30 hour famine: Seen it? Done it?

Talk about anything in here.

30 hour famine: Seen it? Done it?

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:23 pm

I ran across this when our youth leader sent it out to the sunday school teachers. Have any of you heard about this? It's a pretty interesting idea, that doesn't seem to be that tough to get rolling.

http://www.30hourfamine.org/

I'm really curious if any of you have heard about this, or have participated. Care to talk about it?
Mithrandir

Postby Slater » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:18 pm

I did this about 6 years ago. It was way too easy... kinda trivialized the concept of fasting if you ask me.
Slater

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:33 pm

Wow. 6 years ago? I didn't know it was that "old" a movement. Did you do this as part of a group experience, like a youth group, or something?
Mithrandir

Postby minakichan » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Did this with youth church group, a lot do it.

Yeah, 30 hours is too easy for relatively healthy people... (although I got hand cramps from volunteer work and couldn't use one for days =/) But I suppose that shouldn't be the whole point of it?
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Nightshade X » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:03 pm

Officially, I did it once. It was one of the most memorable and easily one of the best experiences I ever had.

Definitely one of my fondest memories of my youth...
Nightshade X

Postby goldenspines » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:01 pm

I've done this fast twice, back in my high school days(which was not that long ago now that I think about it. XD).
It was only a bit difficult for me, since I have low blood sugar(and get massive headaches if I go without food too long, I survived though ^_^), but I very much enjoyed it; mostly because of all the activites that were involved. My youth group would play team building games, go out and do service projects and stuff like that so our minds wouldn't be on how hungry we were, but instead on serving God by loving others.
I think that's the whole point of the 30 hour famine really. Not to do it alone, but to do it with other christians and have fellowship and build your relationship with God.

I wish I could do it again, but it's rather boring to do it alone. ^_^;
goldenspines

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:56 pm

I've never done this, but it sounds pretty cool ^ ^

Helping starving children is a great motivator 8D

I'm not sure if I can go 30hrs. without food, but I can certainly try ^ ^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby ich1990 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:12 pm

My Awana club did this a few times. I never participated, though. I always had something else going on.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby bakura_fan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:38 am

yeah...hmm. did it twice with my youth group when I was 14 and 15 (I think). Don't recall much except almost all night gaming, and the next morning going door to door in the community for canned foods, and then when it was all over, pizza was delivered! I still have the sweatshirt and wristband I got from it.
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby sharien chan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:11 am

My friends did it every year for many years. A lot of the youth groups in my area do this. I've never done it but I'd like to.
sharien chan

Postby Doubleshadow » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:32 am

I did this back in high school. I didn't find it hard at all to keep to fasting and raised some money for the cause. At our church, the funny thing was, we weren't all that eager to eat the next day! XD One of the members of our group was diabetic, so his mother fasted in his place.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:53 am

It's interesting to see how people with various caloric restrictions can participate. This is pertinent to my interests. ^.^ Thanks guys! If anyone else wants to contribute, I'm still continuing to keep track of this thread. :thumb:
Mithrandir

Postby Kaligraphic » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:09 pm

I've done this by accident a few times.

The organized version has to be a good 10 years old, at least, because I remember talking about doing it with my church youth group back in high school. (We never actually did it, though.)
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Phoebe » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:38 pm

I've done it like probably twice. . .
It was really fun; we had a lock down at are church
and we did alot of stuff(my youth group) to keep our minds off
the hunger it was pretty easy until someone started to complain. .
lol . . . .
Phoebe

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:32 pm

It's basically a yearly thing for my church's youth groups, so did it repeatedly back then.

Though I didn't find it difficult, that wasn't true for everyone. The important thing is that it raises awareness and it can definitely shake some people out of their apathy - I think most teenagers are able to understand that this is nothing like real hunger. Also, theoretically you spend the 30 hours learning about world hunger or doing something productive to help feed people.
uc pseudonym

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:55 pm

We're hardcore in Australia - we have the 40 Hour Famine.
I remember hearing people be involved in it over 10 years ago in primary school (maybe 12?), but I think that was less than 40 hours for the youngies.
I haven't done it, but I should.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby soul alive » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:56 pm

My youth group did it once or twice when I was in high school, but I was never allowed to participate - my folks wouldn't let me.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:06 am

I do this every year with a group from school (non religious, just... ya.)

For some reason we didn't do it this year.
I fasted for 30 hours though because I bought a leather belt and felt bad =P.

I liked it, it was fun. We did lots of activities, like bigger or better, where we started with a toothpick, went door to door asking people for one thing bigger or better, and then saw who ended up with the best thing.

My group ended up with a treadmill and a couch, and the other group ended up with some bedroom furnature and a kinda-dead laptop. We ended up donating everything to the native friendship centre =p.

It was fun, and rewarding cos we raised a lot of money too ^^

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Technomancer » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:58 am

It was a pretty popular thing at my old high school (although I was never involved beyond the odd donation). I can't remember all of the details of how it was administered however.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby oro! » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:55 pm

I did this in middle school a couple of times. It was good- and for me, a pretty chubby kid then, it was a deal. It really made me understand what a lot of kids do all the time, no choice.
So yeah, I think that it's a good object lesson.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:47 am

Mithrandir (post: 1269130) wrote:Wow. 6 years ago? I didn't know it was that "old" a movement. Did you do this as part of a group experience, like a youth group, or something?

Did something like this (it wasn't called this, but it was the same concept) two years in a row in High School, which would be about thirty years ago. Youth groups from about a dozen churches all got together and starved, while doing activities, over at Walnut Hill Lutheran's gym. We got a meager little bowl of pinto beans just before going home, just so we'd all experience together how awesome even a little bit of food could be after going without for that long.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Purplefire » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:04 am

First time I did the 30 Hour Famine was 12 years ago when I was still in high school. Now, I'm the youth leader for the junior high group and our group has done the activity 7 out of the last 8 years. It really is a great way to shake our students out of their apathy and to get their focus off themselves and to take a look at others. We plan all sorts of group activities to do together like scavenger hunts, lip sync competitions and service projects. It makes for a fun weekend.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Blue"]
^My webcomic[/color]
[color="Magenta"]"Try having pastries as your hair style." ~Purplefire[/color]
[color="Cyan"]"If you throw us in the fire, the God we serve can rescue us from your roaring furnace and anything else you might cook up, O king. But even if he doesn't, it wouldn't make a bit of difference, O king. We still wouldn't serve your gods or worship the gold statue you set up." Daniel 3:17-18[/color]
Purplefire

Return to General