ramen

Talk about anything in here.

Postby minakichan » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:18 pm

whats udon? is it similar to ramen in any way?

Udon = the most delicious noodle ever. They're round and fat, and the pasta has this thick, rich texture.

OK, no, I'm exaggerating and it doesn't taste like cake. But they're much better than the thin, boring ramen XD
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby EricTheFred » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:53 pm

NekoChan_C (post: 1242361) wrote:Because of this thread, I actually sought out a ramen recipe online and bought the ingredients to make my own ramen on Friday... I used shiitake mushrooms, dried kelp, scallions, a boiled egg, chicken slices (was going to use pork, but I tend to be wary of pork when I'm pregnant) and teriyaki sauce/soy sauce... it was fantastic! \(^o^)/
... Now I just have to learn to cook a really good tempura and I'll be set! ^_^

My advice is, FIND A JAPANESE PLACE THAT DOES RAMEN!!!! It is so easy to screw up real ramen. Just a word of warning.

Tempura is very easy. Of all the Japanese cookery I've mastered, it was one off the easiest to learn. (I'm a real foodie, although I can't eat most of what I cook any more. Over the years, I've acquired the basics of Italian, Japanese, and 'Nouvelle Cuisine', and I have the milllions of cookbooks to prove it!) One thing though]Udon = the most delicious noodle ever. They're round and fat, and the pasta has this thick, rich texture.

OK, no, I'm exaggerating and it doesn't taste like cake. But they're much better than the thin, boring ramen XD[/QUOTE]

Real ramen doesn't use the skinny instant-cooking noodles of the plastic-packaged stuff. No fair comparing Udon with the instant stuff. Have a bowl of the real stuff and you may find another dish you love as much as udon.

A third to add to your list... Yakisoba!!!! Oh, how I wish I could have some yakisoba again...
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Lilac#18 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:41 pm

I would love to try the real japanese shop ramen like the one in this picture.:drool:

Takayama Ramen

FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:42 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1242427) wrote:Over the years, I've acquired the basics of Italian, Japanese, and 'Nouvelle Cuisine', and I have the milllions of cookbooks to prove it!)

Sir, please lend me some of your wisdom!

And Mochiko is awesome. =)

That being said, Ramen is so overrated. XD Real ones do look good... but... are they THAT good? ;)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:10 am

Lilac#18 (post: 1242432) wrote:I would love to try the real japanese shop ramen like the one in this picture.:drool:

Takayama Ramen

Oh, yeah. That's what I'm talking about...

Look around your area and see if there is a Japanese lunch counter anywhere in the Asian community. Here in Dallas, the place to go is Kazy's Deli. If you can't find one, then check out the Vietnamese soup kitchens (there is nearly always at least one in any medium sized city). They often have 'Pho' in their name. Some of their noodle soups bear a strong resemblence to ramen, and even those that don't, are still very good stuff.

[quote="Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1242436)"]Sir, please lend me some of your wisdom!

And Mochiko is awesome. =)

That being said, Ramen is so overrated. XD Real ones do look good... but... are they THAT good? ]

Ramen = heaven without the wings and halos. Yeah, it's okay, I guess.

If one desires any help on the cooking front, just PM me. I'm an advice addict. (both giving and receiving) when it comes to all things food.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:25 am

Ugh, I wouldn't say that Pho resembles Ramen at all.

Pho has that weird aftertaste to it. It's really more of an acquired taste that requires multiple attempts at consumption. Some days I enjoy it, other days it makes me want to barf.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:52 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1242637) wrote:Ugh, I wouldn't say that Pho resembles Ramen at all.

Pho has that weird aftertaste to it. It's really more of an acquired taste that requires multiple attempts at consumption. Some days I enjoy it, other days it makes me want to barf.

Really? I always liked Pho. I'll have to look out for that weird aftertaste next time I have it.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:55 am

Well Pho has this... somewhat strong taste to it.

It's kind of weird, if you ask me. XD Most of the time I love Pho, but I couldn't eat it frequently or anything.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:18 pm

I'm no expert on Vietnamese cuisine (never attempted it) but I suspect they use fish sauce to add some flavor to their broth in many restaurants (it varies.) It may be fish sauce you dislike, or at least the inclusion of it in your soup. Lunch-counter ramen typically uses Soy Sauce in this role.

EricTheFred

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:29 pm

Nah, it's definitely not Fish sauce.

Another thing I don't like in Pho are Cilantros. Too strong for me. D:
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Lilac#18 (post: 1242432) wrote:Takayama Ramen

Heeeeeeeeeeey, they stole our bowl (?) O__O

Ah, so that's what Udon (sp) noodles are o.o I've seen them and had them, but never realized what they were ^ ^;

I forgot, what's Tempura again o.o?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:34 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1242647) wrote:Nah, it's definitely not Fish sauce.

Another thing I don't like in Pho are Cilantros. Too strong for me. D:

You've intrigued me, so I ended up researching on another break (waiting on my computer.) I go on weird tangents, sometimes.

I found that fresh ginger or star anise both show up in a lot of Pho recipes. I've stopped thinking of these as exotic, because of twenty years married to Filipina, but they're not normal ingredients to a lot of people (except for ground up ginger in cookies and pumpkin pie), and they are both strong flavors. Might be one of these. I wouldn't expect to see either of them in ramen broth.

Take away cilantro/coriander (the greens and sometimes the seed as well), fish sauce, ginger and star anise, and the rest of the typical ingredients are just ordinary beef or chicken broth. So it's got to be one of these.

[quote="Tsukuyomi (post: 1242659)"]Heeeeeeeeeeey, they stole our bowl (?) O__O

Ah, so that's what Udon (sp) noodles are o.o I've seen them and had them, but never realized what they were ^ ^]

Just to make sure... the picture is lunch-counter style ramen. (Not sure if your comment is for the picture or not.) Udon noodles are typically thicker (although, I think ramen and udon noodles are roughly the same raw materials. It's mostly the dish that's different, and the fact that the thicker noodles cook to a different consistency.)

Tempura is fried food. Usually seafood or veggies. The difference is the batter, which makes a lighter, thinner breading than typical European, American or Chinese fried foods. Normally (but not always) in shallower oil than All-American deepfry, but not as shallow as pan-fried.

EricTheFred

Postby Debitt » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:44 pm

I like to boil the instant ramen noodles, then make my own topping of soy sauce, egg, and sauteed onions and mushrooms. In the way of "properly prepared" instant ramen, Oriental is my favorite, though I only add half the packet, then put in a little package of instant miso soup.

It's a passable substitute for actual miso ramen, which is one of my favorite things ever. :3 I'm also incredibly found of kitsune udon/ramen. My family was awesome enough to send me instant bowls of that stuff while I was in Ohio with not an asian market in sight.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:57 pm

Debitt (post: 1242678) wrote:I like to boil the instant ramen noodles, then make my own topping of soy sauce, egg, and sauteed onions and mushrooms. In the way of "properly prepared" instant ramen, Oriental is my favorite, though I only add half the packet, then put in a little package of instant miso soup.

It's a passable substitute for actual miso ramen, which is one of my favorite things ever. :3 I'm also incredibly found of kitsune udon/ramen. My family was awesome enough to send me instant bowls of that stuff while I was in Ohio with not an asian market in sight.

Get yourself some actual miso paste, instead. A package of the stuff lasts for months in the fridge. While your noodles are cooking, you can take a couple tablespoons of hot water, add it to a tablespoon of miso in a coffee cup, mix it until the miso dissolves, then dump that into your ramen. Best instant miso ramen ever. Try it!

EricTheFred

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:58 pm

Haha, my family did the same. My mom and sister sent me packets of Jin Ramen when I was in Florida.

Although there does seem to be a small Korean grocery store near my school... The lady there was convinced that I looked like some Korean celebrity or something. It was a scary experience. Next time, I'm just going to say that I'm Chinese or Japanese so they don't bother me with their lectures on why it's important to be bilingual. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby FukuokaGirl » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:41 pm

I don't usually make the ramen with a packet... as it isn't vegan. So I mix in Wasabi Soy Sauce and red hot sauce... with a tiny bit of miso paste and it's all yummy goodness.

However, I too prefer udon!!! Kitsune udon is my favorite.. though you can't make it instantly. Though I DO buy the packs of udon.

YUUUUM!
"They do exist, the places you can live renewed." -Nobuta wo Produce
[align=left]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[align=center]思い出せば遙か遙か 未来はどこまでも輝いてた きれいな青空の下で 僕らは少しだけ怯えていた

[/align]
[/align]
[size=75]

[/SIZE]
FukuokaGirl

Postby Debitt » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:53 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1242680) wrote:Get yourself some actual miso paste, instead. A package of the stuff lasts for months in the fridge. While your noodles are cooking, you can take a couple tablespoons of hot water, add it to a tablespoon of miso in a coffee cup, mix it until the miso dissolves, then dump that into your ramen. Best instant miso ramen ever. Try it!

Uwaah~ I entertained the idea of getting miso paste, but the only stuff they had at the market was $6 for a tiny bottle. orz I'll need to find me the big tubs over here next time~

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby NekoChan_C » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Hmmm, I think I will have to try the Miso paste as well... but I was satisfied with how my homebrewed ramen turned out... even if it wasnt "authentic"... I would LOVE to find a local place that serves up real ramen here in Tampa, but I can't find anything other than your standard Japanese steakhouses... many of which serve ramen, but is it "real" ramen???

*sigh*
http://myspace.com/shura_no_hana
XBox Gamertag: NekoChan Cruz
PSN Gamer ID: Neko no Ichi
http://neko-chan-cruz.livejournal.com/
NekoChan_C

Postby Tundrawolf » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:16 pm

Roast Beef, the broth is good.
Tundrawolf

Postby minakichan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:18 pm

Real ramen doesn't use the skinny instant-cooking noodles of the plastic-packaged stuff. No fair comparing Udon with the instant stuff. Have a bowl of the real stuff and you may find another dish you love as much as udon.

I don't eat instant. EWWWWWWWW. XP So udon is still the best thing ever, like friendship.

I like Pho tho, sometimes. And although udon is my favorite noodle, my favorite noodle dish is zha jiang mian. Aaaaaaaaaaaah it's so simple yet delicious... *_*
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby MadHatterChic » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:56 pm

shrimp with tofu and soy sauce mixed in
[color="Red"][font="Arial Black"]i hate you, i hate you, i hate you. so i guess that means i love you with every beat of my heart <3[/font][/color]
MadHatterChic

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:01 pm

minakichan (post: 1243817) wrote:I don't eat instant. EWWWWWWWW. XP So udon is still the best thing ever, like friendship.

I like Pho tho, sometimes. And although udon is my favorite noodle, my favorite noodle dish is zha jiang mian. Aaaaaaaaaaaah it's so simple yet delicious... *_*

MINA, YOU SHOULD SO COME TO MY HOUSE 8D WE HAVE PHO LIKE.. ALMOST EVERY WEEKEND <333

Why go to a Viet or Thai restaurant when you can come to my house ^_____^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby minakichan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:18 am

MINA, YOU SHOULD SO COME TO MY HOUSE 8D WE HAVE PHO LIKE.. ALMOST EVERY WEEKEND <333

Why go to a Viet or Thai restaurant when you can come to my house ^_____^

OOOOOOOH I TOTALLY SHOULD.

EXCEPT WE LIVE IN DIFFERENT STATES oAo;;
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:04 pm

My favorite buy-at-the-normal-store kind is the Yakisoba packs that have come out within the last year. It reminds me of the wonderful UFO bowls from Japan....without the seaweed ;_;. However, there's a restaurant here that serves Ramen Japanese style (I guess) with the bean sprouts, seaweed, pork, noodles, and hard boiled egg......that's some good stuff.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Shilohan ninja » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:37 pm

I usually eat the cup noodles from the Farmer's Market down the street from my place. My favorite flavors are chicken and beef.
Finish Strong - 2Tim. 4:7,8
"[color="SeaGreen"]Speak up for those who never get a chance to choose life rather than those who have rights and use them improperly."[/color] - A good friend of mine
[color="Purple"]Normal is a setting on a washing machine[/color]. -A youth pastor of mine
[SIZE="5"]JESUS IS LORD![/SIZE] End of descussion.
[color="Red"]Farewell to false pretention
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell tomorrow burns[/color] - Demon HunterMy Blog
Shilohan ninja

Previous

Return to General