Sugar Gliders: Help Needed

Talk about anything in here.

Sugar Gliders: Help Needed

Postby USSRGirl » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:54 am

Okay... so I woke up this morning and there was a message for me on the machine from a woman who got my number out of the animal shelter and needed to rehome a sugar glider (long story short, the local shelter doesn't take anything besides cats, dogs, and rabbits so I told them I'd take the litte buggers... though I was more thinking of hamsters, guinea pigs, and lizards to be honest. o__O). My soon-to-be glider friend is a 2-year-old neutered male who's live his whole life without another glider and according to the current owner (who rescued him from a high school girl who dumped him, but she's moving now and can't take glider-chan with her) he has never shown stress or health problems outside of being a little chattery and nervous in new situations.

So. I get a new marsupial resident on Tuesday. I know the basics on gliders, but I've never owned one myself. I'm probably going to call my vet later today and ask them a few questions, but right now I'm doing some net research on gliders and looking for any and everything people with sugar glider experience have to offer!

Here are my main questions:

1.) Will glider-chan do alright alone, without another glider of his kind? He'll have me and my rodent-savy cat to play with and exercise him (I spend a heck of a lotta time with my rodents, so he'll never be at a want for attention), but is that enough? This is kind of a biggie, because I may need to rehome him to a home with other gliders if he can't get along alone.

2.) Diet. Food. As I understand it, it goes something like this; pellets always available, fruit/veggie and protein supplement (egg, meat, cricket, mealworm, store-bought protein, baby food... I'd prefer the non-buggy suggestions if anyone has some. XD) daily in the evening. Is this right?

3.) Anything else you got. I'm getting his vet records on Tuesday - he should be in good health. I was also told that glider-chan makes a "demonic noise" when he's upset. o__O

Any commentary from glider afficionados would be greatly appreciated!

-Temulin out
USSRGirl

Postby silver_wolf454 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:31 pm

I used to own a glider and she did just fine on her own. ^-^ I fed her fruits and baby food.

When they are mad they make a sound like a car trying to start XD

They like pouches :3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE="3"][color="Green"]Banner art by: Shao-Feng-Li[/color][/SIZE]

"I am but mad north-north west. When the wind is southerly....I know a hawk from a handsaw."- Hamlet, Shakespeare's Hamlet

[color="DarkOrchid"] "There's rosemary - that's for remembrance. And there is pansies - that's for thoughts." [/color] -Ophelia, Shakespeare's Hamlet
silver_wolf454

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:47 pm

you've heard all i have to say on this subject. XD

if you want anymore info you can totally ask me! i want pictures!

EDIT: those 'demonic noises' is actually called crabbing. XD its very common.
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby sharien chan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:52 pm

chibiphonebooth (post: 1269455) wrote:you've heard all i have to say on this subject. XD

I knew I'd find you in here Savannah
sharien chan

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:55 pm

ahahahhahaha XD yaaaah,....
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby USSRGirl » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:01 pm

silver_wolf454 (post: 1269444) wrote:I used to own a glider and she did just fine on her own. ^-^ I fed her fruits and baby food.

Glad to hear that. I think he'll do fine as on his own since I've had several people and glider sites I E-mailed tell me not to worry about it. ^__^

Chibi - XD Yes, those sites helped immensely. I love those beautiful pictures on that one sight - the white gliders are so cute! O.O

Well, I go down to meet the little fella tomorrow, so hopefully all will go well!
USSRGirl

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:14 pm

chibiphonebooth (post: 1269455) wrote:you've heard all i have to say on this subject. XD

LOL I saw this thread and I said to myself "Savannah will be in the first 3 posts!" XDDD

Anyways, congrats on the new pet! Post pictures when you get him/her!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby chibiphonebooth » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:45 pm

USSRGirl (post: 1269677) wrote:Glad to hear that. I think he'll do fine as on his own since I've had several people and glider sites I E-mailed tell me not to worry about it. ^__^

Chibi - XD Yes, those sites helped immensely. I love those beautiful pictures on that one sight - the white gliders are so cute! O.O

Well, I go down to meet the little fella tomorrow, so hopefully all will go well!

i'm glad they helped! 8D

i know, i really would love to get a white one or like one of those cinnamon-y looking ones *3*

you know... if uhhhh... the glider doesn't work out for you... i'll gladly take it. XDDDDD
ImageImageImage

chibiphonebooth

Postby rocklobster » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:51 pm

USSRGirl, I just thought of another name for the squirrel! It's Momo, short for momogana, the Japanese word for flying squirrel. It's also the name of the flying squirrel in Samurai Champloo.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:20 am

Sugar gliders aren't squirrels and they are native to Australia. I don't know of anyone who keeps them as pets, other than those who nurse babies back to health after their mothers have died (on the roads or whatever).
They are native and wild so I'm not sure they would make a very good pet (despite the cuteness factor).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby chibiphonebooth » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:37 am

actually, warrior, they make really good pets. :]

once they get to know you you have a bonded friend for a long while! The don't want to leave your side.
ImageImageImage

chibiphonebooth

Postby USSRGirl » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:58 pm

Well, I am now the proud owner of a beautiful little suggie. I am so thrilled right now - this turned out way better than I expected. He's a beautiful smoky silver boy and I love him more than a Marxist takeover. ^__^ He just got home not long ago and he 's doing awesome! Stuffing himself on Frosted Minnie Wheats and honey off my finger (which worked really well XD). He crabs at me for cuddling him (right now I'm letting him rest/adjust) though. XP He's already met my cat, Tifa, and being that her reaction upon meeting her new baby brother was incredibly... not interested... he seems to have concluded that she's some kind of mobile plant or inanimate object. o__O

W4J - Suggies are actually pretty mainstream in the U.S. now, about on the level of domesticated ferrets as pets (except that gliders don't carry disease and are much easier to tame/bond with than a ferret from what I understand). Some states do have restrictions on them (but lucky for me I live in a state where you can legally own grenade launchers... XD)Still, they are a little more into the "exotic" realm and definitely shouldn't be bought on a whim for cuteness value as that was apparently more or less what happened to this guy for a good part of his life (teenage girl's parents bought him for her, she was scared of him and never even touched him. He warmed up to his rescue owner who was the one who gave him to me because she's moving elsewhere in the state and works during the day and can't spend much time with him).

Whooo. Thanks for all the help guys! I'm still working on a name for him (Momo is a little girly for a male XD). His name right now is Hyphi, but I'll probably change it to either Zhuge Liang or L. I'll post some pics once I get around to it. I'm love 'im though - he came at just the right time since I've been down and wanting another pet after my dog died. His caretaker said she felt like we were a perfect match. ^.^
USSRGirl

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:08 pm

I would like to see pictures of this cuteness.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Lil_Ninja » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Yay sugar glider~! I soo want to see pictures ^^

(btw, Momo is also the name of the monkey in The Avatar ^^)
[SIZE="5"][color="Blue"]~[/color][color="Lime"]K[/color][color="Blue"]Y[/color][color="Lime"]L[/color][color="blue"]L[/color][color="lime"]A[/color][color="blue"]H[/color][color="lime"]A[/color][color="blue"]N[/color][color="blue"]~[/color][/SIZE]
[color="cyan"][SIZE="5"]42[/SIZE][/color]
[color="royalBlue"][SIZE="1"]The meaning of life,
the universe,
and everything.[/SIZE][/color]
Lil_Ninja

Postby chibiphonebooth » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:34 pm

PICTURES OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

i wannaa seeee
ImageImageImage

chibiphonebooth

Postby Robin Firedrake » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:52 am

I wanna see too!
Robin Firedrake

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:34 pm

I'm sure they're awesome but I don't feel comfortable with Australian native animals being sold overseas as pets. Our animals are very cool but also their eating habits are pretty unique (and some ingredients can't be found elsewhere).
It's a mixed feeling for me.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:20 pm

Why? It happens with nearly many dogs and cats. Does that bother you?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby chibiphonebooth » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1270064) wrote:I'm sure they're awesome but I don't feel comfortable with Australian native animals being sold overseas as pets. Our animals are very cool but also their eating habits are pretty unique (and some ingredients can't be found elsewhere).
It's a mixed feeling for me.

yes, they require very special food diets, but you can easily duplicate it. i'm on a sugar glider forum that has everything that is required for a healthy and happy diet. :]
ImageImageImage

chibiphonebooth

Postby sharien chan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:49 pm

Savannah. I like how I can go to you for information on like any animal and you can tell me how to take care of it properly...
sharien chan

Postby chibiphonebooth » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:13 pm

XD;; i wouldn't go as far as THAT... but 2 years at a pet shop.. i learned a bit. :]
ImageImageImage

chibiphonebooth

Postby sharien chan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:14 pm

Every time I need animal advice its like call up Savannah! She'll know!
sharien chan

Postby USSRGirl » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:22 pm

chibiphonebooth (post: 1269899) wrote:PICTURES OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

i wannaa seeee

Aw, crap. You got me. The glider was a hallucination. Oh, and by the way... I just found out]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f270/USSRGirl/Sephi.jpg[/IMG]

I'll take some better ones once I get batteries in my camera again.
USSRGirl

Postby Robin Firedrake » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:28 pm

Cuuuuuuuuute..... Daaaaaaaaaw....
Robin Firedrake

Postby chibiphonebooth » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:29 pm

*gasp* AHH HE'S SO CUTE I'M SO JEALOUS I WANT ONE D:
ImageImageImage

chibiphonebooth

Postby sharien chan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:33 pm

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
sharien chan

Postby USSRGirl » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:40 pm

You should check the local animal shelter - you might get lucky and get a freebie or a cheap one. ^.^

Yesss... fear his cuteness.
USSRGirl

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:44 pm

Ryan, dogs and cats are different; they're more domestic animals. Native, wild animals on the other-hand require more work and need special diets (most of which can't be found in captivity.

But it's good to hear you know your stuff USSRGirl.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:05 pm

[quote="Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1270120)"]Ryan, dogs and cats are different]
Dogs and cats are not that really different. Perhaps a Sugar Glider is a wild animal, but how is a tame wild animal any different from any house cat or dog? And you don't know if some people prefer to spend more time with their pets than others. Reptiles and Snakes also need special diets, but there are many people who keep them as pets as well. Many people prefer unconventional pets anyway. XD

I think you feel that way simply because of the worldview that you developed via socialization in your life. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Peanut » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:27 pm

[quote="Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1270120)"]Ryan, dogs and cats are different]

If there is a market for the animals there is a market for whatever constitutes there diets. While it may be more difficult to find what is needed for them, I don't see how this would be a problem in today's age.

Anyway, congratulations on your new pet Temulin, hopefully it won't drop from the ceiling and stab someone in the back.:lol:
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Next

Return to General