What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:17 am

Still reading Fire Bringer; I'm ready to start Part 3. It's still really good! And yes, I plan on reading Clement-Davies' other books too.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:24 am

I'm re-reading Anne of Green Gables, because I've been in a really crappy mood and stories like that cheer me up some.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:04 pm

The Next American Essay edited by John D'Agata

This collection may exemplify the state of American literature, but if it represented the best of it I would be slightly depressed. Critics have argued that often times "literary writers" focus so much on style that they forget content, and that is basically my response to what I've read so far.
uc pseudonym

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:30 pm

I found a graphic novel adaptation of Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis at the library. It's really cool.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ich1990 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:27 pm

Just read:

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

I read this book concurrently with “Dark to Mortal Eyes”, and, frankly, found myself more absorbed in this book. It is a classic sci-fi horror story, complete with a shipwreck, amalgamated creatures, and good ole' fashioned gore. What makes this story rise above its pulp slasher-horror counterparts is its equal emphasis on both psychological and physical horrors, and its social criticisms.

The book clearly has more meaning than meats the eye. H.G. Wells was famous for pushing his world view through his novels. What exactly his agenda is in this book, however, is somewhat of a mystery. At times it seems to bash religion, at others it questions the ethical validity of animal vivisection. Most of all, however, it asks us to consider what it is that truly makes humans, well, human. When this book was written, Darwin's research and theory was still a “new idea”. It seems that this book is a struggle with that new vision of reality. This is evident through questions such as “How can we know how far down the chain of life the human soul exists?”

This book is an excellent horror story with a science fiction edge that brings up many deep questions. My only complaint is that the book is a little slow in places, especially when compared to a modern horror novel. This would be an excellent book to kick start a conversation (or debate) about experimental research and the role of humanity in the “big scheme of things”. Additionally, this would be a great book to use to “trick” teenagers into reading quality literature. I wonder how popular this book would be if it was repackaged with a “hip” new cover and placed in the typically literature-barren Young Adult Fiction section. 9/10
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:40 pm

Ryu Murakami's Coin Locker Babies. I picked it up because I had heard it influenced Silent Hill 4: The Room. From what I've read so far, I can pick out a couple of themes that do seem familiar.
Once you squirm your way through the first sentence and you're able to stand up straight again, you'll find yourself looking at a great story. A bit Barker-esque in its audacity, but good.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:25 am

SpoonyBard (post: 1261667) wrote:Once you squirm your way through the first sentence and you're able to stand up straight again, you'll find yourself looking at a great story. A bit Barker-esque in its audacity, but good.

Might I ask what the first sentence is?

As for me, I finished Fire Bringer and am now reading Keys to the Kingdom: Mister Monday by Garth Nix. I'm a big Garth Nix fan, but for one reason or another, I'd never checked out this series of children's books before. I'm sorry I hadn't! They're really weird and cool, and very Garth Nix indeed. It's about this kid named Arthur Penhaligon (sweet name, if you ask me), who's asthmatic and ends up getting his life saved by a Key in the shape of a clock hand. And then he goes to this weird alternate dimension-type place, where he's meeting all sorts of wacky people. It's very exciting, and hard to put down.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Technomancer » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:38 am

Anarchy and Old Dogs

I haven't read any of the Dr. Siri Paiboun mystries, so I'd thought I give one a try. Basically, they're set in Laos during the 1970's. The link has more, and if this one is any good I'll see about getting some more.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:52 pm

Dictee by Theresa Hak Kyung Cha

Studying books like this in class makes me ashamed that one of my majors is English Literature.
uc pseudonym

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:34 pm

the_wolfs_howl wrote:Might I ask what the first sentence is?

I can't repeat it here. Just look it up.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Maledicte » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:39 pm

You can find it on Amazon if you're so inclined.

Just finished The Keep by F. Paul Wilson. It's kind of like Hellsing, in a way. Nazis getting murdered by a vampire and such. Very good book, kept me up nights. Also Judgement of Tears by Kim Newman. It's like the LXG series only crazier. Superman and James (excuse me, Hamish) Bond in a Dracula novel? What on earth?

I'm starting to get sick of reading all these vampire novels. But I will prevail! Only 29 more days!

In school, I'm reading The Library of Greek Mythology for my Myth Lit class and Rain of Gold for American History.
Maledicte

Postby animewarrior » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:05 am

Just Finished - Obsessed by Ted Dekker [Good] Skin by Ted Dekker [EPIC]

Working On - Seeing Redd of the Looking Glass Wars Chronicles, Cemetary of the Nameless, & Dance with a Vampire
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:57 pm

Foreign to Familiar: A Guide to Understanding Hot And Cold Climate Cultures by Sarah Lanier

Accurate sociology, but this fact is frustrating to me.
uc pseudonym

Postby ich1990 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:22 pm

Just read:

Pagan Christianity by Frank Viola and George Barna

“All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident” -Arthur Schopenhauer

Following this solemn statement is one of the most concentrated, poignant attacks on Chrstian tradition that I have ever read. Using logic, historical data, and an honest look at the bible in context, the authors declare such hallowed Christian traditions as the church building, the pastor, the sermon, and tithing, unbiblical. Further, they demonstrate that these traditions developed from the absorption of pagan practices, and make a solid claim that these practices hinder the Church and her mission.

The authors knew full well that the claims that they make would earn them the title of heretic, dissenter, and divider, so throughout the book they take great pains to fully annotate were they got their information. In the chapter on church buildings, for example, they use 215 citations in 37 pages. Further, in the second edition that I read, each chapter is capped with questions and complaints (and their refutations) that the authors have received since the first edition was released.

It should be mentioned that this book sets up the Organic Church Movement to be the antidote to the church's ills. I do not necessarily agree. The main thrust of this book, (and the portion that is of the greatest value) is its pointing out of the weaknesses in the current church structure, not setting up the perfect replacement.

G.K. Chesterton once said, “I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it , I discovered that it was orthodoxy.” I think that it is exactly this sentiment that drives “Pagan Christianity”. By claiming what many would consider heresy, they have, I believe, uncovered real orthodoxy and truth. Obviously not everyone will agree, but it is my hope that all Protestants will read this book and decide for themselves.

10/10 for Protestants or Evangelicals
7/10 for everybody else

uc pseudonym (post: 1262185) wrote:Foreign to Familiar: A Guide to Understanding Hot And Cold Climate Cultures by Sarah Lanier

Accurate sociology, but this fact is frustrating to me.

The fact that it has accurate sociology is frusturating?

ich1990 wrote:Ich's excessively long post.

Also, I have lately realized that reviewing the books that I have just finished reading is not technically an appropriate response to the OP, so if anybody is annoyed by my excessively long posts, let me know. I have been using this thread as a sort of accountability partner; If I know that I have to write a review and post it in a public forum once I am done reading the book, I force myself to critically analyze and think about what I am reading. A sort of antidote to complacency, if you will.
ich1990

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:05 am

Pillars of the earth currently. Just finished A Wrinkle in Time (again).

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:55 am

I'm working on reading Christ The Lord: Out Of Egypt by Anne Rice.
GhostontheNet

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:09 pm

1990 wrote:The fact that it has accurate sociology is frusturating?

The consequences of the sociology is frustrating.

The book outlines broad differences between world cultures, characterizing some as "cold" (structure-oriented) and some as "hot" (people-oriented). There are plenty of other distinctions and that is an oversimplification, but that gives you the gist of it. What the book intends to do is help people operating in other cultures understand how they have a fundamentally different worldview.

I can't deny that what is said is accurate. That is a problem only because I find many types of cultures, particularly those falling into the people-oriented category, to be extremely inhospitable to someone of my temperament. So reading the book was a depressing experience because I realized that to live in many parts of the world (South America, Africa, much of Asia) I would have to do many things I find repulsive in order to be culturally savvy.
uc pseudonym

Postby Maledicte » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:54 pm

ich1990 wrote:Really long post

I personally don't mind your in-depth reviews. They're well-written and informative. :) Sometimes I worry I have excessive posts.

ich1990 wrote:Review of Pagan Christianity

I concur.

Just finished A Test of Wills nby Charles Todd, which would make an interesting movie if they made Hamish's voice in Rutledge's head audible to the audience. Gee, two books in a row with a character named Hamish. Also finished reading one collection of the Sandman Mystery Theatre, not to be confused with Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Though you'll notice that Dream's battle helmet/mask resembles Wesley Dodd's gas mask.

Currently reading Daylight by Elizabeth Knox, and it's making me nod off. Homework reading in Ovid's Metamorphoses is not.
Maledicte

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:50 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1260760) wrote:Alongside S. Morgenstern's The Princess Bride, I'm reading Imagine, by Steve Turner. I am loving this book so far! It's about the integration of Christianity and the arts, making quality art as Christians, the current state of Christian art and how Christians treat other art, etc. I'm only two chapters in so far, but I'm already wanting to recommend it to people. XD It's excellent!

The above is still true (though now I'm 7 chapters into Imagine XD), but I've also finished reading The Long Halloween (EPIC), and I've just started Dark Victory. Amazing so far. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Sheenar » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:01 am

I finally finished Watchmen on Friday. It was good, but I'm not entirely convinced that it lived up to the hype. While it had good action scenes, the pacing was slow in places. And the numerous sex scenes didn't add any points with me. They just dampened the story for me --I finished because I wanted to see how it ended, but I don't think I would read it again.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:22 pm

I am reading The Guide to the Perfect Latin American Idiot and Open Veins of Latin America
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby jim_wijit » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:36 am

I am currently rereading 'Mister Monday' and just recently finished '1984' and 'The Lord Foulgrin Letters'.
jim_wijit

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:27 am

Finished Mister Monday and am now reading Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert. Need I say more?

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Song_of_Storms » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:11 pm

Bram Stoker's Dracula. Fantastic. Let's see Stephenie Meyer live up to that! >8D

Anywho, I'm really enjoying it! Extremely hard to put down. My only wish is that Mina would shut up.
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:23 pm

Today I purchased The Courage To Be by Paul Tillich, which looks very promising.
GhostontheNet

Postby RFC » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:34 am

I'm currently reading Star Wars: Dark Apprentice (the second book in the Jedi Academy trilogy). Yeah, I know. I'm such a nerd. :lol:
[color="Plum"]Jesus Freak Forever!![/color]
Proud creator of the Fakir Girls! (To visit our forum: click on the banner)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color] [color="Plum"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators[/color]
"MOES:You gotta know when to hold it, know when you've scrolled it."
[color="PaleGreen"]Con List: Anime L.A. 2008, Saboten Con 2009, Con-Nichiwa 2010[/color]
RFC

Postby Maledicte » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:27 pm

Song_of_Storms (post: 1263303) wrote:Bram Stoker's Dracula. Fantastic. Let's see Stephenie Meyer live up to that! >8D

Anywho, I'm really enjoying it! Extremely hard to put down. My only wish is that Mina would shut up.

What a coinkydink! I just finished The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen where Dracula "reveals all." It's not his fault Van Helsing was a quack and a putz who blamed him for everything. :lol:
Maledicte

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:38 pm

Understanding Genesis by Nahum Sarna

A book-length commentary on Genesis by a Jewish scholar, as you could guess from the title. In terms of theology and general hermeneutic, I'm not learning very much that is new to me, but there is a large amount of archeological information that I appreciate.

One of the book's major points of interpretation is demonstrating how early Israelite religion differed from others. I agree with this premise and have used some of the same arguments (such as the differences between creation stories), but I find that this text doesn't sit right with me. There is something subtle about the tone that suggests that author is approaching this without attempting to hold his biases in check. It leads to some swift conclusions and quick dismissals of other religions.

SirThinks2Much wrote:What a coinkydink! I just finished The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen where Dracula "reveals all." It's not his fault Van Helsing was a quack and a putz who blamed him for everything.

I read/enjoyed this some time ago (there may be record of it in this thread, even). Fun book, especially given how closely it mocks the original.
uc pseudonym

Postby ich1990 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Just Read:

The FBI Career Guide by Joseph W. Koletar

If you are interested in going to the FBI Academy and becoming a Special Agent, then this book is essential, for everyone else it is merely amusing.

The Air-Force Academy Candidate Book by William L. Smallwood

If you are interested in going to the Air-Force Academy and becoming an Officer, then this book is essential, for everyone else it is merely amusing.

At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft

After reading several different “classic” horror books in the past few months, my tour of macabre literature inevitably lead me to read something from the science-fiction/horror virtuoso, H.P. Lovecraft. I had much difficulty in picking a suitable Lovecraft book to read. Like most early horror writers, Lovecraft wrote primarily in the short story format. Eventually, I settled on the short novella “At the Mountains of Madness”, primarily because it was the only one available at my library. With much anticipation I started reading it the very day that I retrieved it.

One of the first things that stood out to me, is the language. Where as Edgar Allen Poe writes with a very fantastic and emotional language, Lovecraft writes (at least in this novel) with an exceedingly calculating and analytical tone. This “coldness” of language is no doubt purposeful and it fits the tone of the story incredibly well. That being said, the narrator of the story is a very well read geologist, and the story is written totally in character, without any dumbing down. Case in point: at one point, several pages are devoted to one biologist's description of an alien creature. Another linguistic point that stood out was that he used words like “awesome”, “awful”, "incredible", and “insane” properly (I.E. Awful = full of awe). In today's language, these words are rarely if ever used litterally, so this was refreshing. I should also note that Lovecraft loves using big words. If you want to increase your SAT vocabulary, this is the author for you.

The story was quite interesting, but it wasn't really “horror”. It was more a suspense story with a gigantic fantasy historical account put right in the middle of it. To someone who is more knowledgeable about the Cthulu mythos, this “history” would likely provide all sorts of inside information and revelations about certain alien cultures, but to the uninitiated (me) it was distracting and seemed to add little to the main plot. It was sort of like reading a few chapters from the Silmarillion without reading the Lord of the Rings first.

Despite the disorientation arising my lack of familiarity with his universe, I was able to keep up with the fictional portions surprisingly well. This is partly due to the fact that Lovecraft's world is complete. He frequently references other scientific expeditions, researchers, and papers, both real and fictional. It adds a particularly sharp edge of realism to the narrative when Lovecraft's characters talk about how the landscape looks like the same one from one of Poe's stories, or that they are reminded of the psychotic ravings that they read in the (fictitious) “Necronomicon”.

As a story, I was simultaneously impressed and bored. The author is clearly a genius, and I would love to read more of his work. Even though my ignorance of his universe prevented me from becoming fully enraptured by the story, it is clear to me that Lovecraft is an intelligent author and a very proactive (my favorite type) storyteller. If you are wondering if you can stomach the authors poignant and esoteric style, than this novella might make a good start. Otherwise, you would probably enjoy his stories more if you read an anthology of his works, such as this one. 9/10.

uc pseudonym (post: 1262515) wrote:The consequences of the sociology is frustrating.

I can't deny that what is said is accurate. That is a problem only because I find many types of cultures, particularly those falling into the people-oriented category, to be extremely inhospitable to someone of my temperament. So reading the book was a depressing experience because I realized that to live in many parts of the world (South America, Africa, much of Asia) I would have to do many things I find repulsive in order to be culturally savvy.

That makes sense. Could this be described as a social version of food tastes? You get used to a certain flavor and find other foods repugnant?

SirThinks2Much (post: 1262575) wrote:I personally don't mind your in-depth reviews. They're well-written and informative. :) Sometimes I worry I have excessive posts.

That is good to hear.
ich1990

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:55 pm

I've always considered Mountains of Madness a science fiction story with horror overtones. It is also a classic adventure story in structure which depends more on location and exploration than constant threats of physical danger. By contrast Call of Cthulhu and Dreams in the Witch House are more horror stories, though much of the horror is psychological in nature.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner