Cellular Regeneration: The future may be here

Talk about anything in here.

Cellular Regeneration: The future may be here

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:08 pm

Cutting edge technology may regrow organs.

" wrote:Imagine re-growing a severed fingertip, or creating an organ in the lab that can be transplanted into a patient without risk of rejection. It sounds like science fiction, but it's not. It's the burgeoning field of regenerative medicine, in which scientists are learning to harness the body's own power to regenerate itself, with astonishing results. Correspondent Wyatt Andrews brings you to the scientific frontier.

Youtube Video Link

If this works out well, then we may have very long lives ahead of us. Absolutely amazing if true.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:25 pm

I remember seeing this a few months ago on a forum.

I think the general consensus was that it's not legit, but I need to dig around further.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:38 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1258201) wrote:I remember seeing this a few months ago on a forum.

I think the general consensus was that it's not legit, but I need to dig around further.

I've been poking around, and haven't found anything to indicate that it's a fraud (Or at least, the non-powder portions. Fingertips have been known to grow back on their own, though not that quickly). What I have found strange is the lack of further coverage after the time of these reports. I suppose that there wouldn't be any in the mainstream media unless they have a major advancement in the technology, though.

Regardless, I hadn't seen this before, so I thought I'd share.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:40 pm

I can't really find anything either. And likewise, I am also surprised that there isn't much further coverage on it.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:49 pm

Oh! Dude! I already read this book.

It was good.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby rocklobster » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:28 am

Drat, Etoh beat me to it! I was going to do the joke at poor Claire's expense!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Sheenar » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:39 am

Well, the human liver does have regenerative abilities --if a lobe is cut off, it can regrow.
I'm not sure about other organs, though. I do know that scientists are breeding genetically engineered pigs to harvest organs from for human transplant. One of my animal science professors was involved in doing research at a pig facility for this.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Midori » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:25 am

I heard that the main thing keeping larger animals from growing back limbs like lizards is cancer, or rather, the anti-cancer genes that (mostly) keep cancer from developing.
Midori

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:44 am

Well, the article on CBS News Sunday Morning shows all the signs of being legit, with videos and exact details to back itself up. From what I can tell, it seems plausible to say that this field of research has a lot of promise, but still has a long way to go (hence the lack of media coverage).
GhostontheNet

Postby Shilohan ninja » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:52 am

Interesting. Keep digging and let me know what you find.
Shilohan ninja

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:00 am

woow. That's pretty cool! I hope that this is legit, because that would be pretty awesome... also mind boggling. It even grows bones and tissue back!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:23 am

Shilohan ninja (post: 1258313) wrote:Interesting. Keep digging and let me know what you find.
Actually, all the info can be found in the article linked to in the opening post. At the bottom are links to all the various researchers and investers in regenerative medicine mentioned in the article.
GhostontheNet

Return to General