Hey, College Kids!

Talk about anything in here.

Hey, College Kids!

Postby Ashley » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:25 pm

My brother is leaving in 2 weeks for college in Boston. As his food loving older sister, I'd like to get him a healthy cookbook aimed at college students with a kitchenette. Any suggestions?
Ashley

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:15 pm

The Healthy College Cookbook: Quick. Cheap. Easy.

That is one that I would check out.

[color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby Dante » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:40 pm

Yes. Weat spaggetti, and Frys Food has some good deals on frozen bagged vegetables. I like to acquire vast quantities of corn, fiesta style veggies, peas and Chinese veggies (I don't have the names memorized :P but they're from Kroger Garden Blend and they're on sale right now I think). I found a fairly good deal on speggetti sauces from Newmans at Safeway recently too, although I can't say that the sausage and vegetable blend is the healthiest... but there are plenty of others that are good (ALWAYS buy sale and make sure that you go by the product that has the smallest price/product amount ratio... they list them (sometime erroneously) for your convience!)

You can mix up speggetti sauces and vegetables in various combos for some variety, but yeah... it does get old after a while. But the good news is that one can acquire this stuff relatively cheap and it doesn't taste bad (Plus there is a lot of it when you cook it up). Often times if I'm comparing the healthy alternatives offered outside my residence to what I can cook up with this stuff I find that I'd much rather eat this. Its hard for resteraunts to compete to a well designed home-cooked meal unless they use the addiction of greese... yum... laaaaaard... (Yeah I brake the rules too... and it just got more difficult, we have an all you can eat place at NAU that (today at least) met the standards of Las Vegas all you can eats... this place was huge and it only cost me seven something, that's about the price of a combo meal at many a fast food joint...)

NOTE: Just to give a comparison, it would cost me roughly 25-40 dollars a week on groceries here, and I've found that if I put a backpack on and carry a bag in each hand, I can get home four to five bags of groceries in one single bike trip (Probobly closer to 4 instead of five though). If you live near the store and the school eliminating a car eliminates a HUGE expense, at least for me.

Bikes have no insurance, no gas, no repairs, no parking permit charges... they don't really cost anything :D! HURRAY FOR BIKES! DOWN WITH THE AUTO INDUSTRY!!! OUR GENERATION WILL TEACH 'EM FOR RAISING OUR PARENTS GAS PRICES!!!! MWAH HA HA HA!!!
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Sheenar » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:28 am

I have the Sunset Microwave Cook Book: Tips & Techniques --Over 200 recipes.
I'm not sure if it's still in print --its copyright is from 1981 (found it at my mom's house). It has some amazing-looking recipes in it (I haven't used it yet --I'm on a meal plan during the school year --and on limited funds).

This summer (since there's no meal plan), I've mostly bought the cheap and unhealthy stuff from the store and tried to get some healthy things --macaroni and cheese, tuna, Miracle Whip, Turkey lunchmeat, whole wheat bread, Ramen, Tyson Chicken nuggets --mostly because I'm too lazy to whip up a high quality meal in the microwave. It just takes a lot of work --and I don't have enough money to buy all the ingredients needed for one meal --the ingredients themselves are relatively inexpensive, but put them together at several meals a week and the cost is too much. Hence the cheap and not so healthy food (though I do buy canned green beans/Baked beans and eat a bowl of that for a meal --fresh vegetables don't keep very long around here --I tend to forget I bought them...). (Man, I miss having a stove! I want some baked tilapia!)

I am really looking forward to the meal plan kicking in again in a few weeks. Our cafeteria is actually not that bad --I can get a nice salad with spinach leaves and baked fish/chicken and fresh fruit --but they also have Blue Bell ice cream (a real temptation for me --especially Mocha Almond Fudge :drool:)--so they have both the good and bad.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Ashley » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:01 pm

As I said, my brother's going to live in Boston, which has an extensive subway system and bike trails--car expenses will not be an issue. Also, his school has a food allowance which is more than enough for groceries, so cost isn't so much an issue either. I was really just looking for a nice collection of recipes to help him out.
Ashley

Postby Technomancer » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:05 pm

The best all-around cookbook I can think of for him is the paperback version of The Fannie Farmer cookbook. It's got a lot of recipes plus a few guides on foods and preparation methods.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Sheenar » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:27 pm

Technomancer (post: 1250688) wrote:The best all-around cookbook I can think of for him is the paperback version of The Fannie Farmer cookbook. It's got a lot of recipes plus a few guides on foods and preparation methods.

YES!! I forgot about that one! My roommate had a copy back when we lived in an apartment --and it was so helpful! It helped me cook rice (a task I do not excel at) and know how long to boil eggs.
Definitely get that one. It's amazing!
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Return to General