Cosplay Dilemma

Talk about anything in here.

Cosplay Dilemma

Postby Bekalou » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Hello everybody, I'm new here and I wasn't sure where to post this thread, but I've been debating something in my head for a while, and I would like some input from Christians with similar views.

For the past year or so I have been avidly into cosplay, which I find fun to wear and even more fun to make, as I love sewing and recreating myself as characters. I've sought to glorify God by using the talent He gave me to the best of my ability, but here comes the snag.

I recently got interested in a manga which has some devilish/demonic themes in it, and I'm sorely tempted to cosplay one of it's characters. I personally feel mature enough to understand that the manga and the characters are fictional and that my cosplay is merely pretend, and that fantasy cannot compromise my faith. However, I fear that by personally portraying a character from the series, I may be giving a false impression about myself that I accept or support such themes.

I won't mention the title of the manga (it's fairly obscure, anyway) but I can say that it might be similar to Death Note: it deals with demons, but to my knowledge whether that is truly beneficial is not explicitly shown or mentioned. I even get the feeling that the main character is headed for destruction, though the manga is ongoing so it is hard to know how it will end.

I would appreciate any feedback you can provide me, as well as any prayer :D Thank you!
Bekalou

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Keep in mind that even when they're referring to the "christian" type Demon, they usually still have the Japanese twist to it. If you're mature enough to handle it, you're mature enough to handle it. Honestly, I don't think cosplaying a fictional character is gonna damage you any. ^-^
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Bekalou » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:23 pm

Thank you, Etoh*the*Greato. I don't believe that cosplaying a character from an occult-themed series can hurt me or upset my faith, but let me rephrase my dilemma: when I cosplay I usually post photographs on the internet, and I show them to my (non-cosplay) friends. I just don't want to make it appear to them that I feel a certain way about those themes that in fact I do not; I am a Christian and I don't want people to mistake that.

But I also feel like I might be over-worrying ^^; I tend to do that.

But thank you again for your edifying words :D
Bekalou

Postby animechica » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:59 pm

[quote="Bekalou (post: 1250842)"]Thank you, Etoh*the*Greato. I don't believe that cosplaying a character from an occult-themed series can hurt me or upset my faith, but let me rephrase my dilemma: when I cosplay I usually post photographs on the internet, and I show them to my (non-cosplay) friends. I just don't want to make it appear to them that I feel a certain way about those themes that in fact I do not]

I do the same thing.
It's a bit like the Halloween dilemma... I know a lot of Christians seem to have a big problem with Halloween because of its demonic connection. So there's the argument, "So what, my kid's dressing up as a cute lion."

But what about the child who wants to dress up as something scary?
Like a witch?

But witches' ways are clearly out of line in God's eyes.
So does that make it wrong to dress up (and of course act like/pretend you are one) for that night?

I'm sort of confused about that myself... when it's put that way, I get worried about it, but meh... it's just a costume, right? I dunno. Hard to reconcile stuff like that in my head.
animechica

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:22 pm

Moved to the General board.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:23 pm

It all depends on how you feel about it, I guess. If you're having second thoughts about cosplaying as this character for whatever reason, then I'd say don't do it. Honestly, it's between you and God.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Debitt » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:20 am

If it makes question your motives in any way, don't do it. Easy enough, I'd think.

Though I have to say, as a cosplayer with a lot of friends who aren't into the hobby: when they look at my costumes, I've never had someone assume "oh, she must support what ___ does" -- they're more likely to think something like "Hey, you put a lot of work into that!" or "Hey, that picture especially makes you look like your character!".

And out of no reason other than personal curiosity: would you have the same doubts about cosplaying any sort of "bad guy"? I ask simply because, well, they do things and believe things that we probably shouldn't support either. Destroying the world? Murder? Revenge? Definitely not reflections of Christian morality -- is the possibility of conveying "I'm OK with demons!!! :DDD" worse than portraying the idea of "I'm OK with murder!"? And if so, why?

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Mave » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:01 am

I guess it depends on how much you care about being a testimony and who are the folks who'll see you do it. I'm not so worried about yourself as an individual; you should know if you are mature enough.

You see, I particularly like gothic lolita and see no harm in wearing it. But, gah....I know some folks are going to be very surprised. "You're Christian and you wear stuff like this??!!" We can be annoyed with folks like this but if my dressing caused someone I know to have a poor opinion of Christianity, I think that maybe the cosplay is not worthed it.

So, I'd still do it if I'm surrounded by strangers or friends who aren't affected by this. But if I'm promoting Christian manga or openly declaring my faith in some fashion, maybe not.
Mave

Postby Bekalou » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:53 am

Debitt (post: 1251104) wrote:And out of no reason other than personal curiosity: would you have the same doubts about cosplaying any sort of "bad guy"? I ask simply because, well, they do things and believe things that we probably shouldn't support either. Destroying the world? Murder? Revenge? Definitely not reflections of Christian morality -- is the possibility of conveying "I'm OK with demons!!! :DDD" worse than portraying the idea of "I'm OK with murder!"? And if so, why?

Thanks Debitt; those are some of the things I've been considering as well. Simply put, I think the cosplay will be a lot of fun to wear and I think I would really enjoy making it, and I find the series intriguing and the character very complex; that's why I really want to cosplay this character. I do personally feel mature enough to handle the character, but I am still concerned with how I would present it in such a way that honors God (though I personally feel that that issue deals more with how I behave while I'm wearing it, but others might not agree).

And to answer your question, I think that no, I probably wouldn't have the same doubts. In that way I can argue "it's just a character, a fantasy, I like making costumes and wearing them and modeling for photographs; it's my hobby." And in that respect I suppose you're right, that there isn't much of a difference. Thank you for pointing that out :D I have also done some theatrical acting, and this perhaps may be a similar issue: I sometimes play a character who has traits and makes choices that do not honor God, but I understand that the character is not me.

And in response to Mave's comment: I do believe that I would wear this cosplay with a sense of caution in mind, and make sure that no one around me gets a false impression of Christ. The costume itself is a bit gothic lolita-ish, as well, so thank you for your insight :)

I think on this matter I have to wait it out; I can't even start working on this costume until I've finished the others I have lined up, which could take months. I suppose this is God's way of telling me to chill out and give Him time to open and close the right doors. Goodness knows I need to focus on other things first, but I'm impatient and obsessive ^^;
Bekalou

Postby oro! » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:58 pm

If it bothers you that much, I don't see how it's skin off your back not to do it. I mean, if I saw you at a con wearing the costume, I would probably think that you weren't a Christian, or at least it'd never cross my mind that you could be one. Remember that our lives aren't our own. We belong to God, soo...I'm glad that you're waiting on this one.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

To where or not to where?

Postby F.M Disciple » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:05 pm

i had an experince that's kind of similar to your problem.
I started playing RPG videos games when i first got my ps2 and i wondered if playing them was apporpiate. Considering all the horror stories you hear about dugeons and dragons. but the thing I relieazed was, its important to establish a line and not crossing over it. and so far Bea I don't think you are in danger of doing that. from what i can get from your posts your doing a smart thing by waiting for God's answear. I wouldn't sweat it, i'm sure things will turn out okay for you.

God Bless.:thumb:
F.M Disciple

Return to General