so I'm not "Dewd! I'm liking this so I'm gonna go get a tatoo of it!" It's forethought plenty).

I was just wondering if it was... tasteful? Or something. I dunno, I was just wondering what everyone thought of the idea is all =P.

Thanks yall for the input though ^_^

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Prince Asbel » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:38 am

Nate (post: 1271618) wrote:You could do the most inoffensive thing you can think of and I guarantee you it would offend somebody somehow. All this talk about "If it offends someone don't do it!" is all well and good. I'm not going to sit here and say Christians should do what they want and to hell with what others think.

Are we now in the same boat? It's not my fault I lusted, it's all her fault for being attractive! It's her fault for taking artistic photos! It's her fault for bending over to pick up a quarter she dropped!

Right on, Nate. Some people can be offended by something perfectly moral done in a moral context. Obviously you can't please everyone.

HOWEVER, I think it's worth pointing out that helping other brothers and sisters in Christ to avoid lusting is a collaberative effort. Both men and women must work together to help in that area. Think of it this way. It would be very unkind if not downright rude for me to scoff all sorts of delicious fatty foods if my sister was on a diet. Does that mean I can never eat them in the house? No, I'll just avoid eating them when she's in a room she can't leave for a while so I won't make it harder for her, and she'll likewise won't hang around if she happens across me while I'm eating.

I just don't want someone taking the you-can-lust-even-if-someone-is-fully-clothed fact and isolate it in their mind. That does not excuse anybody, guy or girl, from walking in their underwear in the house. Though I, personally, would never traumatize my family in such a way. :eyeroll: In the case of the girl bending over to pick up her quarter, that is a point where the guy is obligated to simply look away and not stare.

Nate (post: 1271618) wrote:One last thing. We all know that above all else, God looks at intent. This is why if you call your brother a fool, it's as bad as murder. The intent is the same. This is why if you say "Forget you" to somebody, it's as bad as "F*** you" to God. The intent is the same.

Right. Intent makes all the difference. Say someone comes across a girl lying in an alleyway who was raped, and her clothes have been removed. I mean, it would be insane for the person to reprimand the girl for not being clothed. It was never her intent to be naked in the first place. So even a girl wearing short shorts or a low-cut top may not be wearing those clothes to be tempting to a man, just like a girl bending over to pick something up isn't intending for some bystander to stare. Even if they were doing it to get someone to stare, their sin is on their own head. You yourself are still obligated to look away, even if the condemnation for staring may be less severe. We all have our part... But please, girls, think of the guys when you choose your outfits.

Again, intent makes all the difference.

Nate (post: 1271618) wrote:No showering until I'm married? You got it buddy!

:thumb: I was tempted to say something like this myself.
The greatest Christian manga of all time! http://gameplan.christianmanga.com/
Prince Asbel

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:47 pm

xblack_x_rosesx (post: 1271733) wrote:I dunno, I was just wondering what everyone thought of the idea is all =P.
Forgive me if this comes off coldly, but you don't appear to be interested in anyone's advice on the subject beyond You Go Girl. Your attitude in the OP might as well have been "I'm posing naked and getting a tattoo and you can't stop me," and I'm tempted to think you're being a just a little impulsive about these things.
Fish and Chips

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:14 pm

xblack_x_rosesx (post: 1271699) wrote:Meh...

So...
Dilemma 2:

I'm getting a tattoo of a pinup girl on my side (under my ribs). Its a girl with her legs in the air, and shes on the phone. Super cute, super pretty.

BUT, I was all "... pinups are... well... purely meant for sexual expression."

This kinda sounds like doubt to me <_> If not alot, then alittle O_O
So, is it wrong that I really like pinups? I mean, I think the girls are gorgeous, and I think it's a beautiful way to express their bodies... so... uhm..

Am I wrong in my thinking?

Another dumb question: Do you think you're wrong in thinking this? Answers are going to vary due to everyone having their own opinions, so it's best to sort it out on your own.. I mean, it's really up to you ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Mave » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:58 am

I don't know how much this will contribute to the conversation but I was reading up on David and Bathsheba during today's church sermon. In short, King David wanders around on the rooftop, peers downwards and sees pretty Bathsheba bathing. Next thing you know, he covets her as wife and arranges for her husband's death [read it for yourself - 2 Samuel 11].

What I thought was interesting is there was no mention of Bathsheba being blamed for King David's most famous slipup. Nathan pretty much slammed King David for 'stealing the precious lamb of the poor man.' It made me wonder why not pick on Bathsheba? I mean, "Lady, if you didn't bath in such a location that some dude can accidentally stumble upon your naked body, perhaps your poor husband Uriah would still be alive today."

But no, God placed all responsibility on King David. He should have turned away. He already had so many wives, why did he have to go after Bathsheba? I'm absolutely not saying that you can go forth and exhibit thy naked body, shifting the responsibility to your audience. This was an interesting observation nonetheless, and I have more thinking to do on this topic.

As for the tattoo, I'm afraid I don't find the description of the design cool-sounding but hey, that's just my conservative two cents. It probably looks better than it sounds.
Mave

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:45 am

Let me preface this by saying that I am in no way against tattoos, and have entertained the idea of getting one myself, though my indecision about a design means it will be years at best if it ever happens. I think tattoos can be artistic and cool when chosen well. That said . . .

Here's my thought about tattoos. Since humans are (with exceptions for physical inability) visual beings, one's body is associated with one's identity. We often make personal appearance decisions based on the identity we wish to create for ourselves and cultivate in others' impressions of us. Take my long hair, for example. I don't have super-long hair because I won't spend money on haircuts - I like the image of "unusual", "daring", and yes, even "bishounen" (yeah, I initially quit cutting my hair because of all the long-haired bishounen in manga - so sue me) that long hair on a guy can project. So far, I'm two for three with the hair. XD People choose clothes, glasses (or contacts), hairstyles or colors, fitness regimens, etc. to change their appearance to say something about them.

Let's now look at tattoos. A tattoo places an image or text onto your skin, which is a central part of your visual image. Real tattoos are nearly impossible to remove, and if you do, it is expensive and often leaves marks. For the vast majority of people, tattoos are for life. People choose tattoo designs to say something about them, too. They might get their girlfriend's name on their arm to signify their relationship. They might get designs that look wild to give a tough-guy image. Now, what do you suppose an image of a pin-up girl says about a girl who wears one? It would seem to me that the "pin-up girl" image is associated with the girl wearing the tattoo. Why are pin-up girls seen as appealing? Because they're sexually provocative. This goes without saying. Is this an image you want associated with you? I won't make any judgments about your character - I don't know you well enough to have any credibility, and I believe in giving you the benefit of the doubt, so I'm assuming your intentions are pure - but let's think this through, shall we? Getting an image with all its associations and connotations indelibly printed onto your body isn't a decision to be made lightly. (I guess this is the Communication Studies student in me talking, even if I'm leaving that department . . .)

I'd advise you to take a cue from our friend Savannah, who is (IIRC) designing her own tattoo with significant personal meaning. She's put a lot of thought into the process. I'd recommend you do the same.

Hey - I want to see you happy. That's why I'm saying this. I don't want you to be unhappy in the future because you regretted a decision you made in the past. I am firmly convinced that you will be happiest if you put a lot of thought into your choice of design first.

Have fun. ^_^

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Stephen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Real tattoos are nearly impossible to remove

Actually, from what I hear...they are getting much much easier to get rid of. Companies are making strides with some of these creams and whatnot. A guy I take kickboxing with actually used one, and it's almost completely gone. You can barely see it after they use that cream a few times.
Stephen

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:39 pm

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1271851) wrote:Let me preface this by saying that I am in no way against tattoos, and have entertained the idea of getting one myself, though my indecision about a design means it will be years at best if it ever happens. I think tattoos can be artistic and cool when chosen well. That said . . .

Here's my thought about tattoos. Since humans are (with exceptions for physical inability) visual beings, one's body is associated with one's identity. We often make personal appearance decisions based on the identity we wish to create for ourselves and cultivate in others' impressions of us. Take my long hair, for example. I don't have super-long hair because I won't spend money on haircuts - I like the image of "unusual", "daring", and yes, even "bishounen" (yeah, I initially quit cutting my hair because of all the long-haired bishounen in manga - so sue me) that long hair on a guy can project. So far, I'm two for three with the hair. XD People choose clothes, glasses (or contacts), hairstyles or colors, fitness regimens, etc. to change their appearance to say something about them.

Let's now look at tattoos. A tattoo places an image or text onto your skin, which is a central part of your visual image. Real tattoos are nearly impossible to remove, and if you do, it is expensive and often leaves marks. For the vast majority of people, tattoos are for life. People choose tattoo designs to say something about them, too. They might get their girlfriend's name on their arm to signify their relationship. They might get designs that look wild to give a tough-guy image. Now, what do you suppose an image of a pin-up girl says about a girl who wears one? It would seem to me that the "pin-up girl" image is associated with the girl wearing the tattoo. Why are pin-up girls seen as appealing? Because they're sexually provocative. This goes without saying. Is this an image you want associated with you? I won't make any judgments about your character - I don't know you well enough to have any credibility, and I believe in giving you the benefit of the doubt, so I'm assuming your intentions are pure - but let's think this through, shall we? Getting an image with all its associations and connotations indelibly printed onto your body isn't a decision to be made lightly. (I guess this is the Communication Studies student in me talking, even if I'm leaving that department . . .)

I'd advise you to take a cue from our friend Savannah, who is (IIRC) designing her own tattoo with significant personal meaning. She's put a lot of thought into the process. I'd recommend you do the same.

Hey - I want to see you happy. That's why I'm saying this. I don't want you to be unhappy in the future because you regretted a decision you made in the past. I am firmly convinced that you will be happiest if you put a lot of thought into your choice of design first.

Have fun. ^_^

.rai//

ahah so i started reading this with a rebuttal already on hand, because i thought you were going to say something about how tattoos are bad bla blah XDDD ...and then as i read i was like oh wait i agree with everything he's saying. XDDD

but yah, rai has a point. what you have tattooed on you really reflects you as a person. yah, what rai said is true, i'm in the middle of working on a tattoo. XD i've thought about it for a good couple years, and the meaning means a lot to me- its not just a design that i think is pretty or something. not saying people can't get tattoos cause they think its pretty.
i actually have two others in mind- but i'm holding them off for later cause the original reason was cause they were cool. but of course they were still christian ideas. one is a seraphim and the other is the long live the slaughtered lamb symbol. now i dunno if i want to get them yet... i mean i haven't even gotten my first one yet. but even though those other two are just 'cool,' they still say something about me as a person.

do you see what i mean XD

or am i just rambling?
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:30 pm

Naw, I get it.

Dewd.
I feel like... uhmmm... Mussolini. I guess. Or something.
I can't think of examples off the top of my head.

I don't feel like Mussolini in the sense that I want to be fascist or something (although that may be my obsession next week XP ) , but in the sense that I have some kind of inferiority issue and I end up agreeing with the last person who talks to me and makes sense XP

If that makes sense.?

Anyway, yeah, I get it.
I think I generally just wanted to throw that out there. Obviously there'd be a lot more thought into anything I do, it's just I'm all "Hey, I wanna see what these guys think, because I trust them more then I trust myself" kind of thing.

Now I'm just rambling =P

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby SnEptUne » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:20 pm

This is related to the physiognomic paradigm of society, that appearance determines a person's personality. But should we appeal to such paradigm and go so far as getting a tattoo just so people can associate us with a certain "personality", as if it is something we can construct?

In that case, are we conforming to the social idealogy that everything must be catagorized and prejudged? That because you have a dragon with sword tattoo on your arm you must be "tough" guy or lady?

If we are challenging the social injustice of segregation in the name of appearance, tattooing will actually reinforce it, not reduce it.

On the other hand, if it is for the name of style and arts, but considers that arts has always been about expression of social and cultural philosophy. In that case, is appealing to "artistic value" by its essence a fiction? Does a pure artistic value exist, or is it a mean for people to be ignorant of its social and cultural construction? I don't know.

I personally would not tattoo, just like I would not wear makeup. I am who I am, not who I am constructed to be.

If you still choose to get a tattoo, make sure the shops are licensed and certified by the medical community. Penetration of the human body is considered a surgury, and be sure to consider the risk of the operation. Don't be fool by the tattooist who claims it is all safe.
[SIZE="1"]Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs (1 Corinthians 13:4-5)[/SIZE]
SnEptUne

Previous

Return to General