What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:09 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1257453) wrote:I last watched The Swan Princess (my childhood is complete!) and Blade Runner. What a contrast! I didn't really like Blade Runner much, though I've discovered that I might have liked it a bit better if I'd watched the theatrical version rather than the director's cut. It just didn't interest me that much, and had too much questionable content.
I have no idea what possessed you to watch fairy tales back to back with cyberpunk film noir movie filmed in a retro-future setting. I couldn't disagree more with you on Blade Runner's excellence on every level, and probably could write a whole commentary on the film if I set my mind to it Admittedly, a lot of viewers have difficulty with movies like Blade Runner because the film replicates an intense sense of future shock in which a period of rapid change renders our basic assumptions about the way the world works (not least in terms of ethics) obsolete. Blade Runner takes place in a world in which three realities are here to stay: A. That media saturation and consumer culture is as omnipresent as Big Brother was in 1984 (note the all-seeing eye in the first scene and the serious neon saturation to the point that dark spaces become a welcome refuge), B. That the Asian economy has overtaken the West, and so in a globalized world, the U.S. is subjected to the same level of Asian power and influence as Asia is currently experiencing of Western power and influence, and C. That playing God with genetic technology is as commonplace as computers are today, and that man's creation is not as benevolent toward his creatures as God's. Of the latter, in order to get anyone to even care, it will take a team of biological androids ("Replicants") to poetically reenact the roles of John Milton's Satan and Mary Shelly's Frankenstein monster to give man, his creator, some serious problems. Film noir and cyberpunk isn't the kind of genre like fairy tales where all the characters fall neatly into categories of courageous good and terrible evil, but a deeply ambiguous world in which every character's motivations are questionable. Not even the audience is exempt from having it's motives questioned (hence the brief nude scene following lines involving of the fall of man, voyeurism and moral decency, and scenes in which we are challenged to identify with the Replicants against our own species). Blade Runner is a challenging movie, but it yields its pearls to those who have the patience to really explore its world.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:05 am

Tonight I watched Sleepy Hollow.
GhostontheNet

Postby Kurama » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:10 am

Watching Ghost Rider soon. :)
Kurama

Postby Gabriel 9.0 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:32 am

I Am Legend alternate version.
Some of my favorite scriptures.

Psalm91
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

Hebrews 4-4
1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

James 4
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Gabriel 9.0

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:04 pm

Ghostbusters II. A trip back to my pre anime days.
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby eternalprincess » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:37 pm

Jumper

I hadn't watched that since when it first came out. Gosh how long ago was that? Eight months? I think almost a year. : oops:

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:47 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1257490) wrote:I have no idea what possessed you to watch fairy tales back to back with cyberpunk film noir movie filmed in a retro-future setting. I couldn't disagree more with you on Blade Runner's excellence on every level, and probably could write a whole commentary on the film if I set my mind to it Admittedly, a lot of viewers have difficulty with movies like Blade Runner because the film replicates an intense sense of future shock in which a period of rapid change renders our basic assumptions about the way the world works (not least in terms of ethics) obsolete. Blade Runner takes place in a world in which three realities are here to stay: A. That media saturation and consumer culture is as omnipresent as Big Brother was in 1984 (note the all-seeing eye in the first scene and the serious neon saturation to the point that dark spaces become a welcome refuge), B. That the Asian economy has overtaken the West, and so in a globalized world, the U.S. is subjected to the same level of Asian power and influence as Asia is currently experiencing of Western power and influence, and C. That playing God with genetic technology is as commonplace as computers are today, and that man's creation is not as benevolent toward his creatures as God's. Of the latter, in order to get anyone to even care, it will take a team of biological androids ("Replicants") to poetically reenact the roles of John Milton's Satan and Mary Shelly's Frankenstein monster to give man, his creator, some serious problems. Film noir and cyberpunk isn't the kind of genre like fairy tales where all the characters fall neatly into categories of courageous good and terrible evil, but a deeply ambiguous world in which every character's motivations are questionable. Not even the audience is exempt from having it's motives questioned (hence the brief nude scene following lines involving of the fall of man, voyeurism and moral decency, and scenes in which we are challenged to identify with the Replicants against our own species). Blade Runner is a challenging movie, but it yields its pearls to those who have the patience to really explore its world.

I have no idea what possessed me either, really :hits_self I understand all of what you're saying, and why Blade Runner is held in such high regard. I just personally don't like it too much. I don't know; maybe I just don't like cyberpunk. But the main thing I didn't like about the movie was just the way the movie was presented, somehow. Blech, I'm not explaining myself very well, and like I said, I probably should have watched the theatrical version instead. It didn't include a couple of the particularly grotesque moments, and it had narration that probably would have given much more of the structure I think the director's cut lacks. It also has what my dad says is the main reason to watch it: Harrison Ford's character pondering on the meaning of life, and what makes us humans, and what makes us different from the Replicants.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:28 am

Last night I watched The Ring.

[quote="the_wolfs_howl (post: 1258383)"]I have no idea what possessed me either, really :hits_self I understand all of what you're saying, and why Blade Runner is held in such high regard. I just personally don't like it too much. I don't know] Personally, I'm all for the Final Cut first, the Director's Cut second, and the Theatrical Version third. Its always a bad sign when cyberpunk flicks pander to audiences by filling negative space with unnecessary narration to alleviate the gap between the director's thoughtfulness and the the audience's thoughtlessness. Such audiences are best lost in their ignorance to the future shock, because like the Japanese say: "It looks much cooler to say it without saying it." Such empty spaces match up with the old Japanese aesthetic sensibility of Wabi-Sabi, and are already pregnant with such questions because, as the old Zen phrase goes, "It turns to light what is directly underfoot." Personally, being a horror fan and having worked at a haunted house, movie blood doesn't really bother me as much as it used to (because we applied this stuff to our faces every day), and I think the more visceral moments are necessary for the movie. After all, in a movie about a hunt for illegal robots, the unpleasant realization that "we all bleed red" makes both human and replicant seem more human to us. In terms of plot structure, if you pay attention, it makes perfect sense. Deckard's story, quite naturally, progresses from clue to clue (i.e. 'Ok, so here's a scale in the suspect's bathtub, that's very unusual, Ok, this snake was manufactured by the Egyptian, Ok, so the corrupt bar owner Taffy Lewis bought the snake', etc.), while the Replicants' story progresses in terms of their plight for survival both in the long and short term.
GhostontheNet

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:31 am

GhostontheNet (post: 1254850) wrote:Tonight I watched The Orphanage.

Hey you finally sat down and watched it. Glad to see you enjoyed it
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Danderson » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:03 pm

Watched the Spiderwick Chronicles tonight.....Was really suprised at how un-cheesy yet well done this was....I think what suprised me was the seriousness of the family situation, as well as the true peril that made me suprised that this didn't get the PG-13 rating.....
Danderson

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:35 pm

Last night I watched Juno. Great movie!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:32 pm

I just finished watching Batman Begins.
GhostontheNet

Postby GeneD » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:29 am

Watched Wicker Park (I think it was called) a few days ago. I quite like it.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Kurama » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:06 am

Star Wars I: Phantom Menace. O.O
Kurama

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:47 pm

Tonight I watched Big Fish.
GhostontheNet

Postby KagayakiWashi » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:04 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1259570) wrote:Tonight I watched Big Fish.

I love that movie.
2 days ago I watched "Once Upon a Time in the West" and today I watched "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" [extended version]. I love that movie
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Kurama » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:21 pm

Yesterday and Today=Batman: The Dark Knight. :)
Kurama

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:58 pm

Suitable for the 888th reply (corresponding the number of a name far more holy than that of the beast) I just finished watching The Matrix Reloaded.
GhostontheNet

Postby Stephen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:18 pm

Hey Ghost. You're 889. *snicker*

I watched Donnie Brasco tonight. Great mob movie. And I watched Death Sentence with Kevin Bacon. Gotta love a good revenge flick now and then.
Stephen

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:31 pm

Stephen (post: 1259797) wrote:Hey Ghost. You're 889. *snicker*
I repeat: the 888th reply, not the 888th post.
GhostontheNet

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:03 pm

Let's see...

I watched the live action Death Note movie a few days ago with some girls on my hall, followed by Paprika last night with a group on campus, followed by 5 Centimeters Per Second tonight with some other girls. XD Good times!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:50 pm

I last watched X-Men 2. I would call it a very fun movie - not incredibly deep, but enjoyable to watch if you liked the first one. It's always nice to just see some superheroes doing their thing. And there was some good action scenes, too. I especially liked the battle between Logan and that other person in the place where he got his spikes (deliberately being vague to avoid spoilers).
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:19 am

Tonight I watched Edward Scissorhands.
GhostontheNet

Postby Kkun » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:24 am

I'm going to see Burn After Reading tonight.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Sheenar » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:24 am

I just watched the first "episode" (which is 2 hours long) of The Thorn Birds. It's a miniseries that was released I think in the 60s or 70s and it's pretty good, actually.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:12 pm

I watched most of Season 4 of "The Office" today, then "Jason and the Argonauts"....I wanted to watch "My Name is Nobody", but dad opted for "Dr. Strangelove".....which I love.....but I'm not in the mood for it now.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:18 pm

Today I watched an amazing movie, I don't know if anyone heard of it but it's called "The Fall". Visually brilliant, and very well done. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended especially if you enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth and such.

Its about a little girl who befriends a suicidal man in a hospital. The man tells her fantastical stories in exchange to try and get her to go get some pills so he can "go to sleep". Anyway, it was extremely beautiful, well done, amazing, I loved it. Best movie I've seen all year. Heck, best movie I've seen since Pan's Labyrinth. If you have a HD-TV, and blu-ray, this movie would no doubt look astronomical. Wish I saw it in theatres. I wanna buy an HD-TV and blu-ray just to watch this again. Great story, creative, etc.... Sure its not perfect, some may find it boring but if you love visuals and the weaving of fantasy and reality, check it out.

Here's the trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/thefall/

And its rated R but theres nothing remotely offensive in it. Just thematically its aimed at adults so I guess thats the only reason its R and some violence but anything in LOTR tops this in that department.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:36 pm

I just finished watching Johnny Cash: The Man, His World, His Music.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:06 pm

Tonight I watched Carrie. Good movie, but I feel miserable now.
GhostontheNet

Postby minakichan » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:12 pm

Watched a bunch of movies on the plane.

Made of Honor-- Not much you can say about cheesy romantic comedies, but it wasn't absolutely terrible.

Forbidden Kingdom-- Who cares about plot or dialogue? The visuals and fight scenes were AWESOME!

Kurosagi-- Wanted to watch this movie FOREVER. Felt just like another episode of the J-drama series though, but it's a good series, so it was all good.
ImageImage
minakichan

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment