Japanese researchers work to make sci-fi space elevator a reality

Talk about anything in here.

Japanese researchers work to make sci-fi space elevator a reality

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:50 pm

space elevator

Dvice wrote:Yet another fictional invention from the late sci-fi author Arthur C. Clarke appears to be one step closer to reality. The Japan Space Elevator Association hopes to be instrumental in getting the first real working space elevator built, a device that Clarke imagined decades ago in his 1979 book "The Fountains of Paradise." The elevator, anchored by 22,000 mile long superstrong carbon nanotube cables, would link to a satellite in geostationary orbit, vastly reducing the cost of space travel and research by eliminating the need for costly rocket booster takeoffs.

In addition to transporting various payloads and spacecraft component parts for in-orbit assembly, the space elevator would also transport people, potentially kick starting a new wave of space tourism. Although several organizations around the world have also announced their intention to build such a mechanism, Japan's history of successful technical execution, plus a budget of around ten billion dollars makes the prospect of the space elevator suddenly seem like anything but fiction.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:05 pm

That would be so cool ^^ A bit (alot) out there, but nonetheless cool 8D

It would seem our world is becoming a bit more anime-ish every single day <3
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Lochaber Axe » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:01 pm

I personally wouldn't want to to be either going up or down that thing if an asteroid hits it. *Shudder* Some ideas should just stay in fiction.
Lochaber Axe

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:14 pm

Lochaber Axe (post: 1260805) wrote:I personally wouldn't want to to be either going up or down that thing if an asteroid hits it. *Shudder* Some ideas should just stay in fiction.

Lol, good point XDD
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:10 am

That's like saying "I wouldn't want to be riding in that car when it gets crashed into" or "I wouldn't want to be in that plane when it falls out of the sky". XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Kanerou » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:40 am

<3 the Japanese. They have awesome ideas. :grin:
"You've gotta speak about those things you don't currently see as though they already exist. Back in the beginning, God didn't look into space and say, 'Gee, it's dark.' He called light into existence."

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1218170) wrote:Also, I hope never to hear "Nate" and "prance" in the same sentence again . . .
Kanerou

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:50 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1260873) wrote:That's like saying "I wouldn't want to be riding in that car when it gets crashed into" or "I wouldn't want to be in that plane when it falls out of the sky". XD

+1. Life is full of risks. If we had said ideas should have been better left in the theoretical because of danger, we'd have missed out on a great many innovations.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:32 am

Plus the odds of an asteroid hitting it seem fairly slim to me. Man, that'd be so cool if they can finish it.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:45 am

So if this thing gets finished successfully...what reason will there be to go to space? Just to say "lol I've been to space and you haven't"? I'm waiting for them to actually build stuff up there.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:56 am

Presumably this would make it easier and cheaper to kickstart the whole research in space thing. We could do more work on the moon, perhaps even launch expeditions to Mars cheaper because of it.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Technomancer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:24 am

Lochaber Axe (post: 1260805) wrote:I personally wouldn't want to to be either going up or down that thing if an asteroid hits it. *Shudder* Some ideas should just stay in fiction.

It's really not asteroids that you have to worry about. Large pieces (say the size of a baseball) are pretty rare. The real concern should be the effects of micrometeorites. Something very small can do a lot of damage when travelling at high speeds]
So if this thing gets finished successfully...what reason will there be to go to space? Just to say "lol I've been to space and you haven't"? I'm waiting for them to actually build stuff up there.
[/quote]

Basically, it would drastically change the economics of operating in space. Right now, the per kilogram cost of putting something into space is extremely high. If that figure can be substantially reduced than many more sophisticated operations can be carried out (since you put up more stuff), and activities that were uneconomical in the past may be become profitable.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby User Name » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:56 pm

At this rate, science fiction may become science non-fiction.
User Name

Postby Doubleshadow » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:45 pm

Considering the rather high number of seminars I have attended referencing nanotubes, not to mention my own research into the subject for the sake of class work, I should have more to say, but I can't think of anything. I have been on campus for nearly twelve hours straight, and must now go proctor the gen. chem., after proctoring last week, because I volunteered to be nice. Darn my soft heart.

(@_@)...
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby That Dude » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:10 pm

There has also been indepent research on this conducted here in America.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:56 am

This is all really interesting stuff.

They should try to build space colonies. XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Lochaber Axe » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:21 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1260993) wrote:This is all really interesting stuff.

They should try to build space colonies. XD

Thats ok... but please. No radar evading giant blue, white, and red robots.

One doesn't need a new branch of physics to defeat radar... just paint it black and a little Purpose Shaping to reduce the RCS, and all is good.
Lochaber Axe

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:44 am

You're saying "no giant blue, white, and red robots" to a person with an Amuro Ray avatar? XD Eh, I'm just messing with you.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:43 pm

Technomancer (post: 1260886) wrote:Some of this was touched on in an article in IEEE Spectrum a few years ago (I'll try to find the reference later).

That would be much appreciated. :)

Technomancer (post: 1260886) wrote:Basically, it would drastically change the economics of operating in space. Right now, the per kilogram cost of putting something into space is extremely high. If that figure can be substantially reduced than many more sophisticated operations can be carried out (since you put up more stuff), and activities that were uneconomical in the past may be become profitable.

That is arguably something to look forward to.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Technomancer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:31 pm

The Spectrum article appeared in the August 2005 issue under the title "A Hoist to the Heavens". The most important thing to take away is the current launch costs are ~$20,000 / kg. NASA's projections for a single elevator move launch costs to $200 / kg, and possibly down to $10 / kg if multiple elevators are in service.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Return to General