social shyness

Talk about anything in here.

social shyness

Postby David » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:54 am

Turns out that my college at home dropped the art department so now I am moving in with my aunt in Florida.At home I always kept to myself and never really had much of a social life. This mostly changed when people found out I was going to move and they actually wanted to hang out with me.So for an entire week before I left I actually had a social life. I have no friends here and I'm a bit afraid that I'll become just as isolated as I was back at home. I've already come across many occasions where I could have made new friends but I was to shy to introduce myself. Anyone have any tips on how to get over social shyness?
David

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:13 pm

David (post: 1252882) wrote:Turns out that my college at home dropped the art department so now I am moving in with my aunt in Florida.At home I always kept to myself and never really had much of a social life. This mostly changed when people found out I was going to move and they actually wanted to hang out with me.So for an entire week before I left I actually had a social life. I have no friends here and I'm a bit afraid that I'll become just as isolated as I was back at home. I've already come across many occasions where I could have made new friends but I was to shy to introduce myself. Anyone have any tips on how to get over social shyness?
Wow, that hits close to home! One way to help make friends in college is to make sure you put yourself out there, engaging in discussion with the professor. Kindred souls have a way of finding each other, and this form of discrete self-advertisement will attract people with similar passions to you, rather than having to go through the more laborious process of talking to people at random to find some common ground (which is much more difficult for shy people like us).
GhostontheNet

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:06 pm

What Ghost says is a good start :) Or, just hanging out where you like you hang out is a good way to find people with similar hobbies as you :)

Don't rush things, though ^ ^ Just take it one step at a time and start with a hello :)
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:53 pm

A good way to start a conversation with someone is to ask them something about themselves. Like, "I really like your shirt/shoes/whatever! Where did you get it?" Most people like that kind of thing. Once you've broken the ice, ask them other stuff about themselves. It sounds easy, but it does take some practice. If you mess up, just keep trying. :]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nia-chan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:14 pm

Don't forget to join clubs or do sports. Also, try not to think too much about how others may see you. A big part of being shy is being too self-conscious :3

<--- knows from experience
Don't make me hit you with my pocketbook :angel:
Nia-chan

Return to General