Nose piercing

Talk about anything in here.

Nose piercing

Postby KBMaster » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:30 pm

I'm thinking about getting my nose pierced. I know it'll probably hurt like getting my ears pierced did, but what I'm more concerned about is my allergies. I have them VERY bad and I'm a very... sneeze-y person. I sneeze when it's hot, when it's cold, if I'm outside or inside. I just sneeze a lot. I am the one who keeps the tissue companies going, lol. But I digress. Given this fact, would anyone still recommend it?
KBMaster

Postby avidrkfan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:51 pm

I'd say be sure to do your research before you decide. Just a quick google search came up with several sites on the medical problems that can happen with face piercings. Here's some I found in one article:

"Certain sites on the body can cause more problems than others — infection is a common complication of mouth and nose piercings because of the millions of bacteria that live in those areas. Tongue piercings can damage teeth over time. And tongue, cheek, and lip piercings can cause gum problems.

Studies have shown that people with certain types of heart disease might have a higher risk of developing a heart infection after body piercing. If you have a medical problem such as allergies, diabetes, skin disorders, a condition that affects your immune system, or infections — or if you are pregnant — ask your doctor if there are any special concerns you should have or precautions you should take beforehand. Also, it's not a good idea to get a body piercing if you're prone to getting keloids (an overgrowth of scar tissue in the area of the wound).

If all goes well, you should be fine after a body piercing except for some temporary symptoms, including some pain, swelling at the pierced area, and in the case of a tongue piercing, increased saliva. But be aware that several things, including the following, can go wrong in some cases:

chronic infection
uncontrollable or prolonged bleeding
scarring
hepatitis B and C
tetanus
skin allergies to the jewelry that's used
abscesses or boils (collections of pus that can form under your skin at the site of the piercing)
inflammation or nerve damage"
avidrkfan

Postby bakura_fan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:56 pm

I haven't done any research, however just from what you listed I wouldn't. You'd probably have a harder time keeping infections out (since any dust or dirt that gets blown around gets caught in your nose hairs to keep it out of your lungs). I have nothing against people getting em pierced, just concern for infection(for any piercing) is all I have. It does remind of that Zits comic, where Pierce gets that cold, takes out his nose piercings and runs a hanky through the holes. Wish I could find it again.
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:15 pm

Just from a physical perspective, a nose piercing's just going to be in the way for taking care of your nose, and could possibly invite infection. I'd advise against it, personally. Of course, I'd advise against it on aesthetic grounds (I have never seen a particularly classy-looking nose piercing on either sex), but . . .

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby KBMaster » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Well, even an ear piercing is opening invitation to infection, but I'm very good about cleaning my earrings because I want to prevent infection. I just found this on about.com:
About.com wrote: I want to get my nose pierced, but I have allergies and get colds in the winter. How do you blow your nose?
Once a nose (nostril or septum) piercing is healed, blowing your nose is as simple as if it weren't pierced. The jewelry really doesn't get in the way, and you learn to work around it if it does. But the first few weeks, during the healing process, it will be difficult to relieve your sinuses. It is best to keep this in mind when making an appointment to get your nose pierced - the peak of allergy season or flu season is not a good time to do this.

Getting the piercing can even lower your immune system and make you more prone to illness. Take vitamins to keep your immune system healthy and keep up with your allergy medication to avoid excessive mucus in the sinus cavities. If you must blow, do so carefully and thoroughly clean your piercing afterward.

I think a nose piercing would be safer than a mouth piercing(personally I think those are just stupid). Thanks for all your help guys! If I do get one, I'll keep it clean and all that. I know it's inviting infection, but isn't ear piercing about the same?

@Rai: Different folks, different strokes. :) I personally don't think they look good on guys, but I think studs(not those horrific minotaur rings between the nostrils) on a girl look cute.
KBMaster

Postby Bunny » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:32 pm

I don't think sneezing is going to cause you a lot of problems with a nose piercing.

I got one last summer and it was very quick and painless. I had no problems with it initially but the one thing that I didn't take into account is that I heal very sloooowwwly. Especially with piercings. It took me over a year of cleaning my ears constantly before they healed completely and didn't hurt anymore. In the case of my nose, that got unbearable.
So if you take awhile to heal, a nose piercing is going to get very annoying. I wound up taking mine out and letting it close.

If you heal a little more quickly, then you'll find the hole will conform to whatever size ring or stud you use and sneezy mucus won't get in there or even if it does, it's very easy to clean. Just be sure to clean it often with completely neutral, antibacterial soap. Most piercers will recommend Dial. Make sure there is absolutely no fragrance or it will irritate you and sting like crazy.

As for class and appearance, only you can decide what you like. You can make it very obvious or very subtle. I always wore a tiny jewel stud in mine that was barely even noticeable unless someone was really staring. A lot of people didn't ever know I had one but it made me happy to know I had it.

Test it out. If you don't like it, it'll close pretty quickly. Mine closed in about two days after I'd had it in for about six months. Just don't let anyone rip you off with piercing prices. I got mine done at a tattoo parlor in Panama City and got charged $50. I definitely wouldn't pay more than that.
"So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the LORD. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor."

2 Samuel 6: 21&22

"I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God."

Bunny

Postby KagayakiWashi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:19 am

Just start everyday with allergy medicine. I sneeze alot too, and it seems like Wal-Mart's chloratabs work pretty good.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby chibiphonebooth » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:11 pm

i have a nose piercing. sneezing and runny noses and stuff... it doesn't really effect it that much.

the hole is so small that stuff doesn't really get in it at all. on top of it, they give you a salt water cleaning solution to take care of it when you first get it pierced.

also, it hurts less than getting your ears pierced. i've had my nose pierced for about 4 years now?

its really not as weird as you think it is. you really end up not even noticing it. XD
if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Kaligraphic » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:38 pm

Get a giant bone through your nose and claim to be from some remote tribe. Always good for a few laughs, eh?
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby FukuokaGirl » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:56 pm

Hmmm... I don't know if I'm too late to chime in, but here it is anyway.

I have my nose pierced and like Savannah said, I don't think it's a really big deal.
I also have allergies but I don't have any problem with blowing my nose. It also depends on what style of jewelry you have in your nose and what size it is.

If you really want it, and it you are rather clean about your piercing, it shouldn't be a problem in holding ou back from getting it. ^___^
Best luck with whatever decision you come to!
"They do exist, the places you can live renewed." -Nobuta wo Produce
[align=left]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[align=center]思い出せば遙か遙か 未来はどこまでも輝いてた きれいな青空の下で 僕らは少しだけ怯えていた

[/align]
[/align]
[size=75]

[/SIZE]
FukuokaGirl

Return to General