Bokken Fighting! @_@

Talk about anything in here.

Bokken Fighting! @_@

Postby Dante » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:53 pm

Does anyone else on CAA practice fighting with bokkens? I have two, but its easier with one then both, and in fact I'm almost better with one still. It is rather difficult to practice by oneself though, and you can't judge just how well the technique's you develop would work in real combat.

Anyone else trying to learn? Especially trying to figure out an ellegant solution to the use of two bokkens simultaneously (how do you flip these things around in a rapid spin with only one hand without letting it float in the air for a second... it works but sometimes it falls to the ground because you miss...)

-Pascal
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Kunoichi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:56 am

I own a bokken and while i have not "formally" studied, they say that if you learn the bokken you can learn any weapon. Whether or not that is true, I'm not sure.
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby oro! » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:26 pm

I also own a bokken and a shinai, although they've only seen one lesson. I did have some fun "tournaments" with my little cousins, though. Wood hitting hand, though, is a big dissuader(i.e. I never got any armor).
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:38 pm

Bokken themselves are simply for establishing technique. If you want to beat people up you need to pick up some Shinai. :D
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Danderson » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:36 pm

I own one and I had taken some lessons a few years ago....haven't really touched it since.....Man, I really need to start practicing again......
Danderson

Postby KBMaster » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:46 pm

I have a bokken but I had to quit karate around the time that we started using them. My brothers have some too and like to go out in the yard and play-fight with them. I haven't really even used mine since I was in karate.
KBMaster

Postby Esoteric » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:58 pm

I have two bokken which I occasionally practice suburi (swinging) and katas (routines) with. Proper technique takes years of frequent practice.
Anyone else trying to learn? Especially trying to figure out an ellegant solution to the use of two bokkens simultaneously (how do you flip these things around in a rapid spin with only one hand without letting it float in the air for a second... it works but sometimes it falls to the ground because you miss...)

Hehe, somehow I don't think spinning one in the air is a sound fighting technique, but just for playing around I know it's fun. Truly effective techniques aren't flashy at all--two sword technique especially.
Esoteric

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:57 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1247915) wrote:Bokken themselves are simply for establishing technique. If you want to beat people up you need to pick up some Shinai. :D

This is quite true. The story of Miyamoto Musashi killing a man with a wooden "sword" is not farfetched. Factor in adrenaline, and it's no wonder kendo (which uses shinai!) is practiced in armor. If you're going to be fighting, even if for practice, you'll want padding.

That said, have loads of fun so long as you're careful. Check your shinai for damage before use - if it breaks, it could leave sharp points that will easily kill.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby That Dude » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:14 pm

I've owned a few bokkens and also sadly broken a few. I mostly just mess around with them, I have a hard time finding people who are actually willing to spar with me...
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Dante » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:46 pm

Too bad you didn't live in Flagstaff :P I'd spar with you!
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby That Dude » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:00 pm

Well I might have a few people to spar with over the winter thankfully.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Dante » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:33 pm

:P Lucky! (Maybe I'll have to convince my roomates)
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby That Dude » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:08 pm

Yeah I am pretty lucky.
That Dude

Return to General