Floridians Unite! (and everyone else too ^-^

Talk about anything in here.

Floridians Unite! (and everyone else too ^-^

Postby firestorm » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:42 am

I was chilling here inspired by an idea I have workins in my brain and was just wondering how many people here live in or around the State of Florida, and if not where do you live? Also how far would you be willing to travel if you found out if there was the first Christian Anime Convention happening somewhere in the US? (all this is just Idea now remember ok?)
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:05 am

I's sorries, but I live elsewhere u_u I've never been to Florida, but hope to visit there.. someday ^ ^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby chibiphonebooth » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:46 am

i'm actually in orlando right now, but i dont live here. XD
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Eddosan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:07 pm

I live in Florida.

But I don't go to anime conventions. Maybe if it was Christian, I would go. But gas prices are off the charts, so no. P:
Eddosan

Postby eternalprincess » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:08 pm

I'm a Texan and Arizonian. XD Though, I do often head to St. Augustine.

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:47 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]FLORIDIAN'S UNIIIIIITE!!!! :D[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:55 pm

I go to school in Lakeland, Florida, but I live in Maryland.

That being said, I don't really get everyone's fascination with a Christian Anime convention... x_x it seems it would be kind of... the same as any other anime convention, only that the participants are all Christian.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Sheenar » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:52 pm

I live in Texas --but would love to visit Florida someday.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby ADXC » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:13 pm

I live in North Carolina, but I don't know if I'd been willing to go that far.

Of course I would love to go to a CAA anime convention. It would be a good place to see everyone and have fun.

But hasn't there already been a thread like this?
ADXC

Postby NekoChan_C » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:34 pm

YAY! I'm a born and bred Florida gal!!! ^_^ I actually really like living here... It's great to have the ocean within a thirty minute drive! ...although it can be hot at times... >_>
http://myspace.com/shura_no_hana
XBox Gamertag: NekoChan Cruz
PSN Gamer ID: Neko no Ichi
http://neko-chan-cruz.livejournal.com/
NekoChan_C

Postby firestorm » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:41 pm

animedude90 (post: 1250029) wrote:I live in North Carolina, but I don't know if I'd been willing to go that far.

Of course I would love to go to a CAA anime convention. It would be a good place to see everyone and have fun.

But hasn't there already been a thread like this?

Well actually I was looking for that thread already today.

http://christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=47195

I know it would be expensive but I was at this point just wondering who would go if there was one.
For right now I know Yasumi con (the con happening down here in miami this weekend) is having a Christian artist in the artist gallery so I want to talk with him to see what he would thiink wheteher he would go or not.

Also, the anime club at my school is thinking of starting one so I'm figuring of asking them to let me have a booth that can be didcated to all christian manga/anime. I'm hoping that the Bible house store or Family Christian Book store that I go to would like to donate some so hopefully they will and it would be great if they can hand out some Manga Bibles too ^-^.

I think it would be a great idea for ministry esecially if we focus on that. Like an Anime con focused on bringing lost to Christ and bringing people to the knowledge that there are some good Christian manga to be read in this world that would so totally rock! I love it!
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Peanut » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:47 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1249976) wrote:I go to school in Lakeland, Florida, but I live in Maryland.

Same...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby ADXC » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:51 pm

Yeah that's the thread. I know it would be cool, but I don't know about Florida. I mean for everyone near it, that's okay.

It takes alot of preparation to make an anime convention. Alot of money, good guests, good Dealer's tables, good artist's alley, good game room, good movie room(s), and basically the works.

It's a good thought, but alot of preparation.
ADXC

Postby firestorm » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:28 am

animedude90 (post: 1250070) wrote:Yeah that's the thread. I know it would be cool, but I don't know about Florida. I mean for everyone near it, that's okay.

It takes alot of preparation to make an anime convention. Alot of money, good guests, good Dealer's tables, good artist's alley, good game room, good movie room(s), and basically the works.

It's a good thought, but alot of preparation.

When it gets really big we can do like a tour thing like one weeekend have it in florida the next have it in a different state.

I know we would have to prepare but hey if God wills it, it will happen ^-^. I'd be willing to prep it with help from people of course. Right now it's a good Idea to start it small and slowly grow. Like hopefully get some people interested in chrstian manga in the anime club's con and grow from there. I know people that would be willing to help prepare too. And if this artist guy at Yasumi con likes the Idea, all I have to do is get his number keep in contact and hopefully he'd be willing to come to it ^-^.

Aren't there voice actors from Full Metal Alchemist that are christian? I guess I have alot of preparing to do.

anyways I think this is one of a couple of questions I have for CAA but I want to see if there are other people who would like to have their say first ^-^

Postby RidleyofZebes » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:13 am

Alabamian here. Never been to Florida for some reason, though.
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby ADXC » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:10 pm

Actually there is a christian VA from FMA. Of course you already know who Im going to say, ...Vic Mignogna. Ive met him and he's very nice. Im not sure where Caitlin Glass stands though. But either way Im sure she would do a duo with Vic again. (Man that FMA panel was nice.)

Personally I think this would be wonderful, but it would take alot of preping and building up.

And you're right if it's God's will it will happen. Just look where we could be in 10 years. (I know I said that as a large increment of time, but it will take time. If you want a really great con, that's what you can expect as far as time wise.)

But I guess in you're other thread, it might be easier to smaller cons and build up from there. Why did you make another thread for that(I guess here would have been fine.)? Im sorry, it's just a pet peeve.
ADXC

Postby firestorm » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:25 pm

animedude90 (post: 1250366) wrote:Actually there is a christian VA from FMA. Of course you already know who Im going to say, ...Vic Mignogna. Ive met him and he's very nice. Im not sure where Caitlin Glass stands though. But either way Im sure she would do a duo with Vic again. (Man that FMA panel was nice.)

Personally I think this would be wonderful, but it would take alot of preping and building up.

And you're right if it's God's will it will happen. Just look where we could be in 10 years. (I know I said that as a large increment of time, but it will take time. If you want a really great con, that's what you can expect as far as time wise.)

But I guess in you're other thread, it might be easier to smaller cons and build up from there. Why did you make another thread for that(I guess here would have been fine.)? Im sorry, it's just a pet peeve.

Wow he's the dude that's Christian, isn't he like uber famous. The only thing I'm questioning is why did he go for the lead for AIR. I was reading wikipedia to check it out and found out that it started out as a hentai game. why would he do voice acting for something like that? wouldn't that damage his testimony? sounds fishy to me. I'd be happy to meet him though to ask him that and other questions.

And true about the prepping. The funds is also where it's gonna hit hard. i'm going to have to find places that would like to donate stuff to us or let them rent out spaces for free or something. I'm just skimming the water now with prepping for the anime club's club rush booth (we're gonna do a minicon set with game tourneys anime and a seminar for concerned parents about what their child is watching and what they should watch out for.)

So it's already a little hectic to me.

Anyways the reason why I created an extra thread really was because I was afraid of either the question getting lost in replies to the first one or having to look through it a tad more carefully to find replies that have to do with the second question rather than the first. but I'll just post my other questions ther if it's more convenient.

Postby ADXC » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:35 pm

Ah that's why.

He either probably didn't know that it was originally an H game or it's because the show is not an Hentai. Which is not to my knowledge. He may not have cared where it started, he probably just cared about what part he had in the show. Like if it was a clean part in a clean show.

And believe me he's a great christian. I was with him in some of his panels and even got to talk a little with him. He's on the up and up. Plus in the FMA panel, he did not answer a yaoi/hentai question and said he was not into that kind of stuff.

He also let me buy one of his piano christian music cds. And the music is great!

So don't be suspicious of him.

Of course it will be alot of work, but if alot of people came together I bet it could happen.
ADXC

Postby firestorm » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:55 pm

animedude90 (post: 1250379) wrote:Ah that's why.

He either probably didn't know that it was originally an H game or it's because the show is not an Hentai. Which is not to my knowledge. He may not have cared where it started, he probably just cared about what part he had in the show. Like if it was a clean part in a clean show.

And believe me he's a great christian. I was with him in some of his panels and even got to talk a little with him. He's on the up and up. Plus in the FMA panel, he did not answer a yaoi/hentai question and said he was not into that kind of stuff.

He also let me buy one of his piano christian music cds. And the music is great!

So don't be suspicious of him.

Of course it will be alot of work, but if alot of people came together I bet it could happen.

Sounds like a great guy. it must have been an honor to talk to him. I would love to meet him one day.

Yeah, I heard he was doing some christian music cds. He's also doing the Gospel of John (the Message translation) set to piano too that would be awesome. I'll still probably ask him that question to see what he says or to see what his story is with that (not trying to be suspsicious with this comment but I do want to see what he says) but he seems awesome.

I'm going to have to look up the other actors info to find out if their christian then.

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:08 am

My travel distance is exclusively dependant on my financial status at the time of the event, or more commonly, several weeks to months before.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby AJV » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:27 am

I'm Floridian and proud of it!:grin:
I think i would be cool to have a Christian Anime Con over here in the Sunshine State and going though different states each weekend.
I would be glad to help out if I could, not sure with what,but I think I might have some ideas.:sweat:

Sounds Fun!:)
[url=ajvsblog.blogspot.com]Image[/url]ImageImage
AJV

Postby AsianBlossom » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:15 am

It's hot, muggy, and good news on TV is hard to come by. Don't want to sound like I'm downplaying the State I've spent about 10 years of my life growing up in, but it's like you turn on the news and there's always another shooting, stabbing, robbery, abduction, home invasion, hit-and-run, or some other miscellaneous crime being reported. *shakes head* It's too much, I tell you! Too much! o___o

But I think it's cool that Vic M. also sings at least two of the One Piece themes in English...the first and fourth ones. ^_^ (Not the 4Kids rap junk!!)
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:54 pm

AsianBlossom (post: 1250428) wrote:It's hot, muggy, and good news on TV is hard to come by. Don't want to sound like I'm downplaying the State I've spent about 10 years of my life growing up in, but it's like you turn on the news and there's always another shooting, stabbing, robbery, abduction, home invasion, hit-and-run, or some other miscellaneous crime being reported. *shakes head* It's too much, I tell you! Too much! o___o

Welcome to all of America. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby SailorDove » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:23 pm

Well, I'd have to agree with Mechana on the timing of the event and the fullness of my pocketbook syncing. But do have some relatives down in FL and never got a chance to go down there yet. It would be nice to visit and "kill 2 birds with one stone". ;)
Naruto Fanfic: Kokoro of Konoha by Sailor Dove

What is the power of the weak and the weakness of power?

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:38 pm

I live in FL . . . for what that's worth. I spend most of my time at college in TN right now.

A "Christian" anime convention, frankly, is little more than a pipe dream. At least, it is from my perspective. You have to gauge the size of your target audience (i.e. Christian anime lovers in a certain area) and the ability for said audience to pool enough resources to fund a con (very unlikely). Your best bet is just to meet at a con like MetroCon that already exists. Besides, then you will actually have things like vendors and panels with hosts people have heard of and things like that. Sorry if I sound like a naysayer, but the truth is that a "Christian" anime convention of significant size isn't going to happen.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby ADXC » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:52 pm

@ Rai-Maybe not if you keep naysaying! Just kidding. I know it's not realistic, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. If God wants it to, it will. But that's a big if. So Im not really sure about anything. And the logical side to take is it won't happen. Also what do you considering significant in size as far as how many attend? 100, 1000, 5000, 20000, or more?
ADXC

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:00 pm

animedude90 (post: 1250585) wrote:@ Rai-Maybe not if you keep naysaying! Just kidding. I know it's not realistic, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. If God wants it to, it will. But that's a big if. So Im not really sure about anything. And the logical side to take is it won't happen. Also what do you considering significant in size as far as how many attend? 100, 1000, 5000, 20000, or more?

"Significant" meaning "similar to 'non-Christian' conventions". You know, MetroCon, Otakon, AX, etc. Big enough to draw the attention of the industry itself. You are correct in saying "If God wants . . .," but I don't think God necessarily "wants" copies of everything that "non-Christian" culture has, but with the "Christian" label.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby ADXC » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:05 pm

Oh you are probably right then. *Gives up hope*
ADXC

Postby firestorm » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:30 pm

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1250589) wrote:"Significant" meaning "similar to 'non-Christian' conventions". You know, MetroCon, Otakon, AX, etc. Big enough to draw the attention of the industry itself. You are correct in saying "If God wants . . .," but I don't think God necessarily "wants" copies of everything that "non-Christian" culture has, but with the "Christian" label.

.rai//

i do believe that's true but the intention was never just about creating a label for christian comfort, but it was for reaching to people. Jesus wasn't afraid of going to the people to reach out to them. I believe through this people will come to know Christ. this was for 2 purposes:

1.) to reach our Japanese bred generation for Christ. that's first and foremost. Many won't come to church but they'll come to a con. it was never meant for Christians only. Christ asked us to reach everyone. We're just trying to do what he asked.
2.) to provide those God loves great media and storylines they can enjoy while not feeling guilty of watching it because either there is cussing, sexual content, or bad Religious content.
(Just a hypothetical question not trying to be mean)
If Jesus were sitting next to you while watching an anime with cussing (even just one), would he approve?

I think he wants us to lead the culture instead of following it which is why I'm trying to get new ideas that has never been tried at anime cons before. Different is good, and while of course the main things (artist alley, dealer rooms) would still be there, I believe alot of people would be come because they've never quite seen an con like this. The New improved anime con, and eventually become The Christian Media Entertainment Expo, the convention showing all the leading Christian entertainment in the industry including and especially new mediums never explored before.

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:58 pm

@animedude90 - Are you being sarcastic? I'm not trying to get people to "give up hope". I want people to think about what they're getting hopes up for.

firestorm (post: 1250602) wrote:i do believe that's true but the intention was never just about creating a label for christian comfort, but it was for reaching to people. Jesus wasn't afraid of going to the people to reach out to them. I believe through this people will come to know Christ. this was for 2 purposes:

1.) to reach our Japanese bred generation for Christ. that's first and foremost. Many won't come to church but they'll come to a con. it was never meant for Christians only. Christ asked us to reach everyone. We're just trying to do what he asked.
2.) to provide those God loves great media and storylines they can enjoy while not feeling guilty of watching it because either there is cussing, sexual content, or bad Religious content.
(Just a hypothetical question not trying to be mean)
If Jesus were sitting next to you while watching an anime with cussing (even just one), would he approve?

I think he wants us to lead the culture instead of following it which is why I'm trying to get new ideas that has never been tried at anime cons before. Different is good, and while of course the main things (artist alley, dealer rooms) would still be there, I believe alot of people would be come because they've never quite seen an con like this. The New improved anime con, and eventually become The Christian Media Entertainment Expo, the convention showing all the leading Christian entertainment in the industry including and especially new mediums never explored before.

1) What makes you think they'll come to your "Christian" con instead of any other? Why would they prefer it? And what's this "Japanese bred generation"? If these people you mention won't set foot in a church, why would they come to a con chock-full of "church people"?

2) Why do you need a "Christian" con for this? You need creators for this. Plus, is media devoid of any "objectionable" content realistic? Will people actually be able to identify with it? We don't live in a G-rated world.

Hypothetical: He very well might. I'd love to get His specific input, but He doesn't exactly have one-on-one conversations, you know? He just gave me a book.

You say you're trying to lead the culture, but all you've got right now is "we need new ideas". Let's worry about putting something together when we've actually got something new to offer. Again, what would make your dream con "unique"? It's good to have dreams, but I don't see anything concrete here. Speculate as you will, but realize that you don't really have much of anything to go on yet.

Also, here's a question: If this is really just a vehicle for evangelism (which seems to be what you're saying), why do you think people would want that, especially over a "normal" con (where all their friends/favorite VAs/etc. will be)? It seems very "bait-and-switch" to me. Hey, kids, here's a new anime con in town- but wait, we really just want to tell you about Jesus! Does that represent Him well? I'm not sure.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

Raiden no Kishi

Next

Return to General