Argh! SPIDERS @_@

Talk about anything in here.

Argh! SPIDERS @_@

Postby Dante » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:21 pm

So. I currently have a "slight" spider problem. I've been up here for two weeks and I've had four giant spiders, two of which were seen tonight... I squashed one... the other one is under my bed X_X. They look like grass spiders, but grass spiders look like hobo spiders... one bad, the other one good. The weird part is that I have no clue where they are coming from, I don't see them in the halls, and they are REALLY big, I mean including the legs, they are about an inch to an inch and a quarter and can run like NUTS! Plus aren't grass and hobo spiders supposed to live in webs? WHY ARE THEY WANDERING AROUND MY ROOM NEXT TO MY SHOES (They blend perfectly with the carpeting in here too).

Anyone else live in Flagstaff AZ have lots of these buggers?
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby MBlight » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:36 am

Well, I live in South Africa and I'm not sure what spiders you're talking about... but we have Red Romans here at the coast. They run darn fast, they're soooooo ugly and they're EVERYWHERE. They just freak me out... but then, so do all spiders...
I am a Rat Activist!

My Blog: http://mhitchens.wordpress.com

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:53 am

Hey Pascal,
Sorry to hear about your spider problem. Ugh. I am kind of phobic of spiders...even the itty bitty ones scare me half to death (I had one crawling around my desk at work and I had to get one of my supervisors to kill it for me)

Anyway, I found this website and it may help you to ID your little invaders:

Spiders in Tuscon, AZ

If those are brown recluse spiders, then you should be concerned. Otherwise, they're harmless (meaning any bites won't be life-threatening).

Have you tried calling pest control? If you live in a dorm, then your RA should be able to call somebody for you to spray the area for spiders.

I'm currently having a similar cricket problem, so I feel your pain. O.O
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:50 am

I don't live in AZ, but those sound like Wolf spiders. They live just about... everywhere in the U.S. and they can get friggin' huge. Plus, they're fast runners, which sounds exactly like your problem.

My suggestion: Search and destroy them spiderz. They're basically harmless to humans, the bite may be painful so be careful. If they are Wolf spiders, you do not want these guys breeding in your house. Srsly. They carry their babies on their back, which means if you squish the mom... yeah, babies everywhere.

But yeeaaah, good luck with that. I don't like spiders either. Just be glad you don't have to deal with centipedes on your ceiling. 8D
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Doubleshadow » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:38 am

No! Don't smoosh the spiders!

I love spiders (unless they are black widows, then death is imminent), and have been known to rescue them from spider killers on more than one occasion; that and the fact the all my male friends were arachnophobes and I was the only person willing to go near a Daddy Long Legs in the first place.

They are infinitely more afraid of you than you are of them and they eat ticks, mosquitoes, fruit flies, and numerous other things that annoy me and most other people (possible pun averted). They are rather cool if you give them a chance, and tarantulas and wolf spiders are fuzzy and cute. Although anything that looks like a black widow triggers my "squish it!" response, as long as it is not actually a black widow and not in a location where I have to move it, like my bed or the corner of the ceiling or something, I live and let eat mosquitoes.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby AsianBlossom » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:50 am

I say you should try to catch them and toss them outside (well, maybe not literally toss) but if they're not dangerous, you'd at least be getting them out of your house, right? 'Sides, there are plenty of bugs outside for them to eat (is somewhat creeped out by spiders).

Speaking of which, want to see some Strawhats freak out over a spider? (it's only one part of the clip...there used to be one with that part primarily but it was taken down...and remember, it's YouTube, so I don't recommend wandering) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=339us6gTF30
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:26 am

I got my house sprayed in the spring for bugs...it's not a 100 percent effective but I've not seen TOO many spiders this summer. ugh.. my room is in my basement...

But yeah if it's just a wolf spider I wouldn't worry... I thought hobo spiders were harmless?

And to correct some people:
Just because you get bit by a brown recluse or a Black widow does NOT mean insta-death'd. Some peopel have been known to not even get treatment for a brown recluse bite and still live. Although, I would suggest seeing a doctor, because you can get pretty sick from them. A lady at my church was sick for a while, but her doctor only told her to take benadryl for it, and to come back for checkups regularly. O_o
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby ADXC » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:56 am

@ Christian Kitsune- How right you are about not people not dieing from those bits. If it's left untreated the victim will(Im tempted to say might, but I don't know.) suffer death, but if gotten to a doctor fast enough they can still live just a fine before they got bit. I know a guy that works for my dad that got bit by both(Brown Recluse and Black Widow.) while he was working in his garage(The place you will probably see them the most.) and he went to the doctor and they cured him.

Ive got Riddex Plus so I hope I don't see too many other spiders. Riddex plus is a thing you plug into an outlet and then it lends sound vibrations through your wiring(Of course people can't hear it.) and that makes the bugs leave your house.
ADXC

Postby KagayakiWashi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Well, at least you'll never go hungry.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:10 pm

Spiders.. I usually spray them with what ever is near >_>; Especially, with air freshener when in the bathroom 8D Not sure if that would work for you, Pascal ^ ^;

The best of luck to you and keep us updated, kk ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby LiquidOcelot » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:15 pm

I agree with Doubleshadow that spiders are helpful in terms of getting rid of other annoying insects. But, if they multiply inside and there's a lot of webs. It can be an annoying problem as well. If I find one I try to toss them outside instead of smushing them.
LiquidOcelot

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:24 pm

I usually try to toss them outside as well. But if they're somewhere where I can't catch them (like in a cup with a piece of paper underneath), then I snipe at them from a distance with some Orange Clean. XD
I'm terrified of spiders. (And now crickets...:sweat: --of course, roaches too. We have HUGE ones here! O.O)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Doubleshadow » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:49 pm

Sheenar (post: 1248892) wrote:I usually try to toss them outside as well. But if they're somewhere where I can't catch them (like in a cup with a piece of paper underneath), then I snipe at them from a distance with some Orange Clean. XD
I'm terrified of spiders. (And now crickets...:sweat: --of course, roaches too. We have HUGE ones here! O.O)

"They got big ol' bugs in Florida with big ol' 'Welcome to Florida!' signs."

Although I know you're not from Florida, it made me think of that.

The Sundries
Doubleshadow

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:25 pm

RRRWWWWAAAAARRRRRR! XD

Mr. SmartyPants

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:03 pm

Isn't this cute?

CrimsonRyu17

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:07 pm

O_O this thread...is rapidly losing my interest...because
I HATE SPIDERS AND YOU GUYS ARE POSTINGS THEM >_<
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby bakura_fan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:37 pm

I don't mind the bigger spiders as much as the small ones. The small ones freak me out the most because they can jump and get on you and the hardest time getting off. Actually any small creepy crawlies are a big issue with me. At the moment our problem is ants in the kitchen...no matter how much poison bait or anything they always come in a different way and create a new trail somewhere...=_= I accidentally stepped on their "line" and they were crawling all over me after that...*shudders*
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby KBMaster » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:47 pm

Sheenar (post: 1248892) wrote: I'm terrified of spiders. (And now crickets...:sweat: --of course, roaches too. We have HUGE ones here! O.O)

Oh my gosh, someone who shares my fear of crickets! Spiders don't really bother me, although I see a fair share of them in my room, but crickets! Those horrible black crickets! Those big crickets that chirp in my room! *shudders* I spare no mercy for the crickets. I find my heaviest shoes and throw them at it. Of course, I also spare no mercy for the spiders, but that's because it's kinder than to let the cats play with them for hours until they die.
KBMaster

Postby Nia-chan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:13 pm

ChristianKitsune (post: 1248961) wrote:O_O this thread...is rapidly losing my interest...because
I HATE SPIDERS AND YOU GUYS ARE POSTINGS THEM >_<

^Agree lol Wasn't expecting that when I scrolled down... my heart started pounding just seeing them

My spider tactics involve me and a vacuum with the longest attachment I can get :(
Don't make me hit you with my pocketbook :angel:
Nia-chan

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:25 pm

My favorite spider tactics are illegal until my next birthday, when I can legally own handguns.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 pm

Sorry to hear about the spider problem. :(

AH! O_O Did you have to post the BIG spiders?

T_T
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Although...a couple of years ago..there was a spider thread...and they posted a Camel Spider (they're from Iraq) GYAAAH TALK ABOUT CREEPY!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:41 am

CrimsonRyu17

Postby Doubleshadow » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:40 am

That is so pretty! I want to hold it and pet it. @ MSP

XD @ Crimmy.

A small spider used to live under my printer and everyday it would crawl up my arm. Eventually, I decided to move him over near my window so he could eat the fruit flies that were after my bananas. It made itself at home in my terrarium and has been quite happy ever since as far as I know.

The Sundries
Doubleshadow

Postby Sheenar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:58 am

Doubleshadow (post: 1249150) wrote:A small spider used to live under my printer and everyday it would crawl up my arm. Eventually, I decided to move him over near my window so he could eat the fruit flies that were after my bananas. It made itself at home in my terrarium and has been quite happy ever since as far as I know.

Good for you, DS. It sounds like it was happy. But I would never be able to let a spider crawl up my arm.

Spiders give me a bad case of the jibblies.

Sheenar

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:52 am

ChristianKitsune (post: 1249107) wrote:Although...a couple of years ago..there was a spider thread...and they posted a Camel Spider (they're from Iraq) GYAAAH TALK ABOUT CREEPY!

You mean THIS?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:44 am

There are only three types of spiders I actually like.

First, Jumping Spiders. I rly like these, they're hilarious and actually cute.
Second, Gandaddy Long-Legs. Harmless, and I let these guys walk all over me.
Third, dead spiders.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby GeneD » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:20 pm

I usually don't mind spiders, but it depends on how big they are and where they are. If in my room or the bathroom, I usually try to catch and remove them. My aunt is a big spider-lover and freaks out if we kill any. That said, however, beating a troublesome spider with a stick is very good stress relief.

MBlight mentioned the so called Red Romans we have. I wasn't going to post a pick, but changed my mind. I actually found out they are related to that monstrosity Mr. SmartyPants posted.

Warning: this is not a pretty sight.
http://z.about.com/d/phoenix/1/0/a/r/1/creaturekirkhart03.jpg

Not only do they run really fact, but they also run after your shadow, which can get really creepy. Best way to deal with them is a well-aimed shoe.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:11 am

KYAAA!!!! SpIDERS!!!

*we get little teeny baby ones hatching by the thousands.. takes a while to get 'em all*
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:48 am

Is it a coincidence I read this thread and then that very night/next morning a spider waltzed into my room O__O?

It was huge.. black.. and did I mention it was HUGE :o?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Next

Return to General