Bigfoot Zomg?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby sharien chan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:06 pm

I wonder if they realize that years ago the whole big foot thing was found to be a hoax. That when the guy died it was admitted that he went around with wooden prints to make it look like bigfoot walked around, and he had someone dress up sometimes in this suit. XD silly people
sharien chan

Postby chibiphonebooth » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:18 pm

Xddd
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Destroyer2000 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:05 pm

Bigfoot has been sighted for years upon years now, but hundreds of people, or so it is claimed. While I'm not saying he exists, I'm not saying it is impossible, either. The man who claimed he was big foot - how do we know that he wasn't lying? Everyone is so quick to pass it off as a hoax, but all the while, there is no real way to be sure. There are indeed many creatures that we, as people, haven't discovered yet.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:07 pm

The DNA was possum DNA. I'm pretty sure Opossums aren't the missing link.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Stephen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:35 pm

But a giant possum? Oh yeah.
Stephen

Postby Momo-P » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:53 am

The DNA was possum DNA. I'm pretty sure Opossums aren't the missing link.

You mean they're not?!

But seriously, why people rely on bigfoot to be the missing link just boggles my mind. Even if evolution takes places over time, we should still have loads of monkey men running around. Heck, there should be loads of "inbetweens" for all animals running around...yet there are none. But Bigfoot suddenly is going to be it?
Momo-P

Postby Technomancer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:08 am

Momo-P (post: 1254039) wrote:You mean they're not?!

But seriously, why people rely on bigfoot to be the missing link just boggles my mind. Even if evolution takes places over time, we should still have loads of monkey men running around. Heck, there should be loads of "inbetweens" for all animals running around...yet there are none. But Bigfoot suddenly is going to be it?

The idea of a "missing link" (or the need for one) is a product of early 20th century reporting, and is not one that has any currency among scientists. Bigfoot (if it existed) would be a very interesting specimen and would certainly have an interesting evolutionary history in its own right, but is unlikely to add significantly to our knowledge of our own species' history.

A more interesting problem for contemporary "bigfoot hunters" would be tracking down more complete remains of Gigantopithecus
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Nate » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:21 am

Destroyer2000 wrote:The man who claimed he was big foot - how do we know that he wasn't lying?

His size 25 shoes should have tipped us off. And we let him get away!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Momo-P (post: 1254039) wrote:But seriously, why people rely on bigfoot to be the missing link just boggles my mind. Even if evolution takes places over time, we should still have loads of monkey men running around. Heck, there should be loads of "inbetweens" for all animals running around...yet there are none. But Bigfoot suddenly is going to be it?

Technomancer (post: 1254042) wrote:The idea of a "missing link" (or the need for one) is a product of early 20th century reporting, and is not one that has any currency among scientists. Bigfoot (if it existed) would be a very interesting specimen and would certainly have an interesting evolutionary history in its own right, but is unlikely to add significantly to our knowledge of our own species' history.

I'm gonna ask that this line of evolutionary discussion stop here before it goes any further--see the forum rules for details.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:27 pm

Bigfoot lol. I don't buy it. XD

Whoa, so I guess that beach monster thing really was a raccoon. That picture is pretty compelling evidence.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby MasterDias » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Yeah, it's fake all right.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7571483.stm

I want to know what the "undisclosed sum" the researchers paid is.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Stephen » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:16 pm

I made a ton of cash...I mean....I bet they did ok.
Stephen

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:35 am

Hospitalier wrote:There are thousands of independent big foot sightings, many by multiple reliable witnesses. Even if you take into account misidentifications, bias, and possible hysteria, there are still way to many sightings for this to all just be made up.

Er, that's not an accurate assessment. Just because many people claim to see something doesn't mean that they saw it. They may THINK they saw it, but that doesn't mean they did. A perfect example of this is the self-immolation of Thích Quả]wanted[/i] to see.

The Bigfoot thing (and by extension, the Loch Ness Monster thing and UFO sightings) is very similar. People see something, but they see what they want to see. Bigfoot doesn't exist, but people see maybe a quick glimpse of the back of a bear, or whatever, and think "Oh my gosh, that's Bigfoot!" It doesn't mean they're lying (to lie you have to purposely be trying to deceive people), but it does mean they're wrong.

Sorry to take this thread into srs business land. To make up for it, here is a picture of Bigfoot fighting aliens.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:34 pm

ahahahha bigfoot fighting aliens... XDDD
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby That Dude » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:48 am

Yeah sadly this specific incident was a hoax. As far as the sasquatch being real. Well I don't see any compelling reason not to believe. I mean there have been thousands of sitings across the globe of giant bipedal ape like creatures, heck more than half the continents have their own "bigfoot." The Yeti of Asia, The Alma's of Northern Europe (and asia), the Sasquatches of North America, the Yowies of Australia.

I mean we're finding new animal species every day. In the aftermath of the big tsunami back in 03 I think, they found over 150 new animal species. So though this press release ended up being fake, it's totally possible that they're out there.

Anyway, same as Nate, sorry for taking the thread into serious business land. Here's your treat.

http://zapatopi.net/bsa/
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Technomancer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:56 am

That Dude (post: 1259740) wrote:I mean we're finding new animal species every day. In the aftermath of the big tsunami back in 03 I think, they found over 150 new animal species. So though this press release ended up being fake, it's totally possible that they're out there.

It's true that we're finding new species, but none of them are especially large (maybe the size of a small deer). There are very few places where something large could still be hiding. The more remote parts of the Himalays might be one such place, but even then I suspect that psychological factors in myth are more likely to be source of yeti legends than some long unknown primate.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:34 pm

I think the largest recent find was in fact a pygmy deer in Vietnam about ten years back. I remember reading about it in highschool.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Previous

Return to General