How to Take This Advice on Writing?

Talk about anything in here.

How to Take This Advice on Writing?

Postby AsianBlossom » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi. For a while, I've been struggling to find an engaging story and characters to write a fictional novel about. Despite the fact that I've come up with several ideas (a few of them clever), I just seem to get bored with them or think they won't work at the moment, or I think that my style of writing characters is artificial, awkward, or just plain boring or stupid.

And then I think about that age-old advice: "write what you know." Well, gee, thanks, but why is what I know something other people would want to read? What do I know about that's exciting? Heck, what do I know that I'd want to read/write about? And then I don't get anywhere. -_-*

So what is it that makes what you know exciting? Why would anyone want to read about someone else's life? Can someone please give me any bit of advice on what I can do to shake up my perspective and, like Nishi-san said in Whisper of the Heart, "find some real gems" to write about? I'd appreciate it, thanks.
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:21 pm

hmm...

This might be difficult to understand, but occasionally in life one finds moments that, while they may not be beautiful, are worth preserving. For example, I had a dream of a painting in three panels, of a boy becoming a wolf attacking a monster. The caption read in the third panel read: "With all his might, he turned into a wolf...but it was too late". Now, how does that make most people feel? It doesn't; but the emotions I felt in that dream were powerful ones, so my goal now is to reproduce that feeling in other people.

Something easier to understand is this: Write an outline. Write an actual basic outline, what you want your characters to be like, the story to be about, your goals. Show on paper what you know, and build from there. Inspiration comes eventually, but for you right now it might be best just to work from this basic formula.
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby AsianBlossom » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:32 pm

Basic formula, huh? That sounds good. I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:17 pm

Make knowing more things your goal.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Esoteric » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:28 pm

I'm no expert, but 'writing what you know' doesn't mean you have to write about being a cashier at McDonalds or whatever your job is. It means draw from your personal experiences.
For example, let's say you're writing about a knight who's been ordered to broker peace talks with a barbarian horde. The barbarians are super obnoxious and frustrating...perhaps not unlike some fast food customers we may have encountered. Drawing inspiration from personal thoughts and difficulties lends believability and interest to character reactions. Makes them seem more real, more interesting. That's what people connect to. They want to be able to relate to characters. That's what you know which is of interest.

Now, it is true to an extent that someone who's studied, say...medicine will have a much easier time and perhaps write a more successful story about an ER doctor. Research is important for credibility when you get into certain areas of writing.

But as far as what to write...what interests you? Really, that's the best place to start. Write and don't worry about sounding stupid or anything. It's very hard for an author to judge their own work accurately. That's what feedback is for. Get as many people as you can to read your stories and offer input--especially other writers. They will help you hone your skills and your story. I hope that helps.
Esoteric

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:23 pm

I believe that pieces of everything I read, watch, listen to, and learn in school end up in and influence my writing whether I realize it or not. I suggest reading, watching, and listening to things that make you think. With me, music is very inspirational and I'll often get new ideas or have some kind of insight into my characters because of the music. I often see the same scenes over and over in terms of AMVs, XD. Now, I look into the lyrics of songs and the majority of what I listen to is actually poetry as opposed to the same line repeated over and over again. The same goes with what I read and watch.

Or that might be my analytical side critically looking at everything I do, XD. But learning how to analyze is helpful, too. It's helped me know exactly what I'm putting into my writing on a deeper level than just characters and plot.

All of this might be over your head or something right now, XD. On a simpler level, outlining and just writing out whatever you have, even if you think it sucks, will help you greatly.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby USSRGirl » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:42 pm

I think Esoteric hit the nail on the head. Part of the fun of "writing what you know" is taking ideas, personalities, observations from boring, mundane life and turning them into something cool. Example: what if that demonic gadget-happy chem prof I so despise succeeded some tyrant as ruler of the world? o.O Would we all be consumed by dystopian bureaucracy? And what if one lone subversive with a squimish personality like that Siberian Husky I work with decided to rebel? And if I were to plant my own personality as a bystander... would I be rallying Husky's troops out of Inigo Montoya style vengeance against an old grudge held with said demonic chem prof overlord?

... uh... XD *back to reality* But yeah... that's the way I look at it. I don't know if it necessarily *improves* a person's writing but it does help to get some ideas by applying concepts or personalities from real life into a fictious setting (like "if I were this character, how would I react right now..." or "if so-and-so were my character, what would they do..."). In a story I'm kinda working on, one of my [human] characters ended up having a "cat-ish" personality almost unintentionally, maybe because I'm so used to the moodswings, attitude/independence issues, and jittery/paranoid behavior of a cat. You really don't need to have life shattering experiences to get something fun out of everyday stuff. So write on!

Till then... *dons shield* Hello, I am Temulin Montoya. You killed my Friday. Prepare to die.
USSRGirl

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:57 pm

Temmy wrote:Example: what if that demonic gadget-happy chem prof I so despise succeeded some tyrant as ruler of the world? o.O Would we all be consumed by dystopian bureaucracy? And what if one lone subversive with a squimish personality like that Siberian Husky I work with decided to rebel? And if I were to plant my own personality as a bystander... would I be rallying Husky's troops out of Inigo Montoya style vengeance against an old grudge held with said demonic chem prof overlord?

And that, in essence, is how the first grains of a story idea come to you. I was sitting in class the other day and the professor was talking about Plato's idea of a utopian society. Suddenly, a cast of old characters from an old story of mine were just like "o hay we has a stry bout this." Of course, things about utopian societies are incredibly cliched, but that's okay because most ideas start off with cliches anyway. It's what you do with those cliches that either makes your stories interesting or just like everything else.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby USSRGirl » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:05 pm

*coughcough*Plato was a commie... that was no republic he described *coughcough*

But, yeah, exactly Rushia! It gives you that little spark of an idea to kick you out of a creative block. It's kinda fun to try and draw ideas from random things around you.
USSRGirl

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:21 pm

USSRGirl (post: 1262245) wrote:*coughcough*Plato was a commie... that was no republic he described *coughcough*

But, yeah, exactly Rushia! It gives you that little spark of an idea to kick you out of a creative block. It's kinda fun to try and draw ideas from random things around you.

My point was that a single word can trigger an epic plot rushing through your head in like two seconds. Whether or not the story has anything to do with the context of that word is up to you/the characters.

One thing I did recently was thought of a random object to use as conventional symbolism that no one else would use, so I picked paper towels and a poem came out of it that isn't really about paper towels but uses them sort of. Inspiration is weird, so just keep your mind open for it. Also, ask God for inspiration and for Him to be a part of what you write. That's really been helping me this past year.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:30 pm

Since I write sci-fi and fantasy, writing what I know would be problematic if I took it so literally.

I think the "write what you know" axiom must have been invented by a mainstream fiction writer. He would have been encouraging someone to set their stories in places they knew, and make them about the sort of people and society they knew, rather than going for exotic locations and characters. In that context, it's pretty good advice.

Out of that context it doesn't make sense, unless you stop making it literal. The real advice isn't "Write what you know" but "Know what you write". If you are out of your element, research, research, research!

Last night I spent two hours exploring the Internet on the subject of ejector seats. Why? Because I had no idea how long ejecting from a fighter actually takes. Half a second, one second, five seconds... How could I not know that? Because, even though the characters in this story are fighter pilots... I'm not. And one stinking sentence in the last chapter of my story was going to sound stupid to t those more knowledgable on the subject unless I learned more.

USSRGirl (post: 1262245) wrote:*coughcough*Plato was a commie... that was no republic he described *coughcough*

By the definition of "Republic" that he was working from, it was a republic. It just doesn't fit the modern American definition.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Popsicle » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Well, I'm not a writer in a sense, but I do create stories and random plots all the time. I'm an artist though, and I do draw out scenes and characters that pertain to a story that I'm creating.

When it comes to creating interesting characters, I just make sure they are relatable in some way. I make sure that their reactions to events and actions would be realistic and I try not to make too many things cliche. But that's just me. Sometimes I throw bits of my personality into different characters too. It helps when developing their personality and it also connects you more with your characters. I know this probably sounds weird...but I feel like I know my characters like they are my friends, but on a deeper level. To me, they are almost like real people. I'm not a lunatic though and I don't see things that really aren't there! D:

Also, for writing the plot and developing characters and stuff...just study the world around you, the people around you, and analyze how events affect others. Use your imagination and be creative. Think out of the box. Be thick-skinned and take criticism well. Oh, and write down every single idea or piece of inspiration you find or think of. Keep those as reference and go back to them every so often. You'll be surprised at the new things you can think of. Also, pray pray pray. The Lord is full of ideas and I credit Him for most of mine.
Popsicle

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:35 pm

You see, you need to write what you want to write. If you think about "what others might think or want" or "making it to the top", writing loses its purpose and fun. You'll just create a carbon copy of someone elses work, which seems to be an increasing trend.

What makes what I know exciting? Er.... the fact that I came up with it, I guess.

I come up with ideas by brainstorming suspenseful moments. Then the whole story forms from that seed. That's not advice, just a method I use to come up with fairly interesting ideas.

The infamous "What If?" helps also.
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby Lady Kenshin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:05 pm

Your writing is the essence of your soul: your deepest emotions, your strongest beliefs, your darkest nights...

Maybe that makes no sense... but it's true.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby Gabriel 9.0 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:36 am

Well I go by what God guides me to write about. Add your own formula, study about what you wish to write about , more importantly pray earnestly on how to approach it, take your time and never rush the idea, so everything is in proper order.

Hope this was helpful, Godspeed my friend.
Some of my favorite scriptures.

Psalm91
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

Hebrews 4-4
1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

James 4
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Gabriel 9.0

Return to General