Earthquake in California

Talk about anything in here.

Earthquake in California

Postby Maledicte » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:31 pm

At around 11:45 this morning, estimated 5.8 scale, epicenter around 30 miles from Chino Hills. Effects felt as far away as San Diego.

I had just woken up. D:

How's everyone else doing?
Maledicte

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:33 pm

I was at Target. I picked up my Freakazoid DVD, then there was suddenly an Earthquake.

It seemed appropriate enough. XD
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Nightshade X » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:45 pm

I was in the mall, picking up my copy of Soul Calibur IV... then the earthquake hit.

That also seemed appropriate.
Nightshade X

Postby king atlantis » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:02 pm

my father was in san diego, and said he felt it alittle....

my step mother was in La. they evacuated the hospital she is working at :/
im a back.
king atlantis

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:08 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1249191) wrote:I was at Target. I picked up my Freakazoid DVD, then there was suddenly an Earthquake.

It seemed appropriate enough. XD

Strangely, that made my day. :grin:
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:25 pm

Lol, you guys.. xD;

I live in the future.. meaning in the east, but there was one time when we had a quickie earthquake that originated near Chicago O_O It happened at 5:30 in the morning. I didn't feel anything, but I did wake up at that time. My sister said she felt her bed shake then my baby nephew woke up and started crying o.o;

Stupid question, but I forgot, is 5.8 big o.o?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:40 pm

I JUST found out about this... I hope everyone's alright. My gosh, I'm glad my area doesn't have earthquakes...one of the SMALL perks of living in Kansas.

I heard it was a mixture of rolling and swaying... O_O I hope everyone's okay...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:42 pm

We have very tiny ones if we do have any, but still.. earthquakes=scary /o.o\

Sounds like you guys are alright ^^ Lets keep it that way :hug:
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby king atlantis » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:51 pm

hhaha
my step bro just emailed me saying it lasted all of 30seconds :p
and no damage- at least that he can tell.
im a back.
king atlantis

Postby Lilac#18 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:17 pm

Nope, didn't feal anything. I live in Northern California.
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:18 pm

I don't understand the fear of Earthquakes. I actually think that as long as no one gets hurt, they are a ton of fun. XD
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:50 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1249223) wrote:I don't understand the fear of Earthquakes. I actually think that as long as no one gets hurt, they are a ton of fun. XD

True, but still ^ ^

*Thinks of an earthquake as a ride* xDD
Tsukuyomi

Postby Debitt » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:55 pm

I was up real late last night, so I slept in. And woke up to the earthquake. At first I thought it was my brother shaking my bed to wake me up. XD

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1249223) wrote:I don't understand the fear of Earthquakes. I actually think that as long as no one gets hurt, they are a ton of fun. XD
Probably because Discovery Channel kills it with their whole IT'S NOT A QUESTION OF IF THE KILLER EARTHQUAKE THAT SINKS THE WEST COAST COMES, IT'S WHEN angle. If we're not living gripped in the all-consuming terror of an inconvenient volcanic eruption off the coast of Hawaii, they're not doing their job.
Fish and Chips

Postby Maledicte » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:28 pm

I'd just lay in bed and enjoy the full-body massage, if I wasn't on a rickety loft bed XD
Maledicte

Postby NekoChan_C » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:02 pm

wow. I didn't even hear about this! I ... don't watch the news... >_> but I am SO glad that everyone's okay! I live waaaaaay at the other end of the world (i.e. Florida) and the closest I've ever come to a quake was the Earthquake ride at Universal... which I adored... still, glad there wasn't major, horrific damage!
http://myspace.com/shura_no_hana
XBox Gamertag: NekoChan Cruz
PSN Gamer ID: Neko no Ichi
http://neko-chan-cruz.livejournal.com/
NekoChan_C

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:25 pm

*sigh of relief*

I have at least two friends out in California. I know at least one's okay (she's the one that told me about it to begin with). I'm hoping the other is too... You're sure nobody was hurt?

I'm glad we don't get earthquakes here. We get hurricanes, but not many in the area I live in. Granted, those aren't much better, but at least they're somewhat predictable.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby sapphire_shine » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:51 pm

sorry,I don't live in Californa D:

But I hope everyone is ok......
We get torandos were I live though 0.0 *is scared of weather* *hides behind computer*
sapphire_shine

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:59 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1249239) wrote:... volcanic eruption off the coast of Hawaii, they're not doing their job.

Volcanoes.. I fear them.. I should have never watched "Dante's Peak" >_<
Tsukuyomi

Postby Amzi Live » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:21 pm

SirThinks2Much (post: 1249189) wrote:
I had just woken up. D:

Guess that's what woke you up heh?
I only get hurricanes.*sigh*
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:29 pm

I felt the earthquake, and then a huge chunk of concrete fell off a nearby building and crushed me under it. This post is typed posthumously by my vengeful shade.

Er, I felt the earthquake. I was out by USC at the time, so it didn't seem too bad. I made a point of not driving under anything during it, though.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:33 pm

I don't enjoy them, but maybe its because I've been in one too many lethal earthquakes. This particular one was scary to me because we DID have damage to the place I was at (part of the ceiling came down with signs and vents on it), and it was sheer luck that no one got hurt.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby AsianBlossom » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:57 pm

Well, I'm hoping no one was hurt.

And yes, I'm another person who deals with not earthquakes, but hurricanes. Actually, there was a minor earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico once, like last year or so...only the people snorkeling could hear anything (they said it was loud), but it went by unnoticed to everyone on shore and in boats. But it was still an earthquake. Weird, huh?
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:13 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1249254) wrote:I'm glad we don't get earthquakes here. We get hurricanes, but not many in the area I live in. Granted, those aren't much better, but at least they're somewhat predictable.
I like that no matter where you live, Earth is there to kill you.
Fish and Chips

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1249369) wrote:I like that no matter where you live, Earth is there to kill you.

Lol, can't you just imagine violins playing.. a certain tune xD?

We get floods since it's such a low elevated area, but nothing severe.. I really hope it stays that way too, because I can't swim (no density)..

*Only knows how to sink.. and drown* O.O;
Tsukuyomi

Postby Ingemar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:52 pm

I was at work, working when the earthquake struck and I... didn't feel it.

As far south as San Diego? Bollocks.

Unless I was working so hard that I couldn't possibly have felt it. Apparently my coworkers felt it. I demand a raise.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:12 pm

AsianBlossom (post: 1249346) wrote:And yes, I'm another person who deals with not earthquakes, but hurricanes. Actually, there was a minor earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico once, like last year or so...only the people snorkeling could hear anything (they said it was loud), but it went by unnoticed to everyone on shore and in boats. But it was still an earthquake. Weird, huh?

I remember hearing about that.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:25 pm

Ingemar (post: 1249413) wrote:Unless I was working so hard that I couldn't possibly have felt it. Apparently my coworkers felt it. I demand a raise.

XD

I have never experienced an earthquake or hurricane.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:01 am

I was in class when it happened... Every single person in the class ducked under a table, except one guy who laughed at all of us... This guy has decent modelings skill but the personality somewhere between Beavis and Butthead, only not as aggressive...

In any case, I freaked out because I couldn't call home for over half an hour. I read on the news there were no injuries, but I was afraid my twig of a TV stand may have collapsed onto my PS3 and DVD player... Plus, I couldn't be sure the news was right about it, since it was so soon after.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Paul » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:13 am

Well, it sounds like it was quite a ride.

When I lived in So. California in 1992 I was in Landers/Bigbear earthquake. It was an 8.1 event and I was driving about twenty miles from the epicenter on Hwy 62, just out of 29 Palms ca. when it hit. What A ride!

Now I live in the Kansas City area and have been through the Missouri 93 flood, and at least 5 tornado events since 93. Whew!!! Will the fun ever stop. I'm am quite thankful because God always brought me through. I always stop and reflect on it as experiencing grace.

My mom lives in Joshua Tree Ca, and she felt the Chino Hills quake too.
Paul
Paul

Next

Return to General