Gods sense of humor

Talk about anything in here.

Gods sense of humor

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:49 pm

SO, I watched Dogma last night for the first time since it came out. I'm definetely a huge fan of Kevin Smith films, and Dogma was definetly the most thought out.
But it got me thinking, cos we all know Kevin Smith is centered around humor, and since he portrayed God as a being with a great sense of humor, I was wondering... I don't know, does He?
I know we're supposed to live out of fear and passion for him (or her =P), but do you think its always serious situations with God, always about passion and fear, or do you think God would like to joke around (of course not in our sense of the word, but you get the idea) and be funny?

Or is this blasphamy or something ridiculous?

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:04 pm

I think God feels pleasure, so I would say it is very likely He has a sense of humor. (Of course, right now it seems to please Him to let me wander life without any sense of direction or guidance, but . . .)

I wouldn't try to get anything deep or philosophical from such a film, however.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Momo-P » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:10 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it say somewhere that laughter is a gift from God? I'm pretty sure it does...which would fit. Only in recent years have they discovered how extremely healthy laughter is for you. Heck, look at Weird Al. He's getting fairly old, yet you wouldn't even notice it.
Momo-P

Postby Shilohan ninja » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:12 pm

I see no reason why not. After all, God did get an *** to speak for him to the false prophet Balem, did he not? Or what about using David, a li'l sheperd boy of barely 13 to slay Goliath, the nine foor tall decapitation machine of the Philistine army? I'd say that'd take a good sense of humor to pull that off.
Now, the humor in Dogma IS blasphemous on so many levels, it's not even funny. I mean, seriously now, the angel's not just gonna drop his/her pants to prove they're really a heavenly being, incapable of reproducing, right? Where in the Bible does it give any kind of example that even remotely eludes to that kind of behavior? I, sure as heck, didn't find any, unless that happened to appear in the book of second opinions. That movie, for all its biblical references, was rather acutely perverted in my opinion. I mean, there is NO loophole to get back into Heaven, right? At least, not that I'm aware of. Tell me if my theology's way off, but I'd say that movie, for all intents and purposes, is outright blasphemy of the entire spirit world, God, angels and demons alike.
Finish Strong - 2Tim. 4:7,8
"[color="SeaGreen"]Speak up for those who never get a chance to choose life rather than those who have rights and use them improperly."[/color] - A good friend of mine
[color="Purple"]Normal is a setting on a washing machine[/color]. -A youth pastor of mine
[SIZE="5"]JESUS IS LORD![/SIZE] End of descussion.
[color="Red"]Farewell to false pretention
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell tomorrow burns[/color] - Demon HunterMy Blog
Shilohan ninja

Postby Kaligraphic » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:12 pm

If the good lord gave us the platypus, I think it's safe to say he has a sense of humor.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Tell me if my theology's way off, but I'd say that movie, for all intents and purposes, is outright blasphemy of the entire spirit world, God, angels and demons alike.

--

I dunno, I thought it was funny. I think in some ways, language wise and what not it was blasmphamy, but its not like they were out right making fun of God or anything. Which is why I find it humorous, because Kevin Smith IS a religious man, and he knows the limits. I don't think at all he was trying to prove that there is a loophole, or that angels and demons are the way they are like that, I think that was solely for comedic and movie value.
Regardless, it made me think at least =P

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:44 pm

xblack_x_rosesx (post: 1258805) wrote:Tell me if my theology's way off, but I'd say that movie, for all intents and purposes, is outright blasphemy of the entire spirit world, God, angels and demons alike.

--

I dunno, I thought it was funny. I think in some ways, language wise and what not it was blasmphamy, but its not like they were out right making fun of God or anything. Which is why I find it humorous, because Kevin Smith IS a religious man, and he knows the limits. I don't think at all he was trying to prove that there is a loophole, or that angels and demons are the way they are like that, I think that was solely for comedic and movie value.
Regardless, it made me think at least =P

Frankly, being a "religious man" is utterly irrelevant. Using such important beings such as God for comedic value, especially in a film with much profanity and crude humor, is over the limit by most people's estimations. Do you think that brings glory to God? Honestly, this obsession with irreverence that is plaguing American popular culture irritates and distresses me. Some things shouldn't be joked about.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:50 pm

If God didn't have a sense of humor, there wouldn't be comedians and we wouldn't have the ability to laugh.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:50 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:Some things shouldn't be joked about.

I disagree with this statement.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:57 pm

Nate (post: 1258810) wrote:I disagree with this statement.

I'm not surprised at all. I'm sure you have reasoning why we should feel free to make fun of anything?

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby sharien chan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:57 pm

I definitely think God has a sense of humor. And yes while we are supposed to fear and respect Him, He doesn't want use to be so terrified of Him that we can't go to Him. We need to have a healthy fear of Him.
sharien chan

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:14 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:I'm sure you have reasoning why we should feel free to make fun of anything?

Because we should feel free to make fun of anything. Who draws the line at what we should and shouldn't make fun of? *WARNING: Godwin invoked* The Holocaust killed millions of people...does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to laugh at the Nazi Caramelldansen video, or that it shouldn't have been made? War is an atrocity and many people die in combat...does that mean Battlefield: Bad Company shouldn't have been made, or Tropic Thunder?

You could say religion should be off-limits, but then does that mean we can't have the video of Tom Cruise jumping on a couch to laugh at? Does that mean we can't enjoy Marvel's Thor comics? Should I not let out a hearty "HAW HAW!" whenever I read one of Jack Chick's ridiculously absurd tracts?

I'm not offended by Dogma, though I understand why people would be. The thing to remember is, it was supposed to be a comedy, not a well-researched documentary on religion. Kind of like Life of Brian (my favorite Monty Python movie) or even Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which parodied the Arthurian legends (on that note, I don't know why Christians aren't offended by the portrayal of God in THAT movie, they seem to decry Life of Brian, which doesn't even insult Christianity, but the movie where God says "Stop averting your eyes, it annoys me!" gets praised?).

The Onion already ran an article about Cheney being happy to go shopping for September 11 presents. I suppose people might be offended by that, but I think it's funny. That doesn't mean I think the loss people suffered is funny, but it means that the article is funny.

Let me close by saying this. My dad died when he was hit by a car while riding his bike. In the Strong Bad email "children's book" there's a scene where Strong Bad draws a truck about to run over a kid on a bike (Franky has about five seconds). I could get offended by this, but I don't. It's funny. And I wouldn't want to be a jerk by saying, "How dare you laugh at that, my dad was killed in the exact same way!"

That is all.

Nate

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:26 pm

God created humor because he knew we'd be such a crazy species. It was the only way He knew to make sense of it all.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:53 pm

I believe humor is something that allows us to heal and grow stronger (though like anything humans have, it can be misused). Not just that we can enjoy the inherent ridiculousness of this world and ourselves, but that it's medicine for the soul, and generally useful. I see no reason God cannot laugh, for if anyone, he has an awful lot to laugh about.

In this recent thread on acceptable humor, I consider one of the signs of any mature society that they can discuss anything, but they can also laugh at anything. There is a lot to be revealed and reveled in humor. Hitler and the 3rd Reich was a dark time for the world, but humorists have reduced them to a joke. This does not make light of the travesties the Nazis committed, but makes Nazis themselves a subject of mockery, as they certainly deserve. All this hushing up about it and political correctness on television just makes them a thing to be feared again.

I'd rather laugh and face the future.
Fish and Chips

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:02 pm

I mostly agree - joking about stuff like rape and sexual abuse (child or adult) is out of bounds in my opinion.
Wish more comedians realised that.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ADXC » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:45 pm

I bet God had a big laugh at the tower of Babel. "Haha, Ive confussed all of their languages. They'll never try to reach me ever again if they know what's good for them." No Im just kidding about that last statement, but I do believe He found the event hillarious.

And yeah I do belive God has a sense of humor.

Look at me! I am trying to make Steve look bad! Look at me go!

ADXC

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:05 pm

God has to have a sense of humor. I mean, it's evident every morning when I wake up and look in the mirror to see that my cat was sleeping on my face again.
Hiyakawa Sayaka (my character from my writing) wrote:God has given me a gift, that I really don't know what to do with. I guess, all I can do is put it in his hands, keep my hands inside the car, and expect to end up destroying parts of Tokyo with my perfectly good guitar.

Revelation 1:10-11: I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, saying, [color="Red"]"Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches to Ephesus and to Smyrna, and to Pergamum and to Theyatira, and at Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea."[/color]
Sakaki Onsei

Postby CAAOutkast » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:18 pm

Does God have a sense of humor? Of course He does! Even Jesus has a sense of humor.
CAAOutkast

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:18 pm

Er... mate, God is Jesus.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ADXC » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:29 pm

Yep! The Trinity, don't forget it. God the father, God the son, and God the Holy Spirit.
ADXC

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:00 pm

animedude90 wrote:Yep! The Trinity, don't forget it. God the father, God the son, and God the Holy Spirit.

Nate

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:08 pm

The trouble I see with cracking jokes about serious things is this. Sure you can joke about something, but when you think about it next, what comes to mind? The joke, especially if you find it very funny. That's what bothers me about our modern culture's propensity to mock and poke fun at everything. Pretty soon, you can think of as many jokes about any given thing as you can serious thoughts. By my observation, laughing about something implies that it's not that big of a deal (thus the expression "laugh it off".) Humor is powerful. I worry when people want to make a joke out of everything.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby ADXC » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:21 pm

XD Thanks nate, I proudly accept this rock. Although, I think I more of an Admiral Obvious.
ADXC

Postby Danderson » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:15 pm

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1258877) wrote: I worry when people want to make a joke out of everything.

Big time ditto on that....Especially when movies that mock just about everything in our culture (Meet the Spartans, Disaster Movie, etc) seem to be what everyone's talking about and laughing about nowadays....

I mean, I love to laugh at ridiculous stuff, especially if it's a commercial....But a commercial only lasts for 30 secs.....a movie can last more then an hour, and there is only so much of "that sort of" (joke-out-of-everything) humor that I think we can take before we become completly numb to being serious about what needs to be taken seriously.....

It might already be too late for a most of us.....I already feel like I'm slipping more towards that.....but that's not who I want to be....and I know that's not who I was made to be.....
Danderson

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:17 pm

The belief that God has a sense of humor is essential to my existence. There are things that happen in my life for which the only justification could be that God watches my life like a television show or movie. He often laughs His omnipresent butt off. :lol:
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:02 pm

I know there must be times when things happen where God is like "I did it for the lulz." For example, the time when I went to China and my luggage got lost. I thought that was hilarious and I'm sure God did, too.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:47 pm

After some thought, I think I would be willing to accept that there might be a place for humor about all subjects, but not in all settings. There may also be subjects for which so few settings are appropriate that the difference is negligible.

As an example of the former, consider sexism. I have a Gender in American History class where we're all a bunch of feminists, so it can be pretty funny if someone demands "Get in the kitchen, woman" (when in a funny context, naturally). But there are a lot of people who would be offended by even touching this subject, perhaps because it's too close to reality for them, or perhaps because they have been hurt too badly for the subject ever to be funny to them.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:15 pm

Ya know what, I think UC nailed it perfectly. =)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:56 am

uc pseudonym (post: 1259014) wrote:After some thought, I think I would be willing to accept that there might be a place for humor about all subjects, but not in all settings. There may also be subjects for which so few settings are appropriate that the difference is negligible.

As an example of the former, consider sexism. I have a Gender in American History class where we're all a bunch of feminists, so it can be pretty funny if someone demands "Get in the kitchen, woman" (when in a funny context, naturally). But there are a lot of people who would be offended by even touching this subject, perhaps because it's too close to reality for them, or perhaps because they have been hurt too badly for the subject ever to be funny to them.

That's certainly a possibility. I think what I really worry about is that we as a culture are forgetting that humor has certain contexts where it is inappropriate.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:11 am

But, on the same token, we shouldn't also be too over-sensitive, lest we end up as shriveled old prunes.

There's a fine balance that needs to be struck, and the PC crowd of the world has become too over-sensitive. Believers should remember Ecclesiastes, y'know...the everything has a place and a time section?
Hiyakawa Sayaka (my character from my writing) wrote:God has given me a gift, that I really don't know what to do with. I guess, all I can do is put it in his hands, keep my hands inside the car, and expect to end up destroying parts of Tokyo with my perfectly good guitar.

Revelation 1:10-11: I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, saying, [color="Red"]"Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches to Ephesus and to Smyrna, and to Pergamum and to Theyatira, and at Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea."[/color]
Sakaki Onsei

Next

Return to General