Artists: would you do this?

Talk about anything in here.

Artists: would you do this?

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:45 pm

Sooo I'm starting to read more... regular books lately. and Today as I was re-reading one of my favorites, I got an idea and I wanted to knwo if anyone else has considered doing it or if my creative self has just...run amok?

We've all seen light novels from Japan, I'm sure. They usually have a few pages of illustrations in them. Has anyone ever considered drawing in the books that you own? Like your favorite scenes where there's a lot of space? Say, at the end of chapters?

I was just wondering because I have contemplated doing that with a few of my favorite books.
But I bet that's silly, right?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Robin Firedrake » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:10 pm

Might be might not be... I sure would if i could draw anything that wasn't a stickman :lol:
Robin Firedrake

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:14 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]I have thought about doing that, and I have done it a few times before. XDDD

It can be fun, but it can either greatly lower the value (for people who look at the pristine quality of the book), or it can heighten it (for people who like your arts. ^_^)[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby Robin Firedrake » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:19 pm

True true... But if you aren't planning on selling the book anytime soon and you would like the pictures for yourself why not?
Robin Firedrake

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:27 pm

I personally wouldn't, just because I don't like to make lots of stray marks in any of my books. I have illustrated certain characters/scenes from books before, though, in my sketchpad. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby David » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:42 pm

Iv'e doodled in my books all the time. Not on purpose so it's funny when I draw on something I'm not supposed to and then remember the rule and attempt to erase as best as possible.
David

Postby minakichan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:58 pm

How many books have enough free space to draw anything in?!

And not really. Any books that I would enjoy enough to feel compelled to doodle in, I'd want to reread in the future, and looking back at art I did years ago is hecka embarrassing.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Robin Firedrake » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:57 pm

Looking at art i do now is embarrasing!
Robin Firedrake

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:59 pm

I did that once... In my highschool math book XDD It was light enough to erase off completely, but still.. BAD TSUKU D:<
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby MBlight » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:32 am

Tsukuyomi (post: 1266757) wrote:I did that once... In my highschool math book XDD It was light enough to erase off completely, but still.. BAD TSUKU D:<

:lol:

Sounds like my science book, but I thinks GeneD will testify that we doodled far too much to be able to erase it :rock:

Good memories...

As for actually drawing in my books... I've never thought of doing that... not that I'm good enough to any way:shake:
I am a Rat Activist!

My Blog: http://mhitchens.wordpress.com

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby Purplefire » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:47 am

I wouldn't draw in my favorite books because I don't feel that I have the ability to do my favorite character any type of artistic justice. I might sketch a scene in my art journal though if I get really inspired.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Blue"]
^My webcomic[/color]
[color="Magenta"]"Try having pastries as your hair style." ~Purplefire[/color]
[color="Cyan"]"If you throw us in the fire, the God we serve can rescue us from your roaring furnace and anything else you might cook up, O king. But even if he doesn't, it wouldn't make a bit of difference, O king. We still wouldn't serve your gods or worship the gold statue you set up." Daniel 3:17-18[/color]
Purplefire

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:38 pm

aww okay much just be me ^^;
Personally, I think it would be fun to see my older work in a book I really liked! That way I can remember when I read it...and stuff XD.

I dont' intend to sell my books so... XD

I dunno, it just seems to be more personally and stuff. like "This was what I imagined the very first time I read this scene!" Kind of thing.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby soul alive » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:45 am

I totally get what you mean, about wanting to visually conceptualize characters and scenes from a book. I can't hardly read a book anymore without having to restrain myself.

Though, my books are my babies. I freak out if the cover or a page gets bent, let alone marking in them. I'm all for drawing in the sketchbook though.

Off topic: in the book 'Letters from Rifka', the title character writes home in the margins of a book of poems by Pushkin, intending to give the book/letters to her family when she meets back up with them.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Maledicte » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:53 pm

I've seen some really nice "book art," where the person draws something over the writing of the book, usually in conjunction with the subject of the book. Like dreams or psychological concepts in a psychology book. Makes for some pretty interesting art.

Myself, I love both words and pictures equally, and so keep them separate, unless they are a comic.
Maledicte

Postby Gabriel 9.0 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:03 am

I did it once or twice
Some of my favorite scriptures.

Psalm91
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

Hebrews 4-4
1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

James 4
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Gabriel 9.0

Postby Taliesin » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:12 am

Just draw on a piece of paper and stick it into the book. That way you can just remove it, and it still has all the advantages. Make sure you cut it down to size so it doesn't stick out, though.
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby Sparrowhawk » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:02 am

If I could draw decently I maybe would do it, but no, not with my artistic ability.
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby F.M Disciple » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:22 am

In the past I would ligthly sketch something in my book's. But today that's not the case.

what I do now is highlight certin passages in my text books or write questions/cometeries. but that's usualy the only markings I now make in my books.

Whenever I want to really draw something I'll whip out my sketch book.

However I don't think you are alone. when I recieved old books for school in the past
I would find little doodles made from previous students that forgot to earse them.
F.M Disciple

Postby PrincessZelda » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:08 am

I probably wouldn't do it in the actual book itself, buuut... I have lots of times thought of how cool it would be to draw certain scenes from books. I never really get around to actually drawing them, though XD
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Mave » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:15 am

Interesting question: I have never done this before.

If I was inspired by a book to draw, I would draw on a separate paper sheet but I would never draw directly into the book itself.

I do make highlights and pencil/pen notes at the side of the pages though (including my old grubby-looking bible).
Mave

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:30 am

If I thought I could do it well enough, I might. That'd be pretty cool
Shao Feng-Li

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:53 pm

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:44 pm

That would actually be pretty cool. I never thought about that. Have little drawings throughout the pages that relate to the story (or maybe don't) I wouldn't do it in a book that wasn't a hard back though. Anyway, that would be cool. I'm gonna do that ^_^ I have this huge book with Edgar Allen Poe stories, nice white pages, plenty of space for doodles... That was the first book that popped in my head when I read this idea. I almost felt like I was sinning the other day just writing my name in one of my books when I was lending it out. I really liked it when I did it though. It was fun to write in.

Plus I think it would be fun for anyone who borrowed the book or happened to get a hold of it later down the line. I always liked looking at all the doodles and stuff in library books in elementary school. Particularly stuff that was dated. Or looking at all the names of the people who checked the book out in the past that checked the book out 5-10 years before or whatever and wondering where they were now or who they were.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Amzi Live » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:52 pm

I read an essay that dealt with a much similar topic.
It debated whether you truly owned a book if you didn't mark in it,and made notes in the adjacent blank spaces. It explained that to properly own a book one must first have clearly in their minds what does it mean exactly to own a book.According to the author there are three kinds of book owners.
The first one owns all the best sellers,and classics plus the books that "you just need to have",but he doesn't read any of them.The author says that this person only own"woodpulp,and ink".
The second type of owner has a lot of books,some of them read,but most of them only dipped into.This person might want to be able to make those books "his own" but is kept back by the false respect of their physical appearance.
The third type has few or many(it could vary),but has read everyone of them,and are totally marked,and scribbled.According to Mortimer J Adler(the author) this person owns the book.

Although this essay is aimed at marking book to gain the idea or essence of it I don't think your case is much more different.

CK,you are an artists,and I'm lead to believe this by the idea that you just had. I think it would be cool to draw in your novels(or any books) cause it would be a way to mark it as yours. Plus,I've seen that things that artists had usually tends to have a uniqueness to them because its owner did something to it or marked it as his/her. This gives them a greater value.
Or so I think.
Oh,here's the link of the essay http://radicalacademy.com/adlermarkabook.htm
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Return to General