Floridians Unite! (and everyone else too ^-^

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:06 pm

Okay time for me to step in and be Mr. Negative. Which isn't my intention, but everyone will say I am, so might as well go with it.
firestorm wrote:1.) to reach our Japanese bred generation for Christ. that's first and foremost. Many won't come to church but they'll come to a con.

The problem with Christianity is NOT that the Japanese haven't heard about it. Most of them know about it, but the problem is you're looking at this from the wrong perspective.

Mr Smartypants is a Korean. I read a Livejournal entry by him where he was talking with another Korean person about his heritage. This other person called Ryan a traitor to Korea for accepting a foreign religion. He told Ryan that he was turning his back on his motherland.

Do you see what I'm getting at? Japan is a land that RUNS on tradition. The reason why many Japanese aren't Christians is because Christianity is not part of Japan's cultural heritage. We're talking about a country that will literally tell a white person working in a business, "We're not promoting you because you're white." THAT is the reason why Japan doesn't accept Christianity, not because they don't know, or we're trying to reach them wrong. It's because it's foreign.

I'm not saying that it's pointless, and we should always, always witness to Japan and do our best, but to think that somehow Japan is going to magically say "Oh wow this con has shown me the light!" is silly.

Second, so they'll come to a con. So what? Yes, the voice actors might be Christians, but what does that mean? Let me ask you this. You've been to cons, right? So have I. Many voice actors may be atheist, Buddhist, Shintoist...do you feel like you've learned more about their personal religious beliefs by attending the con? Do you feel like you might want to learn more about it? No, you probably don't. And so it would be the same with Christianity, unless you had a panel that was "Voice Actors Give a Sermon," and guess what? Non-Christians wouldn't be interested in that in the slightest.
(Just a hypothetical question not trying to be mean)
If Jesus were sitting next to you while watching an anime with cussing (even just one), would he approve?

I don't know, would He? Last I checked Jesus was all about turning what the religious majority at the time believed completely on its head. He worked on Sundays, He ate with the filth of the world, and He stopped a woman from being stoned, which was the Law. Law with a capital L. He told the priests that they were condemned to Hell and the thieves that they would join Him in Heaven.

So what WOULD Jesus say? Maybe He'd say nothing. After all, let's see, what did Jesus say? "Anyone who calls his brother 'fool' is in danger of the fires of Hell." So wait. Fool isn't a bad word. It's not censored. It doesn't make a movie R-rated. Yet Jesus said that saying the word "fool" would send you to Hell! So. Who knows what Jesus would say? I sure don't. Know why? Because I'm not God. And even claiming to know what God would do or say in a situation would be pretty arrogant.
I think he wants us to lead the culture instead of following it which is why I'm trying to get new ideas that has never been tried at anime cons before.

I'm not exactly sure God wants us to lead the culture. I think He wants us to love others, obey Him, and avoid sin. In this way we can show our love to the world. I'm not saying having Christian-based events is bad. It isn't. I just don't think we have to change the culture.

Also I believe your optimism is misplaced. You say people would come because they've never seen a con like this. Okay, that may be true, but they may not come for the reasons you want them to come. Trolls on internet message boards come to this site, but not to participate. You'd probably have irritating atheists coming to purposely cause trouble. Besides, Christ said the world would hate us for our belief in Him. So a Christian anime con would likely draw scoffing rather than interest, except from people like us, who are a niche of a niche.

Look, I'm not trying to be discouraging. I'm not saying don't do this. I'm just saying don't get your hopes up. God does answer prayer but not always in the way we want it. I have someone I know who has cancer, and I pray for their healing, but I can't say "God will definitely heal them, because He's God and He can heal totally!" They may die of their cancer; that's how life works. I would hope God does heal them but I have to remember He might not, and so I can't be optimistic about it. Otherwise my hopes and dreams would get crushed. This isn't pessimism I'm talking about; I'm not saying "Oh God won't heal them so it's pointless," that's pessimism. It's being realistic that God isn't a genie who grants all our wishes, and His plans are often VASTLY different from our plans.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:50 pm

firestorm (post: 1250377) wrote:Wow he's the dude that's Christian, isn't he like uber famous. The only thing I'm questioning is why did he go for the lead for AIR. I was reading wikipedia to check it out and found out that it started out as a hentai game. why would he do voice acting for something like that? wouldn't that damage his testimony? sounds fishy to me. I'd be happy to meet him though to ask him that and other questions.

Air may have started as an H game (as many anime do--Utawarerumono is another like it), but that says nothing for the content of the show. AirTV is very clean as an anime series, and the fact that Vic does the voice for the show (or any show, for that matter) says nothing about his character, since he's--yes--acting. XD

On Florida, I don't live there but it's essentially my home-away-from-home. XD I have lots of family there and I visit often during the year.

On a con in Florida, I can't say I'd be 100% eager to go. Really, the only thing that matters for me at a con is whether or not I'll get to meet friends there; otherwise, it's shopping I could do online and cosplay that I could do at a costume party. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby firestorm » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:35 am

Nate (post: 1250617) wrote:Okay time for me to step in and be Mr. Negative. Which isn't my intention, but everyone will say I am, so might as well go with it.

Actually I don't think your being negative at all your just being realistic which is something I very much appreciate and I appreciate your input.:)

Nate (post: 1250617) wrote: The problem with Christianity is NOT that the Japanese haven't heard about it. Most of them know about it, but the problem is you're looking at this from the wrong perspective.

Nate (post: 1250617) wrote: Mr Smartypants is a Korean. I read a Livejournal entry by him where he was talking with another Korean person about his heritage. This other person called Ryan a traitor to Korea for accepting a foreign religion. He told Ryan that he was turning his back on his motherland.

I need to apologize, cause should have phrased my sentence differently. what I meant when I was talking about Japanese bred culture wasn't that I that I was talking about Asian and Japanese people specifically, but rather our generation (wether be american, european, everyone). Think about it will not everyone watches Anime, many people recognize pokemon, naruto, and probably one piece. Japan leads in many of our major industries including automobiles, games, television, and communications.

What i basically mean is that it would be a good thing to reach our generation with. Sorry if I confused you.

Nate (post: 1250617) wrote: Do you see what I'm getting at? Japan is a land that RUNS on tradition. The reason why many Japanese aren't Christians is because Christianity is not part of Japan's cultural heritage. We're talking about a country that will literally tell a white person working in a business, "We're not promoting you because you're white." THAT is the reason why Japan doesn't accept Christianity, not because they don't know, or we're trying to reach them wrong. It's because it's foreign.

I'm not saying that it's pointless, and we should always, always witness to Japan and do our best, but to think that somehow Japan is going to magically say "Oh wow this con has shown me the light!" is silly.

I never knew that. (the not promoting the white people who work there part I mean.)

Also I never thought about Japan like that.

Nate (post: 1250617) wrote: Second, so they'll come to a con. So what? Yes, the voice actors might be Christians, but what does that mean? Let me ask you this. You've been to cons, right? So have I. Many voice actors may be atheist, Buddhist, Shintoist...do you feel like you've learned more about their personal religious beliefs by attending the con? Do you feel like you might want to learn more about it? No, you probably don't. And so it would be the same with Christianity, unless you had a panel that was "Voice Actors Give a Sermon," and guess what? Non-Christians wouldn't be interested in that in the slightest.

Well i do believe that they'll come out with something actually. I mean you never really feel like you've learned more about their personal beliefs becausethey never really speak about it to that extent do they? And plus if the manga and anime shown there are star quality you really can't say nobody will check some out so in a way they will be learning about our beliefs. I mean its not going to be a stuff the bible down their throats kind of event but I do think that people would be more inclined to listen//read/watch wiht an event like this.

Nate (post: 1250617) wrote: I don't know, would He? Last I checked Jesus was all about turning what the religious majority at the time believed completely on its head. He worked on Sundays, He ate with the filth of the world, and He stopped a woman from being stoned, which was the Law. Law with a capital L. He told the priests that they were condemned to Hell and the thieves that they would join Him in Heaven.

So what WOULD Jesus say? Maybe He'd say nothing. After all, let's see, what did Jesus say? "Anyone who calls his brother 'fool' is in danger of the fires of Hell." So wait. Fool isn't a bad word. It's not censored. It doesn't make a movie R-rated. Yet Jesus said that saying the word "fool" would send you to Hell! So. Who knows what Jesus would say? I sure don't. Know why? Because I'm not God. And even claiming to know what God would do or say in a situation would be pretty arrogant.

Actually That would all be dependent on the person really. For Example my girlfriend (as well as I) believes it's a sin to even watch a movie with one curse word in it. which is completely understandable because the more trash that comes into us whether it is (physically, verbally, emotionally) the more trash is likely to come out. So really it can be a temptation to in a way for some people.

Again though that's all dependent on the person. Not everyone believes the same thing on that.

Also I see what your saying but the Bible does say this about cursing too:

Colossians 3:8

But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.

So cause Jesus is God, and the bible was inspired and guided by Him, I would think he doesn't like cursing that much and fool isn't that nice to say either, which would explain why he said what he said.Plus the fact that this verse is in the New testament after the law was abolished. I understand the Law was abolished, but I do think he wouldn't put this if he didn't want us to uphold it, especially if it's in the new testament outside the law originally establish.

now you've got me interested in whether jesus believes fool is a bad word though. I mean would he really say that if he didn't think it was bad? (I personally believe it is though)

Nate (post: 1250617) wrote: I'm not exactly sure God wants us to lead the culture. I think He wants us to love others, obey Him, and avoid sin. In this way we can show our love to the world. I'm not saying having Christian-based events is bad. It isn't. I just don't think we have to change the culture.

true but like you said jesus was a revolutionary (saying what you said in my words actually). He went spoke to prostitutes when noone else would. he kicked out money changers at the temple. He reached people that nobody else did like nobody else did.
So in a way I think he would want us to do the same. I mean not like militarian like no, but I do think it would be good if we stepped it up, showed we can do just as good quality stuff as the world, and possibly introduce new mediums and things in the culture that can really be interesting and turn some heads and interest people.

On another note, in doing this con, it is showing his love to the world. It's like a parent showing their love by being interested in what their child is doing and watching. Samething, God is interested in his children, and by doing this it's also showing his love.

Nate (post: 1250617) wrote: Also I believe your optimism is misplaced. You say people would come because they've never seen a con like this. Okay, that may be true, but they may not come for the reasons you want them to come. Trolls on internet message boards come to this site, but not to participate. You'd probably have irritating atheists coming to purposely cause trouble. Besides, Christ said the world would hate us for our belief in Him. So a Christian anime con would likely draw scoffing rather than interest, except from people like us, who are a niche of a niche.

yeah by now you've figured i'm an eternal optimist.:lol:
What your saying is probably true, but I love debating so i wouldn't mind them coming in and chatting it up with us. of course if you mean trouble by burning down or breaking stuff and rioting that a completely different story and something that would be uncalled for for them to do.

I'm actually trying to find that verse but I think it has to do more with him helping us perserve than anything else really.

And again you can't really say it woldn't draw interest either not everyone is the same way. While yes there will be scoffers. I do believe there will be people that are non-christian that would be interested too.

Look, I'm not trying to be discouraging. I'm not saying don't do this. I'm just saying don't get your hopes up. God does answer prayer but not always in the way we want it. I have someone I know who has cancer, and I pray for their healing, but I can't say "God will definitely heal them, because He's God and He can heal totally!" They may die of their cancer; that's how life works. I would hope God does heal them but I have to remember He might not, and so I can't be optimistic about it. Otherwise my hopes and dreams would get crushed. This isn't pessimism I'm talking about; I'm not saying "Oh God won't heal them so it's pointless," that's pessimism. It's being realistic that God isn't a genie who grants all our wishes, and His plans are often VASTLY different from our plans.

Again don't worry it's not discouraging at all and in all truth and actuality in a way it's encouraging. And I agree with you that things don't always go the way you hope and pray for. and if he does have something different in store that's ok. Why? I know whatever it is it's his will and is way better than our own plans.

Now i would also reply to Raiden no Kishi's post but right now it's 4:33 in the morning and I'm tired so I'll probably do it tommorrow. It's been really fun talking with you guys though. I like this kinda stuff.:)

(sorry for all the gramatical errors I usually fix them after i type but again it's 4:33 and i need to get going so yeah later.)
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:44 am

Just going to say this, and I hope this doesn't go any deeper than it should.

Swearing isn't always used in negative connotation. You can say a curse word without having any sort of anger, malice, or slander in it. Also, "filthy language" is generally determined by what you are socialized to accept as to what is filthy. Heck, swearing now a days can be used as words of praise. Would that be considered as sinful? It's widely debated.

Keeping that in mind, you can easily argue that saying "you suck" is just as bad and sinful as saying "'F' You'". What makes the f-word much worse than saying "you suck"? Well that's due to the culture which you are socialized in.

Personally, I'd find a Christian Anime Convention to be boring. There would be absolutely no diversity and not that many people, and everyone would essentially be pretty similar. "Christian Anime fans" is suuuuuch a small demographic, there's absolutely no way to start something like that. I think God would like us to show ourselves as an example to those that aren't Christians in say... secular anime conventions. One person at a time.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mave » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:46 am

I think that having a separate convention would give the message that we Christians are more exclusive than ever and that our faith is incompatible with the entertainment media.

I was GLAD when the yaoi fan community created their own convention and some left the more mainstream conventions. Imagine a "Great! Now those Christians can leave us mainstream folks alone."

I know your intentions are well, though. Just my two cents.
Mave

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:02 am

firestorm wrote:Plus the fact that this verse is in the New testament after the law was abolished.

Matthew 5:17 wrote:"Do not think I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets]
And that's all I'm gonna say about that.
firestorm wrote:(Just a hypothetical question not trying to be mean)
If Jesus were sitting next to you while watching an anime with cussing (even just one), would he approve?

This is suggesting that Jesus condemns us, which isn't what the cross tells me.
Mave wrote:I think that having a separate convention would give the message that we Christians are more exclusive than ever and that our faith is incompatible with the entertainment media.

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I think God would like us to show ourselves as an example to those that aren't Christians in say... secular anime conventions. One person at a time.

I agree with both of you here. It will take a good while at best before there are enough Christian anime fans to staff/create/attend any "Christian anime" con and even then I don't see how it would be terribly different from any other con, especially given that right now there are almost zero Christian anime series and Christian manga series are limited to webcomics and one or two decent published series.

I really think more of impact would be made on the anime culture if we just worked at secular cons like Mr. SmartyPants said and then MAYBE when we have like 5 million members on this site we'd have enough people to organize, fund, and attend CAA Con or something, XD. Putting the Christian label on anything is going to come across as Christians being exclusive and hardly anybody will be interested in that. It's why I don't plan on bringing my stories to Christian publishers and why the best Christian music isn't under Christian labels.

A con staring out with people from this site would be awesome and everything, and I think it could very well happen some day, but the fact is that there aren't enough people/materials/whatever YET. That's why I think it's best to work within regular cons for now.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:12 am

Is this thread about living in Florida really on the verge of a theological debate you guys? I mean rly? Come on. Simmer down. Plz? Plz.

Really though, discussing the possibilities of a Christian Anime con is fine, but please don't let this turn into a theological debate. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby firestorm » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:45 pm

Thanks Radical Dreamer,
I agree while I like debating and would love to continue I really don't want this thread to close. if you guys want we can continue this somewhere more appropriate like pms and such but just not here thank you.

God bless,
Firestorm
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Kurama » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:17 pm

*raises Fist*

Floridians Unite!!!!! Hahahahahahhaaa!!!!!
Kurama

Postby AsianBlossom » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:46 am

I was going to say...what controversy is there in whether you live in Florida or not?? XD "This thread has been locked because it started an argument about people living in Florida..." :lol: But seriously...
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby ADXC » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:32 pm

Well you can't blame them because afterall Florida is pretty hot and humid. And there's too many people. And in some places in Florida English is not the primary language.

But Im just kidding. It's okay to live in Florida.
ADXC

Postby FukuokaGirl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:18 pm

I live in central FL. (I attend the same uni as Mr.SmartyPants and Peanut.) But I live here year round. Though I hate it... too hot. I'm native to the NE. (Philly pride) XD

haha aaaaaanyway...
I couldn't really care less whether a con was Christian or not. Though I'd love to meet up with all you wonderful CAAers!
"They do exist, the places you can live renewed." -Nobuta wo Produce
[align=left]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[align=center]思い出せば遙か遙か 未来はどこまでも輝いてた きれいな青空の下で 僕らは少しだけ怯えていた

[/align]
[/align]
[size=75]

[/SIZE]
FukuokaGirl

Postby ADXC » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:32 pm

Actually, I think that was the plan in the first place. To have a gathering of all of the CAAins. But unless everybody can use instant transmission and has a couple hundreds stashed away, then Im not sure how a gathering that large is possible.
ADXC

Postby firestorm » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:50 am

animedude90 (post: 1251063) wrote:Actually, I think that was the plan in the first place. To have a gathering of all of the CAAins. But unless everybody can use instant transmission and has a couple hundreds stashed away, then Im not sure how a gathering that large is possible.

yeah true but might as well minister to people and plus it would also be a way to find and reach more people who are like us a niche of a niche.

Postby AsianBlossom » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:39 am

If we were all going to meet up, it'd be a little easier to just pick a convention that's maybe centrally located (or big and well-known like Otakon or something) and have everyone meet in a designated spot at a designated time...with one person volunteering to hold a sign XD

Yeah, there's the money issue to consider, I know. But we can dream, right?

animedude90 (post: 1250936) wrote:Well you can't blame them because afterall Florida is pretty hot and humid. And there's too many people. And in some places in Florida English is not the primary language.

¡Hola, Señor! ¿Cómo está usted? Hace calor. :D

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby firestorm » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:31 pm

AsianBlossom (post: 1251324) wrote:¡Hola, Señor! ¿Cómo está usted? Hace calor. :D

LOL!

Postby ADXC » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:59 pm

Yo conozco. Hace muy calor. Yo estoy aburrido hoy y quiero hacer algo diferente, pero yo puedo pensar de nada. Pero además de esto, yo estoy bien.
ADXC

Postby AsianBlossom » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:47 pm

animedude90 (post: 1251432) wrote:Yo conozco. Hace muy calor. Yo estoy aburrido hoy y quiero hacer algo diferente, pero yo puedo pensar de nada. Pero además de esto, yo estoy bien.

O_O

All right, all right...you win. XD

AsianBlossom

Postby ADXC » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:20 pm

¿Gano qué?
ADXC

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:21 pm

Okay guys, this isn't Goof Off, so let's get back on topic (and in English, please!).

Radical Dreamer

Postby ADXC » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:24 pm

Oh Im sorry I didn't mean to cause any problems. Please forgive me.

But yeah when we went to Disney world in the fall it was cold. I thought it was going to be hotter.

Yah! This is my 900th post.

Woops sorry I sidetracked. Im sorry again!
ADXC

Postby battletech » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:33 pm

I am a 3rd generation Floridian. Born in Florida and never left.
Florida's winters last like only three weeks! I would really try to go if we all decided to meet.:thumb:
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby AsianBlossom » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:01 am

animedude90 (post: 1251644) wrote:Oh Im sorry I didn't mean to cause any problems. Please forgive me.

But yeah when we went to Disney world in the fall it was cold. I thought it was going to be hotter.

Yeah, sorry about that too. I almost couldn't resist posting in Spanish.

Actually, some people are surprised that it can get cold down here. Maybe not cold enough to snow, but we have had frost in the mornings in the Fall and Winter. (Well, I did hear there was a LITTLE bit of snow one year maybe a few to several years back, but even then, it's not like it happens a lot XD) But you do need a thick jacket or wintercoat around here in the Winter.

That's why my friend once said something like, "If you're going up North, pack warm clothes. If you're going down South, pack cool clothes. If you're going to Florida...bring your whole wardrobe." :lol: Actually, she was referring to the unpredictable temperatures in Spring--the temperature was cold one day and hot the next--but same thing, right?

AsianBlossom

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:08 am

Wooh! XD

Ok, I'm not that enthusiastic about Florida. It's too hot outside and there's those afternoon thunderstorms....oO
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby David » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:39 am

I just moved here! =D So far I love florida so much more than my old state- Louisiana.
David

Previous

Return to General