Is this a bad thing?

Talk about anything in here.

Is this a bad thing?

Postby rocklobster » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:25 am

Before I decided to be a more serious Christian, I had a period of my life where I was "going through the motions". During this time, I tried to be a good Christian, but I wasn't very vocal about my faith. This was up until I was in college. Anyway, during that time, I never made a conscious effort to memorize Bible passages. It's not that I didn't like reading the Bible, it's just that I'd seen people who memorized Bible passages and didn't act very Christian. I didn't want to be associated with those shallow people. I wanted people to see my Christianity in my actions, not my words.
Now that I am a more serious Christian, I often wonder if my former idea was a right one. I've tried to memorize Bible passages, but I'm not really that good. The only passages I can quote verbatim are John 3:16, Jeremiah 1:4-5, parts of Psalm 23, and Psalm 131:2.
So, what I'm asking is this: Is it ok if you aren't that good at remembering where in the Bible certain things are said, but you still know that they are said there?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Midori » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:53 am

I did Bible Quizzing for seven years and I still can't remember where anything is in the bible. I don't think its something that everyone has to be good at. Sometimes when I can't find a particular passage, I use a website like biblegateway.com to keyword-search for it.
Midori

Postby Bekalou » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:49 am

I went to a Christian junior/senior high school so like Midori, I spent a large portion of my life studying the Bible, and I'm really bad at remembering the scripture references or the exact wording of stuff. It does make me worry that since I didn't memorize those things permanently maybe I didn't really care, but I don't think so. It's good to have a Bible in your home so you can look stuff up, and yes websites like Biblegateway are good resources too.

When the Bible says "keep the Word in your heart" I think it means to apply God's Word to your life, but if you can't recite the exact wording and the reference, don't sweat it.
Bekalou

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:25 am

There's a lot of material in the Bible, so one can't be expected to memorize the whole thing or even part of it. I don't think that's really what God is asking anyway.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Danderson » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:46 am

rocklobster (post: 1251993) wrote: It's not that I didn't like reading the Bible, it's just that I'd seen people who memorized Bible passages and didn't act very Christian. I didn't want to be associated with those shallow people. I wanted people to see my Christianity in my actions, not my words.

Right there with you.....I've known some ppl who were like that, and were even good about memorizing....the applying on the other hand...:(.....

So, yeah, u are so definetly not the only one......
Danderson

Postby Sheenar » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:10 am

No, but it is important to know what Scripture says --so that, when you are in a battle, you can fight back with the Word of God and what it says about your situation. That's how Jesus countered Satan when He was tempted in the wilderness --He fought back with Scripture.

For example, I struggle with worry. So I wrote down two verses on worry on note cards and put them up in my dorm.

Perhaps something like that can help you remember Scripture. Make some note cards with verses that mean a lot to you and that you find especially helpful in your life --and put them up in your room/living area so you see them each day. Then you will be gradually able to recall these verses from memory whenever you encounter a trial or a circumstance.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:30 pm

Memorizing bible verses doesn't necessarily make you a better Christian than someone who doesn't. What I find is that when I come across a verse or passage that has more of an impact on me, I tend to remember it. I wouldn't worry too much about memorizing things and just read. As you read, I'm sure, you'll find verses that stick out to you and they'll be easier to remember.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:41 pm

I would say it's a lot more important to be able to understand what you read and then apply it to your own life. While I may not have the Sermon on the Mount memorized in full, it still convicts me on a daily basis. On the other hand, I know plenty of Sunday school teachers who force kids to memorize tons of verses with no context or thought and I can't say this does any good.
uc pseudonym

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:45 pm

Its more important to apply the meaning of the verses to your heart. Those who taught scripture back in the day probably could memorize many of the over 500+ rules, but they still did not always apply too much of it to their hearts. That's part of the reason why we have the 10 commandments. They are easy to memorize and they bear an extreme importance.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Dante » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:11 pm

Its about the content, and LIVING the content, and not about KNOWING where it is or even what it precisely says. After all, you start to get to the point where you're asking what version to memorize, King James, New International, the original documents in their native tongues? You get the point right.

I wanted people to see my Christianity in my actions, not my words.

A great qoute for this comes from St. Francis fo Assisi:

Let all the brothers, however, preach by their deeds.

Another rewrote this with some VERY catchy phrasing that I like even better.

Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words only if necessary

God Bless you,
Pascal
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby rocklobster » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:17 pm

Actually I use the Catholic NRSV Study Bible, Pascal.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Dante » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:37 pm

See... the list of Bible is nigh on endless! O_O And some of them have odd ways of translating the other ones I've found, though I have to admit I don't remember the verses.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby SailorDove » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:40 pm

There are 3 verses I'm trying to memorize to live by.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8, which I have printed out and taped up by my bedroom door. Also designed a wallpaper to it. And more recently, Proverbs 2:11 of which I made into a banner for a Christian Group at AnimePaper. As well as the verse in my sig below.

If I remember correctly, one reason Jesus chastised the Pharisees was even though they knew the Law by heart, they didn't practice nor understand and sometimes ignored the Heart of the Law. Which made them hypocrites.

I think he'd like us to work on both, but the priority was emphasized on practicing and understanding the Heart of the Law by loving God and others.

Of course I must confess its much easier said then done, especially for me. That's why I like finding and creating wallpapers with scriptures on it for my screensaver. May sound stupid, but it helps me.

The book of Proverbs has a great many verses that are short, catchy and easy to remember. I just like reading though it sometimes. Gets me back on the right line of thinking.
Naruto Fanfic: Kokoro of Konoha by Sailor Dove

What is the power of the weak and the weakness of power?

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby termyt » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:44 am

Memorization is an excellent tool that helps a lot of people. My mother can still recite things she memorized in grade school. It’s also a handy to be able to use a well placed verse of scripture and be able to document where it comes from. It makes an argument more compelling.

However, not all of us are good at memorization. My head isn’t wired that way – perhaps I am just not disciplined enough to memorize bits. I would prefer you study the Bible in length than memorize one or two details. Being able to apply Biblical principles to any and every situation you find yourself in is far more important than being able to quote chapter and verse once in a while and stumble about blindly the rest of the time.

However, memorization is still important for EVERYBODY. Don’t let the “I’m no good a memorization” bit to stop you from trying. The mental exercise is a good one and you never know when and where it will bear fruit. One might say memorization attempts have not done me much good because I have very few verses memorized but I can paraphrase a ton of them and a lot of that has to do with my attempts at memorization.

Thankfully, I have one of the internets at my beck and call so I can type in my paraphrase and find the actual verse if I need it.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby soul alive » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:43 pm

I'm terrible at memorizing long term, so I know how you feel. I can memorize something for a short amount of time, but as soon as I'm not using it constantly, I forget.

I think the idea that memorizing verses equals knowing the Bible is a terrible misconception that continues to be perpetuated. I was in an organized youth group in middle school, during which most of our time was spent memorizing and spitting back out verse after verse as quickly as possible.

Do I remember them? Maybe one or two out of hundreds. I wasn't thinking about the content, just what order the words went in. And I was in that youth group for a couple of years before I ever heard the full out message of salvation, from a visiting speaker. Apparently, we were just expected to know, or something. It's really no better than the grade school Sunday School classes that I had, learning Bible story after Bible story, but not what they meant.

--

I'd say, work with what works for you.

You already know after years in school what methods of study and delivery work for you personally. Adapt that to how you learn, know, and share the Bible.

For example: I remember the general idea and order of almost everything I read. So instead of trying to memorize verses for any situation I might come into, I am continually reading through the Bible to keep fresh it fresh in my mind. I can remember in what general location a topic or verse might be and usually can find it pretty quickly by flipping there and doing a more thorough search. I also like to keep a Bible dictionary on hand that has verses by topic, since that helps me narrow things down quickly if I can't remember something.

Work with your strengths, rather than beating the dead horse of your weaknesses.

--

Memorizing doesn't necessarily equal understanding. And just spouting off verses and leaving it at that isn't going to win you friends with non-Christians.

It's not for nothing that the Word is referred to as a sword. The Word is your weapon. And the more knowledge and practice and familiarity you have with it, the better you are going to use it. And just like any weapon, each person has a different way of using it. Find yours and use it.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby sharien chan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:45 pm

I was listening to a sermon thing today and the Priest pointed out something interesting. I don't recall the exact words he said but he said something along the lines how no matter how many times he's read the Bible (which was a lot...he was the Patriarch of our church) there are still lines where he goes "that was in the Bible!? I've never seen that before!"

So if this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Randolph_Adler
still finds scripture he's never seen before...I think it's okay that you can't really memorize scripture...at least you're trying ^_^
sharien chan

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:38 am

Admiring brush strokes on a canvas is pretty meaningless if you can't see the portrait they draw.
Fish and Chips

Postby Paul » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:05 am

Here's my take: God is not a God of quantity but a God of quality. Let's use your situation as an example. You have two people-one knows tons of scripture, can quote and cross-reference King James, NIV, and Hebrew translations, and can out do anyone at Bible Trivia. The other one knows say roughly a hundred verses, can accurately quote about fifty of them with knowledge of book, chapter, and verse; and can tell you how those scriptures changed the course of their life and how it can change yours too.

Who do you think God is going to be able use? It's not hard to figure out. It's not about how much you know the scripture, but how you apply the scripture you do know to change your life. I generally try to take one or two scriptures a year. Establish one that will be mine, and apply it to my life and allow it to change me. It's a whole lot easier than trying to read the bible in a year, and I walk away with something worthwhile instead just getting through in record speed, and having no clue what I was reading about.

Paul
"You heart is free. Have the courage to follow it." -Malcom Wallace. (Braveheart)
Paul

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:22 am

There is a reason why one should memorize Scripture.

Psalm 119:11 says:
"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."

How one goes about this makes all the difference in the world. Have you made it a chore? Or, do you count it a joy to have the opportunity. It's hard to do things we don't like, easier to do the things we enjoy. If you have to force it upon yourself in large doses you gain very little from it's practice. But, if you take it in smaller doses memorizing Scripture that speaks to what you are facing at the time, it will be far more beneficial.

The psalmist goes on to say:

"I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word."
Psalm 119:14-16

When you find yourself rejoicing and delighting in the excercise of applying God's word to memory and living it, it becomes as easy and refreshing as drawing a deep breath.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby rocklobster » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks for the advice all of you. I am taking it to heart, especially yours Rev Doc. After all, at least one of the verses I mentioned is the whole heart of the Bible: John 3:16!

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:16 pm

Personallly, I would say that is alright. Memorization is hard, especially with Bible verses. The real objective is to know and understand God's word. There are many people who can quote until the cow's come home, but it doesn't necessarily mean they KNOW God. So, you're ok, Rock.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Return to General