Why does the 80's get so much ridicule?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Nate (post: 1265687) wrote:Did somebody just say the NES wasn't primitive in its day? O RLY? Hey, let's look at a screenshot comparison!

This is the game "Ghostbusters" for the NES.

Here is the exact same game on the Sega Master System, which was Sega's 8-bit system (in other words, the same level of power as the NES).

I say, could it be that the NES version looks like crap compared to the Master System version? Indeed, it is so!

The NES was primitive even FOR its day. The ONLY reason it became popular was because the games were better than the Master System's, otherwise, the Master System kicked the crap out of the NES in every other conceivable way (it's interesting to note though that the Master System was extraordinarily popular in Europe though).

Eh, I don't think the difference is so massively huge that I'd call the NES "primitive" by comparison. Inferior? Arguably. "Primitive"? No. I'd call Pong primitive, but it was a much earlier system, and was a development for its time. Also, matter of opinion, yadda yadda, not going to repeat my "opinion" bit.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Tarnish » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:03 pm

My lord in heaven, I make a post in a thread and dare to say the 80's really weren't all that great and some guy puts up an angry wall of text I am sooooooooo not going to read because the only people who can get away with that in my book are a few select authors, most of which are dead. Plus, it looks like it has a rickroll reference in it, which I think means I win, somehow.

I'm not gonna say I like the current generation that much, either. The 80's are just too easy to make fun of.

With that, I leave this pointless thread with a song.

It's the eiiiiiiighties....do a lot of coke and vote for Rooooonalld Reeaagan!
Tarnish

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:14 pm

Maybe if you weren't so mean-spirited about it, people wouldn't take offense. :)
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:16 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1265694) wrote:I wonder how many topics we can fit in this thread. It reeks of Internets.
How many topics does it take to adequately judge an entire decade? I'll be blunt here: like the current decade, the reason the 80's is such a good decade is because it is such a bad decade. In bad times, people are forced to be highly creative in coping with them, and so create excellent cultural artifacts to help themselves get through it. There's not a doubt in my mind that 20 years from now, people will probably look upon the current decade with the same kind of nostalgia and contempt we have for the 80's.
GhostontheNet

Postby Stephen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:24 pm

Tarnish wrote:My lord in heaven, I make a post in a thread and dare to say the 80's really weren't all that great and some guy puts up an angry wall of text I am sooooooooo not going to read

Because if you ignore it, it's not really there. Thankfully we don't have mics on CAA. Otherwise, that would be O'Reilly-ish.
Stephen

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:25 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1265683) wrote:So yeah, in spite of all the complete rubbish my forum mates have written, I don't know why the 80's are so hated on. The worst thing I can think of is the doubly elected Ronald Reagan, but having doubly elected George Bush in our own decade, we don't really have a high ground to stand upon.
In This Thread: Ghost takes it political.

Wait, my bad, that's every thread.
Fish and Chips

Postby ich1990 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:30 pm

For great justice:

Also, Pink Tux to the Prom.

And before anyone asks, yes, I was alive during the 80's. I just wasn't born yet.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:36 pm

I think the strange fashion of the 1980's and the stranger hairstyles have something to do with it. There's a lot of good things from the 1980's, there's a lot of bad things from there as well, just like every other decade of the 20th century.

Great movies, great music, but the hair and fashion is, to me, is just irredeemable.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:47 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1265681) wrote:Can, did, still do. It's hideous. It was goofy in the '80s, now it's just sad. Besides, all the scene girls look the same... Why not try for some originality?

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:04 pm

Tarnish (post: 1265703) wrote:My lord in heaven, I make a post in a thread and dare to say the 80's really weren't all that great and some guy puts up an angry wall of text I am sooooooooo not going to read because the only people who can get away with that in my book are a few select authors, most of which are dead. Plus, it looks like it has a rickroll reference in it, which I think means I win, somehow.

I'm not gonna say I like the current generation that much, either. The 80's are just too easy to make fun of.

Well, at least you've clued us in on the mind-altering stimulants used in the making of this post. Heavens to Betsy if you aren't the most timid reader I've ever seen. Plus, it looks like you make an outrageously derivative reference to Jim Carey's comedic style, so it becomes clear that I am certainly the victor of this thread. With that, I will remain in the fray with a song from the 80's:

"When you think your toys have gone berserk
it's an illusion you cannot shirk
you hear laughter cracking through the walls
it sends you spinning, you have no choice"

-Siouxsie & The Banshees, "Spellbound"
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:28 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1265708) wrote:In This Thread: Ghost takes it political.

Wait, my bad, that's every thread.
Well, like the Post-Punks always emphasized, the personal is political, and vice versa. Because power relationships are universal, there is very little we can do that is not in some way political. While we may remain ignorant of the way power relationships affect us and we affect others through power relationships, this does not change the basic sociological fact that civilization is a network of power relationships. And because the leader of a nation will have a significant impact upon that nation, the character of the age will largely define itself directly or indirectly in relation to the ideas and policies of that leader. As such, mentioning the leader of an age in discussing the character of that age is perfectly reasonable, and I need not place any stock in your sneering remarks.
GhostontheNet

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:17 pm

ich1990 (post: 1265711) wrote:For great justice:

This.

And I don't care what any of your views on politics are, they are not to be talked about on CAA. Read the rules, guys. I won't lock this thread yet, but if this continues, know that that's where it's headed.

To put us back on track, the best thing to happen in the 80s was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIzUD7FKcBk
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:23 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1265724) wrote:Well, like the Post-Punks always emphasized, the personal is political, and vice versa. Because power relationships are universal, there is very little we can do that is not in some way political. While we may remain ignorant of the way power relationships affect us and we affect others through power relationships, this does not change the basic sociological fact that civilization is a network of power relationships. And because the leader of a nation will have a significant impact upon that nation, the character of the age will largely define itself directly or indirectly in relation to the ideas and policies of that leader. As such, mentioning the leader of an age in discussing the character of that age is perfectly reasonable, and I need not place any stock in your sneering remarks.
Regretfully, while the air of your largely self-inoculated rampant sesquipedalism carries the unspoken influence that there is a reasoned cognitive process behind your barrage of applicative verbose vocabulary, it is insufficient to sweep under the rug your own dismissive ignorance of this board's established doctrine of zero tolerance towards public political dissection and discussion as outlined clearly in its operating policies which I am confident a man of your academic stature would normally be impressed upon to respect, if perhaps not personally condone. Alas, your futile attempts to weasel in your socio-political agenda into this only remotely related topic of discussion have proved to be laughably unsuccessful, if at the very least amusing in their heretofore previously documented laughable nature. Unless, of course, you can indeed provide documentation as to the cruel influence of a massively encompassing government project corrupting the state of mundanely bizarre hairstyling and like fields of interest.
Fish and Chips

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:28 pm

Stephen (post: 1265707) wrote:Because if you ignore it, it's not really there. Thankfully we don't have mics on CAA. Otherwise, that would be O'Reilly-ish.

**** IT! WE'RE GOING LIVE!
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Evran » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:35 pm

It seems I'm late to the party, but I would say the 80s had plenty of good things going for it. I'll concede on the fashion being terrible though...

Radical Dreamer (post: 1265730) wrote:To put us back on track, the best thing to happen in the 80s was this:

"This video is not available in your country." What? When did they start doing this craziness? :/

I'm gonna need someone to do up an impromptu ASCII art interpretation of the video. Post haste.

EDIT: Grammar :/. On a roll today it seems.
Evran

Postby MoonRock Dragon » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:56 am

And something came which caused people to look as anime being bad and caused alot of conterverse ........ (My last user name was the name of it).
MoonRock Dragon

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:01 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1265730) wrote:
To put us back on track, the best thing to happen in the 80s was this:

Oo yes I agree... brilliant video. I actually just watched that the other day thinking how they should do a whole movie like that... A musical or action type something...

Anyway, yes the hair, the music, the fashion etc was horrible... but thats why I love it ^_^ If I were to make a movie I'd love to set it in the 80s. That would be so fun to do, weird styles, neon lights.. plus all the cheesy good songs you could throw in there (And I Ran, DownUnder <--- This song is the best, Man Eater, Africa, Manic Monday, Some Like it Hot, Sweet Dreams, Cindy Lauper, R.E.M., Madonna, The Police etc). Yes the 80s are a guilty pleasure of mine :D I wouldn't mind owning that 150 song set from Time or whatever... all the big hits from the 80s or whatever. Wish it came with the music videos too though.

Plus some of the best movies came from the 80s... You know, The Terminator (This scene is the best... it's sooo 80s), Aliens, The Dark Crystal, The Last Unicorn (with good ol dated 80s songs throughout)... Oh and the tv series... HE-MAN!!! ("...by the power of Grayskull... I HAAAVE THE POWEEEER!!) Transformers.... sigh.. good stuff (ya I think the cartoons are cheesy and stupid today and no I wouldn't buy a series but its fun to watch an episode every now and then).

And it was a very good decade anyway just because, well.. that was when I came into this beautiful world ^_^
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby termyt » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:13 am

Fashion trends are always horrible. I, for one, will take great delight in what is said when the emo stuff is finally fair game in another decade or so. Not that I want to wreck anyone’s self esteem or anything non-pc like that, but what fashion generation doesn’t take itself too seriously?

My favorite taglines from the current generation:
“That’s right, you are a complete individual exactly like the 20 other kids I’ve seen today that look and talk exactly like you.”
“Since I do not agree with your world view, I’m not a free thinker? To have free thought I have to agree with you?”
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:31 am

Tarnish (post: 1265703) wrote:My lord in heaven, I make a post in a thread and dare to say the 80's really weren't all that great and some guy puts up an angry wall of text I am sooooooooo not going to read because the only people who can get away with that in my book are a few select authors, most of which are dead. Plus, it looks like it has a rickroll reference in it, which I think means I win, somehow.

Wall of text? Maybe. Angry? Someone's exaggerating things . . .

Also, "some guy" has a moniker that it is generally considered polite for you to use.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby chibiphonebooth » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:43 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1265731) wrote:Regretfully, while the air of your largely self-inoculated rampant sesquipedalism carries the unspoken influence that there is a reasoned cognitive process behind your barrage of applicative verbose vocabulary, it is insufficient to sweep under the rug your own dismissive ignorance of this board's established doctrine of zero tolerance towards public political dissection and discussion as outlined clearly in its operating policies which I am confident a man of your academic stature would normally be impressed upon to respect, if perhaps not personally condone. Alas, your futile attempts to weasel in your socio-political agenda into this only remotely related topic of discussion have proved to be laughably unsuccessful, if at the very least amusing in their heretofore previously documented laughable nature. Unless, of course, you can indeed provide documentation as to the cruel influence of a massively encompassing government project corrupting the state of mundanely bizarre hairstyling and like fields of interest.

bahahahahahahhahahahahahaha XD

[SIZE="1"](and this is all i'm contributing to this thread. l8r sk8rz)[/SIZE]
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby ClosetOtaku » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:45 pm

If you thought the fashions were bad in the '80s, you should have seen the late '60s/early '70s... :eyeroll:

Actually, I didn't mind living through the '80s (they did beat the '70s in a lot of ways). The big hair and crazy clothes weren't really worn that much by most of us -- just the folks on stage and TV it seems.

And "LA Law" beats out "CSI" any day (although "Law and Order" tops 'em both).

And, surprisingly, my 18-year-old daughter thinks that a lot of the best music came out before 1990. For the most part, I agree.

OK, back to lurking...
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby AsianBlossom » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:35 pm

rocklobster (post: 1265596) wrote:so why does my childhood get so much ridicule?

The New Coke. It's gotta be the New Coke. XD

Or at least it COULD be...
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:50 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1265716) wrote:Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

That, or "The same strokes for all the scene folks" Emo too, they're in this group. And Termyt, they're fair game now. Though I do find Katy Parry strangely attractive with her kind of but not Emo / scene style and sarcastic pop music... GAH

Also, for the 3 of you out there (me included) who actually watched "That '80s Show", Cory's fashion was fine. His sister's was fine... It was *shiver* Sophia... Oh, and everyone on Star Search. *hurk*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:58 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1265834) wrote:That, or "The same strokes for all the scene folks"

I've never seen such individualism before :|
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:01 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1265836) wrote:I've never seen such individualism before :|

The only true individualists are the nerds and the "are they trying to be hippies, then what's up with that boar's head on their living room wall?" crowd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby ADXC » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:43 pm

I got it, the movie Wargames was pretty good.
ADXC

Postby Nate » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:26 pm

ITT: What the hell are people talking about?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mave » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:23 am

If you have been picked on for being an 80s child. it is my theory that these poor folks have run out of things to make fun of from today's generation (i.e. gender, race, age, political view, the color of your T-shirt...etc), thus the desperate need to tap into any generation to seek some sense of superiority. I feel sorry for these ppl but I also generally ignore them.

If some other folks, however, are looking back at the 80s generation and are having a hearty laugh at how primitive and different things were in the past, I'll join them. Most of us are doing that right now in this thread. I mean, it was the PAST and certain standards were different. Some hairstyles and MTVs were funny, but I do think we had a lot of good things come out from that blessed decade such as cartoons, movies and music I still enjoy today.

With that said, I am an 80s child and no one has ever picked on me for being one. ;)
Mave

Postby CAAOutkast » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:36 am

despite it's faults,The 80's was great. If you have to ridicule a decade,ridicule the 50's or the 60's. However,even though the 80's rocked,the 90's rocked even more.
CAAOutkast

Postby David » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:56 am

Are you kidding me? the 80s is going to come back in style (just watch it) It will be more "modernized" but it's the same old stuff. Eras are interesting because they have references from past eras.
David

Previous Next

Return to General